PDA

View Full Version : On Star Rocks...

MudPumper
05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Got home late last night exhausted. Getting ready to go run a million erands today and I can't find my keyes. Call the wife at work to see if she grabbed them by accident. She has her set but not mine. No spare set at the house. Banging my head against the wall trying to find them and now I'm running late. Maybe I locked them in the truck. Look in the window, don't see anything. Call Onstar and have them unlock the doors to check and sure as shit, they fell down into the door panel pocket.
Thanks Onstar, you just saved my day. Now if UPS could deliver my lost Valve Covers I'd be set.:D

05-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Onstar is great for that, but if the vehicle hasnt been starting in 24 hrs
no luck then its AAA

Havasu_Dreamin
05-24-2007, 12:22 PM
I've got OnStar as well but I struggle to understand how someone can lock their keys in late model vehicles...Doesn't everyone use the key fob to lock the doors?

uvindex
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I've got OnStar as well but I struggle to understand how someone can lock their keys in late model vehicles...Doesn't everyone use the key fob to lock the doors?Yep, but my Suburban and Silverado have the delayed lock feature. When at least one door is open, you press the fob then hear a chime. The doors lock a few seconds after the last door has been closed. SO, if somebody accidentally set their keys, for example, in the luggage compartment while unloading baby's stroller, they'd be SOL. (Hasn't happened to me, fortunately, but that's one way I can think of that it could happen.) :)

AZJD
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
They do however get mad when you hit the button at 11pm and ask em for directions to the tittie bar......:jawdrop:

duner21
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
They do however get mad when you hit the button at 11pm and ask em for directions to the tittie bar......:jawdrop:
:D

Bense468
05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah they were not happy at 1:30 either :D

AZJD
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Mecedes Benz was more than happy to help us when we hit the SOS button.:D

AZJD
05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Besides they probably thought you were an unemployed loser going to a strip club at 1:30 in the afternoon.:devil:

mrs.rvrluvr
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I haven't had to use my Onstar in an emergency, thank goodnes. But they have been very helpful in locating the nearest Starbucks and sushi restaurants for me.

Ziggy
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Mecedes Benz was more than happy to help us when we hit the SOS button.:D
If I'm not mistaken, MB and I think even Lexus uses the OnStar system but has their own dedicated personel.......

AZJD
05-24-2007, 01:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken, MB and I think even Lexus uses the OnStar system but has their own dedicated personel.......
This was about 4 years ago so I am not sure. We were out of town and asked for the nearest on and they found it for us....

laveycrafter
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Those Onstar people and myself were on a first name basis after my 5th Allison tranny went out. Truck ended up being lemon-ed. Turns out it was built the day after superbowl by a hungover monkey. So many more problems, but not enough give a shitzu to write about it, but the Onstar worked every time! Made my move to the dark side and am Rolling a TUNDRA! No onstar, but at least the trans wont go out every 3k miles!

2Driver
05-24-2007, 02:45 PM
The built in Sat phone is great too. We always have coverage. We used it in weak cell spots on the way to the river.
We know some people that had an accident while dune-ing and had no cell coverage to contact 911. A guy came by with onstar and the helicopter was on its way.
Nice to have contct when you are out of reach or in the boonies.

uvindex
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
The built in Sat phone is great too. We always have coverage. We used it in weak cell spots on the way to the river.The OnStar voice communication is over cellular networks, not satellite. :) (It does get your car's position using GPS, but that's it.) If you're able to get an OnStar operator when your cell isn't working it could be because the provider OnStar is using has better coverage there, or because your vehicle's OnStar antenna is better than the tiny one in your cell phone.

Screemy1
05-24-2007, 05:44 PM
The OnStar voice communication is over cellular networks, not satellite. :) (It does get your car's position using GPS, but that's it.) If you're able to get an OnStar operator when your cell isn't working it could be because the provider OnStar is using has better coverage there, or because your vehicle's OnStar antenna is better than the tiny one in your cell phone.
yep.... it is just a Verizon cell phone built into your car.... I have many times been screwed when it would not work.... but I heard that the red cross button works off the emergenc signal which is bumped up to get a signal when it normally would not.... that is just hearsay though....

'78 gt boat
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

shueman
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
At least they don't have an Indian accent...:D ....yet