PDA

View Full Version : Question about OUI??

40FlatDeck
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
My genius friend got pulled over on a PWC this weekend. He was in a small cove and a friend of his jumped on the back, with no life jacket, to get a ride over to another boat. The Sheriff just happened to see this and ran over there and stopped him. He ended up blowing a 1.92:jawdrop: :D and got taken to the station where we picked him up later.
He ended up getting something like a OUI extreme, passenger without life jacket, reckless driving, and two more things.
What is this going to cost him? What will happen? I was ready to strangle him and leave him in the cooler so whatever happens he deserves it.

Jbb
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
What is this going to cost him?
Everything....deservedly......good thing he didnt plow thru the side of somebodys.....Skater....:jawdrop:

MR.rvrluvr
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
he's F*#k'd

73kona455
05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
It's the Law: On the Water
Alcohol and Drugs
Arizona law prohibits anyone from operating a power-driven vessel while under the influence of alcohol or any drug that causes the person to be even slightly impaired. Alcohol and drugs cause impaired balance, blurred vision, poor coordination, impaired judgment, and slower reaction time. These contribute to nearly one-third of all fatal boating accidents nationwide.
A person is considered to be operating under the influence (OUI) of alcohol if he/she has an alcohol concentration of 0.08% or greater as determined by a test of his/her breath, blood, or urine. "Extreme OUI" is blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.15% and higher.
If convicted of OUI or "Extreme OUI," a person can be fined up to $2,500 and jailed for up to six months. Subsequent convictions and "Aggravated OUI" may carry even more severe penalties.
By operating a vessel on Arizona waters, you have consented to be tested for alcohol or drugs if arrested by a law enforcement officer for alleged violations under Arizona Watercraft Statutes.
Remember—It Only Takes One.
Don't drink and boat

Insurance God
05-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Wow, 1.92... He is screwed. Boat Cop would be the best person to ask. I am under the impression that DUI Extreme carries mandatory jail time (min. 7 days in jail.)

Jordy
05-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Everything....deservedly......good thing he didnt plow thru the side of somebodys.....Skater....:jawdrop:
The JBB, stop hatin' and hold my beer and watch this!!! :D :D :D

40FlatDeck
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
He is the brother of my painter........free fix.:D Being serious, I was very,very upset with him and the people that let him drive. I wanted them to keep him overnight.

Jbb
The JBB, stop hatin' and hold my beer and watch this!!! :D :D :D
Where is that picture of Lil Mr.!.....:D

Goad
heres what i know from indirect experience.
I assume your friend got it in AZ (since CA doesnt have OUI Infractions)....
This took place in AZ (channel area) and he is a CA resident. He was charged with OUI, Extreme OUI and OUI in excess of .15. the person I know who got the OUI had to pay $1,500 bail and got a lawyer. The lawyer managed to get the extreme OUI dropped. The bail was kept by the court in the matter. He was sentanced 2 days in jail (in LHC) and 16 hours of couciling, and $3500 in fines. He had completed all requested items by the state of AZ, then big bad CA DMV got involved 4 months later. They suspended his CA license for 6 months and told him that he needs to enroll in the 30 hour class which is completely seperate from the AZ class he had already taken. Sounds like CA is committing double jeapordy to me, but its not my deal and I try not to get involved.
This ordeal happened last july and he still rides his bike to work.
Now if your friend is a AZ resident, an OUI is seperate from a DUI in AZ. OUI's do not refelct on your driving record. But since CA only has a DUI, they just group them together.

Jbb
05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
He is the brother of my painter........free fix.:D Being serious, I was very,very upset with him and the people that let him drive. I wanted them to keep him overnight.
I bet by the time he is done with this ....if he is at all a rational person....he will likely have learned an important....expensive lesson...

