PDA

View Full Version : One Bad 1970 GTO twin supercharged

david_396
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZoCCwoedE&mode=related&search= Can't be too efficient. 1600 hp?? :rolleyes:

pw_Tony
05-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Sickest GTO EVER!:devil: :devil:

RiverRatMike
05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
that is too cool!

HM
05-29-2007, 09:23 PM
The guy is going to get a forged crank when his budget allows. He should feel comfortable with 1300 HP to a cast crank. :D

BajaMike
05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I think it looks kinda stupid....those blowers make it way too top heavy....all that pully action probably reduce a lot of the horse power/torque....funny, they don't show it running down a strip....:idea:
I would say the owner has some size insecurities.......:D

BigBlockOldsJet
05-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Sickest GTO EVER!:devil: :devil:
Hardly...

RitcheyRch
05-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Pretty cool that it makes a lot of HP but kind of funny looking with one blower strapped to another.

73kona455
05-30-2007, 06:21 AM
what a joke.......thats as bad as the ricers....

Sleek-Jet
05-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I wonder if it has a carbon fiber hood... I hear that makes those cars way faster... :D

BADBLOWN572
05-30-2007, 07:00 AM
I think that guy is an idiot. :rolleyes: You can only force feed a motor so much. A nice 12-71 or 14-71 blower could easily make that kind of power. Boost is boost and it doesn't matter how you make it. Obviously he is not making it very efficiently. :(

MBMOSEBILT
05-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Badblown572 thats not the point he said he didn't have the money tho be the fastest just enough to be the most out ragest.

Racey
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
What a joke.... that thing is all show no go

BADBLOWN572
05-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Badblown572 thats not the point he said he didn't have the money tho be the fastest just enough to be the most out ragest.
Two 6-71 blowers would be far more expensive than a 12 or 14-71 blower. Not to mention less than 1/2 of the fabrication time. ;) As for the most outrageous, I think it is more like the biggest retard. :rolleyes:

yopengo
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Stupid thing to do… just to attract attention. :yuk:

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Let's all just put this into perspective here guys... I have seen probably 30 blown GTO's, some were very, very fast. The interior was clean on that rig, and I promise you that guy had more money invested in that crazy drive system for the two blowers than it would have cost to "build the motor right" in the first place. I don't know if you have checked on the price of huffers, but they aren't cheap. My guess is, that rig added $6-7K to the price of the ride. Paint looked nice, tub job looked clean...
...and we are all talking about it.
That was the point. I have seen that particular car on TV, magazines, car shows, YouTube, you name it. They car, and with it "Pypes" which was the only "sponsor" on the vehicle have gotten a ton of exposure for themselves. It is famous... a lot more so than the 30 or so other blown goats I have seen over the years.
Sure, I was picking it apart. Mismatched blowers make it look cobbed together, though I have seen plenty of people run twin roots superchargers to keep the air intake temperature low. I usually see them in a configuration like the quad-rotor though, but to each his own.
I thought the car looked sick, and was thinking of how trick it would have looked with only one big 12 on there.
In any case, we are talking about it, so he is the big winner. Mission Accomplished as they say...

yopengo
05-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Good point Froggy, just not my style. I like clean, fast…”done right” toys.

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Yah I also dont think it did it to be useful, just to get a crazy reaction. When you see a dual roots setup you think crazy, but atop one another a foot above the roof? That's just crazy. How's he supposed to see out the right side of the windshield? I still love it because of it's ridiculousness, but I also love shifter Karts with 600cc street bike motors!

Racey
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I think the guy probably had 2 blowers laying around and thats why he decided to run them both, probably scrounged alot of the parts for the motor that way, which isnt a bad thing. but i doubt anyone would go out and buy 2 different blowers to stack on top of each other...

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the guy probably had 2 blowers laying around and thats why he decided to run them both, probably scrounged alot of the parts for the motor that way, which isnt a bad thing. but i doubt anyone would go out and buy 2 different blowers to stack on top of each other...
Clearly, but they are commodities. He could have easily converted two perfectly good 6-71's into a single 12 or 14 financially. Add the price of the drive system and you would be way ahead. Even used blowers sell for $3K with drives. If it is clean, you can get $4K for it polished with a manifold.
It was for effect. And, let's face it... he is a redneck. Probably seemed like a great idea at the time.

