PDA

View Full Version : best performance part

coopers396
05-23-2007, 11:38 PM
hey guys..i got a bbc 396 w/ a 750 holley & mallory ignition and i was wondering what would be the best bolt on performance for under a G..I wanted to run a dual carb set up but i dont know what i should do..how much would a dual carb set up cost me?ur opinions are greatly appreciated
thanks guys
erick
ps if anyone has any used performance parts for a bbc396 let me know;)

RCB19
05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Spend your money on the pump first. If that's not set up properly you will be wasting your time with motor upgrades.

coopers396
05-24-2007, 12:04 AM
i have a jacuzzi wj pump i belive..im not sure what impeller i have in it but what exactly should i do to the pump..im kinda new to the whole jet thing and im trying to learn as much about how it works and whats going on as i can ya kno?thanks
erick

QuickJet
05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
hey guys..i got a bbc 396 w/ a 750 holley & mallory ignition and i was wondering what would be the best bolt on performance for under a G..I wanted to run a dual carb set up but i dont know what i should do..how much would a dual carb set up cost me?ur opinions are greatly appreciated
thanks guys
erick
A prop! After it was all said and done I picked up 18 mph without even opening up the engine. ;)
Other than that I'd find a 454 short block for your combo then sell the 396 and get some heads.

coopers396
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
A prop! After it was all said and done I picked up 18 mph without even opening up the engine. ;)
Other than that I'd find a 454 short block for your combo then sell the 396 and get some heads.
really?18 mph?damn thats crazy haha..are they hard to put in or take out shall i say?pricey at all?does it affect ur bottom end at all?

lilrick
05-24-2007, 02:44 AM
I would stay away from the dual carbs. They won't help you go any faster. If the jet pump is in good shape, then save your coin for some cubic inches!!!!

lilrick
05-24-2007, 02:45 AM
or .....a v-drive.

ck7684
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Or post it on Ebay!! :D :D

Ralph Brunt
05-24-2007, 05:24 AM
get a diverter if you dont have one best bang for the buck

ck7684
05-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Do you have a budget your working with?? What kind of exhaust do you have?? Do you know what size camshaft etc?? What size/type of boat? Pump? Impeller size??

centerhill condor
05-24-2007, 05:55 AM
credit card!

Cas
05-24-2007, 06:28 AM
what kind of hull is it?
how big is it?
how old is the pump?
has the pump been rebuilt?
does the hull have any hook?
what cam is in the engine?
what heads?
current intake?
750...mechanical or vacuum secondaries?
what kind of exhaust?
what are your intentions with the boat?
how fast is it now? what's your goal and what's your definition of fast?
these are only some of the questions that need to be answered before anyone can suggest anything......if anything will actually help.

QuickJet
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
or .....a v-drive.
That's what I was reffering to.

BrendellaJet
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
If you have a WJ, I will have an aluminum B impeller up for sale very soon. Race prepped by MPD. Very nice piece...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Or post it on Ebay!! :D :D
LMFAO!!!!!! Thats a guarenteed 100mph :D

coopers396
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
get a diverter if you dont have one best bang for the buck
what does the diverter do?If i sound stupid asking these questions please remember that im new to jet boats..i jus got my 1st boat 4 weeks ago
Do you have a budget your working with?? What kind of exhaust do you have?? Do you know what size camshaft etc?? What size/type of boat? Pump? Impeller size??
Right now my budget is around $1000 or less..im not sure what cam is in it or impeller..its a jacuzzi pump..its a 74 hondo 18ft semi flat bottom
what kind of hull is it? 74' HONDO
how big is it? 18
how old is the pump?not sure
has the pump been rebuilt?the guy i bought it off of doesnt know if he had the pump rebuilt or not
does the hull have any hook?nope
what cam is in the engine?not sure
what heads?not sure
current intake?
750...mechanical or vacuum secondaries?vacuum secondaries(had a problem when i went out this weekend cause the secondaries werent opening up)
what kind of exhaust?hardim marine thru trans
what are your intentions with the boat?well my initial intentions were to make it go a lil faster than what it goes now..everything else is in great shape..ive done a lot of work to the appearence as well as new lines and electrical connections..im shootin for something to get me between 5-10mph faster
how fast is it now? im not 100% on that one..ive never used a GPS or ne thing to track its speed
what's your goal and what's your definition of fast?i want it to do about 60-65 if possible
these are only some of the questions that need to be answered before anyone can suggest anything......if anything will actually help.
thanks for ur honesty bro..sorry i dont have a lot of specs on the engine
If you have a WJ, I will have an aluminum B impeller up for sale very soon. Race prepped by MPD. Very nice piece...
how hard is it to swap it out?how much did u want for it?what would change performance wise?