Jordy
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Where is that picture of Lil Mr.!.....:D
Could you narrow it down a little bit??? :notam: :D :D :D :D
I bet by the time he is done with this ....if he is at all a rational person....he will likely have learned an important....expensive lesson...
Aside from the obvious, the lesson that PWC's suck or the one that 2 dudes on a PWC is very gay??? :D :D :D

Jbb
05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Aside from the obvious, the lesson that PWC's suck or the one that 2 dudes on a PWC is very gay??? :D :D :D
...Both!...:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg

Nord
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
lmao

Just foreplay
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
he's F*#k'd
Well said.....to sum it up..

40FlatDeck
05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Soooooooooooo gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.:D :D

AZKC
05-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Friends don't let friends have PWC's. :devil: 1.92:eek: Sounds like me all weekend.
Your buddy's screwed
ARIZONA STATE SENATE
Phoenix, Arizona
FINAL REVISED
FACT SHEET FOR S.B. 1366
watercraft; extreme intoxication
Purpose
Creates the new crime of operating a motorized watercraft while under the extreme influence of intoxicating liquor (extreme OUI) and sets the minimum blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level at .15. Requires all boating while intoxicated offenders to pay costs of incarceration.
Background
Current law provides that a person with a BAC of .08 or greater is guilty of driving under the influence (DUI), and a person with a BAC of .15 or greater is guilty of extreme DUI. Boating laws provide that a person with a BAC of .08 or greater is guilty of OUI but there is no corresponding extreme OUI statute.
S.B. 1366 makes laws regulating OUI equivalent to DUI laws by making a person with a BAC of .15 and above, while operating a watercraft, guilty of extreme OUI. This bill contains the same fines and jail time requirements as current extreme DUI laws.
Any potential fiscal impact is undeterminable.
Provisions
1. Establishes an extreme OUI offense for persons with an alcohol concentration level of .15 or greater within two hours of operating a watercraft.
2. Requires a first-time extreme OUI offender to be sentenced to no less than 30 consecutive days in jail and pay a minimum fine of $250.
3. Requires a person who has been convicted of OUI, aggravated OUI or extreme OUI and commits a second offense of extreme OUI within a five-year period to be sentenced to a minimum of 120 consecutive days in jail and pay a minimum fine of $500.
4. Allows a judge to suspend all but ten days of incarceration for a first-time extreme OUI offense and all but 60 days for a second time OUI offense if the offender completes a court-ordered treatment program.
5. States that extreme OUI offenders are not eligible for probation or suspension of sentence until entire sentence is served.
6. Permits the court to impose community service in addition to incarceration and fines.
7. Requires a person sentenced to a term of incarceration for a boating while intoxicated violation to reimburse the responsible political subdivision for incarceration costs if the court determines the person has the ability to pay.
8. Requires the court to inform defendants of their right to a jury trial.
9. Stipulates that a person convicted of extreme OUI is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
10. Defines “alcohol concentration.”
11. Makes conforming changes.
12. Provides for a general effective date.
Amendments Adopted by Committee of the Whole
· Clarifies that extreme DUI is a class 1 misdemeanor and is not a petty offense like some other boating violations.
Amendments Adopted by the House of Representatives
· Requires a person sentenced to a term of incarceration for a boating while intoxicated violation to reimburse the responsible political subdivision for incarceration costs if the court determines the person has the ability to pay.

Boatcop
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Here's the straight story.
Extreme OUI is being impaired with a BAC of greater than .15%. Your friend was .192%, not 1.92%. If he was 1.92% he'd have been dead a long time ago.
Depending on how the court and/or attorneys handle this, here's what he'll get:
30 day jail sentence. All but 10 days suspended if he completes alcohol screening, and may also be required to take a boating safety class.
Fines of up to $5,000 once all surcharges are included.
If they apply fines to the other violations, he's looking at up to $1,500 for the reckless. $500 or so for the PFD violation, and maybe 250-500 a piece for the other 2.
If he's a California resident, the CA DMV will put a hit on his driver's license. How big a hit depends on whether he has any prior points. It is NOT double jeopardy, since the action on the driver's license is administrative rather than criminal.
So it looks like he'll be out up to $8,000 dollars in fines. minimum 10 days in jail, and probably another $5-$8,000 in attorneys fees.
So make sure he has an extra $15,000 bucks laying around.
And California does have a OUI (BUI) law. Look up Harbors and Navigation Code #655.

