PDA

View Full Version : Right to Shoot ???

Liberator TJ1984
05-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Now it seems I can't turn on the TV or read the paper where someone is getting attacked by dogs somewhere today. I have noticed there are several "Breeders " in my neighborhood that do not have their dogs chained or restrained.....if I have a concealed permit and right to carry , what is the results if I dust one of these bastards that always tries to come after me ??:mad: I mean wouldn't that be Self Defense ? My boy ( 10 ) has to walk past these dogs with his friends to get to a skate park that is less than 100 yards from my house , and there is no fence around the park , so the dogs could go after the kids if something sets them off ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:

SB
05-24-2007, 07:06 AM
If those dogs step off the owner's property, blast away.

tamalewagon
05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
I would call Animal Control on these folks. They will hassle these folks into chaining up their dogs and keeping the kids in the neighborhood safe.

HokeySon
05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:
good idea to talk to them or call authorities now if you are worried.
I do not know TX law, but if you are defending someone's life you should be okay.
Also, dogs are generally considered "property" so you exposure it limited to replacement cost -- no punitive damages or pain and suffering. just like if you shot your nieghbors car.
California also has an old law, still on the books, that a property owner can kill any loose dog on his own property if he keeps livestock on the property. I would bet TX has something like that too.
So, maybe, you should buy a sheep and make your son take it with him to the skatepark. If the authorites don't buy that you were defending your son, maybe they will agree you were defending you sheep. Or maybe one of those fainting goats -- it faints, dogs get it -- son runs away - neighborhood gets BBQ goat.

uvindex
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Now it seems I can't turn on the TV or read the paper where someone is getting attacked by dogs somewhere today. I have noticed there are several "Breeders " in my neighborhood that do not have their dogs chained or restrained.....if I have a concealed permit and right to carry , what is the results if I dust one of these bastards that always tries to come after me ??:mad: I mean wouldn't that be Self Defense ? My boy ( 10 ) has to walk past these dogs with his friends to get to a skate park that is less than 100 yards from my house , and there is no fence around the park , so the dogs could go after the kids if something sets them off ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:Of course it's lawful to use your weapon if you fear for your life or are protecting the life of another person. Just be sure that's the case (to save yourself a world of hassles). In other words, shooting a dog because it's a nuisance or running wild isn't the same as shooting it because you're in fear for your life. Hope it doesn't come to that. :)

phebus
05-24-2007, 07:30 AM
I'd be concerned where that bullet went after it passed through the dog.

uvindex
05-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I'd be concerned where that bullet went after it passed through the dog.Anytime a person lawfully discharges a firearm they're supposed to pay attention to what's behind their target as part of the decision to fire -- part of concealed weapon permit training in most places, not to mention common sense. :)

Liberator TJ1984
05-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Just trying to get the feedback from others out there , one dog has actually come across the street and tried to nip at my ankle , he got a good whackin' with a skateboard on the noggin :D but he's still just pretty much a pup , just kinda worried about when they get older . they will snap at just about anyone walking down the street or on bikes , for now I got my boy one of those mace sprays that the mailmen use

phebus
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Anytime a person lawfully discharges a firearm they're supposed to pay attention to what's behind their target as part of the decision to fire -- part of concealed weapon permit training in most places, not to mention common sense. :)
I understand that, but when a pit bull has ahold of your left nut, try to practice it. :)

HokeySon
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
for now I got my boy one of those mace sprays that the mailmen use
So you have defintitely ruled out the sheep idea?

Baja Big Dog
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Call animal control??? Yea right, they work at the speed of a turd.
Animal control on pit bulls should be in the form of lead poisoning...say 52 grains, of the hollow point boat tail from a 22-250, but we need rules, you can only shoot them if they are over 200 yards away, got to give them a chance!!:eek:

Liberator TJ1984
05-24-2007, 07:38 AM
I'd be concerned where that bullet went after it passed through the dog.
I use nothing but AFR ( Air Freedom Rounds ) Frangible upon impact They will take whatever out you are shooting at , but will disentegrate when hitting a solid object , made for defense use inside aircraft ...R2LP 45cal
www.extremeshockusa.com
R2LP-Extraordinary Capability & A New Level Of Control
The reduced over-penetration and reduced ricochet characteristics of these rounds are nothing short of revolutionary. Over-penetration is minimized as the complete energy of the AFR bullet, including the fragmented bullet itself are typically contained within the target. The risk to EMS personnel is reduced because the rounds don't leave the many glove-shredding, razor sharp fragments of traditional rounds. The ExtremeShockâ„¢ AFR round disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls and airplane skins, but retains astonishing stopping power on organic targets. Its capability for inside-the-aircraft antiterrorism operations is legendary within the special operations community