Jbb
05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
It was for effect. And, let's face it... he is a redneck.
:p

mondorally
05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
And, let's face it... he is a redneck. Probably seemed like a great idea at the time.
"Hold my beer while I see if these line up"

Blown 472
05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
****ing stupid 80's prostreet throw back, gay is the word I would use for it.

DMOORE
05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Might not be my cup of tea. But then again, who am I? I guess that's what hot rodding is about. If not we all would be driving white accords.
Darrell.

Caljamr
05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
It reminds me of something you would see on the show "The Monkeys". :)

sleekcraft78
05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
That thing looks recockulous

RiverDave
05-30-2007, 10:38 AM
So if you take one compressor, and put it on top of another compressor the same size, then what's the 2nd compressor doing for you other then adding drag? Free wheeling air?
RD

mondorally
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
So if you take one compressor, and put it on top of another compressor the same size, then what's the 2nd compressor doing for you other then adding drag? Free wheeling air?
RD
Just getting the air warmed up (pun intended) for some hard work. You know, like stretching before jogging.
-Justin

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
RD
Negative... it will compress the air beyond what it takes in. Think of it as two-stage. If you have ambient going into the first one, and it builds 6# of boost at throttle, the second one is being fed 6# and outputs another 6 or so making 12. If the first is pulling 10# (totally possible) then you could see 20# under the second.
My compressor at work is a three stage, with real similar results. The first stage brings it to 90#, the second to 120# and the third to 150#. With a huge volume tank and big use, the compressor takes under a minute to jam up.

73kona455
05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
if it was a real effecient way to make horsepower i think we would see all the top fuel teams stacking blowers.....

RiverDave
05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Froggy, your compressor at work (3 Stage) works a little differently then this.
Near as I can tell, I think that second blower on this car is just taking compressed air, and pushing it through at the same rate as the first.
RD

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Froggy, your compressor at work (3 Stage) works a little differently then this.
Near as I can tell, I think that second blower on this car is just taking compressed air, and pushing it through at the same rate as the first.
RD
You need to sit down and think about that for a minute Dave.... by your rationalle, the second one could be doing all the work and it is just sucking air through the first one...
It is compressing the air going into it, whether you put ambient vacuum on top of it or higher pressure air. On a blower, for example, you make more pressure over "0" at sea level than at 5,000 feet. That is because you start with more pressure by a couple of pounds. Turbos, with their bypasses and wastegates are less encumbered by this because you ususally bypass everything you don't need, and you just bypass less at altitude.
If you add greater inlet pressure to the front side of any compressor, you will end up with a higher pressure out the other side.

Jbb
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
You need to sit down and think about that for a minute Dave.... by your rationalle, the second one could be doing all the work and it is just sucking air through the first one...
It is compressing the air going into it, whether you put ambient vacuum on top of it or higher pressure air. On a blower, for example, you make more pressure over "0" at sea level than at 5,000 feet. That is because you start with more pressure by a couple of pounds. Turbos, with their bypasses and wastegates are less encumbered by this because you ususally bypass everything you don't need, and you just bypass less at altitude.
If you add greater inlet pressure to the front side of any compressor, you will end up with a higher pressure out the other side.
Maybe Dave needs to get back to waxing my boat....and spend less energy ...thinking......wax on....wax off Lil Mr.......:D
RD SUX

Blown 472
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Negative... it will compress the air beyond what it takes in. Think of it as two-stage. If you have ambient going into the first one, and it builds 6# of boost at throttle, the second one is being fed 6# and outputs another 6 or so making 12. If the first is pulling 10# (totally possible) then you could see 20# under the second.
My compressor at work is a three stage, with real similar results. The first stage brings it to 90#, the second to 120# and the third to 150#. With a huge volume tank and big use, the compressor takes under a minute to jam up.
Never mind the restriction of the first blower?? or you could put a smaller pulley on the bottom blower to pull air thru the first one, or just not build a stupid ****ing car like that.

lucky
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
i can think of a few ***boat members whom we could place on top of the other"blowers" to force some hot air to the ***boat engine we call the forums :) :D

