PDA

View Full Version : House boats on Lake Powell

clownpuncher
05-21-2007, 10:46 PM
We're thinking of going in the late summer of '08 and getting one of them 75 footers for the 7 of us, 3 kids total. Expensive sumbitches.
Anyone have any experience lately with Powell and houseboating?

pw_Tony
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Went on the 60' footer a few years ago. Without a doubt it was the best vacation I've been on.... until I crashed a jet ski into the canyon:D

Throttle
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
it was money well spent...

OCMerrill
05-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Wife and I rented one for 6 days for our honneymoon 10 years ago. Haven't been back sense but we talk it up every year.
Place is beyond words really.
We rented a basic 36' boat. No gen and no AC but we were out exploring daily with our Reinell and just used the HB as a bed. Water kept us cool.
Only thing I can add...Houseboat and tour boat wake = BAD:mad:. Fawkers.

Outnumbered
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
I've been on several Powell HB trips. Always fun. I would not get the most expensive boat. In fact, go smaller and save some cash. Half of us end up sleeping on the deck or roof anyways. Save your money for beer and gas:D

Mardonzi
05-22-2007, 05:43 AM
The 75' Odessey class boats are nice, however, 3 story ones,,
Aramark has started bringing in a different 75 fter with all the bells and whistles at the end of this year/ beginning of next year and they are easier to handle and still have all the bells and whistles. (Hot Tub, Sat tv, etc...)
Unless you plan on spending all your time out on the houseboat, I would do what Outnumbered said. The 48' Navigator is a great boat for the amount of peeps that you are talking about.

Debbolas
05-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Be sure you like the people you are spending the week with. Very close quarters on a house boat.
Rent out of Antelope (new house boats) drive on up to Gun sight, (or cookie jar) park the houseboat and use your boat to motor all over the lake. Check out the dog house and anazazi canyon. :D
Some months there are storms every day at 3pm. It is better to be beached than out on the lake during a storm.
Some market (I can't remember the name) will drive your groceries down to your houseboat for you. With the lake so low this is worth the $. It's a long walk from the parking lot down to the houseboat.
It is a beautiful experience. Have fun! :D
Doghouse
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/1566Lake_Powell_093.jpg

gramps
05-22-2007, 05:50 AM
I think the store is Basha's. Having them load the boat is well worth the cost. If you get there and have to go grocery shopping plan on using about 1/2 of a day betwee the store and loading the boat.

Debbolas
05-22-2007, 05:52 AM
I think the store is Basha's. Having them load the boat is well worth the cost. If you get there and have to go grocery shopping plan on using about 1/2 of a day betwee the store and loading the boat.
and they won't let you have the boat until noon or 3pm? I think you can pay extra, load the boat and sleep on it overnight, leave early the next day:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/1566Lake_Powell_142.jpg
Lone Rock
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/1566Lake_Powell_151.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/1566Lake_Powell_106.jpg

AirtimeLavey
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
If you don't already have it, get a mapping GPS. It's the only way to do Powell. Also, a radio with decent range is a good thing for your boat(s). Launching from Antelope Point is the best. Love Powell. :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_xploring.JPG

Magic34
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
The 75' Odessey class boats are nice, however, 3 story ones,,
Aramark has started bringing in a different 75 fter with all the bells and whistles at the end of this year/ beginning of next year and they are easier to handle and still have all the bells and whistles. (Hot Tub, Sat tv, etc...)
Unless you plan on spending all your time out on the houseboat, I would do what Outnumbered said. The 48' Navigator is a great boat for the amount of peeps that you are talking about.
Agreed on the samller one. You can save a TON of money. Also, I think that with the 75' a captain has to take it to your spot. At least that is how they used to do it.
Just make sure it is a newer boat and you can stick with 50' or so. A few years ago we rented a 54' one (looks like the 59') and we didn't use squat for fuel. I think the fuel bill was around $150 total.
The 59' sucks more fuel than the 54'.
Also, the weather is great out there. Bring air matresses and sleep on the top, unless you kids are very young. It isn't too hot to do so. The 2 times we have rented houseboats out there, never slept inside, always on top. All other times, I slept on our (parents) boat. I haven;t been to Powell in over 3 years now though. I used to go about 3-4 times per summer.

Magic34
05-22-2007, 08:23 AM
After looking at the new boats, the 48' would be great for 4 adults and 3 kids.
I looks like a little better floor plan than the 54' as well.

ryantparks
05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
we did Antelope point last year with their brand new boats and had a fantastic time. Houseboats sure have come a long ways!
Like someone else said, get the early(overnight) checkin. We would have done that but we didnt know about it.
We also had the one with the jacuzzi on the top, BAD ASS!
Have fun

bohica
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm lucky, a buddy of mine owns a 75' boat that week take out for 10 days every year. I look forward to the trip every year. His is a launch & retrive boat that launches out of Antelope Canyon. With the cut closed due to low water, it's a long boat ride thru the narrows from Wahweap.
With the water down, a lot of weeds with stickers from hell have taken over the nice sandy beaches. We bring a garden sprayer full of gas, spray down the beach, torch it up and then rake it all up. Gets rid of all the weeds and then you have a nice beach.
Always have a VHF radio in the boat. A fixed antenna one is best as the handhelds are line of sight and don't get out of the canyon walls very well.

