PDA

View Full Version : How are these?

Konabud
02-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm going to look at a 16' 63 Brendella flat to buy with the Idea of putting together a nostalgic play boat. It's a full stringer boat no motor, guess it came stock with a small block. Anybody know anything about these boats in general? I haven't seen the boat yet but the stringers, transom and running gear is all supposed to be good. I have a Kona daycruiser for a family boat, this would be my first v-drive. I'd kinda like to put a trans of some kind in any boat I pick up as I'm not looking for a race boat (hopefully maybe go 80) so I need to take that into consideration too. Any input would be great!
Thanks,
Creg

BrendellaJet
02-11-2006, 04:26 PM
you sure its a 63? I thought Irv Brendel started Brendella after Hondo in the early 70's. I could be wrong...

Konabud
02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
That's what I was told, I have no idea that's why I was asking. I was kinda thinking Mandella when they were telling me about it. Maybe like this only V-drive. I'll take pics when I go to look at it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3112Shame.JPG

haulina29
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I thought that too until my friend showed up with a 64 brendella with a small block and someone thru out the years added a glide its all wood . If I remeber correctly the metal plate says Merced California I will look next time I see it .

Nailhead
02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I've got a 1968 Schiada flatty with a 425 Buick nailhead in it that runs like a champ all day long. Just got a cruiser and have no room for 2. Very nostalgic, runs about 70, seats 5. I'll get rid of it for around 3 grand ready to go.

dragboat
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds like fun, can you post a picture?

Nailhead
02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I'll have more soon,http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphotos&userid=1028
I've got the original Edelbrock logs & OT's too

Konabud
02-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, I bought it. $900.00 less motor.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/311263Brendella.JPG

61vdrive
02-12-2006, 02:51 AM
thats sweet....that looks like the same hull style of my 61 sanger...hot big is it?

Konabud
02-12-2006, 08:45 AM
It's a 16 footer it had a BBC, I don't know what I'll put back in it. I like the way the v-drive is set up, the gearbox is behind the seat so there's nothing up front at all. The (full) stringers look really solid, I think it's a great start for a nice boat someday. I probably won't touch it till next winter so for now it will sit snug and comfy in the garage.

61vdrive
02-13-2006, 02:26 AM
thats how mine is set up too..its right behind the front seat underneath the gas tank...

Konabud
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
So your gas tank is hung below the support behind the seat? Mines gone, he just had some small tank stuck in the front left corner on the floor. There are two fills on mine and a selector switch so obviously there must have been two tanks somewhere. I thought there must have been saddle tanks but don't have any idea. Do you have any pics of yours?

mfrey
02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm going to look at a 16' 63 Brendella flat to buy with the Idea of putting together a nostalgic play boat. It's a full stringer boat no motor, guess it came stock with a small block. Anybody know anything about these boats in general? I haven't seen the boat yet but the stringers, transom and running gear is all supposed to be good. I have a Kona daycruiser for a family boat, this would be my first v-drive. I'd kinda like to put a trans of some kind in any boat I pick up as I'm not looking for a race boat (hopefully maybe go 80) so I need to take that into consideration too. Any input would be great!
Thanks,
Creg
Ok, you Mandella maniacks need to comment here: That has Mandella lines all over it...and I think Brummett made a 16 footer. Is that a Mandella?

Konabud
02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Just more info, the title says Brendella HIN CFZ8214E0063

racincraft440
02-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Looks like a sweet deal for the price.

Konabud
02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
you sure its a 63? I thought Irv Brendel started Brendella after Hondo in the early 70's. I could be wrong...
After looking pretty hard I found this (although my boat is fiberglass)
(Quote )
"I raced outboard versions of the Brendella boats for the factory team in that era. The boats weren't painted; they were fiberglass over phillipine mahogany, with painted trim. They were manufactured one at a time in Lawndale California, by a family named Fragoso. When built, they were shipped to the Sepulveda Boat Dock boat dealer in the San Fernando Valley. That dealer was owned by Irv and Peggy Ann Brendel, who named the boats Brendella, and later founded Hondo Boats."
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43289&highlight=Brendel

61vdrive
02-15-2006, 09:18 AM
These are probably the best pics i have right now....but you can see the gas tank on the second pic i think it is....
thanks
chris

Rattle Can Lou
02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
61, that's a coool old ride. It looks cold in the pictures. I thoght I'd tell ya that I am a graduate of Cupertino High in 1971. RCL

Rattle Can Lou
02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
61, that's a coool old ride. It looks cold in the pictures. I thoght I'd tell ya that I am a graduate of Cupertino High in 1971. GOOOO Pioneers RCL

sweet-v
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
61, that's a coool old ride. It looks cold in the pictures. I thoght I'd tell ya that I am a graduate of Cupertino High in 1971. GOOOO Pioneers RCL
Cool , my wife went to Cupertino then graduated from Blaney(82). Me grad at Monta Vista (76), The city of Cupertino has change big time, my mom still
living there.

Rattle Can Lou
02-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I took my wife to the school about 5 years ago. We went on campus during school hours. Then it let out for lunch while we were walking around. I could not believe that there were no white caucasians in atendance. It was all asian. I did not realize that it had changed that much. It was like being in a foreign country. I left there in 76 and moved to Idaho. It really has changed.

Konabud
02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
These are probably the best pics i have right now....but you can see the gas tank on the second pic i think it is....
thanks
chris
Damn They could be twins!!

old rigger
02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
that is one bitchin' boat!
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11317

AzMandella
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Ok, you Mandella maniacks need to comment here: That has Mandella lines all over it...and I think Brummett made a 16 footer. Is that a Mandella?
Thats not a Mnadella.They did make a 16' and it does look like that boat but does not have flared sides.and the rails are lower than the deck not higher and the nose looks too pointy compared to Mandella's which are more rounded.

old rigger
02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Thats not a Mnadella.They did make a 16' and it does look like that boat but does not have flared sides.and the rails are lower than the deck not higher and the nose looks too pointy compared to Mandella's which are more rounded.
Yeah, but long before mandella had the flaired sides, before Brummett was building them, when Mandella was still building them, they did look similar. Here's an old photo and a comment from a 1961 Powerboat mag. Even then the two were being compared.
And even before that, in the 50's, Mandella and Glen Witt of Glen L boat designs had a huge legal deal going on over who copied who on their designs. I think Mandella won that one, if I remember what Glen Witt told me about it last year correctly, Witt had to prove his designs were original in court.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/brendella.jpg