PDA

View Full Version : Headers - 496 HO

reDECKulous
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Anyone have headers installed on their 496HO? Are they worth it? My boat is in Havasu and would like to have it done locally. Any idea how much $ I'm in for? Any hook ups?
Thanx
Eric

Cole'd Beer
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I can get you the conversion and do it for you i do them all the time and im in havasu. i also have a set for sale but not all the conversion parts. oh and my personal opinion is yes they are worth it everybody that i have done them for loves them. CMI says they add up too 60 horsepower.

reDECKulous
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Shoot me an email or PM and let me know the details.
Eric
ercart9@aol.com

Hotcobra270
05-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Can you pm me a number? I have some questions as I'm trying to know exactly what I can expect out of a set of these for my 27 footer..
thanks

Not So Fast
05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
At least 8-10 mph ;) J/K See other post on headers<<<<<< NSF

undertaker
05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Had Dana 's exhaust installed on my Donzi 22 classic...about 3-4 mph increase and 1-2 pitch increase in prop size, they look and sound sweet. Here are some pics....FYI my engine room is small in size so the advertised 2-3 hr install was more like 5-6 hrs because it is damn tight in there, also if you have quick & quiet they do not match up like advertised (at least mine did not) so I had to eliminate the q&q...Good luck

Beer-30
05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Can you pm me a number? I have some questions as I'm trying to know exactly what I can expect out of a set of these for my 27 footer..
thanks
Nobody can really say EXACTLY what each boat will gain. Everyone is loaded differently, from one 270 to the next. Minor hull diffs, slightly diff X-dimension, driving traits, and props are all "a little" different from the next guy.
3-4 mph has been the norm and could pretty truely be expected of a "mid-sized" cruiser like your 270. Now, on a little 22' cat, like Dana tested on, the mph gain will be higher. It is lighter and a cat. The more speed, each mph, means more air entrapment. I don't doubt that they get more gain on those boats.
The heavier the boat, the less, little by little, you will gain.
When I get around to putting mine on, I will expect 2-3 mph. Anything over that will be gravy, in my book. I don't like to set myself up for disappointment.

Not So Fast
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Nobody can really say EXACTLY what each boat will gain. Everyone is loaded differently, from one 270 to the next. Minor hull diffs, slightly diff X-dimension, driving traits, and props are all "a little" different from the next guy.
3-4 mph has been the norm and could pretty truely be expected of a "mid-sized" cruiser like your 270. Now, on a little 22' cat, like Dana tested on, the mph gain will be higher. It is lighter and a cat. The more speed, each mph, means more air entrapment. I don't doubt that they get more gain on those boats.
The heavier the boat, the less, little by little, you will gain.
When I get around to putting mine on, I will expect 2-3 mph. Anything over that will be gravy, in my book. I don't like to set myself up for disappointment.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

scotco
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Anyone have headers installed on their 496HO? Are they worth it? My boat is in Havasu and would like to have it done locally. Any idea how much $ I'm in for? Any hook ups?
Thanx
Eric
I don’t mean to hijack this thread I just have a quick question. I also have a 496HO and I was wondering what the difference is between the CMI headers and Lightning headers? Is one better than the other or are they about the same? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

carnage
05-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I put the EMI on myself. Took about 5 hours and hurt my legs. But looks really good.
Only gained about 100 rpm at top end maybe a bit better response in the mid-range. But I did it mostly for looks. I also put a chrome kit on from F&M custom couwling

carnage
05-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Where did you get the chrome Oil Filter
Looks real GOOD!!!!

ULTRA26 # 1
05-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I don’t mean to hijack this thread I just have a quick question. I also have a 496HO and I was wondering what the difference is between the CMI headers and Lighting headers? Is one better than the other or are they about the same? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
CMI's and Lightning's can be very similar, depending on which Lightning header you choose. The less expensive Lightnings are not 100% stainless steel.
The all stainless Lightning are a few hundred less than CMI's. CMI's and Lightnings are both built well. I don't believe that Lightning makes a relocation kit for the accessories that need to be moved. This would require installer fabrication and/or alteration of parts.
I installed the CMI kit, on my HO, and it was not few hour deal. However, I couldn't be more pleased with the end result.
Dana's new system is said to perform similarly to CMI's, the cost is less and they are much much easier to install. When I bought my CMI's the Dana system was out yet.
John M

undertaker
05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Where did you get the chrome Oil Filter
Looks real GOOD!!!!
Summit Racing....only 4.99 for all that bling..:D :D :D

