PDA

View Full Version : Builder Leasebacks

Waist Deep
05-25-2007, 04:29 PM
We bought our home in BHC and the builder has been leasing it back from us for 2 years now. Last month, the allowance went down 250 per month for the next 6 month term.
I get a call today stating that they have ripped all the cabinets from the garage and are now using the garage in our model for their showroom.
In lieu of cabinets , they are installing AC in the garage. WTF? I need cabinets, not AC when I take the house over. Plus, they got us down 250 per month and are now using our model for the showroom.
Would it not make sense for them to call and ask first before doing it?
It sure doesnt sound right 2 me.

uvindex
05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
We bought our home in BHC and the builder has been leasing it back from us for 2 years now. Last month, the allowance went down 250 per month for the next 6 month term.
I get a call today stating that they have ripped all the cabinets from the garage and are now using the garage in our model for their showroom.
In lieu of cabinets , they are installing AC in the garage. WTF? I need cabinets, not AC when I take the house over. Plus, they got us down 250 per month and are now using our model for the showroom.
It sure doesnt sound right 2 me.That sucks. Did you check the contract/agreement? Seems it should have some language about what they're allowed and not allowed to do. It IS your house after all. A typical lease agreement obviously doesn't let the tenant do stuff like that. Maybe builder-provided leaseback agreements do, but I'd check if I were you. Good luck. :)

Waist Deep
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Nothing states the builder is allowed to do anything to the house. When we bought it, it was stated in writing that we get the house the way it is.

Pheelin Phroggy
05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I would let him know how much you appreciate the garage A.C. in BHC and how nice it will compliment the new cabinets he will be putting in upon the lease back expiration.

GHT
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
It sure doesnt sound right 2 me.
Sounds to me like they have NOW changed the terms of the contract..... I don't mean this is necessarily a bad thing.. I guess what I'm saying is.. Since they have changed the terms maybe you should TRY to change the terms (by maybe getting your $250 per month back). Maybe you can have them Deduct a Fair amount off the house because I would think they would have the Same rights as a renter and they didn't get the Landlord's approval...
My .02 but I don't know your contractural obligations...
Hope it works out in YOUR favor..:D

Ziggy
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Yup, it all depends on the language put into the lease agreement, and if there was a recent change you better go look at whatever you just signed in case they slipped something past you.
A normal lease would only allow a modification of the property with written request to and approval from the landlord(you)...many will even add a clause to have them remove and restore such modifications at landlord discretion.