PDA

View Full Version : Cable or Satellite?

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what I want in the new house. Right now I have Cox cable and internet and I like it a lot but the house I'm buying isn't in Cox's area. Time Warner is but I hear they suck. The house is already setup for Direct tv so I'm thinking of going that route but not sure what to do about internet. What do you guys have and do you like it? Anyone running with Time Warner cable? If so what do you think of it?

Kilrtoy
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I have had them all and TIME WARNER is by far HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST.....
i had digital for years

AZJD
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Are you talking about the way she is gonna keep tabs on you?
I would say sattelite is the best. GPS locator would be way better than tieing you to the front porch............:D :D :D :D

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I have had them all and TIME WARNER is by far HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST.....
i had digital for years
Really? The few people I talked to said it sucks. I really want to stay with cable for the internet so I'd like to have the same for the tv.

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Are you talking about the way she is gonna keep tabs on you?
I would say sattelite is the best. GPS locator would be way better than tieing you to the front porch............:D :D :D :D
:mad: :mad: :mad: :D

AZJD
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Really? The few people I talked to said it sucks. I really want to stay with cable for the internet so I'd like to have the same for the tv.
Go with Cox. I have had them for years and haven't had a single problem. Internet is great.

Kilrtoy
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Go with Cox. I have had them for years and haven't had a single problem. Internet is great.
I have cox now,
i love my 10 spanish channels and my 10 asian channels
I mean seriously THEY ARE GREAT

Riveratz
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what I want in the new house. Right now I have Cox cable and internet and I like it a lot but the house I'm buying isn't in Cox's area. Time Warner is but I hear they suck. The house is already setup for Direct tv so I'm thinking of going that route but not sure what to do about internet. What do you guys have and do you like it? Anyone running with Time Warner cable? If so what do you think of it?
For HD, Satellite is the only way to go. (DirecTV)

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I would if I could. The new house is out of Cox's area.

djunkie
I have cox now,
Well your name is Miquel. :D :D

AZJD
Guess if I read your post I would have known that!:D :D

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Guess if I read your post I would have known that!:D :D
Well we all know your a little slow so I figured pointing that out to you would be a waste of time. :D

Kilrtoy
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Well your name is Miquel. :D :D
That is just what i told you
my real name is Michael Anthony JOHNSON

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
For HD, Satellite is the only way to go. (DirecTV)
Thats what I hear. Only thing I don't like is the East Coast times on some of the channels but I guess a DVR would solve that. Still on the fence about internet though.

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
That is just what i told you
my real name is Michael Anthony JOHNSON
I'd believe you if it was an Italian last name. But Johnson??? :confused: :D :D

SummitKarl
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM
look......our little DJ is being all domestic and shiat
it just kinda brings a tear to your eye don't it:) :D

Turboelimtim
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I have Cox for cable modem and phone (saves $10/month for combo). I've had directv for 12 years now and am fairly happy with their service. Product is great, but customer service is lacking. It took them 3 months to do my HD upgrade, but I ended up getting the receiver and 12 months of HD service for free when I threatened to bail on them. They are going to supposedly add 150 channels of HD over the next year or two, so if you want HD, I think they are, or at least will be, the best choice. Do a price comparison for the exact services you want and decide. Good luck, Tim

AZJD
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Well we all know your a little slow so I figured pointing that out to you would be a waste of time. :D
:D :D :D

djunkie
05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I have Cox for cable modem and phone (saves $10/month for combo). I've had directv for 12 years now and am fairly happy with their service. Product is great, but customer service is lacking. It took them 3 months to do my HD upgrade, but I ended up getting the receiver and 12 months of HD service for free when I threatened to bail on them. They are going to supposedly add 150 channels of HD over the next year or two, so if you want HD, I think they are, or at least will be, the best choice. Do a price comparison for the exact services you want and decide. Good luck, Tim
I heard the same the other day on the HD with Direct tv. I'd love to keep my Cox internet but its not their area. :(

WYRD
05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I have cox now,
I am not sure but I think there may be a corny underlying cox joke here:eek: :D

Wheeler
05-24-2007, 01:06 PM
There is another thread here, people we speaking of Verizon FIOS, check it out, the speeds from the ISP seem phenomenal, well at least for home use.