Racey
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
It's the Law: On the Water
Alcohol and Drugs
Arizona law prohibits anyone from operating a power-driven vessel while under the influence of alcohol or any drug that causes the person to be even slightly impaired. Alcohol and drugs cause impaired balance, blurred vision, poor coordination, impaired judgment, and slower reaction time. These contribute to nearly one-third of all fatal boating accidents nationwide.
A person is considered to be operating under the influence (OUI) of alcohol if he/she has an alcohol concentration of 0.08% or greater as determined by a test of his/her breath, blood, or urine. "Extreme OUI" is blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.15% and higher.
If convicted of OUI or "Extreme OUI," a person can be fined up to $2,500 and jailed for up to six months. Subsequent convictions and "Aggravated OUI" may carry even more severe penalties.
By operating a vessel on Arizona waters, you have consented to be tested for alcohol or drugs if arrested by a law enforcement officer for alleged violations under Arizona Watercraft Statutes.
Remember—It Only Takes One.
Don't drink and boat
Twice as many fatal accidents Do Not involve alcohol compared to ones that do???? :jawdrop: I guess that means it must be safer to boat under the influence :D :D
Ahhh the power of statistical manipulation

Magic34
05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
He will also have all of his court hearings in Globe. So, for an attorney, that wont be cheap. Do they charge travel time?
Since this happened on Roosevelt and the arrest was issued in that county, does he also have to serve his time in Globe as well?

Goad
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
If he's a California resident, the CA DMV will put a hit on his driver's license. How big a hit depends on whether he has any prior points.
the person i was talking about had ZERO points on his driving record and no prior criminal record and california DMV just rolled it over like it was any old DUI.
I wasnt aware of the BUI, i will relay that to him and maybe he can get that.
I told him to just register as a AZ resident (hes got family there) and call it a day. CA DMV is just dragging out more punishments after the fact and he already met all of AZ's courts requirements. His problem is that he just gets some guy reading a script off of computer at the DMV and doesnt know what to do when someone throws him a curve ball of a situation at them.
Reguardless....just witnessing the crap that hes going through is enough to make me think twice of messing with boating and drinking.

Goad
05-29-2007, 12:01 PM
He will also have all of his court hearings in Globe. So, for an attorney, that wont be cheap. Do they charge travel time?
the attorney was local for the guy i knew and he appeared to all the hearings for him so he only had to be present for the sentencing. I think his attorney fee was about $1,500. I was present for the sentencing as well and I was impressed with the attorney. He had a relationship with the judge and knew what to do and say without pushing his buttons. I would reffer him if I could remember his name.

Boatcop
05-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Since this happened on Roosevelt and the arrest was issued in that county, does he also have to serve his time in Globe as well?
Lake Roosevelt is in Gila County. He'll serve his sentence in the Gila County Jail, either at Globe or Payson.

zudnic
05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Sounds like CA is committing double jeapordy to me, but its not my deal and I try not to get involved.
This ordeal happened last july and he still rides his bike to work.
Now if your friend is a AZ resident, an OUI is seperate from a DUI in AZ. OUI's do not refelct on your driving record. But since CA only has a DUI, they just group them together.
Not really double jeapordy because CA is not putting him through a trial. In the 70's when DUI was becoming more of an issue. States created whats known as the non-resident violator compact. It was designed to ensure non-residents got punished. Prior to the NRVC people could move to another state and get their license back. The basic if a CA resident is convicted of a driving offence in AZ. They notify CA and if they have sim statutes they agreed to apply their punishment as if the offense occured in California........Appears they are using the NRVC with boats as well. This law also makes it harder for people to ignore tickets received outside of their state.
If he has a clean record most likely the pros will cut a plea deal recomending no jail time....Lawyers are usely useless, but they espc. in a small district court sometimes have friendly relations with the pros. guys. The Judge however does not have to follow the pros reconmendations.................So even getting a lawyer might just soften the jail time

