PDA

View Full Version : ? on door trim (discoloring)

77charger
05-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Is there a way to remove that so called fancy molding on the doors on the trucks(04 2500hd) My truck is white and the damn trim turns yellowish brown soon after i clean it and gettin tired of it.
Been doing it for at least 2 years

ULTRA26 # 1
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Is there a way to remove that so called fancy molding on the doors on the trucks(04 2500hd) My truck is white and the damn trim turns yellowish brown soon after i clean it and gettin tired of it.
If you're talking about the side protective moldings, the answer is yes. This is done easily with a heat gun and some fishing line. Heat the molding GENTLY under the glue that holds it gets soft. Then take the fishing line and slide it between the molding and the body. Pull the line back and forth, and repeat. Any glue that remains can be removed with a product like Goof Off. Just be careful not to get anything too hot.
John M

PHOTOGLOU
05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
From What I understand GM has seen a problem with what you are explaining. They have sent us a special type of cleaner for these moldings as they are plastic.. If you want to keep you side moldings swing by the dealership and I will bill GM or pick up the bill here to get that clean to the best of my ability with NO Charge to you... OR heat is the best way to remove those moldings.... Jay 714 552 0300

77charger
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks jay most likely going to remove them but will stop by this week to try a cleaning.Its on my way home so later afternoon stop

77charger
05-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks jay most likely going to remove them but will stop by this week to try a cleaning.Its on my way home so later afternoon stop

PHOTOGLOU
05-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Cool

4day!!
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
HHHMMM, interesting. I bought my 2500HD (05) from jay just two years ago. I have noticed the same thing about a year and a half ago, and it's getting worse. Will they replace the moldings? I am curious how it looks with them off.
Jay, will the guys at Selman be in the know about this problem?

GETSOME
06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Truck will look alot cleaner when they are off. I did not think so until i did it. I would do it with a hair dryer rather then a heat gun. The heat gun can get too hot for the paint. Once you get one small peice to lift just grab a hold of it and pull and the whole molding will come off in one peice. I was lucky enough to not have any glue left over on mine. But if you do just takes some simple elbow grease to remove it.

THE WIDGE
06-05-2007, 06:22 PM
My 04 is doing the same thing. Does anyone have pics of what it would look like with the side moldings removed. Does anyone have before and after pics from this cleaning stuff.

PHOTOGLOU
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
HHHMMM, interesting. I bought my 2500HD (05) from jay just two years ago. I have noticed the same thing about a year and a half ago, and it's getting worse. Will they replace the moldings? I am curious how it looks with them off.
Jay, will the guys at Selman be in the know about this problem?
NO GM WILL NOT replace the moldings.... This cleaning STUFF they have sent us WILL clean this discoloration....

77charger
06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Jay have been busy but will try to get there soon what time are you there til?I am only 10 min away.

dumbandyoung
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
in 04...I had a 02 Silverado.. Took off the ugly black molding and had no discoloration. I used a blow dryer and peeled off with my fingers. Then I picked up this adhesive remover from a VW dealer that is safe on paint... One wipe and all that black adhesive sh%t came off. It looked way better.. then not even a week after I had it I hydroplaned and smashed it into a freeway wall on the 57.:jawdrop:
Thank God for GAP insurance:D :D
$500 and a week later; I had a new truck;)

Schiada Time
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Snap-On also makes a cool wheel to strip the glue called a Crud Thug. I took my moldings off my older 2500 by simply heating them and pulling and then went back with the Crud Thug wheel and removed all the adhesive. Then I hit it with polishing compound.