Jyruiz
05-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I would go DTV, it is cheaper for the same service and will bend over backwards to keep you. Also, if you plan on going with an HD DVR, DTV's offers more storage capacity over cables offerings and it is also less expensive, plus more HD channels and are about to add a lot more. Call them, tell them you are debating about going with Dish or cable and ask them what are they offering, they will try to beat those others providers. If that does not work, Dish right now is offering to set you up with HD and there HD DVR for $49.00 upfront and that includes all the equipment and installation, you will have to sign up for there HD service and an 18 month contract, but it will still be less expensinve than going with cable and Dish also has more HD channels than cable.
Good luck on what ever you decide and LMK if you have any questions or help with anything.

Kilrtoy
05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I am not sure but I think there may be a corny underlying cox joke here:eek: :D
Firgures since we ar discussing COX and JOHNSON, you show up..
Im sure EL4L will be here SHORTly...:D

djunkie
05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I would go DTV, it is cheaper for the same service and will bend over backwards to keep you. Also, if you plan on going with an HD DVR, DTV's offers more storage capacity over cables offerings and it is also less expensive, plus more HD channels and are about to add a lot more. Call them, tell them you are debating about going with Dish or cable and ask them what are they offering, they will try to beat those others providers. If that does not work, Dish right now is offering to set you up with HD and there HD DVR for $49.00 upfront and that includes all the equipment and installation, you will have to sign up for there HD service and an 18 month contract, but it will still be less expensinve than going with cable and Dish also has more HD channels than cable.
Good luck on what ever you decide and LMK if you have any questions or help with anything.
The house already has the dish and cables run to all the rooms so I think we may go with the Direct tv. But I'm still in the air on the internet. After having cable I hate to go back to DSL. My cable smokes the DSL I had.

djunkie
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Firgures since we ar discussing COX and JOHNSON, you show up..
Im sure EL4L will be here SHORTly...:D
Cole Trickle will have something to say too I bet. :devil:

dmontzsta
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
DirecTV is taking over the world.

Jyruiz
05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
The house already has the dish and cables run to all the rooms so I think we may go with the Direct tv. But I'm still in the air on the internet. After having cable I hate to go back to DSL. My cable smokes the DSL I had.
Go with DTV and take the current dish down since they will install a new one for you. That way, you can always get a second DTV receiver and install it at the Havi house and it will only cost you another $5.00 a month.

zudnic
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Direct TV has internet. Wind storm knocked out my dish since moving and not watching much TV went back to cable. In the new house when found and moved in Direct is going back up......
http://www.usdirect.com/directv/direct-tv-satellite-internet.html

WYRD
05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Go with DTV and take the current dish down since they will install a new one for you. That way, you can always get a second DTV receiver and install it at the Havi house and it will only cost you another $5.00 a month.
Now thats not exactly legal:rolleyes: :D

Biglue
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Now thats not exactly legal:rolleyes: :D
And he says he's not beaner. :D :D

Biglue
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Cole Trickle will have something to say too I bet. :devil:
He only talks about your johnson. :D :D :D

Jyruiz
05-24-2007, 01:34 PM
And he says he's not beaner. :D :D
I am not, beaners are not smart enough to figure that out.:D:D

Biglue
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Kick back foo, you know your Messican in laws let you in that little secret. :D :D :D

WYRD
05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
He told me he was middle american:D

JetBoatRich
05-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I like our DirecTV:D

bead
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
id go with the dish , if you have an RV it can go with you . cable is only so long.

Ziggy
05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
But they sure know how to work the welfare and heathcare systems

Parker Dreamin
05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
go with Verizon FIOS if you can.
They have a pretty good package deal for phone, internet, Tv... about $100.
This is what I am running and do not have any complaints. You just have to see if they are that high tech in Lomita...

Fire Angler
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
If your a sports fan, Directv. Cable has on demand, but no NFL Package.
If you have a motorhome, get directv.