ck7684
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Best thing to do would be to get educated on how all these parts relate to each other and figure out exactly what you want this boat to do. Especially before throwing a bunch of money at it. In my opinion, I would spend the money on having the pump brought up to par for whatever you decide the boat usage will be (racing, pleasure, etc.) If for pleasure, you probly dont need a lot of the racing stuff. See what you have left after the pump is freshened up, and then maybe a cam & intake swap...
How's the performance now?? What speed and what RPM's??
Also, dont worry about asking stupid questions...you've gotta start somewhere and that's how you learn!!
P.S. Welcome to jet boating and have fun!!:)

BrendellaJet
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Its a performance piece. If you want to go fast, you need it. Its not hard to swap out, but alone it wont give you much, maybe 2-3 mph as the Jacuzzi impellers are a wreck as cast. Do you have a pic of your boat? I think I know the hull type(I have the same possibly) and can give you some input on how to proceed in terms of performance.
Before you start buying parts, decid how fast you want to go. Remember, going fast takes money & horsepower, which takes more money. Once we know your plans we can try to help you out and try to prevent you from making the same mistakes some of us have.
I think first & foremost you need a place diverter. If you plan on going fast though, 80-90 or more(depends on hull) I would not buy the Place diverter that is made for the jacuzzi. You end up in a better situation if you have your existing bowl modified(stock cast in nozzle is cut off) and the berkeley bolt pattern is welded on to your pump so you can use a droop, & a berk diverter. If you dont want to go fast, and65-70 mph is good enough, you ar eokay with the Jauzzi type Place diverter.
Back to basics: How fast do you want to go?

coopers396
05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Best thing to do would be to get educated on how all these parts relate to each other and figure out exactly what you want this boat to do. Especially before throwing a bunch of money at it. In my opinion, I would spend the money on having the pump brought up to par for whatever you decide the boat usage will be (racing, pleasure, etc.) If for pleasure, you probly dont need a lot of the racing stuff. See what you have left after the pump is freshened up, and then maybe a cam & intake swap...
How's the performance now?? What speed and what RPM's??
Also, dont worry about asking stupid questions...you've gotta start somewhere and that's how you learn!!
P.S. Welcome to jet boating and have fun!!:)
Thanks bro..im not sure what the top speed is right now but the RPMs are at around 5000 or so when im at full speed..the perfomance is awesome..it idles nice and it seems to have a lot of life in her..but thats what my opinion is..whats a sign i could look out for so i kno when the jet needs some work?I want this boat for pleasure but also to do some racing once in a while ya know?I dont want to take apart things if they dont need to be
Its a performance piece. If you want to go fast, you need it. Its not hard to swap out, but alone it wont give you much, maybe 2-3 mph as the Jacuzzi impellers are a wreck as cast. Do you have a pic of your boat? I think I know the hull type(I have the same possibly) and can give you some input on how to proceed in terms of performance.
Before you start buying parts, decid how fast you want to go. Remember, going fast takes money & horsepower, which takes more money. Once we know your plans we can try to help you out and try to prevent you from making the same mistakes some of us have.
I think first & foremost you need a place diverter. If you plan on going fast though, 80-90 or more(depends on hull) I would not buy the Place diverter that is made for the jacuzzi. You end up in a better situation if you have your existing bowl modified(stock cast in nozzle is cut off) and the berkeley bolt pattern is welded on to your pump so you can use a droop, & a berk diverter. If you dont want to go fast, and65-70 mph is good enough, you ar eokay with the Jauzzi type Place diverter.
Back to basics: How fast do you want to go?
I want to go around 65-70..thats my goal..is the place divertor the same thing as a JEt-o-vater?how much for the impeller?heres some pics of my boat
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/coopershee/IMAGE_00046-1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/coopershee/IMAGE_00042-1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/coopershee/Picture012.jpg

holorinhal
05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Looks like You have thru hull exhaust. If You are running logs You might want to cosider a set of headers, whether it be a set of thru hulls or over the transoms. It is said that You can pick up around 80 HP just by switching to headers.Wheather this is true or not I really cannot say,but I do know log's are very restrictive to the flow of the engine....Hal

lilrick
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
So, to answer the original question.....put a performance exhaust on it.

