PDA

View Full Version : Dwell setting on BBF Ford points ignition.(PLEASE HELP)

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 07:15 AM
How do you go about setting the dwell on a BBF Ford points distributor?
There is no little window in the distributor cap like my Olds motor had on it. The distributor cap and distributor are both solid with no adjustment window's in them. So does that mean you set the points with a feeler gauge and thats it or what?
Help me!!!!:jawdrop:

Heatseeker
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
That's how you do it. If I remember right, close up the gap to increase the dwell open it to decrease. Adjust and check with your dwell meter. It can be a pain in the rump, that much I do remember.

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 08:15 AM
That's how you do it. If I remember right, close up the gap to increase the dwell open it to decrease. Adjust and check with your dwell meter. It can be a pain in the rump, that much I do remember.
What is a good happy medium to set the points at? Tighter the gap the better?

Heatseeker
05-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Again, going from a fuzzy memory, I think the V-8 setting for dwell is 28-32 degrees. I think the point gap ends up in the .018-.022 range. The longer the dwell(points closed) the more charge to the coil. So, in your situation, I'd shoot for the higher end of the spec to ensure a full coil charge and work from there.
It's been years since I've had to think about this stuff, so don't be surprised if I'm off on some of this info.

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Again, going from a fuzzy memory, I think the V-8 setting for dwell is 28-32 degrees. I think the point gap ends up in the .018-.022 range. The longer the dwell(points closed) the more charge to the coil. So, in your situation, I'd shoot for the higher end of the spec to ensure a full coil charge and work from there.
It's been years since I've had to think about this stuff, so don't be surprised if I'm off on some of this info.
I will check my settings. What a huge pain in the azz!!!!:jawdrop: And my father wonders why I want to convert this thing to HEI.:rolleyes:

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 09:04 AM
So shoot for the .018 correct?

FOURQ
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
i just set the dwell at 30 and be done with it ..

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 09:10 AM
i just set the dwell at 30 and be done with it ..
I don't have a dwell meter(never needed one) so I am lookin' for the point setting with the feeler gauges that gets me as close as possible.

FOURQ
05-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I don't have a dwell meter(never needed one) so I am lookin' for the point setting with the feeler gauges that gets me as close as possible.
unless someone tells you i will check mine later on .....or just go buy a cheap dwell meeter or rent one from autozone or someplace like that ..

sleekcrafter
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Get a Pertronics convertion kit, and not worry about the points again, a very simple install.

Blueoval
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Forget points!!! Go with HEI for the FORD
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-SBF-BBF-351C-460-HEI-50K-Coil-Distributor-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ004QQitem Z140119105449QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
At least it is something to look into??
cheers

LakesOnly
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
So shoot for the .018 correct?As point gap decreases, dwell increases. Also, set your points on the high side of the gap spec and as the point's rubbing block wears down, the gap will stay in spec but simply be moving toward the low side of spec.
Do a cranking dwell test with a dwell meter.
LO

Dominator Scott
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Forget points!!! Go with HEI for the FORD
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-SBF-BBF-351C-460-HEI-50K-Coil-Distributor-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ004QQitem Z140119105449QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
At least it is something to look into??
cheers
Interesting. I am curious as to why the whole distributor is cheaper than the "Pertronics" system.:idea:

eek-a-RAT
05-23-2007, 05:50 PM
ya cant run hei distubutors with some intake manifolds. its to big, so ya run the pertronics kit to keep the points dist. you have now.
i have a pertronics on my volkswagen bus, ive ran for over 8 years. no probs.

sleekcrafter
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Interesting. I am curious as to why the whole distributor is cheaper than the "Pertronics" system.:idea:
I think you can sum it up as this, you get what you pay for...
HEI ignitions will start to drop off as far as spark and duration above 4500 RPM's, MSD makes a kit to relieve this problem in GM HEI units.

Moneypitt
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
As point gap decreases, dwell increases. Also, set your points on the high side of the gap spec and as the point's rubbing block wears down, the gap will stay in spec but simply be moving toward the low side of spec.
Do a cranking dwell test with a dwell meter.
LO
And, set the points while cranking and looking at the dwell meter.....Oh yeah, REMOVE the rotor first.........MP

ONAROLL
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
ya cant run hei distubutors with some intake manifolds. its to big, so ya run the pertronics kit to keep the points dist. you have now.
i have a pertronics on my volkswagen bus, ive ran for over 8 years. no probs.
Sure ya can, just buy the small cap hei and remote coil, if your talking about clearing a tunnel ram manifold...........................

4604me
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
pertronics and flame througher coil, and never mess with those points again. also toss that ballist resister.