PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to break 100 mph with a jet?

Slowboy
05-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I just picked up my first REAL boat. It is a 19 foot mako powered by a small block chevy. It has a dominator pump model 12s, I dont know what impeller is inside. The pump has a droop snoot and a place diverter, otherwise I know nothing. I assembled a 327 for it, as I purchased it without an engine. I pretty much built it with junk laying around from old drag racing parts. I figure the engine makes around 375-400 hp with out nitrous and on pump gas. This engine will not stay in the boat, just built it to get it going for the summer.
If I throw my 950 hp. 355 ci small block out of my drag car in this boat, is it possible to hit anywhere near 100 mph with this hull design and pump?
Thanks, Ryan

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
I just picked up my first REAL boat. It is a 19 foot mako powered by a small block chevy. It has a dominator pump model 12s, I dont know what impeller is inside. The pump has a droop snoot and a place diverter, otherwise I know nothing. I assembled a 327 for it, as I purchased it without an engine. I pretty much built it with junk laying around from old drag racing parts. I figure the engine makes around 375-400 hp with out nitrous and on pump gas. This engine will not stay in the boat, just built it to get it going for the summer.
If I throw my 950 hp. 355 ci small block out of my drag car in this boat, is it possible to hit anywhere near 100 mph with this hull design and pump?
Thanks, Ryan
What RPM does your 355 make power at?

vee-driven
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
throw it on ebay and it'll do 110mph.

Slowboy
05-29-2007, 06:44 PM
The enging makes it peak power around 7500 rpm right now. I can change camshafts and play with cam timing to get the power curve where I want it if needed. I could probably get my peak power around 6000 rpm if needed.
Ryan

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 06:46 PM
The enging makes it peak power around 7500 rpm right now. I can change camshafts and play with cam timing to get the power curve where I want it if needed. I could probably get my peak power around 6000 rpm if needed.
Ryan
Good luck lol....:devil:

bruleracer
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Ryan
955, thatsa pretty stout small block, does it use the splayed valve or 15
degree cylinder heads?

QuickJet
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Ryan
I hope you have a lot of this
http://mud.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/1967992410

Slowboy
05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
IT has brodix 12 degree heads, 1050 dominator, 6 1/8 rods, blah blah... Im not here to debate power of an engine just to ask what it takes to go fast on water. Sounds like maybe time to buy a v drive?? How do guys on here go fast, or is everybody happy losing to bass boats?
Ryan

probablecause
05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
throw it on ebay and it'll do 110mph.
That was funny. Yeah, with a motor with less than 10 hours on it but oil changed every 15 hours.

Ken F
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Ryan,
You are getting a lot of smartass answers here to a serious question. lol
Your big engine will probably never see 6K in a boat. The easiest way to explain it is that it's like having your engine hooked to a water dyno all the time. Car engines just don't work in a boat. You would need to re-cam it for max HP/TQ around the 6-6500 area, and use a really small impeller like a C. ??
I'm not familiar with a Mako, but before attempting to go that fast in a boat, I would definatly do some research on your hull. I'm thinking it's probably maxed out around the 60-70 mph mark.
IF you really have a burning desire to go that fast, I'd look around and try and find yourself a tunnel hull, or if you don't mind a v-drive, maybe a flatbottom hull.
Hope this helps,
Ken f

Duane HTP
05-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Slowboy
Posts: 3 The enging makes it peak power around 7500 rpm right now. I can change camshafts and play with cam timing to get the power curve where I want it if needed. I could probably get my peak power around 6000 rpm if needed.
Ryan
Probably will never happen. You will need a lot more cubic inches to reach your goal. Cubic inch is the name of the game here.

bruleracer
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks, Ryan
950hp is a really stout small block, does it use splayed valve or 15 degree
cyl heads?

Slowboy
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I dont really know that I NEED to go 100 mph. There are a couple bass boats around here that do mid 70's and loosing to them when they are out fishing really sucks. Right now my boat tops out around 64 mph with out nitrous on my hand held gps. I was just wondering what some real power would do to a boat like mine.
Thanks, Ryan

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Probably will never happen. You will need a lot more cubic inches to reach your goal. Cubic inch is the name of the game here.
This guy know what he's talkin bout! I've never seen a small block be that successful in a jet boat.. I know they're out there... but big block is the only way to go

BOOGEYMAN
05-29-2007, 07:32 PM
950hp is a really stout small block, does it use splayed valve or 15 degree
cyl heads?
Look at post #8.......

plj/fry
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
;) slowboy you might want to look at the pic to the left in bruleracers post he might know a thing or two about what your asking.:jawdrop:

zudnic
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
This guy know what he's talkin bout! I've never seen a small block be that successful in a jet boat.. I know they're out there... but big block is the only way to go
Cant find all the info for specs my SBC 350 is putting out around 320hp and I'm touching 64 mph almost empty gas, with just me in the boat. My goal is 70mph and I'm thinking spec wise over the winter something like this to get it up there.
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/DynoSheets/XR300HR-10_001.asp

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 09:21 PM
You guys ever think that Maybe Slow boy is just anothe v-drive gay? His name is SLOWBOY, and he has a jet, and his small block makes 950hp on only 355 c.i.... smells like something fishy... or maybe slowboy is real and he isn't a v-drive or outboard fag trying to demeanor jet boats... I dunno just a thought :devil: :devil:

QuickJet
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
You guys ever think that Maybe Slow boy is just anothe v-drive gay? His name is SLOWBOY, and he has a jet, and his small block makes 950hp on only 355 c.i.... smells like something fishy... or maybe slowboy is real and he isn't a v-drive or outboard fag trying to demeanor jet boats... I dunno just a thought :devil: :devil:
I think you are onto something..........
These guys are on it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/csiforum/David%20Caruso/CSI%20Miami%20Groups/ba056d2c.jpg

vee-driven
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
the only chance you will have to reach a 100 mph with a jet is in a boat like a daytona or a CP.

RCB19
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
the only chance you will have to reach a 100 mph with a jet is in a boat like a daytona or a CP.
Really?

vee-driven
05-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Really?
maybe i should have said, the easiest way to get to 100mph with a jet would be a daytona or a cp, or any tunnel style boat.

centerhill condor
05-30-2007, 04:38 AM
be prepared to upgrade the impeller...depending on the torque/power curve you'll rip apart an aluminum impeller.

Slowboy
05-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Seems pretty easy to get torn apart on here for just asking a simple question. I am completly happy with my boat and am very glad I purchased it and use it alot. I was just trying to figure out what some of the faster jet boats do to go faster than the usual 60-70.
Seems like out of around 20 posts, there were about 2 solid answers. Seems like many of you dont think it is possible to make almost 3 hp a CI. Obviously you are stuck in 1970.
Like I said, the 355 is in my drag car, and I really dont want to dismantle it for the summer when my boat runs just fine. I just wanted to know If it was possible to go really fast or not.
SORRY I ASKED!:confused:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Seems pretty easy to get torn apart on here for just asking a simple question. I am completly happy with my boat and am very glad I purchased it and use it alot. I was just trying to figure out what some of the faster jet boats do to go faster than the usual 60-70.
Seems like out of around 20 posts, there were about 2 solid answers. Seems like many of you dont think it is possible to make almost 3 hp a CI. Obviously you are stuck in 1970.
Like I said, the 355 is in my drag car, and I really dont want to dismantle it for the summer when my boat runs just fine. I just wanted to know If it was possible to go really fast or not.
Please dont be ran off by some of the jokesters in here. They have a tendancy to put clown suits on from time to tim. I have done the same so Im not saying that Im an angel.
Can you please post pics of your hull. This will help us determine wether or not if your hull will handle 100mph. We want you to run fast but in a safe way.I had a 1987 Kachina and you could feel it chine walk at 85mph. There are several guys in here that have ran 100mph in a v bottom hull BUT I would not recommend it! Usually 80mph will shut all the lawnmower men up(aka bass boats). There are some canadians in here that run 100mph with aluminum hull in here. The 100mph mark is one hell of a goal. I am shooting for 100mph in my new hull next month. I have a stout motor and some serious pump mods. Good luck with your goal but please be safe and wear a life vest when doing so!
Welcome to the boards;)
Spitter

