PDA

View Full Version : Another write up on the Plum in Topoc

mmered8299
05-27-2007, 07:29 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2007/may/27/566627373.html

DEMOMAN
05-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Pretty scary stuff right there. Even in the 1960's they had to have known this wastewater was going somewhere. Duh there is a fricken river 600' away from where they dumped this crap. Sure hope they can get this handled.

LHC30Victory
05-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the article. I had wondered where this problem was at in terms of progress...Time will tell...

Not So Fast
05-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the post!! I have been on the bandwagon about whats being done to control this since 2003, I have been in contact with Kristie Kilgore who is the main person at ADEQ incharge of this catatrophy. All along I have said TOO LITTLE IS BEING DONE in regards to the size of the plume and the consequenses (sp?) if this were to ever actually leak into the Colorado River (which at this point I believe may already be happening) but it gets tiresome being "chicken little" and the guffaws you recieve when it is brought up is quite disturbing. I have posted all of the contacts on here that I had ranging from ADEQ, EPA,CDTSC. and even the haloed PG&E (after all, they knew about the effects after the Hinkley suit but never came forward, same shit, different location!!!). But as usual when dealing with any goverment agencies they wear you down with their appathy, sad but true :(
I only hope that someone treats this with the urgency it deserves and the sooner the better for ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!! NSF

mmered8299
05-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I've been taking my family down to Park Moabi for years. I'm wondering if that is still a good idea now?:confused:

SHOTKALLIN
05-27-2007, 09:09 AM
All the unusable desert out here and they dump it down the street from the river. WTF?

ULTRA26 # 1
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the post!! I have been on the bandwagon about whats being done to control this since 2003, I have been in contact with Kristie Kilgore who is the main person at ADEQ incharge of this catatrophy. All along I have said TOO LITTLE IS BEING DONE in regards to the size of the plume and the consequenses (sp?) if this were to ever actually leak into the Colorado River (which at this point I believe may already be happening) but it gets tiresome being "chicken little" and the guffaws you recieve when it is brought up is quite disturbing. I have posted all of the contacts on here that I had ranging from ADEQ, EPA,CDTSC. and even the haloed PG&E (after all, they knew about the effects after the Hinkley suit but never came forward, same shit, different location!!!). But as usual when dealing with any goverment agencies they wear you down with their appathy, sad but true :(
I only hope that someone treats this with the urgency it deserves and the sooner the better for ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!! NSF
Well said Bobby. It never ceases to amaze me how one of the most intelligent Countries in the world can make such obvious and damaging mistakes.
Is there anything that we can do to help keep the focus on getting this fixed?
John M

Not So Fast
05-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Well said Bobby. It never ceases to amaze me how one of the most intelligent Countries in the world can make such obvious and damaging mistakes.
Is there anything that we can do to help keep the focus on getting this fixed?
John M
Thanks John, the reason I posted all of the contacts when I did was so people would start "SQUACKING" about this. At the time they were taking away about 3 tanker trucks a day, very small operation at that point. I even drove up there to personally see what was being done. This was thought to be a plume in the MILLIONS OF GALLONS !!!!!!!After being in a 3 way phone conversation with Kristie, a rep from PG&E and a person from EPA (4 way I guess) I thought this horrible situation would be brought to the forefront and it would be treated as the VERY REAL THREAT it is with a sense of "URGENCY" because this is the very water that many, many people depend on. Well, its been what, at least three years now and they still have not solved the problem and last word I recieved from Kristie was that ADEQ had wells put down on the Arizona side and it (CR6) was present there also. The effort seems to be stepped up considerably but is it "TOO LITTLE,TOO LATE ????? I guess we'll find out wont we. I grew tired of being ridiculed by some of the folks on this very board about saying the "SKY WAS FALLING" so I bowed out but IMHO this needs to come back to the forefront of every conversation about the Colorado River. If they are indeed making accptable progress then good but as you know getting a straight answer is sometimes a very ellusive thing, after all, ITS BEEN THREE YEARS SINCE I FIRST CALLED WITH MY CONCERNS and it still is not resolved. Maybe it just takes this long, I dont know but it seems as though the effort is lacking to me!!:( Bobby

Not So Fast
05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
If everybody wants the contacts again I would be proud to post them, only if people are actually going to go to the trouble of E-mailing these individuals though and not just look at them and click to another thread. Your guys call ?????? NSF

franky
05-27-2007, 12:52 PM
PG&E has been ready to go balls out on this pump and treat thing for over a year. Instead they have had to truck out the effluent from the treatment system. They need to get the green light to re-inject the effluent (treated water) instead of hauling it off. When they re-inject the treated water ahead of the plume, it causes hydrostatic pressure in the aquifer in front of the plume, slowing down the movement. Pump more, treat more, pull the plume back.
It has been my experience (did this for 25 years) that the biggest hinderence is agency review and approval of the remediation methodology. These guys (PG&E engineers) know how to fix the problem and want to. The damage is done and was done by them years ago. They know they f***ed up. Today they are trying to fix the problem. Let them.
It is my understanding that it is now the Indian Nation that is keeping them from re-injecting the water on to (under) their "sacred land".

ULTRA26 # 1
05-27-2007, 03:02 PM
If everybody wants the contacts again I would be proud to post them, only if people are actually going to go to the trouble of E-mailing these individuals though and not just look at them and click to another thread. Your guys call ?????? NSF
Bobby,
Today was the first I have heard about this issue. Seems pretty serious to me. I would like to know more about this. It's not hard to imagine some of the peeps on HB giving you a hard time with their "sky is falling" BS This is obviously a real concern
John M

Coach
05-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I've been taking my family down to Park Moabi for years. I'm wondering if that is still a good idea now?:confused:
Just stay North! The plume is south of Moabi and unless it contact the river, which it may have, Topock south is screwed not Moabi

whiteworks
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I went out there about a year ago and looked around to see what was happening. There were about 8 guys standing around. I saw no state of urgency, no excessive man power, tooling or equipment. I will tell you this much it has a very eerie feeling out there, I felt like I was in crosshairs the whole time. I'm not sure exactly the status of the land that I was on but I pretty sure the general public is not welcome. there is a serious issue going on there and not a lot of publicity on it. it was brought to my attention through this board.

Not So Fast
05-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Here are the contacts i have although they may be outdated, as I said they wore me down with so where to as and here to fores ETC.
Kristie Kilgore (kilgore.kristie@adeq.gov)
Project manager- Norman Shopay 510-540-3943 (nshopay@dtsc.ca.gov)
Public relations for the project- Mona Orteaga 714-484-5416
(marteaga@dtsc.ca.gov) Dept of Toxic Substance Control
I hope these are still valid, good luck :( NSF