PDA

View Full Version : Drowning today at Lake Elsinore

SandbarScot
05-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Date/Time Written: Sunday May 27, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Type of Incident: Accidental Drowning
Date/Time of Incident: Sunday May 27, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Location of Incident: 500 W. Lakeshore Dr.
Reporting Officer: Sergeant Michael Yates
File Number: L-07-147-101
On Sunday, May 27, 2007, at approximately 3:15 p.m., the Lake Elsinore Police Department received information of a possible drowning in the area of the Sea Port Launch Ramp (500 W. Lakeshore Dr.). Lake patrol deputies from the Lake Elsinore Station and members from the Lake Elsinore Marine Search and Rescue responded to the scene.
Upon arrival they located a female in her twenties, from Los Angeles. This female advised that her boyfriend had entered the water and was now missing.
Several good samaritan's also responded to the area and began to assist deputies in the search for the missing male subject. At approximately 3:35 p.m. Deputy Roger Doyle located the male subject at a water depth of 15 feet. Deputies Robert Guerrero and Jeff Hurd assisted Doyle in swimming the victim ashore. Paramedic's administered emergency medical aid and transported the victim to Inland Valley Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 4:33 p.m.
The investigation determined that the adult male was at the lake with his family when he noticed a young female child struggling to stay afloat in the water. The adult male went to the child's aid and assisted her to safety. Due to the fact he could not swim, the adult male was unable to stay afloat resulting in his drowning.
The Riverside County Coroner's Office took custody of the drowning victim's remains pending family notification. Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Lake Elsinore Station at (951)245-3300.

jbone
05-28-2007, 01:25 AM
How did he drown if he was able to assist the child to safety?
Sounds wierd, but if he did save the child, he is a hero.
J

Trailer Park Casanova
05-28-2007, 04:21 AM
J
Ditto here too.
Sad to read it, doesn't have to happen.
If ya can't swim ya can't go on our boat.
Kids have vests on until the boat is off the water.
If they play on the beach, they wear a vest.
7 and under the vest has a crotch strap.
At nite the vests ALL have glow sticks attached and activated.
Like I said, doesn't have to happen.
Kids CG approved vests are cheap and they last decades.

dragboat
05-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Ditto here too.
Well said, thats what we do at our boat club. Even if it's not your kid you have the same responsibility to "instruct" anyone else's children to wear a vest while on the dock or past the yellow line.

Eliminator951
05-28-2007, 08:20 AM
J
Long time lurker here but rarely post. I just got off the phone with my buddy that was out there yesterday, he said he assisted the police and brought the body up from the bottom. He said the deputies asked volunteers to form a line and they were walking when my friend was able to get ahold of his foot.
They found a life jacket in the water but they are not sure if it belonged to the drowning victem and was not buckled or if it didn't belong to him at all.
Some of the details are a little blurry, but the story goes he went out and saved a child and then drowned himself. Very sad...

socaldj1
05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Ditto here too.
Pretty much the same rules here. I'm glad to see this type of feedback. I'll be buying glowsticks this week. Never though about that. My kids can swim, but still need vest to play in the water when we are out.

I DIG IT !
05-28-2007, 09:34 AM
That sucks, Hate to here about things like this

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-28-2007, 12:15 PM
What a tragedy. What a brave person to attempt to save the child knowing he couldn't swim himself. :( Thankfully they didn't both drown and the child was able to make it to shore.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
05-28-2007, 12:28 PM
How horrible for him, but thank god he saved a young life. I have heard from others before that when a person can't swim and see's a situation like this, they totally forget about the "can't swim thing" and only think about saving a life.
My children are teenagers now but always wore a life vest and still do when on there jet ski. But I really like the idea of the glow sticks, we put them on our dogs at night camping, but it's ideas like this that can save another life. I will be stocking up on some, heck at the dollar tree there 1.00 for 12 sticks. Just incase other parents aren't aware of this great idea.
Our prayers go out to the family of this young man.
Mrs. Moose

RitcheyRch
05-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Very sad.

Focker
05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
very sad indeed
has anyone heard that a patriots player drowned today in a jet ski accident while not wearing a vest?

Jbb
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
very sad indeed
has anyone heard that a patriots player drowned today in a jet ski accident while not wearing a vest?
Yep...more bad news (http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2007/05/28/674692.html&cvqh=itn_patriots)