PDA

View Full Version : Water Pick-up for Hyrdo

P-Money
01-13-2003, 02:02 PM
My dad just bought a hydro (that bright yellow Cole that was for sale on the forums a while back). Since we're new to hydros, I was just wondering where people are putting their water pick-up for the motor and v-drive? I see some pick-up water off the rudder, I assume this is the norm, but just want to make sure. Thanks, and by the way, we need to get rid of the 69 Sanger Flat. Price is definitely negotiable. Link to 69 Sanger (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001745)

superdave013
01-13-2003, 02:09 PM
So you got that boat eh? That's a bad ass rig.
I'm no hydro guy but I see them on the back edge of the rudder also. Don't worry about water to the v drive. You don't really need it in a drag / lake race set up. I would think that the water jackets have been cut out of the case anyway on that boat.
[ January 13, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

P-Money
01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the insight. They just got the boat home on Friday, so we haven't tore into it yet. WI to CA to WI in 5 days means sleep is improtant.

Morg
01-13-2003, 02:23 PM
If you have the water pick on the hull, when the thing kicks the tail you won't get water. I have seen some guy's get away with this if the water pick up gets roosted from the prop. wash. The best deal is to have it on the rudder. I have even seen a water pick up on inboard rudders (I.E. Sangster).
Morg.

SERIOUS ISSUES
01-13-2003, 02:31 PM
My last Hydro had the pickup on the bottom of the hull. It had problem w/ the impeller giong out. My new Hydro has a tube welded to the back of the rudder. I have not used it yet but looks to be a better set up. as for the gear box, My last 2 boats had no water jackets. It got toasty at the lakes but never had any problems w/ them even on long rides.

shirkey4750
01-13-2003, 06:03 PM
I run mine off the rudder and no water to the V-drive. Run Redline synthetic gear oil, no problem with heat and this boat is ran all day on the river. After a 10 mile cruise, case is warm to the touch.

DUCKY
01-13-2003, 10:06 PM
You can also put the water pickup on the trailing edge of one of the sponsons. I would recommend the right one if using a left hand prop, or vice-versa, to avoid the possibility of it coming out of the water under hard acceleration.

P-Money
01-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Anyone had a problem with the pickup on the rudder and the impellor in a neovan waterpump? I guess no matter where the pickup is, water pressure could be an issue. Just curious what people have experienced.

ACCEPTENCE
01-14-2003, 04:21 PM
P-Money:
Anyone had a problem with the pickup on the rudder and the impellor in a neovan waterpump? I guess no matter where the pickup is, water pressure could be an issue. Just curious what people have experienced. Could be wrong here but it's likely the impeller problem is due to the lack of water going to it, yes,no,maybe, Hummm???

DUCKY
01-14-2003, 06:09 PM
If the pickup is on any part of the boat that stays in the water, you shouldn't have any trouble with cooking impellers. as longs as the pickup is of sufficient size.

P-Money
01-15-2003, 08:12 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of too much water, not too little. After what I've heard, the pickup is going on the back of the rudder. Thanks to all who replied, the info is appreciated!
Now someone buy this f*cking flatbottom, we need to get rid of this thing! :D Buy me! (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001745)