PDA

View Full Version : Casale set up

FlatRat
02-11-2006, 07:56 AM
I pulled the the gearbox out of the Howard just to change the gears.Well,you know how that goes.Now it's stripped for a re-polishing deal.Now,as far as reassembly goes it pretty straight forward but I'm not sure how to set up the bearing cap end play.To be honest,in my haste(o.k, I was drinking) I didn't pay attention.One cap had two gaskets the other had three.What is the procedure for finding proper end play?Also,the output shaft housing had a seal -National 50151S which has a sheild on both sides.My parts guy says that they don't make that seal anymore and sent a CR 11067.What's the story?Thanks for any info -Rat

GofastRacer
02-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Measure the height of the bearing and measure the index on the cap, make up the difference with shim gaskets, they are .005 each!..Don't worry about the seal the replacement works fine!..

Kurtis500
02-11-2006, 08:34 AM
If your case is like mine you will have one taller bearings than the other. If you swap them you will hold the bearing cap up from sealing. And if you use an impact for speed or torque down on the bolts and miss that step, then you will knock the bearing race out of the case.. :rolleyes: dont ask me how I know..

GofastRacer
02-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Done that before but you notice it right away, the cap stands up way too high!..

Schiada76
02-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Art did a step by step v-drive rebulid on AZ Don's site.
I printed it and have it in the tool box.
If you can't find it I can fax you a copy.

FlatRat
02-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Art
Kurtis500
Schiada76,
Thanks for the info,that will put me back on track.
Schiada76,
if you could fax that dealio that would be great-Fax 1-406-882-4653
thanks again,Tim
:)

scottys
02-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Pick up a copy of Hot Boat ,this month has a Casale article.Easy on that cheese :)

Rexone
02-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Art you might want to post that step by step in the Gearheads tech link section. I know you had something there once but when the image center crashed those images were lost. Just an idea.

FlatRat
02-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Pick up a copy of Hot Boat ,this month has a Casale article.Easy on that cheese :)
Scottys,
have the article,just wasn't too clear on end play stuffs.Never enough cheese :crossx:

GofastRacer
02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Art you might want to post that step by step in the Gearheads tech link section. I know you had something there once but when the image center crashed those images were lost. Just an idea.
Well if you think they're might be any interest in it, I guess I could dig it up and put it in there!..
Soo, anybody interested??.. :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
02-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Scottys,
have the article,just wasn't too clear on end play stuffs.Never enough cheese :crossx:
I have not read the the article, but from what I've heard it's pretty bad just wanted you to be aware, I may be wrong though!..

Stab-n-Steer
02-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Well if you think they're might be any interest in it, I guess I could dig it up and put it in there!..
Soo, anybody interested??.. :rolleyes:
Art,
Get 'er done!!!
S&S

FlatRat
02-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I have not read the the article, but from what I've heard it's pretty bad just wanted you to be aware, I may be wrong though!..
Art,
having heard the same story, and sense this is the first Casale I've had apart that's why I came here.Yes,please dig up your article and post it up. :)

Towndrunk
02-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes please do. I won't have to pay you to do it again! :p
Thanks
TD
PS: Had the Sanger to 105 the other day. I was hopeing for more but thats all the truck would run!! :cry:

FlatRat
02-12-2006, 03:17 PM
What's the deal?Now that that the Casale is looking decent the old bolts look crappy,can I use Stainless or do I need the grade 8 12 point deals?If so,who sells new ones?Bolt Nazi?I need the ones that hold the cases together and the ones that holds the prop shaft release together. :skull:

GofastRacer
02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes please do. I won't have to pay you to do it again!
Hmmm, maybe I'd better think this over!.. :rolleyes: :)

GofastRacer
02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
What's the deal?Now that that the Casale is looking decent the old bolts look crappy,can I use Stainless or do I need the grade 8 12 point deals?If so,who sells new ones?Bolt Nazi?I need the ones that hold the cases together and the ones that holds the prop shaft release together. :skull:
Those are common bolts, don't use stainless though use the same kind you have, take a sample to the "Bolt Nazi" and he'll fix ya up no problem!..

GofastRacer
02-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Art,
Get 'er done!!!
S&S
Hey Randy, you can't use a v-drive in a Cracker ya know!... :D :D :D
I'll dig it up and post a link to it in the next day or so!.. :)

Kurtis500
02-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Done that before but you notice it right away, the cap stands up way too high!..
Not when you place the cap on and turn all bolts on about half a turn. Then run them down with an impact.. The cast case goes REALLY easy..

GofastRacer
02-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Not when you place the cap on and turn all bolts on about half a turn. Then run them down with an impact.. The cast case goes REALLY easy..
Oooops :D Bet you check the height now before running the bolts down huh!.. :D :D

Stab-n-Steer
02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey Randy, you can't use a v-drive in a Cracker ya know!... :D :D :D
I'll dig it up and post a link to it in the next day or so!.. :)
Yeah I know, but what do you think I do for fun when not racing Crackers???
It's kinda fun driving a boat that you don't have to spin 9,000 to go fast!
S&S

GofastRacer
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah I know, but what do you think I do for fun when not racing Crackers???
It's kinda fun driving a boat that you don't have to spin 9,000 to go fast!
S&S
I hear that!.. :D

Schiada76
02-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Art,
I faxed FR a copy of your guide, hope you don't mind. The pictures will probably be tough to see on a fax though. It's still on AZ Don's site though you just have to look for it.
Why no grade 8 stainless on the case though?

Rexone
02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I've used stainless before. If I was putting one together now I'd use the ARP trick high strength stainless with the small 6 or 12 pt heads.

GofastRacer
02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Art,
I faxed FR a copy of your guide, hope you don't mind. The pictures will probably be tough to see on a fax though. It's still on AZ Don's site though you just have to look for it.
Why no grade 8 stainless on the case though?
Nahh I don't care, it's out there for the world to see anyhow!..LOL..
Theyr's nothing wrong with stainless if you have plain steel press nuts, I just don't like the fact you have to make sure you lube the threads all the time if you don't have press nuts and you use stainless nuts, all it takes is one time to forget and you'll really be pissed the next time you want to pop the case!..
The ARP's that Mike is talking about are cool especially if you polish them!..

GofastRacer
02-13-2006, 11:31 AM
The link is up in the "Tech Links" section if anyones interested, it's a little over a page, the rest is crap!..LOL... :D

Schiada76
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
All the ARP 12pt are polished and my nuts are standard. :D

meaniam
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
The link is up in the "Tech Links" section if anyones interested, it's a little over a page, the rest is crap!..LOL... :D
that is funny