PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Sangerdude
05-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I just had Bergeron Engineering put together a fin, strut, and rudder for my 80 sanger mini day cruiser...I sent all of the above off of my boat to them so they could send back "duplicates" of what was taken off...I got all the parts together on Friday. I went to put everything in...and would you know it, the strut needed to be ground on , as did the fin in order to fit in the "hole" and the rudder's slot for the key way was was too low on the shaft, it was in the area of the top bearing, which is about 2 inches too low...SO, I had to pay a machine shop 85 dollars to machine a new key way in the stainless shaft where it was supposed to be...
SO the question is what would you do?
All in all, I dropped over 2 grand on some bad ass stainless steel, and it did show up polished and tight lookin, but for me to have to cut a new slot in the shaft, after I had sent them all the old stuff....???

Kindsvater Flat
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Call and talk to them. They will make it good.

FLATS ONLY
05-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I would call and talk with them! I would not try to resolve this on the internet.They have been around a long time there is a reason for it! I am sure they want you to be happy with the job.They wont know unless you tell them.

Moneypitt
05-28-2007, 03:33 PM
If they made a mistake I'm sure they would've fixed it. But, since someone else has already fixed it I'm not sure what you will gain/recover.......Then you must also consider that your boat may have a different mechanical arrangement than others.......Granted you send your stuff in as an example and it should have been copied..............MP

GofastRacer
05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Should have called them first before modifying the part/s they would have made it right!.. YIKES, $85 to cut a keyway!...:eek: :eek:

Sangerdude
05-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, $85 to cut a keyway...on Saturday at or near closing time on a 3 day weekend for most...I thought it was a deal! I wanted to get the damn boat wet!!! After all the cussing and cutting and grinding to make the fin and strut fit, I figured the rudder would be the last thing, and the easiest...boy was I wrong.
I am NOT trying to put out bad vibes with this post at all...I think that Phil and his son Brian are great people to deal with and talk to. I have to say that they do AWESOME work and finish/polish it top notch...I was just a tad upset over the cost and the fitment issues, is all. Like I said, I also shipped all the above off of my boat for them to copy...I just wanted an opinion from the good and kind people here to see what you would do...that is all.
I plan to call and talk to Phil tomorrow...I hope one and all had a safe and entirely too fun weekend!
Lata

lucky
05-28-2007, 08:16 PM
i think you shoud write them a bad check - hell you already did the worst internet deed by posting first and not talking to them - THEY rock ! Now I think the bad check thing would get you in the market of around 600 postsss :D I don't quite get your post :devil: - did you post to bitch ? did you post in hopes of getting 85 bucks back ?? :Or ya just : trying to cause a fuss???? I would calll and aplogize for this post ! tell them your drunk or somthing :)

dmontzsta
05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
The thing to do is definitely let them know, I am sure you could work something out. I just dont know why you couldn't figure that out. :) I think they check the boards, the best thing to do is delete this thread and hope nobody else sees it and only post back up if you REALLY have a problem. :)

Moneypitt
05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Does your steering attach to the rudder above the bearing??? Seems like most are under the bearing, where yours was keyed.........MP

sc fab 1
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
hey guys, its funny that this thread came about. i feel sangerdude!:( i just installed a set of there plate bosses on my brothers boat and boy was it a chore. as a bussiness owner (fab shop) i try and give my customers a finished product ( BOLT ON!!!!!). when i noticed that there bushings weren't pressed in, which i think should have been). not everybody has a press. i thought no big deal, i'll just press them in. after pressing them in and reinstalling them for the second time i started to install the turn buckles. here is the second problem. tolerances are too tight for the clevis pins. so now i had to ream them out to fit. all that i am saying is they did not have a bolt on item that anybody could install. to add to that there pretty pricy for a product that is not ready to bolt on. my 2 cents!

FLATS ONLY
05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
hey guys, its funny that this thread came about. i feel sangerdude!:( i just installed a set of there plate bosses on my brothers boat and boy was it a chore. as a bussiness owner (fab shop) i try and give my customers a finished product ( BOLT ON!!!!!). when i noticed that there bushings weren't pressed in, which i think should have been). not everybody has a press. i thought no big deal, i'll just press them in. after pressing them in and reinstalling them for the second time i started to install the turn buckles. here is the second problem. tolerances are too tight for the clevis pins. so now i had to ream them out to fit. all that i am saying is they did not have a bolt on item that anybody could install. to add to that there pretty pricy for a product that is not ready to bolt on. my 2 cents!
If your in business then you should know how this should be handled,where do you guys get bolt on shiiit for old v-drive boats? Im sure nobody has advertised bolt on! (fab?)

rocket98
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I have done business with Phil for over twenty years. The only thing that made me question his services was if it was odd or even. You call it right and it was free, not it was double. He has done more for the sport than most that I can recall. Before posting I would have called an given him a chance to make it right. This post is way to early to call him and his business out.