ULTRA26 # 1
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Summit Racing....only 4.99 for all that bling..:D :D :D
I think I will to have get one of those chrome oil filter covers myself.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31943&stc=1&d=1180557681
John M

Matt99DECH
05-31-2007, 05:06 AM
is there ANYWAY to rig up the factor CORSA Q&Q up to the Dana exhaust? I havent been paying attention to any of the threads but I assume there is likely a backlog of orders? I need to let my Raylar kit breathe!

havasu522
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Had the CMI "s put on when they did my build so can't tell if it improved but it sure did't hurt . Forget launching at the marina you will NOT pass the noise test I hit 88 1/2 they said to loud and made me pull out and go to Windsor I don't understand this noise issue :confused:

Dana Marine Products
05-31-2007, 06:14 AM
In our initial development of the 496 exhaust system we received some bad information in regards to the dimensions of a Corsa Q & Q system. The results were our tail pipes were roughly 1.5" too long. Undertakers boat was the first attempted install for a Corsa system. We have since made an adjustment to the length of our riser.
Our tailpipe will now fit the Corsa, or any other silent choice type system.
In regards to our backlog on the exhaust system, we are getting that into shape pretty fast. I'm still urging anyone who is interested to place orders ASAP. The problem is, although we are shipping systems daily, we're also selling systems daily. We are shipping a significant number of systems, but the line is pretty stable.

undertaker
05-31-2007, 06:15 AM
is there ANYWAY to rig up the factor CORSA Q&Q up to the Dana exhaust? I havent been paying attention to any of the threads but I assume there is likely a backlog of orders? I need to let my Raylar kit breathe!
The Dana exhaust did NOT match up with my Q&Q like advertised. I had to eliminate the Q&Q......
In order for my exhaust to match up with the Q&Q I needed to have the riser cut shorter, which Dana said could possibly lead to water reversion, so I just eliminated it because I never use it and it is illegal in some of the areas I boat in...:D
No bashing Dana BUT if you have Q&Q and want to keep it ask Dana about YOUR install before purchasing exhaust...

shippingguy
05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Had the CMI "s put on when they did my build so can't tell if it improved but it sure did't hurt . Forget launching at the marina you will NOT pass the noise test I hit 88 1/2 they said to loud and made me pull out and go to Windsor I don't understand this noise issue :confused:
You can pass. Just leave the straps on the back of the boat on the trailer and bury the transom so the tips are under water. I have a Teague 800 in my boat and did that and passed at 85. I have launched there three times now with no mufflers and no hassles.
Mike

Dana Marine Products
05-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Undertaker, due to not dealing with you directly on this system (bought through a distributor who did the install), I'm not sure what information has transpired.
FYI - upon learning about the length issue on the riser, we offered, (at no charge) to provide a new shortened riser. Unfortunately, I was told you didn't have 2 days to spare and the install proceeded forward.
The only real concern with reversion would be from a boot mis-alignment causing a water spray or a water dam inside the exhaust stream. As long as everything fits together properly, and the outgoing water is not being disrupted by something, reversion is not an issue.
The new DMP shorter riser is the same length as a Merc riser, so reversion is not a concern. Actually, although our riser is the same length, we introduce the water into the exhaust stream 1" further back than a stock Merc system.

undertaker
05-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Must have posted the same time as Dana.......well there you have it...:D :D

tpmarine.com
05-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Dana makes a great system and for the price they are hard to beat.
We have done a few CMI kits and the gains are acceptable so it typically comes down to price and preference...manifold style or header style. Both systems work well. :)

THOR
05-31-2007, 06:40 AM
I think I will to have get one of those chrome oil filter covers myself.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31943&stc=1&d=1180557681
John M
Are those Lightning headers?

