PDA

View Full Version : My Heads

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 07:54 AM
I pulled my valve covers off this weeeknd to see what kind of heads I have. The numbers on the casting were as follow:
CFD
GM1
Anyone know what I have?

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Very good heads. Rect ports, right?

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
disco_charger:
Very good heads. Rect ports, right?Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Nice alluminum roller rockers installed too...

Jordy
09-09-2002, 08:06 AM
6272990....70-up...rect...OPEN...454 service replacement, used on some MKIV crate engines, 118cc chamber
That is what you have right there chief.
Jordy :D

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 08:13 AM
jordanpaulk:
6272990....70-up...rect...OPEN...454 service replacement, used on some MKIV crate engines, 118cc chamber
Jordy :D Well, how does it rank? Are they decent?

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 08:22 AM
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D By the way, when I pulled off the valve covers, there were little beads of water all over the rockers. That can't be normal, can it? Perhaps a little water in the oil? No matter, I changed the oil. I really reaked like gasoline also. I think it got contaminated through all this carburator troubleshooting and dumping gallons of fuel into the cans when the bowls were flooding. I'll see if it's a real leakdown issue if it still smells next time I change it....
J

Jordy
09-09-2002, 08:23 AM
78Eliminator:
Well, how does it rank? Are they decent?118cc open chamber heads with rectangle ports are very decent heads. I wouldn't complain at all. I have these same heads, but with oval ports on my Schiada and that little boat would move out. I wouldn't do anything with them other than maybe have the ports cleaned up a little if they haven't been already.

Hotcrusader76
09-09-2002, 08:24 AM
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D Well, how does it rank? Are they decent?Awesome heads for high reving RPM's. Most have the large oval ports and do just fine up to 6K, but with rect.ports your potential for 8K is very realistic.
Running NOS with that set-up would be very....well....scary if not down right awesome!

Jordy
09-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Running NOS with that set-up would be very....well....scary if not down right awesome!Dammit Ty, I am trying to talk him out of the gas... work with me here.

Froggystyle
09-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Those are the same heads I had on my Daytona with the blower. Great heads, and they will turn revs for sure. I pocket-ported them, unshrouded the valve and scored the intake for turbulence, port-matched them and called it a day.
The condensation is perfectly normal on an engine running close to stoiciometric (sp?) efficiency. You will get condensation on the intake, and in hot weather you will get condensation under the valve cover. The redneck (but it works!) answer to this is at the end of your trip, close down your water inlet on your last pass back to camp until your oil temp gets over 250or a little while. This will bake off any water in the engine, and 250s not too high for short periods. The other possible is that your blown check valve was putting header coolant water into the valve cover. You do have injected headers, right?
The gas in the oil is my main concern. Make sure you tear apart your oil filter and check it. There should be very minimal debris inside of the filter medium, and all should resemble a little bit of babbit material. If you have "real" metal in there, or anything magnetic that means your fuel wiping your cylinders has resulted in some scoring of the walls/rings. That could be a motor removal.
Glad you found part one of your problem.
Squirts up!

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 08:45 AM
Froggystyle:
Make sure you tear apart your oil filter and check it. There should be very minimal debris inside of the filter medium, and all should resemble a little bit of babbit material. If you have "real" metal in there, or anything magnetic that means your fuel wiping your cylinders has resulted in some scoring of the walls/rings.Ok. I'll do the filter analysis tonight and let you know......

Hotcrusader76
09-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Froggystyle:
The condensation is perfectly normal on an engine running close to stoiciometric (sp?) efficiency. You will get condensation on the intake, and in hot weather you will get condensation under the valve cover. The redneck (but it works!) answer to this is at the end of your trip, close down your water inlet on your last pass back to camp until your oil temp gets over 250or a little while. This will bake off any water in the engine, and 250s not too high for short periods. The other possible is that your blown check valve was putting header coolant water into the valve cover. You do have injected headers, right?
That is called "distillation" (sp?). It's a scientific method of separating two homogeneous substances from a mixture useing heat as the energy to evaporate the water. The water turns to a gas before the oil does (212'F), thus separating the two. Just some useless wisdom!
Alot cheaper than an Lucas Oil change though... :D

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Hey 78, you don't need them heads, go buy some $2000 Worlds and sell me those crappy 990's for $200. See how cool I am trying to help you out! wink
Disco

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Distillation? Pappy's got one of them in the back yard. Shiznit will make you go blind if ya drink enough...

