PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Help! Interior cleaning question

brianwhiteboy
05-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Just uncovered the boat and noticed that my white interior has brownish red spots all over the tops of the driver and passenger seats :mad: (right where the cover rests). I had the boat out a month ago, cleaned it up, let it dry, and then covered it up. I've had this custom fit cover about a year now and never had this problem. Could this have been caused by the type of cleaner I last used?
Most importantly, will it come off....by this weekend? I just picked up the Magic Eraser and it helped to dull the spots but it definitely didn't take them away. Will the Vinyl Sauce product work to remove them or am I fu_kn stuck with stained interior :2purples:

Just foreplay
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Your best bet is using Magic Erasers. You can get them at the grocery store..Then use a some "hot sauce", or Meguiars to protect it..

jkh04200
05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Simple green. That stuff is incredible. I use it on everything. I even have it in my parts washer.

brianwhiteboy
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
already tried the Magic Eraser...it helped out but didn't take them away completely. Will the Boat Bling stuff help me out any more or am I doomed???

TOBTEK
05-21-2007, 06:48 PM
don't know what you used last, and whats in your interior...BUT if you can get the boat out in the direct sun light. the UV light MAY help clear your issue????
I usually go to my doctor for little red spots....but that a whole different issue:D :D :D

brianwhiteboy
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah I'm going to leave the cover off for the next few days and see what happens. :(

TOBTEK
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
yeah I'm going to leave the cover off for the next few days and see what happens. :(
where are you located? I have some experimental shitz if you want to try it:confused: let me know IF the UV doesn't help.....Toby

brianwhiteboy
05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Tobtek,
I'm in L.A. right near LAX. I'm going to try and order some Vinyl Sauce from Teague. I need the stuff for this weekend!!

SummitKarl
05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Just uncovered the boat and noticed that my white interior has brownish red spots all over the tops of the driver and passenger seats :mad: (right where the cover rests). I had the boat out a month ago, cleaned it up, let it dry, and then covered it up. I've had this custom fit cover about a year now and never had this problem. Could this have been caused by the type of cleaner I last used?
Most importantly, will it come off....by this weekend? I just picked up the Magic Eraser and it helped to dull the spots but it definitely didn't take them away. Will the Vinyl Sauce product work to remove them or am I fu_kn stuck with stained interior :2purples:
it's a burn, from the cover...been there done that....if it has not burned the material...look close at it and see if the texture is in tact.. if it's in tact...leave the cover off and the sun will bleach it out in a day or two..
but no matter what..it's there forever now and when you cover it in the sun again it will appear again.....if the spot is DARK brown it's done, but you said reddish brown so....thats a GOOD sign it's still ok...this happens all the time in Havasu for those that cover their boat in the direct sun...your better of using a good UVA/UVB protectant, then to cover your boat in direct sunlight, try turtle wax F21 to condition your vinyl
;)

77charger
05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Mine will get them too if i leave the cover on and parked in the sunlight if i park it in the carport shade thing at home nop problem
But anyhow i uncover and hope its a bright sunny day outside and a few hours the spots are gone.I think it might have to do with mildew in the foam??

brianwhiteboy
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I live about 3 or 4 miles from the beach in L.A....so the weather is not that hot relatively speaking. I have a custom fit cover so it fits pretty snugly on the boat. The cover is waterproof (has a vinyl backing) but where it sits on the seat tops it has another type of material and I see the staining there as well.
This only happened on the tops of the driver and passenger seats and in a small area on top of the open bow seating...everywhere else is fine. I did the Magic Eraser then I just hit it with some Simple Green. I've got it as light as I can so I'm hoping the sun will take care of the rest!

brianwhiteboy
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I left the boat uncovered today and the spots went away! :D Should I expect to see them everytime I cover it up from now on?? What would be the best product to use on the interior before I cover it up?

scarabrick2
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I use the boat bling interior sauce and the magic eraser combined. That is the best.
follow it up with some uv sauce

acatitude
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
lay a towel over the seats before you cover it again problem solved

brianwhiteboy
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
i scrubbed it last night with the simple green and also used the Magic Eraser.
i'll probably get some of the boat bling uv stuff and protect it with that
thanks for all your help! ;)

BOBALOO
05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
do a search in the sandbar on spots from the cleaner you are using. I believe the unndiluted Hot Sauce can cause spots until it is left in the sun for a while.
About 3 or 4 people had the same problem and dilution and sun was the fix.

moneypit
05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Try using the magic eraser with simplegreen. That's what I had to do in some areas of my boat. The combination of the two should do it. If not, good luck with sun bleaching. Also, when you store next time, use a white painters tarp over you seats then cover it...

Just foreplay
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Try using the magic eraser with simplegreen. That's what I had to do in some areas of my boat. The combination of the two should do it. If not, good luck with sun bleaching. Also, when you store next time, use a white painters tarp over you seats then cover it...
I would agree, Magic erasers are the cats meee yowwww, simple green to help, you can also try awesome orange also..... Bottomline, once cleaned to the best you can do, prevention is the solution,,I know too late now, but for future...Use white towels, "new" painters "drop" cloths, or what ever U what U have as long as it's breathable..(Not plastic products) You now know....
Good Luck

fastsxr100
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
the brownish color is from useing an oil based cleaner or polish when temps rise under the cover it bakes the oil leave cover off for couple days and leave in the sun they will dissappear had it happen to a 27 lavey

Old school Ultra
05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Try a little Soft Scrub

brianwhiteboy
05-23-2007, 03:09 AM
all great ideas fellas! :) The Magic Eraser along with Simple Green worked, followed by a day in the sun and the spots were gone. I'll definitely be using towels next time on the seats before I cover it.

LLGirl
05-23-2007, 05:13 AM
We had the same problem last year from the cleaner we were using. Nothing would take it off. Tried all the suggestions here and then some. The only thing that worked was letting the sun bleach it out. Our boat is stored in the garage so it wasn't a sun issue that made it happen. Since then, the cleaner we were using has been diluted, and we haven't had any more issues. The original spots never came back after being bleached out by the sun.
mrll

HALLETT240
05-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Uncovered my boat just recently with the same spots, tried every chemical mentioned. It got a little better but would not remove the spots. Took the boat outside and let it sit in the sun and within the day all the spots completely disappeared. Bottom Line take it out into the sun and watch what happens.

Debbolas
05-23-2007, 05:35 AM
It was once explained to me that vinyl is pourous...so with a scrub brush (or magic eraser) and cleanser (simple green) scrub away and the stain will eventually come out. Then protect your vinyl after you scrub it.
We use Frenzy vinyl protectant...haven't had to do much since we started storing the boat inside up at BHC. We just wash it and dry it before Hans puts it away :D