Not So Fast
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Extreme OUI is being impaired with a BAC of greater than .15%. Your friend was .192%, not 1.92%. If he was 1.92% he'd have been dead a long time ago.
30 day jail sentence. All but 10 days suspended if he completes alcohol screening, and may also be required to take a boating safety class.
If they apply fines to the other violations, he's looking at up to $1,500 for the reckless. $500 or so for the PFD violation, and maybe 250-500 a piece for the other 2.
If he's a California resident, the CA DMV will put a hit on his driver's license. How big a hit depends on whether he has any prior points. It is NOT double jeopardy, since the action on the driver's license is administrative rather than criminal.
So it looks like he'll be out up to $8,000 dollars in fines. minimum 10 days in jail, and probably another $5-$8,000 in attorneys fees.
And California does have a OUI (BUI) law. Look up Harbors and Navigation Code #655.
That sounds just about right, NSF

MR HARLEY
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
:eek: :eek:

soupersonic
05-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Im glad i threw anchor and spent the night. Sorry about your buddy, money can be replaced ,glad noone got hurt. On a better note, it was good seeing you guys again,the boat looks great and sounds even better.

kingsransomracing
05-29-2007, 12:17 PM
boatcop,
quick question...I don't drink enough to go over the .08% (1 beer maybe every two hours, and I way 255lbs), but the arizona law states .08% as the OUI.
So is it legal to have ONE beer as you are driving down the river, or say at parker...what about driving up to the dam, and then shutting off the motor and having a beer on the float down?

J540
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
WOW. Next time take the key out, It mite save someone a lot of money or someone eles life. The life you may save could be your own.
We need to police our friends once in a while, It may prevent them or someone eles from getting hurt or worse.
I had to hide the rhino keys this weekend cuz some were getting a bit to happy.

zudnic
05-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Should add that the non-resident violator compact is being replaced by an up-dated version. The current deal if your state does not have like manner statutes to apply, no action is taken. New version they have to apply the same action as the state the offense occured in!!!!!
Either event if you get any tickets in another state, like CA resident in AZ. Dont take the I'll just stay out of AZ and ignore them route...

40FlatDeck
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow, that sucks.:( He has been one of my best friends for years and is a good guy. He is going thru some personal problems right now and I think that might of contributed to his stupidity.
He has been to the lake with me a million times and knows that I don't f#ck around with people doing things like that. He was with another group at the time because I was giving a ride to a few of my friends that haven't been on the boat yet.
He should obviously get a lawyer? Thanks for everybodys comments.
Erik

40FlatDeck
05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Im glad i threw anchor and spent the night. Sorry about your buddy, money can be replaced ,glad noone got hurt. On a better note, it was good seeing you guys again,the boat looks great and sounds even better.
Thanks, it was good to see you and the wife too.:D The boat looks like the bugs are worked out. A friend of mine said you came around them like they were standing still.:D
I couldn't be happier with my boat. All the hard work seems to have paid off and it is running stronger than ever. Let me know when you are heading back up there.
Erik

bocco
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
The life vest thing brings up a question I've been wondering about. Is there a seperate law for PWCs that require the life vest to be worn? Or is it just required that you have one for each person some where on the boat?