Boozer
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I have Comcast cable and DirecTV.
If I could do the NFL package without signing a damn contract I would only have DirecTV during Football season. Needless to say my DirecTV is only used on so many sundays a year.
OnDemand is the fawkin shiznit. Wanna watch a new movie? You can watch that thing anytime you want with OnDemand. The channel lineup on cable makes a hell of a lot more sense, and I don't know about cable out there but here I have about 15 HD channels already, seems like they are adding a new one every month now too.

Redwing247
05-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Baller.........what happened with your dial up??
:D :D
Time Warner is fine for us.

djunkie
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Baller.........what happened with your dial up??
:D :D
Time Warner is fine for us.
I've never had dial up. I ain't no 76 foo. :D :D

Beer-30
05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
I went from digital cable to DishNetwork and couldn't be happier. Double the picture quality. Most channels on dig cable still had some grainy attributes and flaws. All gone with sat. Nice and clear. Even on rainy days, I have not had any quality issues.

Jyruiz
05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
The only thing I like about cable TV over Dish and DTV, is cable does not overly compress the HD channels and send almost the full bitrate. So better HD picture over cable for now, but some cable companies are starting to go the Dish and DTV route to fit more HD channels. Get ready for HD-Lite.:D

Beer-30
05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I wonder if a fiber optic feed would have more bandwidth? If so, I would imagine that would be the next dealio. From what I recall, FO flows the most data. But, this is not really my field so I may be way wrong.

Jyruiz
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I wonder if a fiber optic feed would have more bandwidth? If so, I would imagine that would be the next dealio. From what I recall, FO flows the most data. But, this is not really my field so I may be way wrong.
Yes it does and if it was offered in my area I would have already jumped. I hope now that DTV has launched two new sats and going with Mpeg4, that they will turn up the signal for there HD channels later on this year. I doubt it though, specailly since they are going to be adding so many HD channels.

desertbird
05-25-2007, 11:21 AM
TIME WARNER HD with DVR is the best.
HDTV
DVR
HD PAK
MOVIE PAK
INTERNET
$100/ month

Beer-30
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes it does and if it was offered in my area I would have already jumped. I hope now that DTV has launched two new sats and going with Mpeg4, that they will turn up the signal for there HD channels later on this year. I doubt it though, specailly since they are going to be adding so many HD channels.
It'll be here one day.

djunkie
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Well I'm still not sure what the hell to do. Direct tv is sounding like the way to go but I want cable for my internet. :cry: :cry:

Jyruiz
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Well I'm still not sure what the hell to do. Direct tv is sounding like the way to go but I want cable for my internet. :cry: :cry:
So go that route, that is exactly what I have. Charter cable for internet and Direct TV for, well you know for what.

djunkie
06-04-2007, 12:34 PM
So go that route, that is exactly what I have. Charter cable for internet and Direct TV for, well you know for what.
I was looking at Verizon Fios for the whole bundle deal for $100/month but not sure if the internet will be even close to the speed of cable. I don't have patience for slow internet. But the monthly price looks tempting.

RitcheyRch
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Direct TV here and have never had any issues with them.

Jyruiz
06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I was looking at Verizon Fios for the whole bundle deal for $100/month but not sure if the internet will be even close to the speed of cable. I don't have patience for slow internet. But the monthly price looks tempting.
If it is Fios, I am pretty sure there internet will be just as good as cable, if not better. Go for it.

Jyruiz
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
We had time warner cable...it sucked! Went out for days at a time, no customer service.
We got Direct TV, clean intall, good service, and the only problems are occaisional "freezes" where the pic stalls for a few seconds and then continues.
No help with the internet though.
You might need your dish realigned, or your DirecTV receiver is heating up.

yopengo
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
We have Direct TV and then DSL for the internet. Never had an issue with the DSL. It is faster that both neighbors with cable.

