PDA

View Full Version : Oil for 454 MPI?

Outnumbered
05-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Changing the oil this weekend. Got 109 hours on the 2000 454 MPI. What oil should I use? Will likely run full synth.
Thanks

GRUNION
05-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Vr1 20- 50 Valvoline

Beer-30
05-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Vr1 20- 50 Valvoline
That is good stuff, but I run full syn. Mobil-1 10-30 from Costco. If 0w Mobil-1 is good enough for NASCAR qualifying, 10w-30 should be more than enough for a stock 496 pickup motor.

IT'SONLYMONEY
05-26-2007, 01:01 PM
That is good stuff, but I run full syn. Mobil-1 10-30 from Costco. If 0w Mobil-1 is good enough for NASCAR qualifying, 10w-30 should be more than enough for a stock 496 pickup motor.
dare to fight the crowds tomorrow at b.v. or are you working

GRUNION
05-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Dont want to get into a debate, but synthetic oil breaks down faster under high heat. And as for nascar If I tore down my motor after every use I would also use the lightest viscosity oil I could get away with. Lighter oil means more power. Not the greatest idea for longevity though.:)

Dribble
05-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Dont want to get into a debate, but synthetic oil breaks down faster under high heat. And as for nascar If I tore down my motor after every use I would also use the lightest viscosity oil I could get away with. Lighter oil means more power. Not the greatest idea for longevity though.:)
Beat me to that one.

soupersonic
05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I use Valvoline Racing SAE 40

BadKachina
05-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Mobil 1 v-twin 20/50, that's all I use. Doesn't get any better. It has more anti wear additives a zddp than any other oil on the market. Zddp is about the best anti wear additive you can use, it's also expensive and hard on cat. convertors, that's why you won't see it in oils formulated for cars. BTW, it's about 9 bucks a quart.;)
Here's 60+ pages of reading on oils and why one type is better than others. What it comes down to is that additives are real, everyone will tell you what kind of oil they recommend and how great it is, but you can't fake the chemical make-up of them. The one with the right anti wear additives, the highest shear numbers is better at protecting your motor. Mobil 1, and Amsoil v-twin 20/50 are on top, with Mobil v-twin having the most zddp.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107808&highlight=mobil

Beer-30
05-26-2007, 03:58 PM
dare to fight the crowds tomorrow at b.v. or are you working
Yup, headed out tomorrow in the AM. Prolly off the lake by 1 or 1:30.

Outnumbered
05-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Mobil 1 v-twin 20/50, that's all I use. Doesn't get any better. It has more anti wear additives a zddp than any other oil on the market. Zddp is about the best anti wear additive you can use, it's also expensive and hard on cat. convertors, that's why you won't see it in oils formulated for cars. BTW, it's about 9 bucks a quart.;)
Here's 60+ pages of reading on oils and why one type is better than others. What it comes down to is that additives are real, everyone will tell you what kind of oil they recommend and how great it is, but you can't fake the chemical make-up of them. The one with the right anti wear additives, the highest shear numbers is better at protecting your motor. Mobil 1, and Amsoil v-twin 20/50 are on top, with Mobil v-twin having the most zddp.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107808&highlight=mobil
You guys did the last oil change. Is that what you used?
Also, that exhaust manifold waterleak is getting worse so I'm going to attempt to put those new Merc plastic pet-cocks in. If I have any trouble I'll be hauling it down to your place.:D How busy are you guys?

Beer-30
05-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Even if that is true about breaking down, I don't run high temps. So, syn should be better anyway.
True about thinner oil, but I don't run the zero stuff. If this 496 was in a pickup, it would have the sticker on the oil fill saying "5w-30". So, I figure the 10 is still a little thicker in the cooler times and should be plenty of oil. I am sure it is plenty thick enough to fit in a gap of .0025 or .003

Fast Lane
05-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my 454MPI's. Last year i put on 60 hours, i sent some oil to Blackstone labs for an oil analysis. The results from Blackstone came back with the oil still in great shape and probable was able to run another 30-40 hours on the oil.
Check out www.Blackstone-labs.com

Outnumbered
05-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replys!

Bite the Bullet
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
According to a Bob Teague column in POWERBOAT Magazine, if your motor is equipped with roller lifters, DO NOT use synthetic motor oil! Apparently, the synthetic causes the lifters to slide and not roll. The Merc cruiser manual for my HP500 specifically says not to use synthetic. Just food for argument!

