PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Polished Aluminum???

SANGER-RICH
12-20-2005, 07:10 PM
What would you use to do a quick clean up of valve covers and intake with out taking them off and doing the major polish????

GUGS102
12-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Mothers polish, comes in a little tub (2.5") works like a charm, no heavy pushing needed, I just finished the valve covers on the car 15 minutes ago.
Gugs

Moneypitt
12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Magic..........

steelcomp
12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I've learned to like NeverDull, but it takes a little technique. Used to use Mother's, but not anymore. Use the blue Scott shop towels...they work best.

ACCEPTENCE
12-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Polishing sucks!!!
Send the stuff out to the polisher, that's what he's there for :D

Sangster
12-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Send the stuff out to the polisher, that's what he's there for
And with far better results....

Kim Hanson
12-20-2005, 09:12 PM
I've learned to like NeverDull, but it takes a little technique. Used to use Mother's, but not anymore. Use the blue Scott shop towels...they work best.
I use NeverDull also.........( . )( . ).......it works great :cool:

FASTRAT
12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
What would you use to do a quick clean up of valve covers and intake with out taking them off and doing the major polish????
i use Windex & Scott blue shop towels...works great...remember...u said "quick" clean-up
fastrat

SGettmann
12-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Has anyone ever tried mothers and a high speed polisher? I have my polished aluminum Turbo 400 Tranny sitting in my living room next to my Christmas tree. I used the hand polish, but want better results. I live in Northern Idaho, so finding a polisher is not around the corner (although I did find a powerdercoat place that does a great job). Any thoughts on the high speed polisher and a can of Mothers?

126driver
12-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Wenol. That's some good shiznit.

Hallett
12-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Wenol. That's some good shiznit.
wenol red tube, then blue tube like 126 driver said works great.

Highlimit9000
12-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Flitz metal polish is the best in my opinion...

meaniam
12-21-2005, 09:56 AM
when i touch up my aluminum. i use mothers and steel wool. do it for a bit, then go back in and do it agian. but this time take it off with a rag

AzMandella
12-21-2005, 01:00 PM
When it comes to quick detailing I use a solution of Simple Green and water(50-50).It works great at removing oil residue from blowby and any other oil leaks and then to polish two part Wenol.

scottwizer
12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
I tend to like Wicked metal polish.... the alumag chrome works great for stuff that is very tarnished. I used to use Blue Magic... but I nearly wore my are off. Anyway here is the link Wicked Metal Polish (http://wickedproducts.com/wickedshop/scripts/)

Cas
12-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Flitz metal polish is the best in my opinion...
ditto!

Hud
12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp This is what the Truckers use..........C'mon!

SANGER-RICH
12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
OK here is my problem. When I painted my boat the motor was in the garage with it, I sprayed PPG CLV single stage. The motor was baged but I guess not enough. I have a thin film of overspray on the tunnelram and valve covers, this stuff sticks to everything, including my floor. Any ideas now??????????? :220v:

Fiat48
12-21-2005, 06:55 PM
All I can think of is Lacquer thinner. But get other opinions first.

77charger
12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
If all else fails go laquer thinner. you will just have to polish it again by hand but it will be really clean :rollside:

finaleffort
12-22-2005, 06:40 AM
thinner would be the quicker. thats what i always use. then for polishing i use extreme metal polish. it looks like pink cotton candy. the best stuff i have ever used. will never go back to never dull or mothers again. it takes half the time and looks better.

77charger
12-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I have used the extreme polish.mothers.blue magic,simi chrome.They all work great but the best i have used to date is heavy metal polish they have 3 different compounds
red-coarse compound
green- for heavy oxidized alm,stainless,chrome
blue- for billet,fine polishing high shine.
the thing i like about this stuff it goes on easily and comes very easy,very liquidy and protects good.Also smells like candy.
go to http://www.heavymetalpolish.com

Snowboat
12-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Use the children, worst case, make a trade with the better half.

blown428fe
12-22-2005, 05:36 PM
OK here is my problem. When I painted my boat the motor was in the garage with it, I sprayed PPG CLV single stage. The motor was baged but I guess not enough. I have a thin film of overspray on the tunnelram and valve covers, this stuff sticks to everything, including my floor. Any ideas now??????????? :220v:
ACITONE WILL CLEAN DRIED OVERSPRAY EASY AND SHOULDNT HARM ANY THING.

blown428fe
12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
I ALSO USE MOTHERS POLISH AND BEFORE I GO OUT ILL WIPE IT DOWN WITH BRAKECLEAN ON A RAG.

SANGER-RICH
12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
And with far better results....
Who do you suggest?? I still need some other stuff polished and well.

