PDA

View Full Version : eBay selling experiences

jh4rt
05-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I would like to know experiences of selling a large item (truck/boat/motorcycle,etc.) on eBay. I'm thinking of putting my truck on there, but honestly am a bit scared. Please tell us your experience with selling on eBay.
Thanks in advance.

ratso
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Just be honest with the description. Next time I go look at some piece of shit that is described as perfect and I waste an entire day doing it, I just might fukkin' lose it!!! http://***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

HM
05-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I have sold a car, a trailer and a dirt bike on eBay and had very good luck. What I did was not sell to someone who asked me to end my auction and sell it outside of ebay (actually, I did that with 2 boats, but only because I knew the buyers). I actually became friends with one buyers.
I also did not entertain e-mails asking me for my bottom line price. I told them it sells for what it sells - that is why I am doing an auction (I also had NO RESERVE and started with a ridiculously low price).
But, you need to disclose EVERYTHING on the vehicle that is bad, or might be thought to be bad by your mother-in-law who hates you.
I know people that have not had good experiences, but I didn't really know the circumstances. I liked it and will do it again.

HocusPocus
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
i havn't had any bad experience with ebay but i also havn't had any luck selling any boat or truck on there yet. craigslist is all use anymore and its free, over the past 3 years i have sold 4 boats and 5 vehicles on there.

ratso
05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
BTW... I have sold a few cars and boats on ebay and was VERY specific on the description. If they are getting what is described, then there will be no problem.

HM
05-25-2007, 12:22 PM
BTW... I have sold a few cars and boats on ebay and was VERY specific on the description. If they are getting what is described, then there will be no problem.
Did you specify which ex-wife drove it on sundays? :D

76ANTHONY
05-25-2007, 12:39 PM
sold a non-running vehicle on there. i took 15 pics and described everything. then when the bidding started i had about 20 messages i had to return from people asking questions. but i got more than i thought i would for it.:D

zudnic
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I've sold several vehicles on Ebay with good results.
1) 73' 914/4
2) 02 Excursion LTD
3) 92' VW Corrado G60
4) 84 944
5)85 944
6) two 87's 944 turbo's
8) 86 928S in the last week actuely
The last one was sold on Ebay about two months ago. The buyer bought several other cars on Ebay at the same time ($30K worth). Red flag was raised and found out guy ripped off someone with a bogus certified check, nixed the sale.... Be careful using any online selling tool either as buyer or seller........
Ebay has also been a little slower, think alot of rip off stories have put off alot of buyers. Two years ago would say the greatest place around, today, well its no better then other methods; going to try craigslist on my remaining 928's that I want to sell. Keeping my av. pic.......

jh4rt
05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. The truck has some flaws, of course. I would be clear and honest about it. But, I don't want to sell it unless I can get what I want for it. So the reserve is the trick to that, right?
I dunno. If I had any brains, I'd just keep the thing; stuff it in the garage on a trickle charger; start it once a month and sell my BODY to pay for it. (a nickel at a time).

HocusPocus
05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. The truck has some flaws, of course. I would be clear and honest about it. But, I don't want to sell it unless I can get what I want for it. So the reserve is the trick to that, right?
(IMO) i never like setting a reserve on anything i sold on ebay, i just start the bidding at the least i would take for it and list it as a "no reserve auction", after your first bid you got your asking price. also if you set a reserve you will get emails from people asking what your reserve is. i have seen some list the reserve price in the description but then whats the point of even using the reserve??

AZKC
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I have sold a car, a trailer and a dirt bike on eBay and had very good luck. What I did was not sell to someone who asked me to end my auction and sell it outside of ebay (actually, I did that with 2 boats, but only because I knew the buyers). I actually became friends with one buyers.
I also did not entertain e-mails asking me for my bottom line price. I told them it sells for what it sells - that is why I am doing an auction (I also had NO RESERVE and started with a ridiculously low price).
But, you need to disclose EVERYTHING on the vehicle that is bad, or might be thought to be bad by your mother-in-law who hates you.
I know people that have not had good experiences, but I didn't really know the circumstances. I liked it and will do it again.
Yep thats the way to do it, stay within the rules of EBay and you have some protection, start bending the rules and your setting yourself up to get burned.

ratso
05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Did you specify which ex-wife drove it on sundays? :D
If only I coulda sold them on ebay...http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif but I'd have had to been hitting all the bidders up with second chance offers!:jawdrop:

Aqua Boogie1
05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I've sold two boats on Ebay...........................Like Ratso said, just be honest with the description.