PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk boat covers

Ryan00TJ
05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm going to be purchasing a new full length cover here soon and was wanting to get some feedback from others. My previous Sunbrela cover lasted 14 years before becoming so thread bare it ripped. Spent 4 of 12 months in the sun per year at the marina. Never leaked and boat was always dry inside. Also saved the gelcoat from baking in the sun.
My local guy who redid my upholstery recommended the TopGun cover material over the Sunbrela. He did great work on my upholstery and I value his opinion but was wanting to get real world experience before dropping the coin. He can also get Sunbrela and said it would come down to what I wanted.
So what has worked better Sunbrela vs TopGun?
Thanks Guys!!!

badboatdude4u
06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I think that you should stay with the sunbrella, you just cant beat the durabilty:D :D

Jasen
06-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Where is the best place to buy a Sunbrela cover?
thanks
Jasen

watergun4u
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Most any of your GOOD upolstery shop make them!:D

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Never heard of TopGun. Most upholstery places I know of use Sunbrella.

PLACECRAFT20
06-05-2007, 12:36 PM
While we are on the subject, Do you guys have the covers lined so they wont scratch the boat going down the road. My Eliminator has a full cover that covers the whole boat. But it leaves scuffs if you tow it very far.

Panic Button
06-05-2007, 04:29 PM
TopGun is stiffer and has a coating on the inside of the fabric to make it completely waterproof ie less air transfer and possiblity of mold in a wet cabin. The samples that I have seen, are heavy weight and a decent size cover will weigh 2-3 times more than a Sunbrella cover. Go with Sunbrella.

watergun4u
06-09-2007, 10:11 PM
While we are on the subject, Do you guys have the covers lined so they wont scratch the boat going down the road. My Eliminator has a full cover that covers the whole boat. But it leaves scuffs if you tow it very far.
Just alittle food for thought, I use to use a furniture pad, to lay on the deck, and then tie the cover over that if I was going to be towing long distances, and when I started doing that, it took care of the scuff marks, never had any problems after that!!!!!! just my .02:D

prop check
06-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I have heard of undercovers for cars but not boats. I am looking into a tow cover right now and am headed towards sunbrella. The cover shops seem to like working with it.

Chipster27
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd like to see a cover made out of this material. gezagear.com. They made a cover for my bike and it was super light weight and stretched to provide a very snug fit.

cruser
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
I have a cover made from TopGun material. Go with the SunBrella.

acatitude
07-11-2007, 05:38 AM
just a thougfht if your having a cover made. mine is waterproof but I also have 2 holes in my cover for air to get in and a metal adjustable pole slides into a piece of plastic and the other end rests on the floor inside. there is a pot cover shaped piece of plastic over the hole to help water drain away from the hole and still let air in. the poles are adjusted so the holes are maybe an inch higher then the rest of cover allowing water to drain away from them.. works great if it rains and helps keep moister from building up inside as air is flowing in.... just a thought
oh its a cocpit cover only, not a full cover

Classic Daycruiser
07-17-2007, 01:44 PM
People in Arizona stand behind "Sunbrella" to hold up in the sun...dry environment. But you live in a moist...shady environment. How does TopGun differ from Sunbrella material??? That is the question you should be asking:idea:

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
The few places I have received quotes from here in So Cal recommend Sunbrella. Not sure if they dont offer the other because they dont stock it or not.
The toughest part is figuring out which color you want. Been told not to use reds as they have been known to blead through to the interior of the boat. Not sure if any truth to that or not.