PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires.....Yes again

Nostalgic Spectra
05-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I know this subject has been beat to death and I did look at past post's. But, I wanted to see if any new info has came up. Was checking all the goodies on the trailer and noticed that I got some side wall damage on the inside of two of the four tires. So I figure i better take care of it now rather than risk a blow out. I am currently running some BFG TA's P225/70R14 radials on 14x7 American Racing rims. Some people have told me I should be running "trailer" tires and not regular car radials. Whats your take on that? I always thought my current tires looked too "fat" on the rim. Is that the right size that I should run?
Most importantly what's your recomendation on what tires to get?
Thanks in advance.

VDRIVERACING
05-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I have Good Year Marathons. Have heard some folks bag on these in earlier posts, but they have done the job and I tow freeways, through the hot dessert, etc...
The main thing is trailer tires are stiffer sidewalls so the boat tracks straighter. They probably would not corner well or ride nice if mounted on a car, but on a trailers you want the tires primarily to bear load and withstand side loading forces.
Some people swear by "Green Ball" tires. I've never owned them, but here's the link: http://www.greenball.com/tires/towmasterv.htm
Check out this thread...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143589&highlight=trailer+tires

Trailer Park Casanova
05-28-2007, 05:31 AM
You can get Greenball towmaster E load rating at Americas with a good warranty at a good price.
Greenball has an even better line now called the tow???? I ferget.
Change your trailer tires ever 2 years says the Extreme owners manual,, and we've found that's about right.
Check tire pressure before every trip. They will heat up and pop if under inflated. If you don't constantly keep the pressure correct you're waisting your time and money.
Nothing like sitting on frying pan hot Rice RD asphalt changing out two grenaded tires, that the steel belts have also turned your fender into shrapnel and tickled your gel coat.

Beer-30
05-28-2007, 09:56 AM
You can get Greenball towmaster E load rating at Americas with a good warranty at a good price.
Greenball has an even better line now called the tow???? I ferget.
By the pic in your avatar, I wouldn't go with 10-plys (LR-E), as they would jolt your boat more than necessary.
I would stick with an 8-ply (LR-D) at the most. 6-ply (LR-C) would be fine in a tandem setup. This is assuming you end up with trailer tires that are rated that way.
Pass tires really aren't that big of problem to have on a trailer. They will probably not last quite as long, but may have the look you want. Especially if you want the low-profile look. They don't have the sidewall structure that trailer service tires do. We all know why the sidewalls would need the extra stoutness, now don't we. Twisting on duals and triples, curbs, chunky launch ramp edges.
Inflation is one of the keys. If in doubt, go more pressure than less. I usually set all my tires a few (up to five) pounds less than the max pressure listed on the side of the tires. This gives room to "grow" as the tires heat up on the asphalt. Even if they are too high, the most that will happen is uneven wear through the middle as it pokes out. If too low, they will build up more heat than they want and "de-vulcanize". Tires are nominally cured (vulcanized) at 220 degrees. A low tire that is "scrubbing" along asphalt that is rough and 140-150 degrees (or sometimes more) will un-glue a tire pretty easily.