PDA

View Full Version : What gear oil is best for the V-Drive & Transmission

SPECTRABRENT
08-18-2001, 07:21 PM
I just bought a Spectra 24 XS and need advice on what gear oil to use in v-drive (Ace Champion) & What brand of trans oil to use in the Velvet Drive Transmission. Also, how often does the above ned to be serviced
I am a long time jet guy and figured to go with larger boat.
SpectraBrent

08-19-2001, 08:18 AM
I run Redline synthetic but any good gear lube will work for you. Try a 75W-90 or a straight 90W. As to the change intervals you can't go wrong by changing once a year under normal use. Water cooled boxes should be changed every year due to condensation/oil contamination.

08-19-2001, 08:21 AM
Spectrabrent, this was for the V-drive only, I don't know what oil to run in a Velvet drive but if it has clutches/bands it may require ATF.

spectras only
08-19-2001, 10:20 PM
Brent, 90 wt gearoil ,reg or synthetic is fine for the Ace Champion, Dextron III ATF is right for your B@W C-72 .

summerlove
08-20-2001, 12:57 PM
Hey Brent:
How's it going? Congrats on the 24XS. I always liked that boat over the standard 24' Spectra. It is my favorite spectra - other than the 18' jet!
Spectra's Only is right - go with the ATF for the C72 and use 90 weight in the vdrive. I'd replace it before you even use it - make sure the oil is clear when you remove it, and hopefully no water or metal particulates are inside. If clean, drop fresh 90 weight in and go. The c72 will run on mud - it is a very durable trans - the ONLY part of my old Campbell 20 that I never rebuilt. Make sure the v-drive intake hose is fresh and appropriately sized. Good luck, and see you at the river... Rick