PDA

View Full Version : 496 Mag tech question

Dribble
05-29-2007, 03:47 PM
After three seasons and about 100 hrs, I decided to change my water pump impeller. No big deal having done it on my other boats. I get the pump back on and run the hose through the earmuffs and no water pickup. Took the pump back off and took it apart. No problems. The impeller is fine. Put it back together and nothing. No water. The boat has closed cooling and I made sure I bled the air pressure from the bleed system. I disconnect the two hoses from the back of the pump and run it and there is no fresh water comming in.
In a word. HELP.

epeagle
05-29-2007, 03:52 PM
did you tape the low water pickup closed?

Beer-30
05-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Reverse the hoses on the inlet/outlet?

DMOORE
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I hate to say, but it may have self destructed. I changed an impeller on one of my motors last fall, and it desintigrated when I fired it up. No reason for it, I have changed dozens in the past and never a problem. I installed a new one and cleared all the debris, and it worked perfectly. It was just a bad part.I always use some lite grease when installing new ones. BTW mine did the exact same thing as your's is doing. NO flow at all.
Darrell.

ToMorrow44
05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah I agree with taping the low water pickup closed if you have a dual water pickup on the drive. Otherwise water will just flow into the side pickups and out the low pickup. Also make sure that there is enough water pressure coming from that hose. On one boat, I had to disconnect the hose from the reel and put it right on the spout in order for it to have enough pressure to force itself up into the motor. I'm still not sure why that happened but hey it worked. If you have no water flowing in at all through the hoses then it couldn't be that you have the hoses reversed but make sure when you put the pump on that the hoses are on correctly. Use a lot of blue marine greese on the impeller when you put it in the housing that way if it doesn't suck up water right away it won't destroy itself. Let us know how it goes.
-Tom

Dribble
05-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks. I'll try taping the low water pickup. I never did that before but it makes sense.

Not So Fast
05-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Quick check is put it in the water if you are close to a lake. Mine will not run on a hose with either motor, new one and old one, gets warm right off. First time after reading codes it said low block water pressure with brand new impeller and went into guardian mode. Took it to the lake and just fine so maybe that tape thing would work if you cant put it in the water. NSF