PDA

View Full Version : Caliber 1 Boats

waterluvr
05-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Anybody know anything about these new boats? Their web site leaves a lot to be desired.
I remember in the early 90's they were made in Simi or Chatsworth and were pretty nice boats.
The new company is in Corona.
I always like their 24 footer.
Thanks

Havasu1986
05-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Cliff Lotz started the company in the the early 90's in Anaheim. I knew him back in the early 80's when he owned a upholstery shop. He got into some tax problems and some how the guys at Shockwave got a hold of his molds and started building their boats. He then sold the company and they are in Corona now. I think Cliff still works for them now. :confused: When I meet my wife she had a 21 Magnum.

Daytona100
05-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Two of my buddies have Caliber-1 boats. Very well built boats after ten plus years no stress cracks gell still holding up and ride real nice.

Havasu Sun
05-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I was looking at craigs list in orange county for boats, came across a guy selling his calibur hull that he had been waiting for for years. selling hull only for 16K when they finish it. Looks like the courts had to get involved because they didnt deliver on time, 4 yrs late??? There is probably alot more to the story.

Mrs.Racer277
05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Anybody know anything about these new boats? Their web site leaves a lot to be desired.
I remember in the early 90's they were made in Simi or Chatsworth and were pretty nice boats.
The new company is in Corona.
I always like their 24 footer.
Thanks
They are not really New??? We bought ours used from Caliber, the owner was having another made by them. We have been more then happy with it.

boatsnblondes
05-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I've known Cliff for years, remember him from when I was a kid and he was at Eliminator over in Anahiem off the 91. Then remember him from the shop over off La Palma was it?? I must say, that even though I was sorta impressed by C1, I NEVER really liked Cliff, this is just my take, I'm sure there are guys one here who love him, but I never jived with him, thus, I never saw myself getting a boat from him. I'll say this, I thought in the early days over in Anahiem, he made a good boat, I liked it, but after he left, I lost touch with him, and never looked in on his stuff again....

RaceFace
05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Wasn't Caliber 1 and offshoot of Ultimate? I dealt with Carter Reed at Ultimate in '96 when I was in the market (ended getting an Ultra). His attitude and smack talking in front of me, I swore I would never buy anything he had to sell ...and I told him so. The salesman didnt know what to do....he was so embarassed. I think he ended up working for either Essex or Carrera years later.

TopGun4608
05-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Cliff left Caliber a few months back. I dont know what he is doing now... to my knowledge...a new company was in the works but I know after he sold caliber he was managing it for the new guy who came in and bought it... I met the guy who bought it once or twice and he knew Jack shit about boats so I dont know if they are still going to be built like cliff wanted them to be.

bigq
05-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Wasn't Caliber 1 and offshoot of Ultimate? I dealt with Carter Reed at Ultimate in '96 when I was in the market (ended getting an Ultra). His attitude and smack talking in front of me, I swore I would never buy anything he had to sell ...and I told him so. The salesman didnt know what to do....he was so embarassed. I think he ended up working for either Essex or Carrera years later.
No it wasn't. Danny at Shockwave and Cliff were Caliber 1 back in the day.

Desert Rat
05-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Mine is going on 15 years old and still holding up very well. No stress cracks in the gel but it does have a few flaws in the gel. Overall a nice boat. BUT alot can and will change in 15 years. I would not buy from the new owner from that things I've heard, most likely would be looking at an Ultra if I was in the market. Just my .02

Dribble
05-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I stopped by and talked to the new owner a few months back. He showed me the drawings of the new deck boat. I'm not sure which way he is trying to take to company right now.
That law suit dragged on for over three years. The guy originally dealt with Cliff (while he was in the middle of selling the company). I don't know if he was screwed by him, the new owner or both. A guy named Scott Lucero was also involved.
I really like my Caliber and I like the looks of their models, but I if I was to buy a new boat, I wouldn't buy from them until they gain a reputation for business ethics that is as good as Shockwave, Ultra etc.

SHOTKALLIN
05-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I stopped by and talked to the new owner a few months back. He showed me the drawings of the new deck boat. I'm not sure which way he is trying to take to company right now.
That law suit dragged on for over three years. The guy originally dealt with Cliff (while he was in the middle of selling the company). I don't know if he was screwed by him, the new owner or both. A guy named Scott Lucero was also involved.
I really like my Caliber and I like the looks of their models, but I if I was to buy a new boat, I wouldn't buy from them until they gain a reputation for business ethics that is as good as Shockwave, Ultra etc.
is the Pakistani lookin guy still the owner?

Hotcobra270
05-28-2007, 11:59 AM
My girl and I stopped by their shop in corona. The sales person didnt even give us the time of day. We told him we wanted a 25 plus footer, and he kept pushing us into a 23 footer that they had..
I didnt really feel like they wanted my business rather that I was buggin them..

socal87
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
is the Pakistani lookin guy still the owner?
Yes he is still the owner. His name is Al Hussein. Believe it or not. Cliff doesn't work for Caliber 1 anymore. I think he opened or took over an existing Marine shop. He helped us tremendously when we were looking into a boat. We ended up buying a 23 foot Velocity from them and ran into a little problem with the owner prior to taking delivery. A written demand letter from a lawyer and everything was good to go. Overall, we are very happy with the boat.

Benjhamina
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I was looking at craigs list in orange county for boats, came across a guy selling his calibur hull that he had been waiting for for years. selling hull only for 16K when they finish it. Looks like the courts had to get involved because they didnt deliver on time, 4 yrs late??? There is probably alot more to the story.
From what I heard that guy traded in his old caliber which they sold for $37K and he put 10K down on a new one, then the new owner didn't want to honor the contract. I don't know who got the 47K but all the poor customer got out of it was a bare hull and alot of heartache. I stopped buy their shop a couple years ago when I was in the market and just walking through there I knew I wasn't going to get one. IMO they way a shop is kept up speaks volumes about how the work is done in the shop. Having said that, all their boats I have seen on the water are real nice.