Outnumbered
05-26-2007, 09:33 PM
According to a Bob Teague column in POWERBOAT Magazine, if your motor is equipped with roller lifters, DO NOT use synthetic motor oil! Apparently, the synthetic causes the lifters to slide and not roll. The Merc cruiser manual for my HP500 specifically says not to use synthetic. Just food for argument!
It is funny you should say that. I was surfing google and found the same exact reasoning from another engine builder. I don't believe my lowly motor has roller rockers. It is just a stocker.

acatitude
05-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I use synthetic in drive and steering, but v-20/50 in motor. also have heard the no synthetic in motor story and it gets changed every 25 hours anyways so I dont think the extra expense is worth it

Beer-30
05-27-2007, 02:22 AM
It is funny you should say that. I was surfing google and found the same exact reasoning from another engine builder. I don't believe my lowly motor has roller rockers. It is just a stocker.
No, it probably doesn't have roller ROCKERS (unless someone put them on when you weren't looking) but it does have roller LIFTERS.
Here's your standard 310HP (installed HP) MPI 7.4:
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/620-8238.JPG
Brand Name: General Motors
New GM Marine 454 - 305 Horsepower Long Block Engine
305 HP @ 4400 RPM / 435 lb. ft. @ 3200 RPM (PFI)
1987-2001
1-piece seal
4-bolt main
Oval port
Roller cam
8 qt. oil pan
Must use electric fuel pump, No - intake, flywheel, or water pump.
List Price: $6,175.00
There is no proof that synthetic has ever truthfully hurt a roller cam - that I am aware of. There has been speculation about roller lifters not rolling due to the oil being too slippery. I have to sincerely doubt this theory, as most new performance motors come from the showroom with syn inside. ZO6, Camaro SS/Firebird Firehawk, Callaway, SLP.
Additionally, I have even seen alot of performance engine builders dumping Royal Purple into brand new motors on the dyno. It would seem that several have tested / are testing the theory of syn not being good for break-in. So far I have not read, seen, or heard of any problems.
Basically, pick any of the oils mentioned here and your 310HP 454 will be perfectly happy. I have basically the same rollers and spring pressures as you (stock 496) and have been running Mobil-1 10-30 for over 100hrs now. No problems, just a smooth running motor. It also gives me piece of mind on those long lake cruises.
Also, I have been running the same oil in my 1998 C3500 with the roller-cammed Vortec 7400 454. Basically, it is the same motor you have. It is rated at 290HP in the pickups. It has been on the Mobil-1 diet since early 1999; some 75,000 miles ago. Not one oil-related problem.

waterluvr
05-27-2007, 04:34 AM
I use 40 wt Valvoline Racing. It is what the mfg recomended (PCM).
They like it because it does not break down as easily as some others.
They feel that a boat engine actually runs hotter than a car engine because you have no cool air blowing over and around the engine as you do in a car. Also, a boat engine is always under load as they do not coast.
I have over 13 years and 500 hours on this engine with no problems.
Just my two cents worth.
Have a great weekend!

Rvr Swpr
05-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Called Teague a few years ago about oil. They say Kendall 40 Racing oil. I find it at bulk oil supply places that sell race fuel etc.

BadKachina
05-27-2007, 06:49 AM
You guys did the last oil change. Is that what you used?
Also, that exhaust manifold waterleak is getting worse so I'm going to attempt to put those new Merc plastic pet-cocks in. If I have any trouble I'll be hauling it down to your place.:D How busy are you guys?
No, just Mercury 25/40w oil. I'd have to double my price if every one got Mobil 1.;) I don't push it on people, if they ask for recommendations or they want a sythetic I'll recommend it. I've also got an account with Amsoil for customers who request it.
We're busy but I can always squeeze a repeat customer in. :)

Bite the Bullet
05-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I should clarify - Teague's comments were directed to marine applications only and he does have experience with lifter problems when a synthetic is used. As I recall, he stated there are no issues with automotive use of synthetic oil.

dunaholic
05-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I was told by my engine builder to use Delo 400 in Chevy marine applications. I used 40wt Delo in my last 454. He said a bulletin was sent to builders from the manufacturer stating that this was the best oil to use if I remember correctly.

Outnumbered
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks again for all the replys.

Beer-30
05-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I should clarify - Teague's comments were directed to marine applications only and he does have experience with lifter problems when a synthetic is used. As I recall, he stated there are no issues with automotive use of synthetic oil.
Last I checked, there was no difference between the material used for a boat cam and an auto cam. Nor was there a different part number for boat lifters vs. auto lifters.
That doesn't jive.

BDMar
05-27-2007, 03:19 PM
We stopped using synthetics 5 years ago because of lobe striping (stripe-ing). It happens more in HP cams with more aggresssive ramps, higher spring pressures, & sustained higher rpm useage. I called Comp and Crane back then and told them what I thought was the problem and they both were aware of that happening and recommended not to use synthetics in high perf roller applications.

27 Awesome cat
05-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Just use the am/pm shit

wan hung lo
05-29-2007, 05:22 AM
I use Amsoil 20-50. I've got 600 hours on both motors. Still run great with 70psi wfo and 40psi @ idle. Bravo drives have never been apart either using thier marine gear oil.