PDA

View Full Version : Lakes in San Diego???

Cheetahtunnel
05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
So are there any lakes that one can take a 24 Cheetah out in San Diego? I know of Lake Elsinore, though the water is unusual.... :) Lake Perris, but the lake is like half empty of water now, but where else with these high gas prices that I can stay local:confused:

Miss Perfect
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
San Vicente http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/vicente.shtml

Boozer
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Lake Pacific! A 24 should be plenty for the big blue if you go out at the right times.

Mandelon
05-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I think vicente is closed now...not sure. They are raising the dam height. I think you can put in at El Capitan, but no water contact. And Lower Otay is available but has a 35 mph speed limit.
Mission Bay and San Diego bay are fun, just wash down well. Go to San Diego Bay. Launch out on Shelter Island by Humphries on the Bay, and head south down to the Coronado Cays. Dock up and have lunch at Loews resort. You can eat poolside, then head back out up to check out the abandoned boats over by Chula Vista and the Navy stuff and see the Midway too.
Not likely to be sunny this time of year, but its worth the trip.

78Eliminator
05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Mandy, I read your post and started laughing, imagining what SD is going to be like in 10 years:
Vincente is great, but you cant start your boat and cant oar the boat faster than 1 MPH.
El Cap is ok, but again no running engines allowed, there is a mandatory drug and alcohol screening to get in and out of the water and you must reduce your talking to a whisper for noise pollution.
Elsinore, you can start your boat and even run it up to 15 mph, but you must wear a water proof chemical suit and sign a state and federal release of liability form should you make water contact and subsequently go blind and/or have to have part of your lower intestines and sex organs removed.
Have a nice day and welcome to Southern California.

Lightning
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Mandy, I read your post and started laughing, imagining what SD is going to be like in 10 years:
Vincente is great, but you cant start your boat and cant oar the boat faster than 1 MPH.
El Cap is ok, but again no running engines allowed, there is a mandatory drug and alcohol screening to get in and out of the water and you must reduce your talking to a whisper for noise pollution.
Elsinore, you can start your boat and even run it up to 15 mph, but you must wear a water proof chemical suit and sign a state and federal release of liability form should you make water contact and subsequently go blind and/or have to have part of your lower intestines and sex organs removed.
Have a nice day and welcome to Southern California.
Wah, wah, wah..... http://www.milkandcookies.com/images/feature/d/debbiedowner.jpg

78hallett-ss
05-25-2007, 08:54 AM
san vincente? is it really closed? we went there lots last summer and are planning a trip next weekend?

CBadDad
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I think vicente is closed now...not sure. They are raising the dam height. I think you can put in at El Capitan, but no water contact. And Lower Otay is available but has a 35 mph speed limit.
Mission Bay and San Diego bay are fun, just wash down well. Go to San Diego Bay. Launch out on Shelter Island by Humphries on the Bay, and head south down to the Coronado Cays. Dock up and have lunch at Loews resort. You can eat poolside, then head back out up to check out the abandoned boats over by Chula Vista and the Navy stuff and see the Midway too.
El Capitan: El Capitan is now open on its summer schedule (May through October). Thursday the lake is open for fishing and boating only, NO water contact (waterskiing, wakeboarding, towing inflatables, jetskiing). Friday, Saturday and Sunday the lake is open for both fishing and water contact. Water contact is permitted in the North Arm on Sundays only. Also on Sundays only there is a limit of 80 boats total on the lake at one time.
All persons (age 8 and older) entering reservoir property are required to pay daily use fees.

CBadDad
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
san vincente? is it really closed? we went there lots last summer and are planning a trip next weekend?
San Vicente: San Vicente is now on its summer schedule, Thursday and Friday the lake is open for both fishing and water contact (waterskiing, wakeboarding, towing inflatables), Saturday and Sunday the lake is open for water contact only. Jetskiing is NOT permitted at San Vicente at any time. Hours of operation are sunrise to sunset.
Due to construction hazards, the shoreline from just right of the launch ramp all the way to the buoy line is now closed to all activities.
For construction schedules and information on the Emergency Storage Project, please check the San Diego County Water Authority's web site at www.sdcwa.org and click on San Vicente Dam Raise.

Legal Chemistry
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
here's the link to SD lakes. Use the "what's new" for the current 411.
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/index.shtml
The local lakes are limited to 35mph. San V fills up early -so expect a wait. With the launch ramp re-opened it may not be as bad this time of year. El Cap is nice... just a long rode to get to. I have yet to make it to Hodges -maybe someone can chime in. If you don't mind the salt go to Mission or San Diego bay. Enjoy... weather is nice out!

AirtimeLavey
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
This sounds like a good day. I might just have to try that. :D

Legal Chemistry
05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
there's another site for the salty's with maps and such... sdboating
Enjoy!
SD Bay
http://www.sdboating.com/baymap_small.jpg.jpe
and
Mission Bay
http://www.sdboating.com/images/mbmap.jpg

CBadDad
05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
here's the link to SD lakes. Use the "what's new" for the current 411.
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/index.shtml
The local lakes are limited to 35mph. San V fills up early -so expect a wait. With the launch ramp re-opened it may not be as bad this time of year. El Cap is nice... just a long rode to get to. I have yet to make it to Hodges -maybe someone can chime in. If you don't mind the salt go to Mission or San Diego bay. Enjoy... weather is nice out!
Hodges is cool, but real small with lots of underwater hazards/trees. Only a short stretch where you can open it up, I wouldn't even consider it for testing a boat. A nice quiet place to launch and have lunch.