PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy wakeboard tower

cordova
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi, I have a 1978 19' Thundercraft with a 165 merc i/o and my brother wants to put a "fully removable" wakeboard tower, Which he plans on building himself, on the boat. Now I say that's quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard, since he knows nothing about doing such a project, Or about strain on a very aged engine. The gelcoat is in great shape and the motor sounds strong with alittle over 2300 hours on it(I think). How safe of a modification is this for both the well being of the boat and the riders. I don't want my boat ruined or at the bottom of the lake. What kind of outcome should I expect if he goes through with it?

whiteworks
05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
go for it, what could possibly go wrong:D

Ziggy
05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
2x2's or 2x4's???

Miss Perfect
05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
That sounds like a REALLY BAD idea. Not only are you going to look like the freaking Beverly Hillbillies, it just does not sound safe. What if it breaks and collapses into the boat and hurts someone? Seems like it is a huge liability issue. Tell your brother to put down the crack pipe and leave your boat alone.

Throttle
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
That sounds like a REALLY BAD idea. Not only are you going to look like the freaking Beverly Hillbillies, it just does not sound safe. What if it breaks and collapses into the boat and hurts someone? Seems like it is a huge liability issue. Tell your brother to put down the crack pipe and leave your boat alone.
i dont think i have heard your opion for a long time... and a strong one you have... hi hunny!

boatsnblondes
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't listen to these guys....dream big kid. Go ahead and mount it, post some pics...make Brown jealous...:idea:

Noisy Nova
05-22-2007, 04:31 AM
I think it's time for your brother to buy his own boat.

Miss Perfect
05-22-2007, 05:23 AM
i dont think i have heard your opion for a long time... and a strong one you have... hi hunny!
Hi Cam! :D

SB
05-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Well you're not going to hurt the engine. You might hurt the boat if the mounting points are not secure, and they tear loose.
The most likely result is that a poorly constructed tower will start bending under load.
There is nothing wrong with the tower being removable, or foldable.
You might want to start small, look on ebay, look at some different designs and how they look on your style of boat. Note that some towers have a subframe.
You could start with a very simple tall pole that has a wire lead attached to the bow eye.

hoolign
05-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi, I have a 1978 19' Thundercraft with a 165 merc i/o and my brother wants to put a "fully removable" wakeboard tower, Which he plans on building himself, on the boat. Now I say that's quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard, since he knows nothing about doing such a project, Or about strain on a very aged engine. The gelcoat is in great shape and the motor sounds strong with alittle over 2300 hours on it(I think). How safe of a modification is this for both the well being of the boat and the riders. I don't want my boat ruined or at the bottom of the lake. What kind of outcome should I expect if he goes through with it?
I'm going to head out on the preverbial limb here and ask a question. Does he have any sort of engineering back ground or expierience in building structural supports? It's a bit more involved than simply bending some exhaust pipe and bolting it to the floor! :D There is quite a bit of force/torque/strain put on those towers when they are under a load. I think the mounting hardware would definitly be a concern as well as the main frame integrity.
Personally I would discourage your brother and simply have him anti up for 50% of the cost of buying a professional unit - keeping the onus of failure on the "qualified" manufacturer.
My .02

Coach
05-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Check out www.monstertower.com they make a good tower for a good price. Or we can just look for a boat like this
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/434376.jpg

Sherpa
05-22-2007, 06:45 AM
that was the pic that I was thinking about too...............
--Use your imagination, and if it's funny, we all get to laugh as well.
--Sherpa

superdave013
05-22-2007, 06:52 AM
the tripple roll bar out of his truck otta work. lol

Chase
05-22-2007, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=Coach;2576290]Check out www.monstertower.com they make a good tower for a good price. Or we can just look for a boat like this
QUOTE]
I agree...I have a monster tower on mine..it is more secure/rigid than a roswell and is cheap and easy to install...

Ziggy
05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Check out www.monstertower.com they make a good tower for a good price. Or we can just look for a boat like this
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/434376.jpg
This is the pic I was thinking of during my 2x2 or 2x4 post....:D:D:D
I'd go professional, too many things that could go wrong and harm someone..............unless your bro is a master fabricator.

Racey
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Just wood screw it to the deck, no problem.... :D :D :D

ratso
05-22-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVutfy21PcU

cordova
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
I think the're would be strain on the engine and outdrive since it's pushing the boat forward at a pretty steep angle, compared to straight on plane... Aswell the trim actuators too. I also fear for the fibreglass. The boat last saw water about 12 years ago. Everything about this just seems too unsafe even with a professionally built and mounted tower.