It's all Good
06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Verizon Fios rocks for Internet. You can't beat the 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $50/month.
Not sure if I'd go with their TV offering yet. DirecTV for me.

djunkie
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Verizon Fios rocks for Internet. You can't beat the 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $50/month.
Not sure if I'd go with their TV offering yet. DirecTV for me.
I just got off the phone with the wonderful people at Verizon. I now feel like beating my head into a wall for the wasted time I spent with these morons. Apparently they aren't sure if its available in my area. :jawdrop: So now its looking like either Direct tv/time warner cable internet or Time warner cable for it all. :rolleyes:

HOOTER SLED-
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
:) I just got off the phone with the wonderful people at Verizon. I now feel like beating my head into a wall for the wasted time I spent with these morons. Apparently they aren't sure if its available in my area. :jawdrop: So now its looking like either Direct tv/time warner cable internet or Time warner cable for it all. :rolleyes:
We had Direct TV and SBC (now AT&T) DSL when we were in Torrance. No probs.........still have the same over here.:)

djunkie
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
:)
We had Direct TV and SBC (now AT&T) DSL when we were in Torrance. No probs.........still have the same over here.:)
How much a month is your DSL?

Redwing247
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Here's the special they have, $14.99/month, 2 months free and no contract. Much better than the dial up you're using...:D
http://www.att-yahoodsl.com/atty.html

djunkie
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Here's the special they have, $14.99/month, 2 months free and no contract. Much better than the dial up you're using...:D
I think you keep confusing me with that 76 guy. I've never had dial up. I used to have DSL but cancelled it to go with Cox Cable for internet and I love it. There's no way I'm going back to that slow DSL like that. I think I'll just go with the Time Warner internet. Its more money but its worth it for the speed.

Double A
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
We just changed from Time Warner to Direct. Direct has a better quality picture for us. I don't like their remote though, lags on channel changes, the buttons seem hard for me to use.

Redwing247
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I think you keep confusing me with that 76 guy. I've never had dial up. I used to have DSL but cancelled it to go with Cox Cable for internet and I love it. There's no way I'm going back to that slow DSL like that. I think I'll just go with the Time Warner internet. Its more money but its worth it for the speed.
That's what I have, TV, phone and internet package.
Speaking of ole'76...how did he do that much posting on a dial up ??:confused: :confused:

EmpirE231
06-04-2007, 02:17 PM
I have directv and sbc/ att for dsl $14.99 a month... works pretty quick, better than my old charter cable did. and you can even get the quicker one for like an extra 5-7 bucks a month.
DTV always has killer rebate and deals going on, free install, etc.... and you can rewind live TV if you have the dvr :)
Oh... and if you do go with em... tell them I referred you.. so I can get a $50 credit :D :D

HOOTER SLED-
06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
My bill is usually right around $60ish.............but that's $39.99 for DSL............I think when you first sign up you can get there special for $29.99/mo. I may have even seen it for $19.99/mo. BUt it's for like 6 months or 1 yr. Can't remember. Tell them you are shopping around. SAme with Direct TV....bargain with them, it worked for me. I got 3 free boxes, and free install. If you don't ask, they won't just give it out. The person on the phone started bargaining when I said I'd call back and that I was gonna check around. :)

HOOTER SLED-
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
There ya go.....that's cool. HOw long for the $14.99 though? And no contract is good..........then if you no likey......you can say see ya beeeeeyatch. Kinda like what your girl is gonna do to you when she moves in with you and sees what you are really like. :crossx:

djunkie
06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
There ya go.....that's cool. HOw long for the $14.99 though? And no contract is good..........then if you no likey......you can say see ya beeeeeyatch. Kinda like what your girl is gonna do to you when she moves in with you and sees what you are really like. :crossx:
Phucker!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

HOOTER SLED-
06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I have directv and sbc/ att for dsl $14.99 a month... works pretty quick, better than my old charter cable did. and you can even get the quicker one for like an extra 5-7 bucks a month.
DTV always has killer rebate and deals going on, free install, etc.... and you can rewind live TV if you have the dvr :)
Oh... and if you do go with em... tell them I referred you.. so I can get a $50 credit :D :D
Yea, what he said. :D

HOOTER SLED-
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
:devil: Phucker!!!!!!:mad: :mad:
:devil:

MBlaster
06-04-2007, 02:28 PM
id go with the dish , if you have an RV it can go with you . cable is only so long.
True, I pull a receiver out of the house and plug into my rv.
Life is good.
WTF djunkie, you leaving the hood and moving to torrance?

djunkie
06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
True, I pull a receiver out of the house and plug into my rv.
Life is good.
WTF djunkie, you leaving the hood and moving to torrance?
Lomita. And if you think R.P.V. is the hood, then you better think again :D :D