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Never mind the restriction of the first blower?? or you could put a smaller pulley on the bottom blower to pull air thru the first one, or just not build a stupid ****ing car like that.
The second won't see the first as a restriction, any more than the engine would if it wasn't there. The first has boost under it... period. The second one will increase that boost by whatever degree it is set up to increase it by.
I have seen some pretty stupid stuff on show cars before. I wouldn't be even slightly suprised to find that the top blower, the one with all the shit hanging off of it was completely empty inside and it was acting essentially as a carb spacer with drive pulleys off the front.
I have seen at least two cars with empty blowers that had carbs in them with Enderle hats on top and Pete Jackson gear drives for noise. Dumb, for sure but I guarantee that I was in the minority for onlookers that could tell. For me the giveaways were the way the butterflies were linked to a bellcrank going into the blower, and that the fuel system was nowhere near up to the aparent demands of the motor...
Saw the same thing on a studebaker... It happens.

Blown 472
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
The second won't see the first as a restriction, any more than the engine would if it wasn't there. The first has boost under it... period. The second one will increase that boost by whatever degree it is set up to increase it by.
I have seen some pretty stupid stuff on show cars before. I wouldn't be even slightly suprised to find that the top blower, the one with all the shit hanging off of it was completely empty inside and it was acting essentially as a carb spacer with drive pulleys off the front.
I have seen at least two cars with empty blowers that had carbs in them with Enderle hats on top and Pete Jackson gear drives for noise. Dumb, for sure but I guarantee that I was in the minority for onlookers that could tell. For me the giveaways were the way the butterflies were linked to a bellcrank going into the blower, and that the fuel system was nowhere near up to the aparent demands of the motor...
Saw the same thing on a studebaker... It happens.
Maybe I am not seeing it that way.
He should have put two turbos on it, then plumbed that to a enderle hat ontop of a blower, with n2o and nitro in the tank.

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
He should have put two turbos on it, then plumbed that to a enderle hat ontop of a blower, with n2o and nitro in the tank.
That has to be someones sig soon... :D

HM
05-30-2007, 01:26 PM
LOL...obviously, you failed physics. I have been watching your logic on this and wasn't going to post, but you are going down the route of the airplane on a treadmill. A blower does not have unlimited ability to make the same boost with total disregard for the atmosphere below it. Take for instance my 671 on my small block chevy on a stock 350. I had a pulley setup that made 8 lbs of boost. I rebuilt the motor with high flow heads, big valves, and the biggest blower cam they made and that same pulley setup only made 3 lbs of boost. Take the extreme example of a blower attempting to make boost into a vaccuum...won't happen. or just spinning the blower without it being mounted to a motor....won't make any boost...it will move a lot of air though. You have to have some type of environment to produce pressure, and if the environment below the blower is creating a vaccuum faster than the top blower can produce pressure, then the top blower will indeed act as a restrictor, because you also cannot ignore the environment above the blower as well.
So, I will say it outloud...Wes is wrong! Take that fooker! :D
I would be inclined to think the top blower is just empty.

HM
05-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh, and RD SUX!
The question is that if RD had a blower attached to his mouth...would he still suck? :D

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 01:52 PM
You have your parties muddled bro... I didn't fail physics, I never took it. :D
I see what you are getting at, but your logic is flawed. To increase pressure, you need to compress volume. The top blower is easy to do, because you have volume only limited by the airflow of the carbs... if you increase the volume going through the motor, you need to increase the volume going through the carbs, and the volume compressed per revolution (adjustable with pulleys) to see a similar boost number in the case you described. The lower blower has a tougher time, because in order to compress it, there has to be a volume of compressable gas above it that will allow it to increase the pressure, and I think you are right, that can't happen in this case without a higher flow compressor on top. Even if it was higher flow, or was pullied higher, you wouldn't have any reason to put on another compressor just to increase pressure, you would have done that already by the first one...
There is a situation where the bottom blower would be useful, but I can't figure it out right now. So, for the sake of argument, you are right, it won't do anything. Oh, Dave was right too I guess... In my model, I can make it further compress the air, but there is no need for it since the resistance provided by the motor (only moving so much air) would have built the pressure to the same point anyway. You would see an increase of mechanical loss though with the addition of it.
I guess that's one great reason all of the dual blower setups I have seen were mounted side by side... they both need atmospheric volume to do anything.