***boateditor
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/oui.jpg

roostwear
05-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Boatcop, I had read some time ago that in California, reports that state an incident was "alcohol related" did not necessarily mean that alcohol was in anyone's system or a factor in the incident, merely present at an incident. Is this true in Arizona reporting as well?

ratso
05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Boatcop, I had read some time ago that in California, reports that state an incident was "alcohol related" did not necessarily mean that alcohol was in anyone's system or a factor in the incident, merely present at an incident. Is this true in Arizona reporting as well?
My nephew was in a car accident that wasn't his fault, but he had alcohol on his breath (they both did) and my nephew blew a .01... which is barely registering. He said he had one beer. The person that hit him blew a lot higher, but not quite a .08. Bottom line, the insurance company (State Farm once again) tried to screw over my nephew on paying the fair amount on his car because HE was drinking and was hit by someone that was stumbling around and could barely pass a FST!!! After about two months of going back and forth he finally got the amount they owed.

2Driver
05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
We find it lot easier to just ice down the Snapples, Diet Cokes and water and save the booze for when we are "put" for the evening. I dont even want pickle heads riding in my boat as passengers. I won't put up with the drama or baby sitting duties.
Sorry about your friend and I hear Gila Co slammer is a muther.:eek:

Magic34
05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry about your friend and I hear Gila Co slammer is a muther.:eek:
I am guessing HIV and Tweaker Central at either location.

No Name
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
My genius friend got pulled over on a PWC this weekend. He was in a small cove and a friend of his jumped on the back, with no life jacket, to get a ride over to another boat. The Sheriff just happened to see this and ran over there and stopped him. He ended up blowing a 1.92:jawdrop: :D and got taken to the station where we picked him up later.
He ended up getting something like a OUI extreme, passenger without life jacket, reckless driving, and two more things.
What is this going to cost him? What will happen? I was ready to strangle him and leave him in the cooler so whatever happens he deserves it.
Your friend is screwed!
You never know where they are but they’re always watching.
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/18/photos/bt-binoc.jpg

Xlration Marine
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Holly Smoke! The cost of getting drunk and stupid sho did go up. What about the insurance company, SR22 for a while or what?? If so thats another 5-6k for that.OUCHY.

Boatcop
05-29-2007, 04:07 PM
boatcop,
quick question...I don't drink enough to go over the .08% (1 beer maybe every two hours, and I way 255lbs), but the arizona law states .08% as the OUI.
So is it legal to have ONE beer as you are driving down the river, or say at parker...what about driving up to the dam, and then shutting off the motor and having a beer on the float down?
There is no law preventing a person from drinking a beer while driving a boat. At least not in AZ, NV or CA. But it gives rise to reasonable suspicion that the person might be impaired, and grants us the ability to stop them and do the whole FST dog and pony show.
The life vest thing brings up a question I've been wondering about. Is there a seperate law for PWCs that require the life vest to be worn? Or is it just required that you have one for each person some where on the boat?
The laws of all area states (AZ, CA, NV) required that a person operating or riding on a PWC be wearing a USCG Approved personal flotation device. And by wearing, it means all buckles and zippers fastened. We're not going to bother someone just drifting down the River, kicking back, getting a tan, but if it's under power, it better be on, and on correctly.
We're required to document whether there was any alcohol on the boat, or if any was consumed by operators or passengers. But that fact alone, doesn't give rise to whether alcohol was a factor or a cause of the accident. The entire investigation will determine that.
We ask any driver of a boat involved in any accident to take a breath test. This is for the protection of non-drinking operators, or those who may have just had 1 or 2 and have a low BAC. That way, it can't be claimed later on that the "other guy" was drunk. There's no violation if the driver doesn't comply, however we note that in the report. Now if there's other indicators that they're impaired, and probable cause to arrest, we can compel them to give a breath or blood sample, even getting a search warrant if we have to.
Your friend is screwed!
You never know where they are but they’re always watching.
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/18/photos/bt-binoc.jpg
Who cares if that guy's watching. The Coast Guard Auxiliary has no enforcement powers or authority.
Just leave the booze till the boat is done for the day, and there'll be no problems.

roostwear
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
We're required to document whether there was any alcohol on the boat, or if any was consumed by operators or passengers. But that fact alone, doesn't give rise to whether alcohol was a factor or a cause of the accident. The entire investigation will determine that.
Ok, let me be more specific. The statistics many agencies like to use is that XX% of accidents are alcohol related. When an accident is reported and notes that alcohol was present (whether or not it was a factor), is it statistically part of the "alcohol related" figure in Arizona? It is in Calif and is misleading. Hypothetically, if a boater is hit by a PWC (regardless of fault), and beer is found on board with the drivers not having consumed ANY alcohol, is it still an "alcohol related" incident in AZ?