edog_103
05-24-2007, 12:24 PM
What you should do. Is spend your money on a real nice ice chest that keeps the drinks ice cold. Then take the boat out and have a good and spend the money on fuel.:D

IMPATIENT 1
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
take the 1k and buy a nice used set of headers(nice used 1's will cost ya 300-400bucks) and a new place divertor kit(i've seen them for 625.00 for a complete manual kit somewhere.think it was jetboatperformance.com) and your boat will ride better:) , sound cooler:devil: and be 4-8mph faster!!:devil:
both these upgrades could be done for about 1k if you buy a set of headers for 300 or less, which is easy to do and they're easy to find this time of yr. for bbc's.i've got nice set of twisties i'd sell for @300 plus shipping:D slight rust but they're still solid and look good;)

Statue
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Here's what a diverter does......

BrendellaJet
05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are truly happy with 65-70 then you should ge tthe place diverter made for the Jacuzzi 12WJ. That boat should go those speeds relatively stock. Id keep the log exhaust myself. On a stock boat they work fine. A set of TT headers is gonna cost you.
NICE BOAT. Not the hull I thought it was, but nice nonetheless.

BrendellaJet
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Just realized you have a 396. that will change things some. How fast does the boat go now? What RPMs are you turning?
Im not sure a 396 can become a 454, but if it can that is always a good way to pickup speed.

Bense468
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
A grand worth of NO2 and a smile

QuickJet
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Headers and save the rest for the 454.....your gonna need it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Headers and save the rest for the 454.....your gonna need it.
Get yo azz back in the v-drive section :D Wassup brotha? I just talked to barret. We are working on something;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Just realized you have a 396. that will change things some. How fast does the boat go now? What RPMs are you turning?
Check out brendella with tha questions;) :p
Good questions here. Give us more details so we can help you....

77charger
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
pump before motor.Will be better off and perform better then you can do some minor stuff to the motor from the gas you save from an efficient pump

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 08:10 PM
pump before motor.Will be better off and perform better then you can do some minor stuff to the motor from the gas you save from an efficient pump
and all of this comming from a prop guy :D :D

QuickJet
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Get yo azz back in the v-drive section :D Wassup brotha? I just talked to barret. We are working on something;)
Word!!
They let me out every once in a while and send me on recruting missions ;)
I can only guess what you two are working on. :D

bzking
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
thanks guys
erick
Best cost effective bolt on performance gain.. install an n.o.s. plate application system (providing the engine is sound) jet for 75-100 hp and let let er rip..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Word!!I can only guess what you two are working on. :D
You know how da Spitter rolls :D :D

b's sanger
05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Looks like You have thru hull exhaust. If You are running logs You might want to cosider a set of headers, whether it be a set of thru hulls or over the transoms. It is said that You can pick up around 80 HP just by switching to headers.Wheather this is true or not I really cannot say,but I do know log's are very restrictive to the flow of the engine....Hal
Headers will produce your biggest gain with bolt on.

ck7684
05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
IMO it looks like you have a pretty sweet boat there...if your happy with the performance now I would just enjoy it and save the cash up for bigger and better down the road (454 or larger)...:)

coopers396
05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
thanks for all ur opinions guys..i think im gonna get a place divertor and mayb an impeller..anyone have one for a jacuzzi pump?
erick

suckin&pumpin
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
thanks for all ur opinions guys..i think im gonna get a place divertor and mayb an impeller..anyone have one for a jacuzzi pump?
erick
go to the lake, look good, have fun, and save your cash for the repairs you WILL be doin, and remember if you break it and it costs less than a grand YOU HAD A GOOD DAY!!!!