Sangster
12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I send my stuff up to Walker's Chrome & Polish in Redding...But there are a few in Concord...Check the yellow pages....

mirrorimage
12-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Has anyone ever tried mothers and a high speed polisher? I have my polished aluminum Turbo 400 Tranny sitting in my living room next to my Christmas tree. I used the hand polish, but want better results. I live in Northern Idaho, so finding a polisher is not around the corner (although I did find a powerdercoat place that does a great job). Any thoughts on the high speed polisher and a can of Mothers?
Well i can tell ya guys from expierence that mothers and all the other hand cleaning soultions work very well in a quick cleanup situation... on the other hand when it comes to heavy polishing ...like trannys and raw material and anything with heavy water spots that jewelers rouge works the best ... heavy scratches and raw material= black rouge, brown is for lighter scratches and metal that has been polished but is very dull ...mainly from the elements ...green frist final ..and white for last final[ mainly used with a flannel pad ...very soft and flexible... the buffer that i use is a makita vairable speed up to 3500 rpm... some like to use faster and slower grinders also ...to answer the question its easier to sand trannys frist with 220, 300, 400, 600 and if ya really want to 1000 grit at the end thats cool also ... the work sucks and ya get really dirty ..but its all worth it in the end ... ive been polishing for 10 yrs and i learn something new everyday .. its all good ...if ya have any more questions ill try to help and pass the knowledge along.. its a lot of trial and ...... im usually in the just jets but im looking for my next project ...

SGettmann
12-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Well i can tell ya guys from expierence that mothers and all the other hand cleaning soultions work very well in a quick cleanup situation... on the other hand when it comes to heavy polishing ...like trannys and raw material and anything with heavy water spots that jewelers rouge works the best ... heavy scratches and raw material= black rouge, brown is for lighter scratches and metal that has been polished but is very dull ...mainly from the elements ...green frist final ..and white for last final[ mainly used with a flannel pad ...very soft and flexible... the buffer that i use is a makita vairable speed up to 3500 rpm... some like to use faster and slower grinders also ...to answer the question its easier to sand trannys frist with 220, 300, 400, 600 and if ya really want to 1000 grit at the end thats cool also ... the work sucks and ya get really dirty ..but its all worth it in the end ... ive been polishing for 10 yrs and i learn something new everyday .. its all good ...if ya have any more questions ill try to help and pass the knowledge along.. its a lot of trial and ...... im usually in the just jets but im looking for my next project ...
MirrorImage - thanks for the sanding suggestion. I'm hanging out with my dad over Christmas break and we both agreed that this is sounding like a good idea. I'll try it on my tranny bell housing and then try on my Gentry Turbo hardware. I did hit Sears earlier this week and buy the polishing wheels with the rouge for the Craftsman die grinder that I have. I'll give that a try.
Thanks again for the suggestion. The holidays and down time is time spend brain storming on how I can fix up my boat. Dad's in town and the brain storming is flying.

mirrorimage
12-26-2005, 09:44 PM
cool glad i could help ... one thing about die grinders ... start off with with a flapper wheel probably like 100 grit or 220 .. dont be afraid to use it up ...i mean all the flapper wheel . be careful that you dont overspeed the the felt bobs when you polish they exploed ... there usually marked on the max speed somewhere . ive had a few do that and ive dug the shaft into the metal and had to start over ..it sucks .but have fun your gonna go through a lot of material and bobbs and sandpaper ..there are a few websites to look at ....... www.caswellplating.com and www.tarheelproducts.com ... if the links are not working just pm me ill help ya out till then seeya :p

DaveA
12-26-2005, 10:15 PM
cool glad i could help ... one thing about die grinders ... start off with with a flapper wheel probably like 100 grit or 220 .. dont be afraid to use it up ...i mean all the flapper wheel . be careful that you dont overspeed the the felt bobs when you polish they exploed ... there usually marked on the max speed somewhere . ive had a few do that and ive dug the shaft into the metal and had to start over ..it sucks .but have fun your gonna go through a lot of material and bobbs and sandpaper ..there are a few websites to look at ....... www.caswellplating.com and www.tarheelproducts.com ... if the links are not working just pm me ill help ya out till then seeya :p
I buy from Skip at Tarheel- great guy- and he's just 45 min away from me. We use the 4hp Porter Cable high speed handheld buffers. That monster will kill you- but it gets the job done on the wheels we do. We start with sandpaper- 80-120 then to 220 and finish with 320. Then tripoli with a sewn spiral buff (or sandwich two together depending on the work) and then finish with a loose buff and white compound. Skip has a 'super white' that I've not tried yet that's supposed to be even finer. He does sell whiting that is great for cleaning up the black oxidation and works a bit better than the cornstarch or baking flour, without scratching. ZoopSeal is the trick for keeping the finish bright.

mirrorimage
12-27-2005, 09:03 PM
wow ill have to give him a call ...sweet