undertaker
05-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Undertaker, due to not dealing with you directly on this system (bought through a distributor who did the install), I'm not sure what information has transpired.
FYI - upon learning about the length issue on the riser, we offered, (at no charge) to provide a new shortened riser. Unfortunately, I was told you didn't have 2 days to spare and the install proceeded forward.
The only real concern with reversion would be from a boot mis-alignment causing a water spray or a water dam inside the exhaust stream. As long as everything fits together properly, and the outgoing water is not being disrupted by something, reversion is not an issue.
The new DMP shorter riser is the same length as a Merc riser, so reversion is not a concern. Actually, although our riser is the same length, we introduce the water into the exhaust stream 1" further back than a stock Merc system.
Dana I do not have any issues with eliminating my Q&Q, I knew you offered to send new shorter risers, like I said before I never use my Q&Q so even though it was a option on my boat that I paid for I decided to trash it...although I still have everything in a box so I can always put back on if I ever sell the boat.... I just wanted to let everyone know that when MY exhuast was installed there was an issue with the Q&Q.... glad to see you have resolved the Q&Q issue..
Undertaker

undertaker
05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Are those Lightning headers?
CMI"S:D :D

brad22
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
CMI's and Lightning's can be very similar, depending on which Lightning header you choose. The less expensive Lightnings are not 100% stainless steel.
The all stainless Lightning are a few hundred less than CMI's. CMI's and Lightnings are both built well. I don't believe that Lightning makes a relocation kit for the accessories that need to be moved. This would require installer fabrication and/or alteration of parts.
I installed the CMI kit, on my HO, and it was not few hour deal. However, I couldn't be more pleased with the end result.
Dana's new system is said to perform similarly to CMI's, the cost is less and they are much much easier to install. When I bought my CMI's the Dana system was out yet.
John M
If you are running in fresh water the standard jacketed Lightning system would be just fine, there really is no need to spend the extra money to get the all stainless version. Lighting DOES include the brackets to relocate your accessories for the 496 when you install their headers. CMI requires you to modify your engine cover, Lightning does not require any modification to the engine cover. ANY header or performance manifold like Dana and Stainless Marine would help the motor breath better, but like stated before: Every boat is different and It is tough to know exactly if you are going to gain any MPH or not.
Regardless of what system you go with I can always shoot you my best price for a system. Includiing Lightning, Dana Marine, Stainless Marine, Hardin Marine. :)
Brad
CP Performance
800-225-9871 x11
added: One of the most important features that seperates Lightning from CMI is that Lightning uses ALL ONE PEICE MANDREL bent Inner tubes eliminating welds like the CMI's have been popular for.

ULTRA26 # 1
05-31-2007, 07:53 AM
If you are running in fresh water the standard jacketed Lightning system would be just fine, there really is no need to spend the extra money to get the all stainless version. Lighting DOES include the brackets to relocate your accessories for the 496 when you install their headers. CMI requires you to modify your engine cover, Lightning does not require any modification to the engine cover. ANY header or performance manifold like Dana and Stainless Marine would help the motor breath better, but like stated before: Every boat is different and It is tough to know exactly if you are going to gain any MPH or not.
Regardless of what system you go with I can always shoot you my best price for a system. Includiing Lightning, Dana Marine, Stainless Marine, Hardin Marine. :)
Brad
CP Performance
Brad,
I wasn't aware that Lightning was now offering relocation brackets with their 496 exhaust. I stand corrected.
John M
PS Not sure what welds CMI is so famous for?? If this is in someway a critique of the CMI products, I beleive that everyone here deserves the facts in this regard. IMO, the fact that Merc Marine installs CMI's on their racing engines, says a great deal about the quality of CMI products. But what do I know, I don't sell boat parts, I just buy them.
Thanks

brad22
05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
I Definitely should not have said "popular". Being in the marine parts business I get some customers who have had CMI's that have had welds crack on the inner tube. CMI makes a GREAT header and I'm sure Mercruiser wouldn't put them on their racing engines if they didn't have confidence in them.
Now I stand corrected John M :D
Brad
Brad,
I wasn't aware that Lightning was now offering relocation brackets with their 496 exhaust. I stand corrected.
John M
PS Not sure what welds CMI is so famous for?? If this is in someway a critique of the CMI products, I beleive that everyone here deserves the facts in this regard. IMO, the fact that Merc Marine installs CMI's on their racing engines, says a great deal about the quality of CMI products. But what do I know, I don't sell boat parts, I just buy them.
Thanks