Statue
05-30-2007, 05:41 AM
100 mph should be easy to reach. (on the trailer behind your truck)

Xerophobic
05-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Aluminum, aluminum, aluminum
the hull that is, not the motor
Cheers

Bow Tie Omega
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
All kidding aside, You have to do the homework on your hull first. A small block doing 100 in a jet boat would be intriguing, but not impossible. Find out as much info on this hull as you can, post pics, talk to people like Old Rigger here on the forums, he has an incredible amount of knowledge on our small boats made here out west. My little brother, Brendella Jet wanted the same thing you want, although he went with big block power instead. He is not running a tunnel or a flat bottom, he has a brendella bubble deck. The real experts have said his combination will do well over 100, give him a pm, he would love to talk about it with you, the project, and let you know what you are in for. As far as your pump, you said you had a dominator I think, people will have alot of opinions, your best bet is to give Jack at MPD a call and get the word from the horses mouth so to speak, He is one of the jet pump guru's here on the left coast. I think he is in Costa Mesa, I could be wrong on that. Even if you do have a compatible hull for high speed you are still looking at doing some work on the bottom of your hull to take out any hook and to true up the bottom. As many have said here before, it is all about the cashola. Get some pics of your hull, post them and get some opinions from people. But talk to Old Rigger, he will let you know if your boat was laid up for high speed, hell, he can probably tell you who worked on your hull and what day it was on too:D Good Luck man

Slowboy
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks, that was all I was asking for. I dont know that I want to go 100.....OK I do, but not for a few years, and maybe not with this hull. My boat is sitting in the lake right now, I have to go to chicago to pick up another jet hull and a v-drive hull later this week and need the trailer to haul them. I will get some pictures posted later next week. I am very new to jet boats, but I am eager to learn and am by no means stupid. Does anybody get into the 80's with jets with out too much trouble? I would like the boat to be able to keep the fisherman mad when they lose, but really dont want a 20,000 dollar engine in my boat right now just to have the HP to push it fast when needed.
Thanks agian

lilrick
05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks, that was all I was asking for. I dont know that I want to go 100.....OK I do, but not for a few years, and maybe not with this hull. My boat is sitting in the lake right now, I have to go to chicago to pick up another jet hull and a v-drive hull later this week and need the trailer to haul them. I will get some pictures posted later next week. I am very new to jet boats, but I am eager to learn and am by no means stupid. Does anybody get into the 80's with jets with out too much trouble? I would like the boat to be able to keep the fisherman mad when they lose, but really dont want a 20,000 dollar engine in my boat right now just to have the HP to push it fast when needed.
Thanks agian
You've mentioned v-drive a few times. Drive one and you will be forever changed. I threw a bunch of money at a jet and had lotsa fun. I don't regret it, but advise people not to do it. Buy a good v-drive and you will attain your goal!!!:D

Slowboy
05-30-2007, 09:29 AM
My dad had a v-drive when I was a kid. I remember having to get out of the boat to bring it to shore because of the possibility of the prop hitting something. I live in northern minnesota and am boating sometimes when it is only 40-50 outside, and on lake superior the water is just above freezing year round. My nuts dont like that very much. I purchased the jet because I thought it would be more practical, I figured I would give up some speed for ease of operation?? Maybe I just dont know enough. I do like the way the jet drives.

Jungle Boy
05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm in a bad mood so bare with me.
Most of you guys are locked in a time zone somewhere in the 70's.
These old hunks of shiete hulls that you guys are trying to go fast in are OLD style and OLD design. It's the same as trying to make a 69 Z-28 go 150 mpa and feel safe while doing it. They are a nice old boat to look at but why waste all your money on a 950 hp (on paper) engine that will suck more cash out of your jeans than buying a good hull. Second, this whole thing about "blue printing" your pump,,, well that's a real good one:eek: :eek: If any of you blueprint believing guys ever seen the abuse our pumps take and still run 100 mph, you'd start to feel rather guilty about the money you take from your customers.
I'm out of this place, cause I can't take the Olds 455 BS any more.
Have fun.

Xerophobic
05-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks agian
With very little trouble, in fact we do it all the time in one of these with a STOCK GM ZZ4 (355 hp)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxtunnelsiderr.JPG
This boat does 81-85 mph with 2 guys and about 35 gals of fuel
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxtunnelrunr.JPG
Alloy boats make great boats in rougher water, durable and light, long lasting. More initial cost but alot of benefits vs old school glass hulls
100 mph with 600 Hp easy
Cheers

Bow Tie Omega
05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
These old hunks of shiete hulls that you guys are trying to go fast in are OLD style and OLD design. It's the same as trying to make a 69 Z-28 go 150 mpa and feel safe while doing it. They are a nice old boat to look at but why waste all your money on a 950 hp (on paper) engine that will suck more cash out of your jeans than buying a good hull. Second, this whole thing about "blue printing" your pump,,, well that's a real good one:eek: :eek: If any of you blueprint believing guys ever seen the abuse our pumps take and still run 100 mph, you'd start to feel rather guilty about the money you take from your customers.
Have fun.
I am also, I just had a root canal, so bare with me........Where in the F do you get off dogging people who enjoy working on their boats and trying to make something out of it. Is this any different than somebody taking a 49 Merc, breaking it down, and rebuilding it peice by piece, dropping it to the weeds and installing a 500 hp big block. How about restoring a 55 chevy. This is hot rodding on the water, plain and simple. If you do not get that, you do not belong here IMO. Yes the almunium hulls are nice, yes they are fast, and the fabrication is beautiful. Hell, I have been talking to the wife about maybe doing one in the next year or two. But some of the hot boaters do not want to spend or do not have $70,000 plus to go and buy a 20 foot boat complete off of the showroom floor. Your statement was probably one of the most ignorant opinions I have heard on this board, in the 5 years I have been a member. The name of this website is Hot Boat, as in Hot Rods on water, not aluminum hull monthly. If you are trying to promote high performance aluminum hulls to all of us, you need to use some tact instead of being a dick. Take some notes from xerophobic, he presents the facts, he is informative and he seems to be a nice guy.