NdaWind
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
We just got back last week from a HB trip on Powell on the 59'er. Definately the 48 Navigator will do you real nice. We had Bashas deliver the cold foods as we could not get early boarding the night before. Early boarding is definately a big plus. We did get our paperwork done the day before and slipped our boat. We had our HB checked out and food delivered and out of the marina by 9:30. If you can take at least 7 days and use 2 to drive up and back to a canyon near Dangling Rope Marina, seems to have the most concentration of nice canyons to beach the HB and explore.

INSman
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Too bad you are not planning to go this year, as I have my share of a 10 share boat up for sale on a beautiful 75 footer that does not get rented and beat up. May still be for sale next year and we will probably take our normal 10 day trip this year.
For what you could rent one for 7 days, you could invest a little more and be an Owner for a nicer 10 day vacation each and every year with some tax benefits. Check the SPAM section to see what it is that I have. :)

pw_Tony
05-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Well when we were motoring out on the 60' and learned that one of those things drink fuel... FAST! We had it floored the whole time at bout 6mph and $300 bucks a day in gas! Well then we realized to back the speed down to 5mph and we literally saved half the gas :):D :devil:

Sleek-Jet
05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Keep on going up the lake and camp in the San Juan arm...
and sleep on top of the houseboat... or has someone already mentioned that... :D

Magic34
05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Too bad you are not planning to go this year, as I have my share of a 10 share boat up for sale on a beautiful 75 footer that does not get rented and beat up. May still be for sale next year and we will probably take our normal 10 day trip this year.
For what you could rent one for 7 days, you could invest a little more and be an Owner for a nicer 10 day vacation each and every year with some tax benefits. Check the SPAM section to see what it is that I have. :)
When are you going this year? If it is late enough, we may try to meet you up there with the Formula.

Mardonzi
05-22-2007, 10:56 AM
OK,, this is where I throw in the plug for the 3rd Annual Powellfest.
It runs August 16th through the 20th....
Luau night,, pig in the ground,,
Titties and Beer's famous Cajun Shrimp Boil
Poker run and more....

91nordic29
05-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Poker run and more....
what took ya so long??:D

Lavey5150
05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Been going to Powell for 13 years now,went last year w/ the new ride, awesome----- the houseboat is great, really expensive though, we ditched that years ago-- and you have to have a good group of folks going with, otherwise you will want to tear their heads off, being trapped on that boat for 7 days- we just boat camp now, you can get supplies out at dangling rope (60 or so miles out) for ice etc.......They have no Super Unleaded on the Lake though.........Place is beyond words beautiful..........Plus you get to stop in Vegas on the way home and spend more money....:devil:

Pheelin Phroggy
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Poker run and more....
The PowellFest is always fun! to bad we won't make it this year.

Mardonzi
05-22-2007, 04:22 PM
The PowellFest is always fun! to bad we won't make it this year.
loser:D :D

Pheelin Phroggy
05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
loser:D :D
I will remember that remark next time your badass fountain runs outta gas and needs pulled 15 miles behind a 75 footer with one motor peckerhead! hahaha

clownpuncher
05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Good info y'all.
I'm gonna have to pull this thread up as time gets closer.
I plan on taking my lil 21 footer and a couple of lice with us as well.
My original plan for the 75 footer was for the hot tub on top. If I need a skipper to drive us to camp, then forget it. I'll forego the hot tub and drive myself in a smaller boat.
Anyone know which marina is closest to So Cal?
TnB's deal. Is it every year. If so, I may have to plan around that next year:D
Thanks for all the good info.

Lavey5150
05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Page AZ. Wahweap Marina is a good...............

Debbolas
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Good info y'all.
I'm gonna have to pull this thread up as time gets closer.
I plan on taking my lil 21 footer and a couple of lice with us as well.
My original plan for the 75 footer was for the hot tub on top. If I need a skipper to drive us to camp, then forget it. I'll forego the hot tub and drive myself in a smaller boat.
Anyone know which marina is closest to So Cal?
TnB's deal. Is it every year. If so, I may have to plan around that next year:D
Thanks for all the good info.
closest marina to so cal is Wahweap.....but Antelope is NEW and beautiful.
:D
pretty much all the beaches have those bad thorns, you just need to clear the beach with rakes. Scout around for a good beach with the boat and jet ski's then drive the houseboat there and park it. Sleep on top (airmattresses, sheets, blankets, pillows) and save $ on the generator;)