PDA

View Full Version : Open spacers

76miller
05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Has anbody had any luck with "open style" 2'' spacers, as far as rpm gain. I'm currently running a 4-hole style, they say the 4-hole is more for torque on the bottom end and the open is for top end. Just wondering if anybody has done the trial and air with the two and seen any differences ? I was thinking of trying the Wilson Tapered 2'' spacer, but not sure if its worth it ($120)

Blown 472
05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
This is what I have read and for what it is worth, open spacers are good for intakes that dont have a big enough plenum and the four hole gives a better signal to the carb and helps straighted out air flow, the super suckers are supposed to be the shit I have never tryed one thou.

76miller
05-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Blown 472, hey those super suckers, are they made by Brodix ? Options are making this buy a hard decision !

Blown 472
05-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Blown 472, hey those super suckers, are they made by Brodix ? Options are making this buy a hard decision !
My buddy had a wilson I think, but then he went from a 950 to a 1050 and took it off, it seemed to work.

thmper321
05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I have seen 15 to 20 Hp increases during dyno tests. The better increases were seen with single plane intakes. We tried a Wilson on an old school torque box intake bolted on a stroked Boss 429 and there was no increase at all. It seems to depend on the intake style.

cfm
05-29-2007, 03:13 AM
76 Miller - Please tell us carb, intake, cyl head, cam, compression, cid, and WOT rpm.

76miller
05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
CFM, I have a 830 hp holley, on a victor intake, with aluminum pro comp heads(that flow 344int./225exh. at 600 lift) , 10.5 c/r , 466ci, and w.o.t is 5200rpm. I'm currently running the 2'' 4 hole spacer from Jeg's, and I'm very happy with the boat, it runs 78mph all day long with very little pump work(for now) but just looking for a little more rpm gain with out digging into the cam or intake...this season. Any help, or past experiences ?? Thanks alot.

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
CFM, I have a 830 hp holley, on a victor intake, with aluminum pro comp heads(that flow 344int./225exh. at 600 lift) , 10.5 c/r , 466ci, and w.o.t is 5200rpm. I'm currently running the 2'' 4 hole spacer from Jeg's, and I'm very happy with the boat, it runs 78mph all day long with very little pump work(for now) but just looking for a little more rpm gain with out digging into the cam or intake...this season. Any help, or past experiences ?? Thanks alot.
Did you have those pro comp heads flowed or something? They claimed over 400 cfm...

vee-driven
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey wayne, i have two inch spacers for standard 4150 holleys, open and 4 hole, you can borrow them if you want. Maybe we can bolt them alltogether and that might do the trick.

76miller
05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Did you have those pro comp heads flowed or something? They claimed over 400 cfm...
I'm quoting the flow #'s that pro comp gave me when I bought them. At .600 valve lift they flow 344cfm on the intake side and 225cfm on the exhaust, and at .700 valve lift they flow 350cfm on the intake side, can't remember the exhaust. I'm not following your question with the 400cfm ?

76miller
05-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Whats up Pat ! Lurking around jet country huh ! That would be cool if I could try the open spacer, for the day. I'm just curious if there is any gains.

Aluminum Squirt
05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
People have called me an idiot for this suggestion, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Make them out of wood. If you have any skills with a router, some hole saws, files, drills, etc you can make a couple of different spacers. You can see which one works the best and then either buy one close to what you made or have a custom one cut out of aluminum or plastic. The wood soaks up a little gas but with an open engine compartment, low intake temps, and mostly atomized gas, its usually not an issue. I think Moroso actually catalogs wood spacers?? Wood is also a good insulator, keeping your carb nice and cool. I got flamed big time on another board for this suggestion. Just a thought-Aluminum Squirt

vee-driven
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I used a big spacer between my carbs. lol, i gots the parts you need, and phuket stack them basterds. I'm not lurking in jet country, i am just lookin at new posts. Hit me up for the spacers.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/patsnewpics007.jpg

vee-driven
05-30-2007, 07:31 PM
People have called me an idiot for this suggestion, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Make them out of wood. If you have any skills with a router, some hole saws, files, drills, etc you can make a couple of different spacers. You can see which one works the best and then either buy one close to what you made or have a custom one cut out of aluminum or plastic. The wood soaks up a little gas but with an open engine compartment, low intake temps, and mostly atomized gas, its usually not an issue. I think Moroso actually catalogs wood spacers?? Wood is also a good insulator, keeping your carb nice and cool. I got flamed big time on another board for this suggestion. Just a thought-Aluminum Squirt
Yes they have wood spacers and i think they refer to them as phenolic or something like that and you are correct on the benifits they provide. And by the way this is ***boat.com not smartpeople.com, so never mind those phuckerz.

76miller
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I can't afford your spacers !! Cool, I'll give ya a call tomorrow.

vee-driven
05-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Whatcha talkin about. You can use the nitrous system too, if you wanna stop messing around.

