PDA

View Full Version : Greed & The Salvation Army...

Jbb
05-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Neighbors were completely surprised to learn that when modest-living Hector Guy Di Stefano and his wife Doris died, they left a $264 million estate to be divided equally among 8 charities, among them them the Salvation Army and Greenpeace .
But there was a snag: the couple left the money to Greenpeace International Inc., but before they died, Greenpeace International Inc. was dissolved and absorbed into a larger outfit, Greenpeace Fund. All of the charities had no problem with this technicality (after all, they weren’t expecting any money - the Di Stefanos didn’t tell them beforehand). All, except for one: the Salvation Army.
Apparently, $33 million wasn’t enough for the Salvation Army - it sued to prevent Greenpeace from its share of the bequest, arguing that the entity the Di Stefanos had left money to no longer existed and that the money should instead be divided equally amongst the remaining 7 charities! The rest of the charities stood to gain an extra $6 million, but no one wanted to come near Salvation Army’s lawsuit.
Earlier this May, the Salvation Army and Greenpeace settled their lawsuit: it seems like the Salvation Army will get the $6 million extra share of Greenpeace’s slice of money, while Greenpeace will still get about $27 million.
link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003697026_webgreenpeace07m.html)

RitcheyRch
05-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Money is the root of all evil.

r erfert
05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I will never understand why people with that kind on money,would not set up a charity of their own to help out people of their choosing/deserving.........But leave a large sum to another group to spend it at will.:idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Money is the root of all evil.
"The love of money is the root of all evil"
Money itself can do a lot of good. It's people's greed that is the problem.

Schiada76
05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Good for them!:D
greenpeace is a bunch of fawking antiamerican azzholes!

RitcheyRch
05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
You are right. I thought the saying I posted looked wrong. :D
"The love of money is the root of all evil"
Money itself can do a lot of good. It's people's greed that is the problem.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-28-2007, 02:32 PM
:D
It's probably one of the most misquoted quotes. I don't even know who said it.
Edit:
Found the answer
1 Timothy 6:10 (King James Version)
Public Domain
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
Interesting to use that to describe the Salvation Army, a religious organization. I have always liked the charity, however, I think my image of them has been a little tarnished.

Xlration Marine
05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
My mother does charity work for them back home. She tells me that the head honcho of the store goes through the donated goods before any one else. Thats against company rules, but she does it any way. I wanted to donate a used boat to the Kidney foundation years ago, they said it needed to be in good running condition or they wouldn't take it. It's not like they would have even seen it since all vehicles and the like go to an auction house and are sold that way. If they want money from me now I tell them to go to my church and ask them. At least this way I don't know where it goes so I don't get ticked off when I see people abusing the system.

r erfert
05-28-2007, 08:51 PM
My mother does charity work for them back home. She tells me that the head honcho of the store goes through the donated goods before any one else. Thats against company rules, but she does it any way. I wanted to donate a used boat to the Kidney foundation years ago, they said it needed to be in good running condition or they wouldn't take it. It's not like they would have even seen it since all vehicles and the like go to an auction house and are sold that way. If they want money from me now I tell them to go to my church and ask them. At least this way I don't know where it goes so I don't get ticked off when I see people abusing the system.
Thought I heard about higher ups in charities keeping the good stuff on like 60 minutes or something?
There is a salvage auction that sells donated vehicles from the Kidney foundation, Heart association and what ever program that gets donated cars,boats and what not (running or otherwise) They are all sold as is in the salvage section for what ever they bring (the charities have no interest in the vehicles and would rather have the cash value)
Last vehicle I picked up was a 70 firebird (parked some 20 years) mostly complete for $300.

C-2
05-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, somebody should make sure Greenpeace used recycled paper for all their pleadings.:D