Xerophobic
05-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Hehe when 2 bad moods collide.....
Bow tie Im sure Dave didn't mean to come across in an insulting way, and believe me when I say you will not find a nicer and more enterainting and funny guy to have a few wobbly pops with. Dave was the first guy I 'knew' in aluminum boats and one of the reasons I got hooked and ended up moving out here to chase the dream so to speak. Was pretty thrilled when I ended up renting a place a min up the road from him where I could easily stop in for a brew at "A$$holes Garage" (yes he really has that sign) Not to speak for him but Im sure his mood is largely due to his motor not being done and watching boats pass his house on the river(btw Dave that was me and Alan waving at you on Sat afternoon)
We all are familiar with the "to each his own" theory but in Dave's defense even I admit its very very frustrating to read over and over the "chase for 80 mph" coming from the boards when we routinely see and drive boats that get phenomenal numbers with far less power. I love the look of low freeboard, my first boat was that type. But when people ask about #'s and how to gain big ones we can't help but want to share the thrill we get everytime we get into our aluminum boats. We're as passionate about 'our' boats as you guys are and we wanna share that with you. I think sometimes that gets lost in translation on the net. I guarantee every one of you guys would understand where he/I are coming from in a quick blast up any river in a tin boat. Our differences here are geographical, nothing more.
Anyway hope that helps not hinders, damn we'd all have a blast over a few brews in person but for some reason the net tends to skew that
Cheers

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Have fun.
Thanks, but I'd take the '69 Camaro over any modern junk out there. Those ugly ass aluminum boats have no character and cost way too much. Ugly and slow!!! No bang for the buck.
Yah think this '69 camaro can handle 150 mph????
http://www.racecar2000.com/ad-photos/5692-mod.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Hehe when 2 bad moods collide.....
Bow tie Im sure Dave didn't mean to come across in an insulting way, and believe me when I say you will not find a nicer and more enterainting and funny guy to have a few wobbly pops with. Dave was the first guy I 'knew' in aluminum boats and one of the reasons I got hooked and ended up moving out here to chase the dream so to speak. Was pretty thrilled when I ended up renting a place a min up the road from him where I could easily stop in for a brew at "A$$holes Garage" (yes he really has that sign) Not to speak for him but Im sure his mood is largely due to his motor not being done and watching boats pass his house on the river(btw Dave that was me and Alan waving at you on Sat afternoon)
We all are familiar with the "to each his own" theory but in Dave's defense even I admit its very very frustrating to read over and over the "chase for 80 mph" coming from the boards when we routinely see and drive boats that get phenomenal numbers with far less power. I love the look of low freeboard, my first boat was that type. But when people ask about #'s and how to gain big ones we can't help but want to share the thrill we get everytime we get into our aluminum boats. We're as passionate about 'our' boats as you guys are and we wanna share that with you. I think sometimes that gets lost in translation on the net. I guarantee every one of you guys would understand where he/I are coming from in a quick blast up any river in a tin boat. Our differences here are geographical, nothing more.
Anyway hope that helps not hinders, damn we'd all have a blast over a few brews in person but for some reason the net tends to skew that
Cheers
Dude, I understand and appreciate your position. I respect it as well. Bad mood or not, this is about hot rodding boats, is it not. Logically speaking, your boat is the way to go IMO if you have a large budget and want to go fast. But I look at it this way, Some guys are low riders, some guys like lifted, some guys like new, some guys like classic, some guys like street rods. My point is, just because somebody likes 68 camaros more than a 49 Merc, that does not mean that one of those guys is antiquated, and less of a hot rodder than the other, they just have different tastes. There are certian things you have to do with a fiberglass boat to get it up to speed, simple fact. From your statements , those rules do not apply with your aluminum hulls. Fair enough, but that guy came on here slamming fiberglass hulls and the things we do to make them fast. He was out of line. I respect you and him for what you are doing with the aluminum hull push, you know that, we have talked before. But just because somebody likes or has a different boat than what you are as passionate about does not make you guys superior and everybody else neoliths. Respect is a 2 way street, and he crossed a line IMO. Hot Boats are Hot Boats period at the end of the day. If the guy was asking questions about an aluminum hull, your name would have been the first I gave to him to ask questions. This site is about enjoying and growing the life of hot boating, and personally, just becasue I own a 21ft Mini, does not mean I do not appreciate the classic flat bottom V-drive, or what you guys have going on up north, or the 36ft 1500hp cat heading out to Catalina. I like it all but I hate when someone starts spewing BS just because the guy is not doing it his way or does not have a boat like his. That was the reason for my initial retort

Xerophobic
05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Fair enough, just didn't want the net to skew oppinons on a guy I know personally. Dave would be THE first guy to take anyone of you guys for a rip up the river, and back to his shop for beers after. Thats my only point
Ok back to hot boats :D
(honestly I don't see anymore animosity here than we do between the jet and Vdrive guys lol)
Cheers
P.S. Oh and for the comments we frequently hear about cost. I just found a stellar, almost unbelievable, deal on a tin boat which I hope to steal right out from under your noses down there in the south. If i can't pull it off I will offer it up for someone closer, it is THE deal of the century for anyone who wants to give a tin ***boat a try without breaking the bank. You guys would be shocked at this one

Statue
05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I like the roll bar and the Top Fuel Dragster wing attached to the front of it.
Think I'll stick with my old slow fiberglass stuff. And I'm sure this will get people fired up, but at the end of the day, the cheapest way to make a jet boat go fast is to strap a whacka on the back of it. I have both, and generally speaking, most OT Header jets are not within 20mph of my 18' Cole Whacka boat. And no it doesn't go 100mph but it's not real far off.

wright27
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Don't pout:D The guys on here like to have fun thats all, don't be so damn serious. To go 100 plus starts with your haul design. Tunnell hauls and CP are the best hauls to use to achive this. Next is big horsepower and alot of pump work. Then settting up the boat properly so you can control it. It only take thousands and thousands of dollars. I have seen a shit load of jets running 100-120 plus kicking v drives asses all day long.

Bow Tie Omega
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Fair enough, just didn't want the net to skew oppinons on a guy I know personally. Dave would be THE first guy to take anyone of you guys for a rip up the river, and back to his shop for beers after. Thats my only point
Ok back to hot boats :D
(honestly I don't see anymore animosity here than we do between the jet and Vdrive guys lol)
Cheers
P.S. Oh and for the comments we frequently hear about cost. I just found a stellar, almost unbelievable, deal on a tin boat which I hope to steal right out from under your noses down there in the south. If i can't pull it off I will offer it up for someone closer, it is THE deal of the century for anyone who wants to give a tin ***boat a try without breaking the bank. You guys would be shocked at this one
We are good man, No issues here.

BrendellaJet
05-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks, but I'd take the '69 Camaro over any modern junk out there. Those ugly ass aluminum boats have no character and cost way too much. Ugly and slow!!! No bang for the buck.
Yah think this '69 camaro can handle 150 mph????
http://www.racecar2000.com/ad-photos/5692-mod.jpg
Oh dammmmnnn, can I get a hell yeah? That thing is badass.

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I am also, I just had a root canal, so bare with me........Where in the F do you get off dogging people who enjoy working on their boats and trying to make something out of it. Is this any different than somebody taking a 49 Merc, breaking it down, and rebuilding it peice by piece, dropping it to the weeds and installing a 500 hp big block. How about restoring a 55 chevy. This is hot rodding on the water, plain and simple. If you do not get that, you do not belong here IMO. Yes the almunium hulls are nice, yes they are fast, and the fabrication is beautiful. Hell, I have been talking to the wife about maybe doing one in the next year or two. But some of the hot boaters do not want to spend or do not have $70,000 plus to go and buy a 20 foot boat complete off of the showroom floor. Your statement was probably one of the most ignorant opinions I have heard on this board, in the 5 years I have been a member. The name of this website is Hot Boat, as in Hot Rods on water, not aluminum hull monthly. If you are trying to promote high performance aluminum hulls to all of us, you need to use some tact instead of being a dick. Take some notes from xerophobic, he presents the facts, he is informative and he seems to be a nice guy.
well said.

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 01:54 PM
oh and slowboy, why do you care so much about beating the bass boats anyways. fukk em:D :D

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
But can it turn? Drive it somewhere 1/2 way between here and cali and I'll race you
hook your boat to the back of that Camaro and I'll run your boat as well
Tell yah what, my boat can't turn all that great, but so what. I'll set you out 5 and the go in a 1/4 mile race (since that is what my boat is built for)
I'm into it for pure acceleration. Your boat might turn and run in shallow water, but it's ugly and e.t.'s like a VW bus stuffed with hippies.
5 and the go to you. Hell, I'll even drag my ass up to Northern Cal to make the trip easier on you.

