PDA

View Full Version : Seasons over for me

67weimann
05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, just toasted my motor earlier this week. Went out for a peacuful afternoon after work and after a pass around the lake, I looked back to see oil EVERYWHERE. Stopped, pulled dipstick and what did I see? Milkshake...
Trailered it and brought it home, pulled a valve cover and it was horrible sight. So I started the tear down. Got the heads off and noticed what seemed to be a crack in the cylinder wall of #4. Finished tear down today and #4 is definately cracked and #1,4,5,7,8 top rings were all broken. Time to build it bigger and better. So much for summer. Think of me when you guys are out there soaking up the rays and the beers...:(

beerjet
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Very unfortunate . I'm sure someone has an extra seat you can occupy during the summer.
-beerjet-

Blown 472
05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
F uck that, throw a junk yard motor in it and build your other one.

67weimann
05-24-2007, 04:45 PM
That thought already crossed my mind...:D :D

cave
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I second this

Fiat48
05-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, just toasted my motor earlier this week. Went out for a peacuful afternoon after work and after a pass around the lake, I looked back to see oil EVERYWHERE. Stopped, pulled dipstick and what did I see? Milkshake...
Trailered it and brought it home, pulled a valve cover and it was horrible sight. So I started the tear down. Got the heads off and noticed what seemed to be a crack in the cylinder wall of #4. Finished tear down today and #4 is definately cracked and #1,4,5,7,8 top rings were all broken. Time to build it bigger and better. So much for summer. Think of me when you guys are out there soaking up the rays and the beers...:(
If you are a hands on guy:
Take the block to a machine shop and have them sleeve the hole.
Put a set of rings in it....wipe it's ass and throw it back in and finish the season.
Then start over....with another block in the winter.

squirt'nmyload
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
sorry to hear man.....you know you got a seat with me buddy :)

throwerb
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear your bad luck, same thing happened to me last season.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
If you are a hands on guy:
Take the block to a machine shop and have them sleeve the hole.
Put a set of rings in it....wipe it's ass and throw it back in and finish the season.
Then start over....with another block in the winter.
Good point bob;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Here ya go!!! Trun that 55 mph boat into a 65mph boat easily!!!
for $2200 you cant beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151524&highlight=454

smokinjoe
05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
how did it crack? did it freeze over the winter during storage ? that sucks I hate it when that happens

Rexone
05-24-2007, 09:35 PM
With all the top rings broken I'd suspect detonation or improper ring fitting on install. How did the pistons look? Were there pieces broken away above the rings?
I'm with those above. Put a cheap motor in it for the season if you can't afford a major new one and run it for the summer. :)

wsuwrhr
05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
With all the top rings broken I'd suspect detonation or improper ring fitting on install. How did the pistons look? Were there pieces broken away above the rings?
I'm with those above. Put a cheap motor in it for the season if you can't afford a major new one and run it for the summer. :)
I fourth this statement and I was going to add bout the detonation problem but Rexie beat me to it.
Too much compression for your fuel?
Either way throw in a junkyard motor while you fix yours.
Brian

67weimann
05-25-2007, 03:11 PM
No freezing, just cracked in the cylinder wall towards the top of the cylinder. As far as the rings, it may have been detonation from a bad distributor a while back. Anyways, I looked into getting a junkyard motor today. Tossing the idea around.:idea:

OverKill
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
67 sorry to hear about the bad luck. However since my truck was destroyed in my accident, if you ever want to ride with me all I ask is for a tow to the lake.

67weimann
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
67 sorry to hear about the bad luck. However since my truck was destroyed in my accident, if you ever want to ride with me all I ask is for a tow to the lake.
Might be able to work something out there...

centerhill condor
05-25-2007, 04:27 PM
yea, a match made at the cooler! You'll live to boat another day...I'm recommending the junk motor!

Some Kind Of Monster
05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
You both always have a ride with me.. Anytime!

Nubbs
05-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear your bad luck, same thing happened to me last season.
Same here.

OverKill
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Sounds good man I think there is a big Pleasent trip coming up at the end of June. Or maybe it's Apache

OverKill
05-25-2007, 09:01 PM
You both always have a ride with me.. Anytime!
Thanks Billy I might take you up on that some time. Ive always wanted to ride in a real Challenger LOL. So where has your girl been lately ( Pink Shocker)?? I havent seen her up on the boards for awhile. Lets get together soon my cast's come off next Tuesday and can finally get my feet wet. Just no walking until the first of August.
James

67weimann
05-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Pistons looked decent to me. No breaks or anything. They looked to my untrained eye to be "normal" (only carbon on the tops of them) I'll snap some photos of the damage this weekend and post them. The motor was in the boat when I got it last year so who knows if they were correctly installed...

killerbeez
05-26-2007, 03:37 AM
1 more vote for the $2200 motor in the spam section..