CARLSON-JET
05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't know about the positive effects of one blower stacked on another. But, I'm pretty sure Detroit had twin turbos feeding into an 871 supercharger on some of the V-871 series engines. I'm guessing there is a plus side to this "stacking effect". I think the WOW factor is a big enough statement to support this guys efforts. Good, bad or indifferent, It's his ride and if he thinks it is cool then so be it. A lot of poncho owners like daring to be different. Not everyone wants a 69 camero with a BBC & 4 speed.

Blown 472
05-30-2007, 02:38 PM
LOL...obviously, you failed physics. I have been watching your logic on this and wasn't going to post, but you are going down the route of the airplane on a treadmill. A blower does not have unlimited ability to make the same boost with total disregard for the atmosphere below it. Take for instance my 671 on my small block chevy on a stock 350. I had a pulley setup that made 8 lbs of boost. I rebuilt the motor with high flow heads, big valves, and the biggest blower cam they made and that same pulley setup only made 3 lbs of boost. Take the extreme example of a blower attempting to make boost into a vaccuum...won't happen. or just spinning the blower without it being mounted to a motor....won't make any boost...it will move a lot of air though. You have to have some type of environment to produce pressure, and if the environment below the blower is creating a vaccuum faster than the top blower can produce pressure, then the top blower will indeed act as a restrictor, because you also cannot ignore the environment above the blower as well.
So, I will say it outloud...Wes is wrong! Take that fooker! :D
I would be inclined to think the top blower is just empty.
Wheelllllllll, look at the big brain on brad, your a smart mother****er.

Jbb
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31958&stc=1&d=1180565035....:D

HM
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Wes you are exactly right there. Dual blowers work well when they are side by side. Not on top of each other. Think of it like electronics. If you have 2 loads wired in series you will increase your resistance but if you have them in parallel they both split the work and run more efficiently (that might not have sounded quiet right but the electronic fellas should know what I mean).
Well, depends on what you are trying to do with your electronics. There would be many reasons to run resistors in series, where there is no reason to run blowers in series other than to get a bunch of morons with no life to have an internet argument about. :D
Edit: In-series forced induction can work. There would be effiency added to the second blower, but there would be a limit. There would definitely be a balance of whether you are blowing too much into the second blower and attempting to pull from the first. The first blower would need to be able to maintain pressure thru varying throttle and load to the second blower. If it is not linear, then it would probably be setup for WOT and load encountered in typical use. As I try to wrap my brain around it...I would think this would be accomplished a bit easier by having a larger blower on top of a smaller blower. Think of it as going into inner space...btw, I am totally pissed that ride is gone at Disneyland. But, regardless...think of all the heat generated by two roots blowers in series.

Froggystyle
05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
You could also accomplish this with a 1471 stacked on top of a smaller blower. Think of it like going into Inner Space.....BTW, I am totally pissed that ride is no longer at Disneyland!!! Fookers!!!! :D
Like I said, if you had a larger blower creating more volume than the lower blower could vacate, you would have something that created additional pressure under the second one.
But, if you remove the second one, you will have a hugely increased pressure without the additional mechanical loss...

HM
05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Like I said, if you had a larger blower creating more volume than the lower blower could vacate, you would have something that created additional pressure under the second one.
But, if you remove the second one, you will have a hugely increased pressure without the additional mechanical loss...
I edited my first attempt to get what was in my head onto the computer.
If you removed the second one, you would have a huge increase in pressure...but I don't know if that would be equivelent to the combination. This would only be done for two reasons....1. Because it seemed cool at the time. (which is the case here) or 2. There is some kind of benefit by stepping up thru 2 blowers....like perhaps it would take less horsepower in a stepped up mode vs. a single compression which would be efficiency, but I think the heat generated by two roots blowers would be detrimental unless ran on alcohol or nitro. Also, most forced induction mechanics are designed to take ambient air pressure and pressurize it. Not saying that this would not work because that was not the design, god knows how many things have been accidentally invented or invented attempting to do the opposite (3M's life history), but I think the racing community has probably tried this a ton of times to find out it only looks cool...and only to a few people.

Blown 472
05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31958&stc=1&d=1180565035....:D
Pro Fairground