Wet Dream
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
You have a CC? Fire away. Just make sure you hit the intended target and not some kid. You'll end up in an investigation, and maybe have to pay the value of the dog if the owner sues. The attacking dog is worth more dead than alive. Or you can watch some kid (yours) get mamed by a dog, and cling to life, go through countless surgeries, become physically and emotionally scarred for life, pay out the ass for medicals bills, rehab, lost work, trauma, try to sue the owners, etc. Need more?

Baja Big Dog
05-24-2007, 07:52 AM
You have a CC? Fire away. Just make sure you hit the intended target and not some kid. You'll end up in an investigation, and maybe have to pay the value of the dog if the owner sues. The attacking dog is worth more dead than alive. Or you can watch some kid (yours) get mamed by a dog, and cling to life, go through countless surgeries, become physically and emotionally scarred for life, pay out the ass for medicals bills, rehab, lost work, trauma, try to sue the owners, etc. Need more?
Perfect, shoot the little bastard dogs and walk by the owners house and throw them quarter...and ask for change!!:jawdrop:

centerhill condor
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
I usually carry a box cutter for just such a chance!

zudnic
05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Most states have the protecting livestock on your property. WA allows protecting yourself if off the dogs owners property. I have 3 Rottweilers, they are trained and never outside without me or another human that can control them. Each is taken out one on one with me if I'm alone, never just me and 3 outside together. So if someone try's shooting at them, they have to go through me first!!!!! :D
I'm a dog lover including pitts, but, if someone cant take basic steps to control them, by all means shoot away!!!! :idea:
I have a good story related to this subject, at least I found it funny. A close family friend was in the diplomatic core stationed in Thailand in the early 70's. Being South East Asia and Vietnam still active, certain people with the consulate got Thai military body guards at their home. Well our friend lived in a neighborhood with other countries consulate people living on his street. A Soviet guy almost across the street had guard dogs, they kept getting out of the yard. One almost attacked some kids playing on the street. My friend told his body guards to shoot them if they get out of that yard again. He also warned the Soviet guy and his house staff that his guy's would shoot them. Well he came home that night and found his share of dog meat left by his body guards!!!!!

Wet Dream
05-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Perfect, shoot the little bastard dogs and walk by the owners house and throw them quarter...and ask for change!!:jawdrop:
Exactly

RiverDave
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't suppose talking to the owners of the dogs about the problem crossed anyones mind?
RD

Jbb
05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't suppose talking to the owners of the dogs about the problem crossed anyones mind?
RD
There's an idea......
Here's another...............RD SUX.....:D

Just foreplay
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Now it seems I can't turn on the TV or read the paper where someone is getting attacked by dogs somewhere today. I have noticed there are several "Breeders " in my neighborhood that do not have their dogs chained or restrained.....if I have a concealed permit and right to carry , what is the results if I dust one of these bastards that always tries to come after me ??:mad: I mean wouldn't that be Self Defense ? My boy ( 10 ) has to walk past these dogs with his friends to get to a skate park that is less than 100 yards from my house , and there is no fence around the park , so the dogs could go after the kids if something sets them off ......anyone got any insides on the legalities :idea:
I say cover your bases..
Talk to the neighbor first and foremost, let him/ them know your concerns. Also call animal control at the same time, even though they are slow (as snails), it will documented.Document, document, document. Once you have tried/ exhausted your your possibilities and the dogs come after you, your kids or family..Then blast away and leave them in a heap...
Don't get me wrong I am a dog lover and I understand some times dogs "escape" out of the yard. But as a owner, they need to take some responsibility too...I had a very large doberman that I would play with in the front yard, but I took the time (hint, key word) to make sure the neighbors were comfortable with him. And yes there were times he would sneak off and go visiting. But none of my neighbors got their panties in a bunch...
Well except the new mail man..that's a whole other story..lol
It's a fine line to pull it and use it, but when it comes down to family safety..
I would rather explain my self in court, rather than put a loved one through the trama...
That's just my .02..

HokeySon
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
RD
see post #4 ("good idea to talk to them").
But I really liked my sheep idea better.