sc fab 1
05-29-2007, 05:47 AM
If your in business then you should know how this should be handled,where do you guys get bolt on shiiit for old v-drive boats? Im sure nobody has advertised bolt on! (fab?)
1st off, i would have called 1st. i didn't state that in my 1st post..... i know these things are old and most of this stuff is hard to find. but there are parts that have been manufactured for a long time that should be (like plate bosses) bolt on items. these parts should have been finished ready to bolt on. alot of guys on here are heavy v drivers ( DRIVES ) not heavy wrenchers. it sucks to buy something and then have to take it to a machine shop to make it work! ...i'm glad they are still in bussiness and are producing v drive parts. it is some of the nicest looking stuff. it just would of been nice to bolt them on, thats all.

FLATS ONLY
05-29-2007, 06:16 AM
1st off, i would have called 1st. i didn't state that in my 1st post..... i know these things are old and most of this stuff is hard to find. but there are parts that have been manufactured for a long time that should be (like plate bosses) bolt on items. these parts should have been finished ready to bolt on. alot of guys on here are heavy v drivers ( DRIVES ) not heavy wrenchers. it sucks to buy something and then have to take it to a machine shop to make it work! ...i'm glad they are still in bussiness and are producing v drive parts. it is some of the nicest looking stuff. it just would of been nice to bolt them on, thats all.
YOU DID NOT CALL YOU POSTED! MAYBE THEY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH YOUR PARTS.TURN THE TABLES! HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO BE HANDLED?

superdave013
05-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Should have called them first before modifying the part/s they would have made it right!.. YIKES, $85 to cut a keyway!...:eek: :eek:
what would you think a fair price would be??

Racey
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
YIKES, $85 to cut a keyway!...:eek: :eek:
That's what i said, gotta love those guys with strict minimums, what did it take, all of 10 minutes to get the thing fixtured and cut. that's making a hell of a living, i'll cut em all day long for 85 a pop :D

superdave013
05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
That's what i said, gotta love those guys with strict minimums, what did it take, all of 10 minutes to get the thing fixtured and cut. that's making a hell of a living, i'll cut em all day long for 85 a pop :D
If think you can drop what you're doing, and get that in and out the door in 10 minutes you're smokin something better then me.
I'd cut them all day for 20 bucks a pop. But this guy only had one. Most shops are busy enough that stoping to do an 85 dollar job is just not worth it.
BTW, do you think that all of that 85 goes in someone's pocket?

old flat
05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
To start with, GET OFF BRIAN AND PHIL !!! They are stand up people, I deal with them all the time, they always have done the right thing: They can't make right what they don't know about. You are wrong for posting without talking to Bergeron Engineering first. Next, V-Drivers should be wrenchers, or get out. Agreed there are no "bolt on" parts for my old boats, live with it. Last, you should have talked to Phil before you started cutting up the parts, I have all confidence that Phil would do the right thing, that's the way they work, now you hacked the parts, so it's on you. Internet is the wrong place for this use the phone!!!
STEVE

FLATS ONLY
05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
To start with, GET OFF BRIAN AND PHIL !!! They are stand up people, I deal with them all the time, they always have done the right thing: They can't make right what they don't know about. You are wrong for posting without talking to Bergeron Engineering first. Next, V-Drivers should be wrenchers, or get out. Agreed there are no "bolt on" parts for my old boats, live with it. Last, you should have talked to Phil before you started cutting up the parts, I have all confidence that Phil would do the right thing, that's the way they work, now you hacked the parts, so it's on you. Internet is the wrong place for this use the phone!!!
STEVE
Im sure by now it has been taken care of, and a post of that,would be the right thing to do!

Marty Gras
05-29-2007, 08:28 PM
"I know these things are old and most of this stuff is hard to find"... BS! If you actually make the stuff yourself, it's made "to fit". Everyone has a "tale to tell" about one shop or another, but the time table on this order needs to be part of this post. If it was a hurry up job, then that's what you get! If the shop had plenty of time to do the job, then I would want to know, what happened? Just would like to get some facts without all of the "ass kissing BS".

jimsplace
05-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I guess everyone has an opinion.
Here is my experience. There are very few bolt on items that don't need to be massaged. That of course depends on how particular you are. For the most part, if a part is being replaced, there is a reason. It is bent, it is corroded, or something that makes it difficult if not impossible to match. In some cases the original part may have been modified some to fit. Very few v-drives have been built on a production line. They are after all custom boats.
I know it is frustrating to get parts that don't just bolt on. I have the ability to make some of my own parts with the boat there. Unfortunately, it is not unusual to hand fit some of my own work.
Talking to the people that make these parts is the only way to get what is needed. Sometimes, it is an easy fix. Other times - well that is another story.
To answer the original question. Part of the original problem had to do with a "last" minute; need to get something fixed. If the project had been started earlier the rudder could have been returned for the needed fix and the extra money would not have been spent. It is inconvenient and not what we want to do.
"BEEN THERE - DONE THAT" Many times.

