PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a lake.....

SweetPea
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM
My V-drive WILL be done this August and we are taking a family trip out. We are wanting to go no farther then Central California and the "river" is not an option this time. I need help or any advice on California lakes that won't sink my v-drive. Needs to be kid friendly and RV friendly. I've checked out Bass Lake and really didn't see much for RV camping. Lake San Antonio seems to be the next one to check out. Any HELP would be awesome. Thanks Guys!!

Pheelin Phroggy
05-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Lake San Antonio is pretty nice as far as RV and family friendly... not to big, so should be fine for your V-Drive. The family should definately enjoy it there.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
My V-drive WILL be done this August and we are taking a family trip out. We are wanting to go no farther then Central California and the "river" is not an option this time. I need help or any advice on California lakes that won't sink my v-drive. Needs to be kid friendly and RV friendly. I've checked out Bass Lake and really didn't see much for RV camping. Lake San Antonio seems to be the next one to check out. Any HELP would be awesome. Thanks Guys!!
Sounds like you sunk a boat, what happened?

SweetPea
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
LOL.... NO i didn't sink my boat. My dad is 'V-drive' and we are restoring it. We are coming along quite well and I'm hoping the new birthdate will be in July 07. I often think about the possiblities of sinking the boat once we're all done and I'm out there all by my lonesome self, but that's just my mind thinkin the worse.

v-drive
05-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Sounds like you sunk a boat, what happened?
That would be me that almost sank it. I was on canyon lake in az when some moron in his 30 footer didn't see,or didn't care how he came across my bow. I couldn't get it started quick enough to get out of his way. I got it started and limped close to shore where I was able to turn on the bilge pump. Moral of the story is to put a bilge pump switch on dash.:D :coffeycup v-drive

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-28-2007, 07:44 AM
That would be me that almost sank it. I was on canyon lake in az when some moron in his 30 footer didn't see,or didn't care how he came across my bow. I couldn't get it started quick enough to get out of his way. I got it started and limped close to shore where I was able to turn on the bilge pump. Moral of the story is to put a bilge pump switch on dash.:D :coffeycup v-drive
LOL.... NO i didn't sink my boat. My dad is 'V-drive' and we are restoring it. We are coming along quite well and I'm hoping the new birthdate will be in July 07. I often think about the possiblities of sinking the boat once we're all done and I'm out there all by my lonesome self, but that's just my mind thinkin the worse.
:) Ok, I get it...
I like to run a bilge pump and a splash guard and I value the splash guard more. A supersoaker works great too for quick draining.
Have you tried Big River? San Antonio gets a little rough on weekends but its not too bad.

SweetPea
05-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Big River looks pretty cool, but they are booked. I've gotta make reservations this year for next year. I'm gonna keep lookin. I'm looking forward to Parker too!

jh4rt
05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Lake San Antonio is great. It gets hot. Are you going to leave the boat in the water or pull it out each night?
North Shore is rough/dirty near the water, but fun. South shore is a bit more of a drive, but campgrounds are amazing. The marina there has slips if you want to leave the boat in the water. On the North Shore, you can leave the boat in the water anchored in front of your RV/Camp.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Big River looks pretty cool, but they are booked. I've gotta make reservations this year for next year. I'm gonna keep lookin. I'm looking forward to Parker too!
Did you sign up for Irvine lake fathers day weekend? You can camp there too. :)

Marty Gras
05-28-2007, 10:55 AM
How about a couple of inner tubes under the deck? 3 or 4 along with a "capped rail" would give you plenty of nose to hook onto.

BrendellaJet
05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
If you are going during the middle of the week most lakes will be fine for that little boat. If you're going during the weekend any so cal lake is gonna be terror on the old lavey.
Personally Id make the river work. Mohave down to blythe. Just wait till the water comes up and go have fun. Dont be caught too far down river when the level starts dropping... in most places you can see the bottom, and the shallower it gets the better the visibility
If you want to go to a lake, you gotta do it during the week to have nice water.

SweetPea
05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
We are planning to go sunday to friday in august. The river is to stinkin hot for the people that are coming and tenting it. My man and I along with Mom and Dad will try and hit the river in July. Pine lake looks cool but didn't see anything for RV hook ups.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-28-2007, 07:50 PM
We are planning to go sunday to friday in august. The river is to stinkin hot for the people that are coming and tenting it. My man and I along with Mom and Dad will try and hit the river in July. Pine lake looks cool but didn't see anything for RV hook ups.
It gets hot at those central Ca lakes too... Tent camping along the river isn't too bad. You can sleep on a picnic bench or deck of your boat with a wet towell or if you're a little higher maintenance than that buy a little portable ac unit for the tent opening (where you zip it) :)

v-drive
05-29-2007, 02:14 AM
If you are going during the middle of the week most lakes will be fine for that little boat. If you're going during the weekend any so cal lake is gonna be terror on the old lavey.
Personally Id make the river work. Mohave down to blythe. Just wait till the water comes up and go have fun. Dont be caught too far down river when the level starts dropping... in most places you can see the bottom, and the shallower it gets the better the visibility
If you want to go to a lake, you gotta do it during the week to have nice water.
Hey Bri, hows the boat coming along? Bets and I were going to stop by yesterday but I thought you might be busy. I know, pick up the phone. I hate phones you know that. later...pop

BA Kurtis
05-29-2007, 04:30 AM
glad to here you guys are getting the Lavey togather, lets see some pictures of the progress. Its hard to beat the big river area as far as good water conditions, if big river park is booked try weeler inn or rio del sol I know they both have a few spots they hold for week end use, if all else fails theres always the best western in Parker.