No Name
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Who cares if that guy's watching. The Coast Guard Auxiliary has no enforcement powers or authority.
The picture was just an example. But I do see them all the time at the local lakes with binoculars. They’re like vulchers waiting for someone to screw up.

Boatcop
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Ok, let me be more specific. The statistics many agencies like to use is that XX% of accidents are alcohol related. When an accident is reported and notes that alcohol was present (whether or not it was a factor), is it statistically part of the "alcohol related" figure in Arizona? It is in Calif and is misleading. Hypothetically, if a boater is hit by a PWC (regardless of fault), and beer is found on board with the drivers not having consumed ANY alcohol, is it still an "alcohol related" incident in AZ?
Short answer......
No.
The alcohol has to have affected the person involved in the accident.
For example.
A sober driver has a drunk passenger. The passenger reaches over and grabs the steering wheel, throttle, whatever, causing the boat or car to veer into the rocks, cliff, etc. (Don't scoff. It happens more than you realize)
Alcohol would be reported as being involved in or causing that accident.
Example 2.
Sober driver coming back from the liquor store with an 24 pack on the back seat, or taking an ice chest full of beer from the Marina to the campsite, takes his eyes off the road to play with the stereo plows into a bus or pontoon boat full of nuns.
Alcohol was on board, but played absolutely no part in the accident, so shouldn't be reported as "alcohol involved".
Alcohol has no effect on people until they put it in their body.

roostwear
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Understandable and very good examples... thanks. Good to know the figures aren't skewed in AZ

squirt'nmyload
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
The picture was just an example. But I do see them all the time at the local lakes with binoculars. They’re like vulchers waiting for someone to screw up.
the ones that were there sunday were lookin at DA the whole time:D :D

Jordy
05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
the ones that were there sunday were lookin at DA the whole time:D :D
Yeah, they were too busy looking at something to answer the radio when we were hailing them... jackasses. :notam:

squirt'nmyload
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, they were too busy looking at something to answer the radio when we were hailing them... jackasses. :notam:
exactly. when we cruised by aj asked wtf and they said they were not monitoring the channel

Jordy
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
exactly. when we cruised by aj asked wtf and they said they were not monitoring the channel
Wow, that's great to know that if you need assistance on the water that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office doesn't monitor ship to shore frequencies in a place that cell phones don't work. Nice. :notam:

squirt'nmyload
05-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow, that's great to know that if you need assistance on the water that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office doesn't monitor ship to shore frequencies in a place that cell phones don't work. Nice. :notam:
unbelievable huh..................and how bout the lady on monday that blew a .228 at the dui checkpoint

Boatcop
05-29-2007, 07:53 PM
unbelievable huh..................and how bout the lady on monday that blew a .228 at the dui checkpoint
We keep stats for each day on Holiday weekends for DUIs as part of the Western Arizona DUI Task Force.
Out of the 10 DUIs and OUIs we had in Parker on Saturday night, the AVERAGE BAC was .222%. :eek:

squirt'nmyload
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
We keep stats for each day on Holiday weekends for DUIs as part of the Western Arizona DUI Task Force.
Out of the 10 DUIs and OUIs we had in Parker on Saturday night, the AVERAGE BAC was .222%. :eek:
oh my......i heard on the news that when they got this woman out of her car that she started to get sick and they had to get the paramedics. make you wonder wtf some people are thinking or not thinking in this case:D

shueman
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
boatcop,
Pretty simple really.....DON'T DRINK & DRIVE....why look to cut corners...??
:devil: