PDA

View Full Version : Heavy (big girl) jet imprvements

ddevore
05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi guys, here is the situation. My 21' ultra jet with a 454 is suckin up $$$ and running high RPMs. She weighs in around 3500lbs as far as I know... I was talking to a buddy and he said take it in and get a pre loader installed, AB impeller and have the pump blue printed - leave the stock 454 be.
Anyone have any suggestions? I know the approx prices, as far as I can tell pump upgrades will make it more efficient, and suck less fuel hopefully. Anyone done any of these upgrades? If so any improvement outta the hole/ top end to be expected? I do have a diverter that does help, but I'm looking to improve the way this performs as much as I can.
I'll probably give GS or MPD a call later in the week, but I'm looking to get as much info as possible so I don't sound like too much of a jack ass :)

ck7684
05-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Any improvement will depend on how much wear it has now. Hard to say exactly what impeller size to use etc etc without more information (I wouldnt be the one to ask anyways) I'm not sure you would need a loader in this set-up tho...

centerhill condor
05-30-2007, 04:51 AM
not to be a wet towel on your party...but it is a jet and will break soon enough and then you can spend all you want. I had the pump redone last year and installed a loader...didn't really help 'cause my boat doesn't go fast enough. Did alter the way the boat runs and not in an especially good way.
I'd leave it alone and enjoy what you've got while its runnin'!
If you want to go faster invest in about another 100 hp and you'll notice. 200 hp then get some pump work. Boats are gas hogs unless you've got a pontoon with a 40 hp outboard but then why bother? I'm guessing you're a big block kind of guy anyway.

Pops@Aggressor
05-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi guys, here is the situation. My 21' ultra jet with a 454 is suckin up $$$ and running high RPMs. She weighs in around 3500lbs as far as I know... I was talking to a buddy and he said take it in and get a pre loader installed, AB impeller and have the pump blue printed - leave the stock 454 be.
Anyone have any suggestions? I know the approx prices, as far as I can tell pump upgrades will make it more efficient, and suck less fuel hopefully. Anyone done any of these upgrades? If so any improvement outta the hole/ top end to be expected? I do have a diverter that does help, but I'm looking to improve the way this performs as much as I can.
I'll probably give GS or MPD a call later in the week, but I'm looking to get as much info as possible so I don't sound like too much of a jack ass :)You have a simple way to go- larger Impeller. Your not running a drag boat so put in a AA- cut your Rs to 4200 and you will gain across the board. The Hole shot and cruise speeds will be attained 400 to 500Rs less. You will give up a small amount of top end speed -yet your gas bill will be a bunch better. You don't need a Pre-loader or a blue print- If pump is tired get it rebuilt and get back to water.
Its not mistic its just a simple pump in a heavy boat.

P-Money
05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I've got a Cole 20.5 and just made some changes. Replaced the impeller with an Aggressor Mag/Bronze A, added a HTP proloader and shoe and ride plate kit. Haven't been on the water yet to see what the results will be, but I can tell you before these changes I was spinning 6300rpm and running in the upper 70's.

ddevore
05-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info. It's got very little wear on the entire boat, the previous owner pretty much ran 18 hours in 4 years (1-2 trips a year, older guy). I'm looking to get the best performance I can out of the pump and pretty much leave the motor alone - from my (limited) understanding the pump is the biggest loss of power that I have, and the more efficient I can get it the better off I'll be - my buddy was saying getting the pump blue printed and a loader would make night and day difference - anyone else done this on a 454 with approx 350hp and had any good/bad results? Any info is helpful, I'm trying to figure out the best upgrades to do. Thing runs really great, the 1-2mpg (on throttle) kinda stings though.

P-Money
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Try filling up with 44 gallons of 110 octane and see how it feels....:(

ddevore
05-30-2007, 05:14 PM
With those R's I'm guessing you've got a bit more HP than I do - let me know how the upgrades helped though - how much HP you running to get up into those speeds? I was looking to break 60 maybe...

ddevore
05-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Try filling up with 44 gallons of 110 octane and see how it feels....:(
That must burn like bunk mexican food!

P-Money
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm running at 496bbc, 8-71, innercooler, dual Holley 750s, blah blah blah...Hoping to have the boat out possibly this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

bead
05-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I'll probably give GS or MPD a call later in the week, but I'm looking to get as much info as possible so I don't sound like too much of a jack ass :)its a must , i did it .also a droop , diverter & inducer is also a must with heavy boat. made my boat a lot better. go to MPD ,not G&S you'll just get smoke blown up your ars at G&S.

RandyH
05-30-2007, 07:31 PM
21 foot ultra stealth, 540 CI, spinning 5400 to 5500. B cut SS, Dominator, droop, preloader, 75 on GPS. All pump work by MPD. Dont have any before or after. If I have the time and money to burn , would like to spin it faster but not sure its worth tearing up my motor. Its fast enough to keep up around here.
RandyH

SB
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
You have a simple way to go- larger Impeller. Your not running a drag boat so put in a AA- cut your Rs to 4200 and you will gain across the board. The Hole shot and cruise speeds will be attained 400 to 500Rs less. You will give up a small amount of top end speed -yet your gas bill will be a bunch better. You don't need a Pre-loader or a blue print- If pump is tired get it rebuilt and get back to water.
Pops knows what he is talking about. GET A BIGGER IMPELLER. It is pretty simple. I have a big boat with stock 460 and an Agressor A. Very good on gas.
Do the impeller first.
Later, if you want to get slightly more complicated, increase compression a little.

SB
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
You have a simple way to go- larger Impeller. Your not running a drag boat so put in a AA- cut your Rs to 4200 and you will gain across the board. The Hole shot and cruise speeds will be attained 400 to 500Rs less. You will give up a small amount of top end speed -yet your gas bill will be a bunch better. You don't need a Pre-loader or a blue print- If pump is tired get it rebuilt and get back to water.
Pops knows what he is talking about. GET A BIGGER IMPELLER. It is pretty simple. I have a big boat with stock 460 and an Aggressor A. Very good on gas.
Do the impeller first.
Later, if you want to get slightly more complicated, increase compression a little.