BAE_557
05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Tell yah what, my boat can't turn all that great, but so what. I'll set you out 5 and the go in a 1/4 mile race (since that is what my boat is built for)
I'm into it for pure acceleration. Your boat might turn and run in shallow water, but it's ugly and e.t.'s like a VW bus stuffed with hippies.
5 and the go to you. Hell, I'll even drag my ass up to Northern Cal to make the trip easier on you.
Why don't you guys hook up and run at CFW in No Cal on Father's day

Bow Tie Omega
05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
You guys, the man asked how to make his FIBERGLASS JET BOAT go faster, how in the hell did this turn into a who is faster thread:rolleyes: :D Can somebody get me some popcorn please

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
You guys, the man asked how to make his FIBERGLASS JET BOAT go faster, how in the hell did this turn into a who is faster thread:rolleyes: :D Can somebody get me some popcorn please
Lol yah! It hurts my eyes to have these guys say in every thread Aluminum this And Aluminum that. I am considering the aluminum thing to but do they have to post in every thread how superior they are?:devil: :devil: lol just givin shit

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Why don't you guys hook up and run at CFW in No Cal on Father's day
That's a great idea.
Well Canuck???

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
:D :D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/2550popcorn.jpg

ratso
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I had a friend back in the early 90's, wanted to run with us on the rivers and maybe do a few lake racer drags. He bought a 20 ft Jet Boat with a 454 and immediately did a cam, intake, heads, carb, and a few other things to it... 65mph... went and put nitrous to it and took it to the drags... 67mph...:D Anyway, he sold it and I hooked him up with an outboard on a tunnel hull, set him up and right out of the box he was running 85mph... I never seen such a big smile on someone's face.:D With a little propping we got him around 90mph. The jets sound bad ass and some of them run bad ass if you got deep enough pockets. Take an STV, Allison, HydroStream, or Mirage to name a few and bolt on 260 or 280 horses, and you're running 100 easy... I'm not knocking any boats, I run all types... but bottom line, bang for the buck and you want to run 100, you're talking outboard... but you can't ever top the "coolness factor" with a jet boat...;)

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I had a friend back in the early 90's, wanted to run with us on the rivers and maybe do a few lake racer drags. He bought a 20 ft Jet Boat with a 454 and immediately did a cam, intake, heads, carb, and a few other things to it... 65mph... went and put nitrous to it and took it to the drags... 67mph...:D Anyway, he sold it and I hooked him up with an outboard on a tunnel hull, set him up and right out of the box he was running 85mph... I never seen such a big smile on someone's face.:D With a little propping we got him around 90mph. The jets sound bad ass and some of them run bad ass if you got deep enough pockets. Take an STV, Allison, HydroStream, or Mirage to name a few and bolt on 260 or 280 horses, and you're running 100 easy... I'm not knocking any boats, I run all types... but bottom line, bang for the buck and you want to run 100, you're talking outboard... but you can't ever top the "coolness factor" with a jet boat...;)
What about $2000 for a 70mph Hondo:D .... I would have liked to see how fast an outboard would have made that 20' boat... read signature:devil:

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 03:32 PM
but you can't ever top the "coolness factor" with a jet boat...;)
Well, unless you have a V-drive ;)

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
What about $2000 for a 70mph Hondo:D .... I would have liked to see how fast an outboard would have made that 20' boat... read signature:devil:
Ha ha ha....I know that dude :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
What tha Fock is going on in here????? I leave on a good note and it went south :eek: You guys are brutal today :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
You've mentioned v-drive a few times. Drive one and you will be forever changed. I threw a bunch of money at a jet and had lotsa fun. I don't regret it, but advise people not to do it. Buy a good v-drive and you will attain your goal!!!:D
Get outta here with that gay talk. Dont know body care about a lame ass v-drive :yuk:

ratso
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, unless you have a V-drive ;)
I stand corrected???:D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VsWXGpGiRRs

lilrick
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Get outta here with that gay talk. Dont know body care about a lame ass v-drive :yuk:
:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
:D
Dammit Rick, stop trying to convert our guys :D :D Hows the flattie running? Did you dial her in yet?

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Bring your jet boat
I don't have a jet boat!
I have an old school fiberglass hull with Caveman tachnology and a little "hot rod" motor in it.

Coded-Dude
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
:jawdrop:
:) :) :)
lol

zudnic
05-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Our differences here are geographical, nothing more.
I was stuck growing up in Vancouver cause of my Dads job. I have a tape deck in my boat and the only tapes I have are: TPOH, Hip, Colin James and Northern Pikes, I'll be blaring this all over Northern Cali next week; shrink the geo differences....... :D
I'm starting to like my SBC and your the guy's running them the most me thinks, as most seem to be into bb's here. So good source of info...... My 928 I'll put it up against any pre-90's sports car in the mountains.

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
So then how are you going to race your non existant jet boat? You shot your mouth off and you don't even own that ugly POS in your avatar.... How the hell did you plan to give me 5? Go back to your trailer queen v-drive board.
This wasn't a debate about jet boats but rather fiberglass old school technology and your aluminum pile of shit!!!
And yes I will give you 5 and the move, my boat against yours. You are'nt afraid of a little prop are yah?
Puss!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-31-2007, 06:17 AM
This wasn't a debate about jet boats but rather fiberglass old school technology and your aluminum pile of shit!!!
And yes I will give you 5 and the move, my boat against yours. You are'nt afraid of a little prop are yah?
Puss!
Oh damn!!!! :eek:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Puss!
wheres the pic of havasu??? Go ahead and post it:D :D

-XTC-
05-31-2007, 06:37 AM
ya gotta love the hot boat forums.... great reading... LOL :)

Bow Tie Omega
05-31-2007, 06:46 AM
:D :D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/2550popcorn.jpg
Thank You!:D :D :D

Slowboy
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
I have always been good at starting this stuff:)

moneysucker
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I have always been good at starting this stuff:)
Ok, OK, Reveal yourself. You can't be "Always be good at starting stuff" with only 9 posts. I would hate to see a new member get this kind of treatment to his introductory thread.

NUTHIN
05-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Cool.... Riggins Idaho... name the date....
Lets see how good your old school POS is
Not scared of a few waves are ya?
ive been in a 16' jet that flat out rips! they get it on and turn killer, it did bout 100. unreal fun! BUT.................. QUICKJETS OLD SCHOOL BOTE izz pretty sikk!!! If I recall correctly it HAULS ASS:jawdrop:

3 daytona`s
05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh damn!!!! :eek:
:idea:

pw_Tony
05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Damn it this is becoming another damn Bench Racers thread...:devil:

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Cool.... Riggins Idaho... name the date....
Lets see how good your old school POS is
Not scared of a few waves are ya?
If you want waves and turns, why don't you go hit up one of the old school fiberglass K boats? That is if you can handle getting your ass handed to you by a 140 + mph boat. C'mon, they're fiberglass!!!
My boat is old school and is built for drag racing. It doesn't like waves, turns, rocks, logs, tree branches, underwater school busses or any other obstructions. Why would you want to drag race with waves? Funny how you have to have an obsticle course in order to race me.
Are there going to be any jump ramps or rings of fire included in this race????
If you are so secure about you aluminum gem, why the need for lowsey conditions?

dragboat
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
We're going to need more popcorn.:D
The last time I saw the popcorn machine Topless took it over to the Sandbar from Bench Racers.
Nice Camaro! Damm!
Hey 396, hows the project going?

Xerophobic
05-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Never fails on this board, anytime there is a highperformance jet thread it gets hijacked into a Vdrive vs Jet thing. Unreal
We're talking about performance in a jetboat and yea alum vs glass I'll put my money on the alloy boat in any conditions.
The only thing that factors into using alum for a hull is weight, pure and simple it ain't got nothing to do with where a guy lives or what he does or any of that crap. Its weight, period. Wouldn't matter if you were talking about a kevlar/carbon hull or whatever. Its just weight. It sure ain't easier to build with!
Cheers

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
You called the race for what your POS is built for.... I called the place for what mine is designed for.... so it should be an even race....
K boats....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
A little post by Nuthin for your reading pleasure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He called my boat ugly....WAAAAAAAAAA......BTW which one :)
So Mr Mouth Riggins or Marsing?
You called me out. I was fine and content in my underdog Fiberglass boat. Since you called ME out I get to choose the lake.
CFW Father's day Weekend. I'm already setting you out 5 boat lengths and whatever you can pick up from the move. Since my boat is so old school you should have no problem making this a winning event for you.
I noticed you are using an American made 331. Guess it's aint the first time you Canadians needed American power to cover your asses.
Fiberglass to Aluminum.....lets see what yah got. Hey maybe Morg will be there and show you how a man's boat turns the corners.

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Never fails on this board, anytime there is a highperformance jet thread it gets hijacked into a Vdrive vs Jet thing. Unreal
We're talking about performance in a jetboat and yea alum vs glass I'll put my money on the alloy boat in any conditions.
The only thing that factors into using alum for a hull is weight, pure and simple it ain't got nothing to do with where a guy lives or what he does or any of that crap. Its weight, period. Wouldn't matter if you were talking about a kevlar/carbon hull or whatever. Its just weight. It sure ain't easier to build with!
Cheers
This isn't about V-drive and Jet. I love and respect both. It's about ugly way over priced aluminum boats compared to fiberglass old school ones.
And my boat is a lake boat. Enjoyed last weekend out on Lake McClure with it. Havasu, Elsinore, the river. It aint no race boat.

NUTHIN
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
You called the race for what your POS is built for.... I called the place for what mine is designed for.... so it should be an even race....
K boats....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
A little post by Nuthin for your reading pleasure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my buddy has one of those rollbar 14' jets with a 427 sm block chevy single carb deal. it DOES 100+ mph like NOW! and makes a k-boat look silly trying to turn. he would be heading toward shore trukkin right along and the next thing you know hes heading in the opposite direction at the drop of a dime. It looked like a rat trying to get out of a maze. he handed more people there ass at the lake that weekend Its no 8sec qrtr mile boat but it sure as hell LOOKED like one. Plus that thing could damn near do everything a jetski does
He called my boat ugly....WAAAAAAAAAA......BTW which one :)
So Mr Mouth...... Riggins or Marsing?
yeah my buddys boat is bad ass. but my 18' sanger whooped his ass from a stand still! his boat is like an oversized jet ski. he used to run the tracks with the navigator. way kool stuff. insane as far as turning and he pulls it way up on shore like its a canoe. I beat that boat in a drag race with my sanger, with my eliminator (jet) and STOMPED HIM with well...... something similar like quickjets boat!! we cruised around the potholes in washington for the better part of the day and my sanger could not turn anywhere near as good as his boat but ide catch him in the straights. fun times. I rode in that boat many times and for a small block jet its very impressive. But ide never sit passenger in a k-boat....EVER. F%&K that. thats a whole nuther animal. just like the boats were talking about. the slowest lake rod is kool in my book. I happen to own it:D

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Now you get to call the race and the place.... coward
331 wtf is that... I said 311 and It is cast in Canada
Like the time we burnt the white house down....
Glass to alum ... jet to jet I'll run you
Any time Morg or Guru or any K wants to run a single pin tight short course I'll go
Cast in Canada???? Ha ha ha.....they cast them in Mexico to.
So now you are calling me out jet to jet knowing that I don't have one????? Wow!! What a way to man up http://***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
Next thing you are going to say is that we have to race over Niagra falls.
So lets get this straight, you'll only drag race with space over rough water.
You'll race a K boat as long as it's not allowed to get up to speed,
and you'll race me if I go buy a completely different boat.
Why not just admit that your boat only works when you put others at a dissadvantage.
Do I have to wear a blind fold or race with one arm tied behind my back?

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
You are a fool. You have had a boat for maybe 3 years.
You don't like it... STFU
If it ain't no race boat lets run Havasu on a saturday afternoon
Chicken?
I've been around boats all my life, bought one in 2002 and I'll still blow yours out of the water........
Saturday is no good, but I have Wedensday in the AM open.
Puss!!!

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Something ain't right
It's a lakeboat!!
Here is Havasu.....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10278CC_Dock.jpg
This is at McClure waiting for an aluminum pile to drive by. Funny, none did.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/P52700161.JPG

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Isn't this the jet forum?:
Yes it is. Please refer to avatar and sig.
Maybe I know the speeds of a K on a short course:idea:
Maybe you do, but how does limiting a K boat proove the advantages of an aluminum one?

NUTHIN
05-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Something ain't right----? his boat has been retired for years. he builds small blocks for late models in the wash area. some big blocks here and there. built my all lumi blown 565 for my jet also. hed never been in a v-drive till he went in mine:D he couldnt believe the acceleration in a flat. and he beat the chit out of me in his boat:jawdrop: a rollbar just dont seem right in a boat

NUTHIN
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
It's a lakeboat!!
Here is Havasu.....
GOOD LORD LOOK AT THAT OUTDATED FIBERGLASS HUNK OF CRAP:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
GOOD LORD LOOK AT THAT OUTDATED FIBERGLASS HUNK OF CRAP:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Yeah Barrett, what the hell did you sell me??:mad:
Guess I'll sell it, mortgage the house and go spend 70 grand on a foreign jobber.
Hey, atleast I'll be able to run over logs and rocks. Shit I'll convert the rollbar to a lumber rack and drive the son of a bitch to work ;)

NUTHIN
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Guess I'll sell it, mortgage the house and go spend 70 grand on a foreign jobber.
Hey, atleast I'll be able to run over logs and rocks. Shit I'll convert the rollbar to a lumber rack and drive the son of a bitch to work ;)......................................lmao:D hey i told you before hand that it was a usless outdated turd.. we shook hands and everything no returns. all sales are final.

QuickJet
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I'll run you jet to jet anytime.
Nice ride BTW(for a POS)
that 5 gallon tank and the numbers gives the lake boat thing away everytime
You wanna run your Cole against my Sprint....Riggins awaits
Well I don't have a jet. And even if I did, I know when I'm out gunned. I'm sure I could put together a 1/4 mile screamer if I wanted to however we would again be talking about two completely different types of boats, even though they shared the same drives.
So tell me about this sprint.......
Oh and thanks ;)

dragboat
06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
It's a lakeboat!!
Here is Havasu.....
Kick ass boat QuickJet!

dragboat
06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
100th post:D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

steelcomp
06-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey, at least I'll be able to run over logs and rocks. Shit I'll convert the rollbar to a lumber rack and drive the son of a bitch to work ;)Now that made me laugh!!
You aluminum boat jerks are just that. Why is it you always have to talk down to people like you invented performance boating? You've adapted your style of boating to your environment, going up rivers and running over shit. BFD. Your boats are fast, top speed, but accelerate like old whores, and I think they're ugly. What's realy funny is, you think your boats are high tech. What's high tech about aluminum? Boats have been made out of aluminum a lot longer than they've been made out of fiberglass. You only need aluminum 'cause you don't know how to drive the damn things, and can't steer straight. Run over shit all the time. Crash 'em on the bank, roll 'em over, and then laugh like it's cool or something. Sounds plain ignorant to me.
Your boats are fine for what you do, but they're not the be all and end all of jet boating by any means.

Sleeper CP
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey, atleast I'll be able to run over logs and rocks. Shit I'll convert the rollbar to a lumber rack and drive the son of a bitch to work ;)
I have only been here since Friday. That line is classic, had to laugh out loud.
Sweet boat.
Sleeper CP

FuelInMyVeins82
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
BFD. Your boats are fast, top speed, but accelerate like old whores, and I think they're ugly.
Just out of curiosity how exactly does an "old wh*re accelerate"?
and way to rub salt in the wound with the "I think there ugly" comment whats next a yo mama joke :D

Sleeper CP
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Ryan
Question, Did Slowboy ever get an answer to the original question ? Is a Mako a shallow V bottom ? If so Slowboy ,you would be pissin into the wind trying that. Start with a 500 lb tunnel or Gullwing and you'll be fine with a 750 hp 6,500- 7,000 rpm SMBlk. Another choice would be an old Eliminator Sprint, but they are damn squirrely(?) a Gullwing is about the safest fast "river" boat you'll find.
Sleeper CP

QuickJet
06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Kick ass boat QuickJet!
Thanks bro ;)

QuickJet
06-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Now that made me laugh!!
You aluminum boat jerks are just that. Why is it you always have to talk down to people like you invented performance boating? You've adapted your style of boating to your environment, going up rivers and running over shit. BFD. Your boats are fast, top speed, but accelerate like old whores, and I think they're ugly. What's realy funny is, you think your boats are high tech. What's high tech about aluminum? Boats have been made out of aluminum a lot longer than they've been made out of fiberglass. You only need aluminum 'cause you don't know how to drive the damn things, and can't steer straight. Run over shit all the time. Crash 'em on the bank, roll 'em over, and then laugh like it's cool or something. Sounds plain ignorant to me.
Your boats are fine for what you do, but they're not the be all and end all of jet boating by any means.
Ha ha ha...great post Scott :D
Question, Did Slowboy ever get an answer to the original question ? Is a Mako a shallow V bottom ? If so Slowboy ,you would be pissin into the wind trying that. Start with a 500 lb tunnel or Gullwing and you'll be fine with a 750 hp 6,500- 7,000 rpm SMBlk. Another choice would be an old Eliminator Sprint, but they are damn squirrely(?) a Gullwing is about the safest fast "river" boat you'll find.
Sleeper CP
Now that is some great advise.
Welcome to the boards sleeper.

steelcomp
06-04-2007, 06:10 AM
you'll be fine with a 750 hp 6,500- 7,000 rpm SMBlk.Yeah, those are laying around everywhere. Prolly get one at Pep Boys.
6500-7000 rpm isn't exactly jet boat rpm, at least not at 750 hp .

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, those are laying around everywhere. Prolly get one at Pep Boys.
6500-7000 rpm isn't exactly jet boat rpm, at least not at 750 hp .
I didn't say it was going to be easy or cheap,and to be honest I don't think his de-tuned 355 incher is the engine to use. The choice would be a stroker smblk 383-427 w nos, base engine 700-750hp under 7,000 and 200 hp shot on top of that. At Martinez some years back a dude named "farmer John" had a 18 ft CP tunnel w/ a smblk and 400 hp nos system. The thing left like a bullet and would run a 105 or so. The thing was he usually didn't have to keep his leg in it because he would hole shot most boats so bad they would just quite. And yea, he knew the limitations of his boat, he didn't cruise up river 14 miles like my brother and me to go water skiing. He hit the water went up river two miles with his 10 gallon gas tank and hung out there and raced.
FYI my de-tuned 409 in SmBlk Ford makes 650 hp@ 6,500 with a single 750 Holley and makes 570 lbs. ft at 5,500. Oh yeah this is with 91 octane pump gas @ 32 degrees timing.I modify too!

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Ha ha ha...great post Scott :D
Now that is some great advise.
Welcome to the boards sleeper.
How is it that a guy named QuickJet has such a Bad Ass V-drive?
Love your boat- Bad to the Bone.
Sleeper CP

wtraugr
06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Slowboy,
New to the forum but have been lurking for a long long time. This boat was GPS'd a week ago at 85mph downstream with myself, and two lead weights, 260lbs & 185lbs. Full of fuel (170 liters or 45 us gal). 406 SBC, 8.75 to 1, pump gas, 518HP/489 ft lbs, $39,500 Cdn and it's yours. Motor was built for a procharger. I would have no idea what kind of speed 720HP(w/procharger) would get you, but you could probably get close to your desired speed.
Al
PS. Xero is right, Jungle boy is one of the finest people you could ever meet and would go out his way to take you for a tin boat ride or just help in any way he could. Awesome person all round.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1175/530845634_7827216277.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1205/530845604_665cdbbfb3.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1127/530845600_81a31d89cd.jpg?v=0

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
WTRAUGR,
How much does a bare hull like that weigh? Is that a two person boat, and has anyone ever made an open bow out of one?
Sleeper CP

wtraugr
06-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Sleeper,
Aprox dry weight is 1650lbs, two race buckets up front and a bench in the back for two people or three small ones. I can't tell you if they have made an open bow out of the 19', but they make a beautiful one in the 21' version. I am going to upgrade to the 21' open bow myself.
Al

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Not bad at 500lbs. The bottom on one of those isn't a deep Vee is it?
Sleeper CP

wtraugr
06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks Canuck1

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
20 degree stepped
Thanks for the info.
I'm new at this posting thing and I have looked at the control panel and I can't findout how to set a signature. Can you direct me?
Thanks
Sleeper CP

Cs19
06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Invented... no....improved....yes
Some simple questions for you
Name one glass jet hull manufacturer that can run well over 100mph and still turn
Name one glass jet hull manu that can out accelerate a sprint boat
Name one glass jet hull manufacturer that can out turn a sprint hull
Name one glass jet hull manu that has the rigidity of any alloy hull that is still light weight
Name one glass jet hull manu that can run 115mph+ with a rock grate and no loader
Name one glass lightweight jet hull manu that can take the pounding of a Saturday afternoon in Havasu at speed
Maybe the research that has been put into the alloy hulls bottoms is the important part and something that you need to think about.... at least the K boats are fast and kinda turn.
I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I have never seen a alloy hull come apart like some drag boats do when they crash.... have you? I quit drag racing for that very reason.
BTW Is drag racing actually driving a boat or a car?:eek:
Name one aluminum boat that can rip off a 4.00 to the 1/8 mile.

QuickJet
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
http://mud.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3550098194

Delta River Rat
06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a '81 Eliiminator Sprint...fairly stock. It runs 73 MPH (not the fastest, but it gets there in a 1/4 mi. or less) on the GPS, handles great, gel coat catches eyes, fits 4 easily, in to it for about $5,000 give or take (not the most expensive either).
How much do those fancy metal boats run? What's typical top speed? If they're slow on the acceleration...how come?
BTW, I'm from Cali, but like Canada a lot...not a hater, eh! Can anyone say Strange Brew eh!

zudnic
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
BTW, I'm from Cali, but like Canada a lot...not a hater, eh! Can anyone say Strange Brew eh!
Bob And Doug was originaly a sarcastic skit criticising Canadian content rules in television broadcast's shown in Canada..... If Canadians seem like haters its not their fault entirely they've been programmed against American content! :D
If you liked Bob and Doug, find the Trailor Park Boy's, awesome chit!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Do I need to pass out a few boots to tha chests' in here :D :D
Play nice boys :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Invented... no....improved....yes
Some simple questions for you
Name one glass jet hull manufacturer that can run well over 100mph and still turn
Name one glass jet hull manu that can out accelerate a sprint boat
Name one glass jet hull manufacturer that can out turn a sprint hull
Name one glass jet hull manu that has the rigidity of any alloy hull that is still light weight
Name one glass jet hull manu that can run 115mph+ with a rock grate and no loader
Name one glass lightweight jet hull manu that can take the pounding of a Saturday afternoon in Havasu at speed
Maybe the research that has been put into the alloy hulls bottoms is the important part and something that you need to think about.... at least the K boats are fast and kinda turn.
I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I have never seen a alloy hull come apart like some drag boats do when they crash.... have you? I quit drag racing for that very reason.
BTW Is drag racing actually driving a boat or a car?:eek:
Im not getting into this thread by any means!!! I have seen the lumi boat vidz and they are sick;) Those boats haul azz!!! The only problem is that I NEVER see any pics like this..........:idea: Why is there ALWAYS 2 dudes in them boats:idea: WHy dont we see any ladies on them rides:idea:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2kendra_04.jpg

QuickJet
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Im not getting into this thread by any means!!! I have seen the lumi boat vidz and they are sick;) Those boats haul azz!!! The only problem is that I NEVER see any pics like this..........:idea: Why is there ALWAYS 2 dudes in them boats:idea: WHy dont we see any ladies on them rides:idea:
It's Canada!! They look at their men the way we do our women. The guy sitting bitch is giving the driver a hand..............job ;)

Sleeper CP
06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Im not getting into this thread by any means!!! I have seen the lumi boat vidz and they are sick;) Those boats haul azz!!! The only problem is that I NEVER see any pics like this..........:idea: Why is there ALWAYS 2 dudes in them boats:idea: WHy dont we see any ladies on them rides:idea
Is that what you call a "Blower" sitting on top of that engine?
Sleeper CP

QuickJet
06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Is that what you call a "Blower" sitting on top of that engine?
Sleeper CP
looks like two blowers to me ;)

e514jet
06-06-2007, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure what it takes to get 100mph but, my 78 sanger with a 514, iron
heads and mild compression runs 80mph on gps. Like some of the other comments on here the newer hulls run faster with the same power. It seems to take alot of power for a few MPH. I hope to get a few more MPH on Nitrous. (125shot).

Sleeper CP
06-06-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure what it takes to get 100mph but, my 78 sanger with a 514, iron
heads and mild compression runs 80mph on gps. Like some of the other comments on here the newer hulls run faster with the same power. It seems to take alot of power for a few MPH. I hope to get a few more MPH on Nitrous. (125shot).
e514jet,
I'm new to posting, but my brother and I got our 19' CP gullwing running 100+
in '93 or '94. A 100 mph gullwing is really no big deal, doing it with a 780 lb. open bow hull is.
Choosing the right hull is impairative and an air entrapment hull of some sort is almost mandatory. There are a few non entrapment hulls that can do it, but most will chine walk on you and that's not fun and the others are all over the place. I've seen a couple of old Eliminator Sprints do it, but it looks like a hell of a ride at shut down and they may have just been running mid-90's anyway.
Depending on your set up: engine/pump combo the 125 shot might add 400 rpm's or so. Make sure your '78 Sanger's bottom doesn't have any hook in it so that you are getting everything you can out of it. If your pump is in good condition with a fresh wear ring and can put the extra power to use you'll certainly gain a few mph's. Keep this in mind though: the difference between 90 mph & 100 mph can be( hell:will be) thousands of dollars( been there done that 14 yrs ago). It is nearly a deminishing returns investment, but when or if you reach your goal it's worth it. Just start by knowing the limitations of your hull, that is probably the most important thing I can tell anyone searching for 100 mph in a jet.
Sleeper CP

Xerophobic
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Name one thats tried and not been able to do it?
I don't know where you guys get your lack of acceleration claims from an aluminum boat ain't any different from a glass boat if you're going to set it up that way except that we get more strength for the weight we got into the plan.
The boats you keep saying "don't accellerate" are NOT supposed to as they are MARATHON boats and set up for top speed. A top speed which I might add is likely higher than you would attain with most glass hulls with the identical motor.
Trust me there has been enough talk that you guys will be seeing alloy hulls in your neck of the woods very soon, then we'll see.
Also a FYI to everyone always asking me for a cheap alloy hull: had you guys been paying attention you could have had a fully rigged 21 tunnel on a trailer ready to race minus the 502(altho half the parts of one-head included) for $5K on a trailer!!!! boat was in TX and I missed the deal by hours due to a communication breakdown. Deal of the year that was a TON of boat for 5K . I had planned on puttin an interior in it and running it as a pleasure boat
Cheers

Sleeper CP
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Xero,
Can you give me the name of a couple of companies that make those tin cans and where I can find them on the web? I like to know, what I don't know.
I may never buy one, but I am sure interested in their performance. And it sounds like they are extremely efficient unless you Canuks are a bunch of lieing bastards. I would guess they don't require much water do they? Ok going over sand bars at 18-24" ? How fast do you think 700 hp can push one of those tin cans anyway? Not a stripped down race one but a good rec boat. I have a couple of engines just laying around doing nothing.
Thanks for the info.
Sleeper CP

Cs19
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Trust me there has been enough talk that you guys will be seeing alloy hulls in your neck of the woods very soon, then we'll see.
Bring your hardest hitting aluminum jet to the colorado river on a big weekend and we will see whats up. dinner at the best steak house in town says you guys get left on.
deal?

sofa king smooth
06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm in.

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Sleeper there is a ton of aluminum boat builders on the web but in terms of performance hulls we are about the only choice. Well certainly we are by far the premier builder of performance aluminum hulls in the world.
You can find out tons more on our web page and our forum:
www.outlaweagle.com
if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to PM
Cheers

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=Sleeper CP;2606587]Xero,
Can you give me the name of a couple of companies that make those tin cans and where I can find them on the web? I like to know, what I don't know.
I may never buy one, but I am sure interested in their performance. And it sounds like they are extremely efficient unless you Canuks are a bunch of lieing bastards. I would guess they don't require much water do they? Ok going over sand bars at 18-24" ? How fast do you think 700 hp can push one of those tin cans anyway? Not a stripped down race one but a good rec boat. I have a couple of engines just laying around doing nothing.
Thanks for the info.
Sleeper CP
I can't PM you so I gotta answer here:
We're definatly not a bunch of lieing bastards I assure you of that. Its a shame some of the big dogs in your boating scene can't take the crap slinging on the boards cause a few very respected guys down there(a certain pump guru you all know comes to mind) have seen our boats first hand, been to races, and have been very impressed from what Im told. They sure ain't gonna come out here and voice their oppinions only to be jumped on, I can't say i blame em.
We can run in as little water as will keep you moving. Typically a sport boat can run in 6-8" easily depending on bottom design(tunnels penetrate more) and of course on speed. If you have apropriate bottom protection hitting here and there doesn't hurt which is the main important difference to a glass hull. Any jet can run that same 6-8" but any jet may not survive when its suddenly less! lol
700 Hp will push a race ready 21 tunnel over 100 easily and remember thats with a roll cage, 2 guys and a fair bit of fuel. In a pleasure trim the boat may actually be lighter. 650 hp will probably get you triple digits in a boat setup "loose". A lighweight 12 tunnel can do 80+ with a stock ZZ4 (355 hp)
The marathon boats tend to run a long steel nozzle which makes getting on step a little slower but can often give 5 or more mph and its these nozzles that seem to have a bad rap on here. Its nothing to do with the hull itself that makes them slow to accellerate its just the geometry of it. A glass hull would likely also be faster with a steel nozzle but acceleration will suffer. We have seen a huge increase in the number of racers running our "planing aid" which is just a flap that diverts the flow down to get on step. They work very well. Here is a picture of a typical marathon pump setup including this planing aid:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722fxpumpr.JPG
These nozzles obviously create a huge mechanical advantage by moving the thrust point further aft. This gives more bow lift and increased moment for turning. Any glass boat with a nozzle 3' + out the back of the boat wouldn't accellerate very well either! Raceboats also rarely run a trim because they are concerned with top speed only in most cases. Ive actually seen a boat carry sand bags on the bow to help get on plane (dumped off once on step). Using one of these would have made that unecessary.
Also remember a fully loaded marathon boat can have 60+ gallons of fuel and 2 guys onboard.
Steel nozzles also offer improved flow as they do not have any internal obstructions. When travelling in a stright line nothing touches or obstructs the flow other than the smooth walls of the nozzle. There are no abrupt transitions etc like you would have in a standard cast nozzle
Cheers

SB
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
First time I've seen the planing aid, interesting.
Do you really need planing help with 700 hp in a 800 lb boat?

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
When the bow of the boat weighs about 100 lbs total and you have 600+ lbs of fuel, the engine and pump all within the last 48" of hull and a 13 or more degree upkick in a long nozzle...
YES
lol
some boats also run a ballast tank in the bow: plumbing fills the tank from the pump and once on step an 4" RV dump drops the water into the bilge to be pumped overboard. Also a very effective way to add weight for starts. 60 lbs of water at the tip of a 21' tunnel makes a signifigant difference.
Of course these hulls react very well to standard trim nozzles like any boat altho many hardcore performance guys will run in even flowing water without reverse to get the extra performance of the steel nozzle. It just takes getting used to.
Cheers

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Make no mistake guys the "don't accellerate" thing is being blown out of proportion. The pump/motor don't know what the hull is made of, either the boat is setup for accelleration or its not. If we actually could find an aluminum drag boat up here it would be simple to prove, unfortunatly we don't find too many drags boats here period, much less an alloy one.
This boat had NO problems getting on step even with a race nozzle(and did 93 mph with 720 HP - rigged as you see it)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722SharkSportr.JPG
Cheers

Sleeper CP
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Make no mistake guys the "don't accellerate" thing is being blown out of proportion. The pump/motor don't know what the hull is made of, either the boat is setup for accelleration or its not. If we actually could find an aluminum drag boat up here it would be simple to prove, unfortunatly we don't find too many drags boats here period, much less an alloy one.
This boat had NO problems getting on step even with a race nozzle(and did 93 mph with 720 HP - rigged as you see it)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722SharkSportr.JPG
Cheers
Xero,
First off thanks for all of the good info. I love learning new things(I like to know, what I don't know). Going fast is only half the fun...What you make go fast is the other half. The 93 mph boat you pictured will out run 90% of the 18-19 ft 750hp pickel- forks that run around in my neck of the woods, that is impressive to me. And I thought my open bow Cal. Performance was a sleeper. Now here is the problem, as soon as I sell one of my kindneys or my 8 yr old son I call you and put in an order. Wow $$$$$. Yeah I know when you go first class you have to pay the price, but wow.
Truth be told though, I would love to have one of your open bow 21' boats with my 750 HP 512" BBF or the 650 HP smblk ford it's just not going to happen anytime soon at those prices. I guess I'll play the lotto this weekend.
Once again, thanks for the great info and I'll keep my eye out for a deal in the future. Impressive #'s.
Sleeper CP

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Anytime sleeper, your welcome
The white boat had an impressive 572 in it making 720 hp on pump gas, hardly a crate engine. But that said the boat had a full interior, stereo, heater etc
Im sure there would be some surprised faces to see it keeping up with some low freeboard boats :D
Initial outlay for an alloy hull is definatly higher but they do cost alot more to build. there is a ton of welding and cleanup in one of these boats. They do however last a LONG time and retain their value like crazy. Try to find a good used one, you'll soon get the picture (I think there is a really nice clean 23 foot tunnel on ebay right now)
That said deals are out there to be had. Im still kicking myself for missing out on this boat.
5K as you see it with everything ready to race except a 502 shortblock.
Geeez that hurts just to type.....
http://www.jetboatracing.com/Duanedboat.jpg
Boat was in southern US as well
Cheers

Sleeper CP
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Xero,
$5,000.00 I knew you Canuks were a bunch of lying bastard's ;) or are you just trying to make me feel bad?! What should that boat be worth? And I don't need a heater maybe A/C but heater no! When it's cold I find something else to do.
Sleeper CP

Xerophobic
06-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I almost had that boat all lined up but let it slip thru my hands and Im still mad for it.
It had the 502 heads(2 hrs old) intake, carb, ceramic basset headers, full msd, brackets etc etc etc etc
helmets, lifeline jackets, cover, new seats etc etc etc etc
one lucky guy got that boat let me tell ya!
Sure it was an older hull but it had good paint and new steering and a race ready pump(nozzle is worth almost $1000 cnd)
That boat should easily have fetched double that and possibly triple if you were prepared to wait it out a bit.
Add a 502 shortblock and go racing for 10K, that IS unheard of
Don't get me started........

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't you be working on your boat....:)
I am busting my azz everyday on it;)

e514jet
06-08-2007, 08:04 AM
CP, thanks for the inputs. Yes, I know that you spend $$$$ for speed.
Definitely the tunnels air out a little more. My sanger is smooth at 80. I don't much care for the chine walk either. Maybe a little bigger shot of juice and I'll get 90 out of it. Pump has been rebuilt with a little bowl work, custom cut
impeller,loader, droop, place diverter etc. Motor is new as well. Has about 15 hours on it. (514BBF,9-1cr,iron headed) Motor turns 5400 wide open at 80 (GPS). I'm hoping to turn another 600rpm (6000) on the juice and approach the 90 mark. The boat is a blast to drive. Nitrous is simple to setup but, I have condemplated a turbo behind the scheme of things. :D

Sleeper CP
06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
e514Jet,
I saw your question about turbo's, now you are really talking about alot of $$$. I'll give you some free advise..that should tell you what it is worth. If you want to get the biggest bang for your buck you might want to consider, 1: get rid of the Iron heads and get a set of any of the following Alumi heads; Blue Thunder,Trick Flow, Ford Motorsport SCJ or Jon Kaase's new heads. Any one of them will probably add at least 50 hp if not more and you'll save at least 60 lbs off the back of the boat. You might also be able to bump the Compression up to 10:1. You would be surprised how much throttle responce will change from 9:1 to 10:1 ,it just gives you alittle more pop. 2: I'm assuming since you are running iron heads, you probably don't have a roller cam in it. Put a good quality roller cam in it. Along with the head swap you'll add some serious hp 100-125 and a bunch of trq. depending on the combo. Then put your Nos on top of that, it will be a differnt boat for God only knows how much less than going the turbo route. But if you got the bucks and the time turbo's would be fun.
If you turbo it, you are going to need a good set of heads anyway. So even if you don't do the roller cam right away you can start with the heads.
Sleeper CP

e514jet
06-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Sleeper,
thanks for you input. all the info helps. I had thought about those options when i built the boat. More CR and aluminum heads. I stayed away from aluminum heads actually for the reason I run in brackish water. Some guys say it doesn't make a difference and others say it does when it comes to corrosion. The CR I kept down because in the event that good gas was not
available on the water it would not matter so much. The current cam is a lanati flat tappet(245/255@50 615/622) which actually performs well in my current set up. Not the best grind for a turbo though. Lobe sep is only 110
and turbos typically like around 115-116.

Jet Hydro
06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Ryan
:idea: Maybe ??
Bring $$$ and come by my shop and we can find out!
I love to take on boats like this one :D
Steve

FASTJTBT
06-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I remember back in the 80s old man wilder put at small block in the dennis the mence 19 daytona the ran it down at lost lake it put most of the cp on there trailers it ran mid teens