PDA

View Full Version : Laughlin Circle races next week........

SK48
05-23-2003, 05:03 PM
We have enough Liability problems, capsules etc. and then the Laughlin River Days committee headed by supposedly intelligent people who want to promote our sport stab us in the back. Just got the official River Days Poster for next weekends race. (It will be a classic I'm going to frame)
Wish I could scan a whole poster. The heading of the poster in bold black print " No jacket qualifies as a life jacket at 100 M.P.H. "
It then has a great shot of a black cracker box head on with two guys entering a turn.
I suppose the Laughlin River Days committee thinks that certain injury and death will sell tickets. I've lost enough friends racing that I won't support an event with that kind of promotion.

LeE ss13
05-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Ya know, the old NDBA did that in an LA Times ad in the early eighties for a Drag Boat Race at Lake Irvine. They showed boats flipping though the air and had words like "Thrills and Spills". At that race, a spectator (a young girl) got killed by a run-a-way hydro. Very tragic. Very terminal for NDBA. When promoters hype the danger, insurance companies listen. If we want to keep racing, we best not upset the insurance guys. No insurance, no race. $.02

SK48
05-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Lee, I was circle racing at Irvine lake that weekend. I was in the truck on the return road from the ramp, and the High Anxiety hydro came up the beach right next to me. Not an accident you want to be the first on scene. That ended racing at Irvine Lake.
I just can't believe the Laughlin promoters would do something like this.

wsuwrhr
05-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Seems pretty stupid to me too. I have been hearing the radio commercials touting the same
"danger,danger" theme. The first time I heard it I couldn't help to wonder, "What in the hell are they thinking?"
I quit going to races with people that go "to see the crashes." WTF is that? There are PEOPLE in those vehicles. Damn.
Brian
[ May 23, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Rexone
05-23-2003, 07:57 PM
That type of promotion really pisses me off. They're after head count in town, not necessarily anyone who gives a shit about racing. Not that we sponsor much in the way of racing these days but I would "never" put my company name in association of any event that promoted an event like that from the danger perspective, crashes, etc. It's poor taste and bad biz too.
BTW I was there that day at Irvine too. One of several sad days in the history of boat drags. Irvine was a very cool venue too.

CircleJerk
05-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Sure would like to see that Poster. Any kind of racing already has a bad enough name! Sorry to hear this.......It seems like the uphill battle to promote boat racing gets steeper and steeper! jErK

GofastRacer
05-24-2003, 05:10 AM
SK48:
Lee, I was circle racing at Irvine lake that weekend. I was in the truck on the return road from the ramp, and the High Anxiety hydro came up the beach right next to me. Not an accident you want to be the first on scene. That ended racing at Irvine Lake.
I just can't believe the Laughlin promoters would do something like this. A bunch of sick bastards that only care about making a buck, that's what they are!. :mad: I too was at Irvine, that was a tragety!.. frown

scottys
05-25-2003, 07:49 PM
I certainly don't condone personal injury for profit.But...If sensationalizum sells tickets and promote's our sport (WTF)
Maybe next year we'll see more than just a motel room.
We all know what we do is dangerous.And the insurance companie's could give a shit as long as they get there piece of the gate.
I'd personally would like seeing Detroit Iron in the lime lite.
Just my .02c

Stab-n-Steer
06-03-2003, 04:13 AM
SK48:
Wish I could scan a whole poster. The heading of the poster in bold black print " No jacket qualifies as a life jacket at 100 M.P.H. "
It then has a great shot of a black cracker box head on with two guys entering a turn.
SK,
Can't defend the script but it is one cool looking poster. The two "guys" in the cracker are John Canfield and his wife Courtney (CrackerLady) The boat is the 99P, "Black-n-Blue". The shot is from Shadow Cliffs, 2001 (Pleasanton, CA).
Courtney now rides with Amy Ross in the P-96...
S&S