PDA

View Full Version : Limeaway and Vinegar did not work

waterluvr
05-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Well I tried Lime-away with no luck removing the scum line stain. Then I tried straight vinegar and still no luck.
Do you think Starbrite Hull Cleaner will be any more powerful than those two?
Thanks

BIGAMIST
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Rubbing compound.

BigDogIvan
05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
If It's just a scum line I used some liquid cleaner wax and a Mothers ball. Came right off.

Ziggy
05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
try a wax with a cleanser in it....sounds like it sat in the water a long time to make the stain that tough to remove.
Might even try some WD40 on it.

Jbb
05-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Cheapest way to sove your problem
Go to your local Auto Zone
Look for this can.....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31628&d=1180053650
This is a mild polishing compound that should easily remove your issue....
Wet and wring out a soft cloth....apply polishing compound.....apply in a circular motion till stain is gone.....wipe with dry cloth......re apply wax to the area.....
In the unlikely event your stain is tougher .....there is a similar can called rubbing compound.....buy it.....repeat above instructions!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31629&stc=1&d=1180054001

Not So Fast
05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Two words "SHOWER POWER" good stuff!!!!!!!! NSF

Schiada76
05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I tried most everything, when I realized the brown scum would not come off, I changed my name to Rodriquez and learned Spanish! :D
:D :D :D

Cheap Thrills
05-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I've had excellent results with X-14 , it's made by WD-40.
This stuff is HOT, definately don't let it linger on anything for too long.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/X-14.jpg
C.T. :wink:

waterluvr
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
The boat was in the water for 5 days.
I tried Maguiars cleaner wax with no luck.
I will try the polishing compound tomorrow. If this doesn't work I might have to buy a DCB......
I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks

RaceFace
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
CLR....thats what I've always used. It works great on stainless exhaust tips too!! Your hands tingle a bit after prolonged use....but hell...better than a scum line down the boat and dull exhaust tips!! ;)

BigDogIvan
05-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I will try the polishing compound tomorrow. If this doesn't work I might have to buy a DCB......
Thanks
I had a grub line from the lake and tryed everything untill I put a little grunt with the Mothers ball and the liquid cleaner wax. came right off. SOmetime elbo grease just aint enough. :D

waterluvr
05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
BigDogIvan, how does the Mothers PowerBall work? I have seen them before but never really looked into them. Do they atatch to my drill? Any chance of burning my gelcoat?
I may have to learn Spanish ......

riverracerXXX
05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Have you tried a belt sander?....

fundeck24
05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Soft scrub and a soft towel works good on white hulls. You will need to wax it afterwards.

sleekcraft80
05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
A friend of mine does a lot of gelcoat work and he recomends 3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Compound. I get it at a auto paint store. You won't burn thru the gel with this. It does not have grit in it.

Pussywhippled
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Go dip it in Elsinore for a day, that water will get rid of anything on your gel...

RitcheyRch
05-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Ditto that. Cheap and available and at most grocery stores or even Wally World. Spray some on a towel and wipe over the scum. Make sure wipe the area again with some clean water and wax.
Two words "SHOWER POWER" good stuff!!!!!!!! NSF

halfhers
05-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks
try Simple Green it works, but it takes the wax off also.

Pussywhippled
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
try Simple Green it works, but it takes the wax off also.
Huh, huh, guda huh, he said wax off...

repo man
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
pool acid:devil:

Tom Brown
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Urine

lucky
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Well I tried Lime-away with no luck removing the scum line stain. Then I tried straight vinegar and still no luck.
Thanks
i rubbed one out with a magic eraser - well i had to rub it a few times ! It was fun rubbing it - I had to apply pressure and get on my hands and knees - at times i had to use both hands ! in the end It was white again :D next time - I'm hiring profesional

76ANTHONY
05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Urine
lmao:D :D :D

Pussywhippled
05-24-2007, 07:16 PM
i rubbed one out with a magic eraser - well i had to rub it a few times ! It was fun rubbing it - I had to apply pressure and get on my hands and knees - at times i had to use both hands ! in the end It was white again :D next time - I'm hiring profesional
Huh, huh, guda huh, he said I rubbed one out...

INSman
05-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks
What body of water caused this bad scum line ??? :confused:

Racey
05-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Muriatic Acid!!!
you can find it at any pool supply, Dilute with a little water and put in a hudson sprayer, keep it away from any chrome or anodizing, it wont hurt stainless but will strip either of those, and i would also recommend wearing a respirator or being very very careful not to breath any or get any in your face. but it will do wonders stripping scuzz, also keep the hose handy and running the whole time.

kcvega
05-24-2007, 07:45 PM
The muriatic acid works super super easy. Spray on let sit, for a few seconds, then spray off with water. No rubbing should be necessary but do NOT get it on any plastic. It will turn black plastic gray or white.

Ziggy
05-24-2007, 08:06 PM
The muriatic acid works super super easy. Spray on let sit, for a few seconds, then spray off with water. No rubbing should be necessary but do NOT get it on any plastic. It will turn black plastic gray or white.
I used Muratic acid to kill the all the Ginsome weeds in my yard...bubble,bubble, fiz,fiz

Quality Time
05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Guys back east use a product called Slimy Grimey to remove hull stains

watergun4u
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
The best thing I have found, and it works great, its; SCRUBBING BUBBLES TUB AND TILE CLEANER, will take it right off!!!!!the stuff is amazing, trust me try it!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Outnumbered
05-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks
Trust me. I used to keep my boat in a slip all summer. Not many people here have done this for any extended period. It is stonger than the other stuff. Wear rubber/latex gloves. It won't hurt your boat. Wipe on, wipe off, easy. Don't use abasive compounds like some people said, they will dull your glass!.
Wal Mart and West Marine has it.
http://www.starbrite.com/Prodimages/81700-HullCleaner.jpg

Racey
05-25-2007, 06:36 AM
How bout hydrochloric acid, will this work? :confused:
It's the same thing, just another name for it

waterluvr
05-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Success!
I used the polishing compound as was suggested and it worked, I made sure to keep it damp as to not take off too much gelcoat.
If this had not worked I was planning on going to the muriatic acid.
Tomorrow I will wax the crap out of the boat! I will try and post a picture to show the shine.
Thanks for all of your advice.
Oh yeah, I live near Nashville and greatly miss Havasu.
Have a great holiday.:)
CJ

Outnumbered
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
...as to not take off too much gelcoat....
Why would you want to take off any gel coat? Don't be cheap, go buy the right stuff.:rolleyes: