PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp issues.

Dominator Scott
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Well guys,as all of you know I pulled my Torker460 intake and Holley 800 carb and replaced it with a Weiand tunnel ram and dual Holley 600's. The one thing I noticed right away is the fact that the engine runs about 40 degrees warmer with the tunnel ram on it.
On the Torker460 intake it has 2 threaded holes in the front for water passage. One was used for the T-fitting to the headers and the other for the dump line and a block-off plate on the thermostat housing. The tunnel ram only has 1 threaded hole which is where the T-fitting is plumbed and my dump line is plumbed into a traditional 2 nipple thermostat housing.(One for the dump line and the other is used for the temp sending unit.
Before the tunnel ram the motor ran at 140-150 degrees at idle. Now it runs at 180 degrees at idle and gets up to this temp much faster than ever before.
Here is a before and after pics for reference.
What would be the cause of this and is it something I should be concerned with?:confused:

Dominator Scott
05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
No idea's? Not even an educated guess?:confused:

Taylorman
05-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Is it possible that your temp sensor location where its mounted is getting a different reading than before? I dont see how you can get different temp just from an intake change unless you plumbing changed the water flow through the engine.

oldbuck40
05-30-2007, 11:47 AM
No idea's? Not even an educated guess?:confused:
Does it get any higher than 180? if not i wouldnt worry about it!

Dominator Scott
05-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Does it get any higher than 180? if not i wouldnt worry about it!
It will climb to 190-195 after I bring it to an idle from romping the snot out of it. But the moment I come off idle to about 1500RPM's it will cool right back down to about 170-180 range and be fine.
I wondered about the t-stat housing maybe causing the temp sender to give a false reading.