MKEELINE
05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
You should check out Don Pedro Lake. It's a big lake and can get a little rough in the main body, but there's lots of coves that are nice. It's a great lake and the camping is good. www.donpedrolake.com

v-drive
05-29-2007, 08:12 AM
glad to here you guys are getting the Lavey togather, lets see some pictures of the progress. Its hard to beat the big river area as far as good water conditions, if big river park is booked try weeler inn or rio del sol I know they both have a few spots they hold for week end use, if all else fails theres always the best western in Parker.
What's up Dan, they are actually towing the boat out to the pinstrippers next Saturday. Hopefully it will be back by the following week for final assembly. maybe then we will remember to take pictures

BrendellaJet
05-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey Bri, hows the boat coming along? Bets and I were going to stop by yesterday but I thought you might be busy. I know, pick up the phone. I hate phones you know that. later...pop
You should have stopped by, I was out there working on it all day. Its getting close.

BrendellaJet
05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
The river is to stinkin hot for the people that are coming and tenting it.
Thats what the water is for! Honestly its gonna be blazing hot anywhere you go that time of the year. Don Pedro looks nice & I've heard good things about it.

v-drive
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
You should have stopped by, I was out there working on it all day. Its getting close.
Shoot, I hope Betsy doesn't read this or my names mud. Jessica don't tell her. pop

SweetPea
05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
i'm making it a point to get out there in July. Big River is BOOKed, but i'll def try those other places. thanks for the info. The boat is coming along..... i'm super excited and will for sure take pics. thanks!!

SweetPea
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Thats what the water is for! Honestly its gonna be blazing hot anywhere you go that time of the year. Don Pedro looks nice & I've heard good things about it.
Where are you planning on taking your boat once it's done? Elsinore doesn't count!

SweetPea
05-30-2007, 09:27 PM
You should check out Don Pedro Lake. It's a big lake and can get a little rough in the main body, but there's lots of coves that are nice. It's a great lake and the camping is good. www.donpedrolake.com
Don Pedro looks really nice. We are planning on going during the week so hopefully not to rough. You know the speed limit out on the water? Thanks for the ref too!

BrendellaJet
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Where are you planning on taking your boat once it's done? Elsinore doesn't count!
Oh yes it does! Not this weekend but the weekend after I will be there! After that we are going to Mcintyre Park-lower river. You should check it out. Its about a 3.5 hour drive from So Cal. Its on the lower river. Very nice place. Im pretty sure they have RV hookups too. Keep an eye out for sandbars & wait for the water to come up.
Would be awesome during the week. Not a soul around, well maybe a few, but not many...

MKEELINE
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Don Pedro looks really nice. We are planning on going during the week so hopefully not to rough. You know the speed limit out on the water? Thanks for the ref too!
I don't think they have any speed limitations, other than being safe. During the week you should be fine, it can get rough when the wind comes up. The only problem at Don Pedro is that they only carry 87 octane at the marinas. They used to have 92, but no more. There are some gas station within 10 minutes of the campground, but it was nice having 92 available on the water.

Firecracker
05-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Have you thought of Lost Lake? It is down river a ways from Big River, but there is some really nice water there, especially if you are a waterskier. Just across the way from the campground, there is a small hidden cove that you can beach your boats on and hang out in all day. We taught my uncle's kids to waterski there. We take our flatbottom there, and several others. They have just s cheesy home page, but here it is:http://users.redrivernet.com/lostlakeresort/:D

Firecracker
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Here is an aerial shot of it
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/16780lostlake.jpg

BrendellaJet
05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
How far from Mcintyre to Lost lake, anybody know? Can you do the drive on water or do you have to trailer?

v-drive
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I hate Florida....v-drive

SweetPea
06-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Oh yes it does! Not this weekend but the weekend after I will be there! After that we are going to Mcintyre Park-lower river. You should check it out. Its about a 3.5 hour drive from So Cal. Its on the lower river. Very nice place. Im pretty sure they have RV hookups too. Keep an eye out for sandbars & wait for the water to come up.
Would be awesome during the week. Not a soul around, well maybe a few, but not many...
I'll check it out. i kinda want to take the vdrive to parker in July during the week? I'm nervous on the river; Parker feels more like a lake to me... i guess. Good luck on taking it to Elsinore. We are gonna take the vdrive there first to see how it runs and so i can actually learn how to drive it!

SweetPea
06-01-2007, 07:47 AM
I don't think they have any speed limitations, other than being safe. During the week you should be fine, it can get rough when the wind comes up. The only problem at Don Pedro is that they only carry 87 octane at the marinas. They used to have 92, but no more. There are some gas station within 10 minutes of the campground, but it was nice having 92 available on the water.
Yeah that sounds like a bummer..... i'm sure we will fill up all our cans before we hit the lake, 'V-Drive' is a pro at this & he'll teach me all i need to know.
I made reservations for DON PEDRO in August and I'm super excited to get out there! I'm still nervous cause I have this dreaded thought that i'm gonna sink it... LOL.

v-drive
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah that sounds like a bummer..... i'm sure we will fill up all our cans before we hit the lake, 'V-Drive' is a pro at this & he'll teach me all i need to know.
I made reservations for DON PEDRO in August and I'm super excited to get out there! I'm still nervous cause I have this dreaded thought that i'm gonna sink it... LOL.
That's why I want Rob to Drive it more. You will be just like your mom, she just loves to go fast and do donuts in that thing. Jus jokin Jess you'll be fine. You are your mothers daughter.:D v-drive