Hotcrusader76
09-09-2002, 09:13 AM
disco_charger:
Distillation? Pappy's got one of them in the back yard. Shiznit will make you go blind if ya drink enough...BINGO.....and the rednecks perfected it! LOL....I should no!
LOL

MikeF
09-09-2002, 09:17 AM
J, These are the same heads I have on my engine. There is not much that you need to do to make these do any more than you need with your present combination. These heads are good for more RPM so there should be no reason to change to any other in the future (other than running a higher comp w/ aluminum heads on pump gas). On my heads, the bowls have been smoothed out, 3 angle seat cut, polished chambers, 2.25 intake and heat crossover welded shut.
2 cents......the oil should have been changed after all the fuel went into the engine w/o lighting it :rolleyes: .
Did you find a # on the piston to find the compression ratio? :confused: Mike

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Hotcrusader76:
disco_charger:
Distillation? Pappy's got one of them in the back yard. Shiznit will make you go blind if ya drink enough...BINGO.....and the rednecks perfected it! LOL....I should no!
LOLHoly cow, no wonder you guys are always having sex with your sister. You can't tell the difference when you're blind.... :D
[ September 09, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 09:22 AM
MikeF:
2 cents......the oil should have been changed after all the fuel went into the engine w/o lighting it :rolleyes: .
Did you find a # on the piston to find the compression ratio? :confused: MikeI know, I know. Just lucky that I didn't do any damage with the thin oil. Anyway, hindsight is always 20/20.
You want me to pull the heads completely off to look at the pistons????

MikeF
09-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Pull a plug and see if you can see it. TRW have the # embossed into the crown. Take a look :D .

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 09:29 AM
MikeF:
Pull a plug and see if you can see it. TRW have the # embossed into the crown. Take a look :D .Which can has the best view?

MikeF
09-09-2002, 09:30 AM

Hotcrusader76
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
disco_charger:
LOLHoly cow, no wonder you guys are always having sex with your sister. You can't tell the difference when you're blind.... :D No No NO Justin not sister.....Cousins.....You should know that...?? :D

disco_charger
Aaaaa, the whole motor is jacked! I'll give you $400 for the whole mess. You can get someone to build you a no headache motor, and I'll take that stress out of your life, AND give you $400. I AM A DAMN PRINCE! I can not believe what a great guy/problem solver I have become in my old age.
Disco

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Hotcrusader76:
No No NO Justin not sister.....Cousins.....You should know that...?? :D Cheap shot...

78Eliminator
09-09-2002, 09:34 AM
disco_charger:
Aaaaa, the whole motor is jacked! I'll give you $400 for the whole mess. You can get someone to build you a no headache motor, and I'll take that stress out of your life, AND give you $400. I AM A DAMN PRINCE! I can not believe what a great guy/problem solver I have become in my old age.
Disco$400! You are a true friend, looking out for my best interests. Heck with $400 I can change the oil almost three times, but then again you'll have the motor so I wont have too.....
Will you throw in a couple oars? I can just have someone drop me off up river and do a little floatilla....
Can I get a OUI without an engine?
Justin

Rubths
09-09-2002, 09:39 AM
990's are great heads, if you remember several months back I was looking for a set when my motor came apart and wasted the nice 990's I had but couldnt find anyone that wanted to part with a set. I actually lucked out not finding any becuase I found someone advertising brand new merlins that had been ported and polished to go on a blower motor that the guy decided not to build, I stole them for $900.00 complete with valves and springs ready to go! The only down side is my motor is at 8.5-1 insted of the 9.5-1 I wanted becuase the heads were chambered for a blower motor.
If theres nothing wrong with your heads dont do anything with them!

Jordy
09-09-2002, 09:45 AM
78Eliminator:
Will you throw in a couple oars? I can just have someone drop me off up river and do a little floatilla....
Can I get a OUI without an engine?
JustinDamn, DC where were you when I was having motor troubles. I guess you just like Justin more...
As far as the no motor deal, I considered it J. Just think about all the extra room for coolers, even a bbq if you wanted to go that route. Just keep Gig near by to tow you where you want to go.
OUI with no motor? Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Just another case of the man trying to keep you down. Hell, in AZ you can get a DUI on a horse, even if the horse hasn't been drinking. LOL

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 09:45 AM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
No No NO Justin not sister.....Cousins.....You should know that...?? :D Cheap shot...It says you live in San Diego, not the 909! What in the hell is going on...That's our domain. Stick to your $4 coffee, drive through bagel huts, Lexus driving fancy pants living, and leave the redneck stuff to the boys of the IE!
Disco "the cousin loving, tobaccy chewin, meth brewin, white lightning drinking, my family tree has some straight lines in it" Charger

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Jordy, I'll stil give you $400 for your motor :)
Disco

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Jordy? $410?

Jordy
09-09-2002, 10:31 AM
disco_charger:
Jordy? $410?Getting closer... another decimal place and we'll talk. $400 was the end of April motor is locked up price...

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Locked up? A little Marvel Mystery oil, good as new!
Disco

Screaming Pete
09-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Justin, Put an OUTBOARD on it and a bigger gas tank and BLAST UP RIVER :p LOL

Clown
09-10-2002, 02:08 PM
NO NO NO what your going to want to do is go and talk to my BUDDIE CARL FOLTZ he'll give you a killer set of his old 990s that he welded up the exhaust port on to make them flow unbeliveable #### Oh I almost forget this was 25 years ago , Merlin makes those heads now!! eek! eek!

cyclone
09-11-2002, 12:14 PM
you guys are killin me. I'll give you 50 cents and some envelopes for your motor. YOu can use the envelopes to mail the payments to the man for your newer, much better motor.