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm quoting the flow #'s that pro comp gave me when I bought them. At .600 valve lift they flow 344cfm on the intake side and 225cfm on the exhaust, and at .700 valve lift they flow 350cfm on the intake side, can't remember the exhaust. I'm not following your question with the 400cfm ?
I thought that pro comp had claimed 405cfm with there heads...:confused:

76miller
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Pw- If you port them, they could probably flow near that, but....???? The int side is 2.19 and exhaust is 1.71(stock) after port job there claiming 2.3 and 1.9. Thats a pretty huge jump so, who knows ?

cfm
05-31-2007, 04:20 AM
4 holes in a spacer is for better signal to the carb. This especially helps if the carb is too big (not yours) or the carb's metering is a little 'screwed up' for the application and the holes (throttle bore extensions) help pull more fuel out and 'cover up' the issue.
Any 4 hole over 1" long will start causing a restriction to airflow. 2" of 'throttle bore extensions' creates more restriction. I really don't care for them.
In the old days we'd usually end up (in most BBC applications) finding a 4 hole on top of an open would be the best of both worlds. We then started contouring the 4 bowl for better transition (airflow increase, direction, and better signal to carb) and just about pegged it when we ran into the guys at HVH. The 'Super Sucker' dudes. They work ! Big time ! Then of course, other companies started purchasing CNC machines and thus the many blended spacers out there. Wilson's are pretty good btw. A lot of times they make same power as the Super Suckers and a lot of times fall just a tiny bit short. Haven't seen a dyno test (I see a ton btw as most of my customers are dyno operators, engine builders, private people that test a cabunch on dyno and then track, water, or etc) I've personally sold to SAM (school of automotive machine), a few engine masters contestants, last week a gentleman going on the Hotrod Power Tour, etc,etc. About 500-600 spacers a year. Not all SS's of course, because of racing rules, special applications, and etc.
We also use the phenolic 'wood' spacers. They are not wood but appear so. they are a phenolic resin laminate material. Great heat rejecting properties but many times not needed on marine engines with low coolant temps and big single plane intakes with isolated runners and plenums.
With that said, I will not always know 100% what will work best in every application out there, but many times will know exactly what to use, what to try first, or if one will not benefit from a spacer at all. It freaks out those few that here me say "your fine ! No spacer needed!" or "I don't know" lol, or "I'm not really sure but I'd try this first." I've even suggested other companies spacers that I don't sell.
Anyway - blah,blah,blah to myself for typing so much. LOL.
Back to you.
Victor with a 4150 ? I thought all the Victor's for the BBC had a 4500 (dominator) flange ? Are you using an adapter to mount your 4150 ? If so, which one ?
Or did you mean the Victor Jr ? These have a 4150 flange only. I've done a bunch of spacers for this intake on BBC's and have lately been making good gains with a 1" Super Sucker on top of a 1" open phenolic spacer. Could use a 2" SS but for some reason most have been getting a tad more rpm/mph with the 1" SS / 1" open phenolic combo for some reason. The phenolic needs a quick 1 minute match (grinding) to be same size as open part of SS, but it's super easy - the phenolic grinds like wood. If you really want to do it on the cheap buy/borrow two 1" open phenolics and test with 1" and then add the other for 2".
If the 2" 4 hole ends up working the best for some reason, I will immediately say it's because the carb not working correctly or not metering correctly.
Hope I haven't bored anyone. Figured I'd speak my peace and offer anyone here with possible spacer help since it's one of my specialties. Not here to spam, just to offer a hand with something that gets talked and asked about a lot. Also, why I'm around too - info/data/etc that helps me figure some stuff out both personally and professionally.

cfm
05-31-2007, 04:25 AM
After all that - do you have Ford 460 ? If so, sorry. My brain automatically assumes BBC because of all the I/O I deal with. Not many marine Ford's around here.
If BBF -do you have the #2966 Victor 460 with 4150 flange ? If so, my advise stands as I wrote about for spacers on the BBC with Vic JR.
Sorry about that.

pw_Tony
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
If you dont got the bills for the high dollar spacers you could always do this.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/0301phr_rmouse/photo_17.html

76miller
06-01-2007, 05:36 AM
CFM- Hey thanks for all the helpful info. I do have a 460 Ford, and the intake has a 4150 flange on it so, it might be a jr., or just a vic, don't recall. So, with that being said, from your experience, would you stack (2) 1'' spacers, use a ss, or a Wilson ? Thanks again.

cfm
06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
No prob.
Min of 1" Super Sucker. Wilson is fine too if you want.
You can try a 1" open phenolic (wood looking) spacer under that if you have room / fuel line length / etc . That way if 1" blended works best than you won't be out much $$$$.
If anything like the BBC's (468-502's) it should love the 1"SS + 1" open combo.
Lastly - why not 2" SS ? You can, but by remote chance your motor doesn't want the extra 1" then you aren't out mucho.
540's + I go right for the 2". No questions.
Hope this helps.

pw_Tony
06-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I know cfm is more much more experienced than me but from what I understand is that every motor is different and some spacers work better than others. When we would go to the dynos a four hole spacer wuld work better than a single hole, and vise versa. And then you have the trick spacers.
If you know anyone with some the best would be run them and then try another?