Racey
05-30-2007, 07:51 AM
If think you can drop what you're doing, and get that in and out the door in 10 minutes you're smokin something better then me.
I'd cut them all day for 20 bucks a pop. But this guy only had one. Most shops are busy enough that stoping to do an 85 dollar job is just not worth it.
BTW, do you think that all of that 85 goes in someone's pocket?
No but i've done a couple walk-in rudder keyway cuts for $40, maybe I'm just too nice a guy. unless you are in the middle of having a fixture set up on the mill for something totally different it doesnt take very long to put that thing in the table vice find your center and make your cuts. But i guess thats difference between taking something to a machine shop vs taking it to a Boat Shop that knows/does machining.
Oh and what someone else was saying about those turnbuckle pins not fitting without being reamed, i've had that same exact problem from them and it sorta pisses you off to have to ream all the damn holes .010" bigger in hard ass stainless. Not saying anything bad about bergeron, they are great guys, make killer stuff, and are always there to make it right for you, but sometimes that little stuff can irk you.

Sangerdude
05-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I am NOT trying to put out bad vibes with this post at all...I think that Phil and his son Brian are great people to deal with and talk to. I have to say that they do AWESOME work and finish/polish it top notch...I was just a tad upset over the cost and the fitment issues, is all. Like I said, I also shipped all the above off of my boat for them to copy...I just wanted an opinion from the good and kind people here to see what you would do...that is all.
I plan to call and talk to Phil tomorrow...I hope one and all had a safe and entirely too fun weekend!
Lata
Ok, so I had to quote myself here...I NEVER once said that these people suck or are A-holes in any way! They do top notch shit....I was just frustrated by the fitment issues since I sent them my stuff to copy, as they said. I wanted to be on the water this weekend, but wasnt able to get out, No-biggie!!! (by the way: this was not a rush rush job...the whole process took about a month!)
I did call and they are stand up people and they do top notch service before, during, and after the fact...I am not sure where anyone found an area in my original post where I once said they sucked or were dill-holes or such??
Anyway, if you need stuff fabricated...call Phil or Brian at Bergeron Engineering! Good people!
Nuff said...

EXTREMEBOATS
06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
:eek: We are a dealer for Bergeron. Like myself, attack the bastard then see how they responed. These guys eat ,live and shit this stuff. Not easy to shoot them down. Every thing they have helped me with shows true people. We have all seen times where some one was'nt pleased. Not giving them a chance shows more about the customer then the dealer. Commen sence tells the truth. With there history I for one , say "BULL SHIT" They deserve more respect..... And I say if you dont give them the chance to make you happy dont bitch. I think they should be shown the respect they have earned.
Mike Cline4:idea:

EXTREMEBOATS
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I just had Bergeron Engineering put together a fin, strut, and rudder for my 80 sanger mini day cruiser...I sent all of the above off of my boat to them so they could send back "duplicates" of what was taken off...I got all the parts together on Friday. I went to put everything in...and would you know it, the strut needed to be ground on , as did the fin in order to fit in the "hole" and the rudder's slot for the key way was was too low on the shaft, it was in the area of the top bearing, which is about 2 inches too low...SO, I had to pay a machine shop 85 dollars to machine a new key way in the stainless shaft where it was supposed to be...
SO the question is what would you do?
All in all, I dropped over 2 grand on some bad ass stainless steel, and it did show up polished and tight lookin, but for me to have to cut a new slot in the shaft, after I had sent them all the old stuff....???
$85 bucks????? Thats one hour in my shop.... This stuff is not cheap. The time it takes just to set up the machine is worth twice that. Ever thought about buying a jet ski??? sounds more in your budget....:sqeyes:

GofastRacer
06-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Sooo, the average time to cut a 1" long keyway on a rudder takes an hour???, man have I been getting ****ED big time!...:mad:

Sangerdude
06-03-2007, 10:16 AM
$85 bucks????? Thats one hour in my shop.... This stuff is not cheap. The time it takes just to set up the machine is worth twice that. Ever thought about buying a jet ski??? sounds more in your budget....:sqeyes:
you are an idiot...read all my posts first...I have not bashed them at all... and yes, that is what the shop charged me...they had to stop what they were doing, set things up and then cut the key-way, this was Memorial Weekend, Saturday, just before they were going to close...again, read my posts and then respond intelligently. $85 is not the same $85...it is all relevant to where you stand and where you live...DORK!:boxingguy

wsuwrhr
06-03-2007, 10:43 AM
BTW $85 is in there.
For a walk-up ***boater or friend deal, I would probably charge less....but to cut a single keyway in a stainless shaft, not so far out there.
$40? Just do it for free