PDA

View Full Version : mythical 80mph jet Boats???

Statue
05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
hey guys, everyone has always been very helpful when I have questions regarding my 21' sled of a jet boat. But, It seems like just about everyone on here has 80mph jets? Where are they??? I have seen a few fast blown race type boats that haul A$$ but most of the open header tunnel ram type boats don't seem too fast in person, maybe an honest 60ish. In fact my 18' Whacka Cole seems faster then most by 20+mph. When and where do I go to run against some fast jets? They certainly aren't on Havasu or the Parker Strip.

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
craigslist is where the 80-90mph boats are and ebay is 100 and up :D :D

Statue
05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I understand the CL and Ebay BS, but I read a lot of it here also.
I'm sure 396 will have something to say.......

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
not to take anything away from anyone local but besides for being at the races, i've only witnessed 1 local jetboat go 80 on radar and on the lake we were at(lake pleasant) it looked scary as shit :D

76miller
05-30-2007, 07:30 PM
This should get good ! Anyone....Anyone?????

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:32 PM
just wanted to add that im not saying there isn't any 80+ boats here in phx, just that i've only witnessed 1 reach it on the lake that i know for sure.

BrendellaJet
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
go to blythe, you will see them. You have to remember, the members of ***boat are a relatively small part of the boating scene. There are lots of other boats out there that are pretty stock and are not very fast...
In 2 weeks I hope to get my 100 mph jet on the water for the first time in over 4 years...If you want to race me with your whacka boat let me know and it will be on!:D

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
not to take anything away from anyone local but besides for being at the races, i've only witnessed 1 local jetboat go 80 on radar and on the lake we were at(lake pleasant) it looked scary as shit :D
come to okla. and see all ya want. my taylor sj would run 82 with a loose pump, 81 after i overhauled it mad: got a video if ya want to see it run:D i sold in back in late aug to buy my tx-19 condor which should do 95+ pretty easily with the 800+hp i'm sticking in it:devil:

Fast Freddy
05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
hey guys, everyone has always been very helpful when I have questions regarding my 21' sled of a jet boat. But, It seems like just about everyone on here has 80mph jets? Where are they??? I have seen a few fast blown race type boats that haul A$$ but most of the open header tunnel ram type boats don't seem too fast in person, maybe an honest 60ish. In fact my 18' Whacka Cole seems faster then most by 20+mph. When and where do I go to run against some fast jets? They certainly aren't on Havasu or the Parker Strip.
your a year late and $15K short..............cuz i sold mine last year

W.O.T
05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
This should get good ! Anyone....Anyone?????
i agree this could be good.

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
come to okla. and see all ya want. my taylor sj would run 82 with a loose pump, 81 after i overhauled it:mad: got a video if ya want to see it run:D i sold in back in late aug to buy my tx-19 condor which should do 95+ pretty easily with the 800+hp i'm sticking in it:devil:
thats cool but to be honest going that fast on the lake really doesn't do anything for me:D:D

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
thats cool but to be honest going that fast on the lake really doesn't do anything for me
you've never been real fast in a 18ft lake v then:D 80 feels like 120mph

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 07:42 PM
2 sj's goin at it, mine's the 1 out frt. wish i had more vids of that boat, but i just have this 1, i miss her:(
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/jbt21479/?action=view&current=tomandtravisracempg.flv

NUTHIN
05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
my family ski boat tows the kids around all day, boat weighs a ton. but when im not fishing or having the dog jump off the bow to get the ball, hell.. stick my foot in it and it hits 80mph. no tunnel ram or chrome headers here.

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
you've never been real fast in a 18ft lake v then:D 80 feels like 120mph
probably not :) ...hell i don't even know how fast my boat is, i just slow down when the eyes start to water or when the ole lady starts bitching :D :D

Statue
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Brendellajet, if your boat will run 100 plus, you win. Simple as that. Just wondering why all the fast "wanna race me", "my boat has 800HP" guys are fixin' to put the engine in or will have it done in the next month or so? Is it reliability issues that they can only run 100mph once? My Whacka boat will run at 6200rpm, 26pitch stainless prop all weekend long. I estimate at around 85 or so.

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
probably not :) ...hell i don't even know how fast my boat is, i just slow down when the eyes start to water or when the ole lady starts bitching :D :D
lol:D i can relate buddy:D

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Brendellajet, if your boat will run 100 plus, you win. Simple as that. Just wondering why all the fast "wanna race me", "my boat has 800HP" guys are fixin' to put the engine in or will have it done in the next month or so? Is it reliability issues that they can only run 100mph once? My Whacka boat will run at 6200rpm, 26pitch stainless prop all weekend long. I estimate at around 85 or so.
popcorn time :D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
lol:D i can relate buddy:D
we are not alone.... i'm sure there are more of us out there :D :D

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 07:59 PM
my boat should have @840-860hp and all i'll have to do is check valves lash every 7-8hrs maybe, change the oil 2-3times a season(@20-24hrs a season on the motor). the reason i'm still finishing mine up is i bought a 7500 boat with a "new roller 468" and fresh pump. i tear into the engine alittle and notice things wrong, pull it out and built my own. figured i'd check the pump while the mill was out and yep, old cracked impellor with holes in it:mad: so rebuilt it myself. decided to do carpet while everything was out, floor was weak so it had to come out:mad: . it the never ending story of someone trusting a seller and taking it in da axx:rolleyes: 7500 for the boat and another 6500-7k later i've got a fresh 1987 tx-19 condor restored with a low maintence blower motor setting in back:devil: had to do all the work and paying for all the upgrades within 5-6months which is a biatch, but i'll be on the water next weekend and it'll all be worth it;)

FOURQ
05-30-2007, 08:00 PM
bring it to Havasu during the week and look me up I will run with ya :)

W.O.T
05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
i had an outboard boat that was just about as fast as my jet, but i have way more fun in my jet boat. i agree lots of people claim some crazy numbers with their jet boats.

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 08:15 PM
i had an outboard boat that was just about as fast as my jet, but i have way more fun in my jet boat. i agree lots of people claim some crazy numbers with their jet boats.
you mean like this wacka guy's post:
My Whacka boat will run at 6200rpm, 26pitch stainless prop all weekend long. I estimate at around 85 or so.
estimate:D i can remember how crushed i was when i 1st bought my gps. by my brand new 85mph speedo kit, i estimated i was runnin 90mph.damn gps:mad: :D :D :D :D lol

Statue
05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
I'll be in laughlin the 17th, 18th and 19th. I may cruise havasu on Tuesday before I head home.

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
you mean like this wacka guy's post:
My Whacka boat will run at 6200rpm, 26pitch stainless prop all weekend long. I estimate at around 85 or so.
estimate:D i can remember how crushed i was when i 1st bought my gps. by my brand new 85mph speedo kit, i estimated i was runnin 90mph.damn gps:mad: :D :D :D :D lol
Word Brother! The 1st time we took out my buddy's 22' Eliminator with a 300 Black Max off the back, pickle, he thought his speedo was wrong! Nope, right on the money at 68mph according to GPS...muhaha

LuckyDaze
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I did 80 on the way back from the river. :)
~Brian

Statue
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't know that it runs 80's, but I'm not BSing you when I say that it is substancially faster then most of the 70's Chrome Header, nowhere to sit typical Jet boats. Your boys eliminator was F@@ked up if it only ran 63 with a 300 Merc. 225 optimax Bass boats run harder then that. Surely you'll agree.
I have GPS'd my mini daycruiser and it runs 47.6, so i know how humbling gps is.
Surely there's a formula that would get you pretty close on mph given the prop pitch and the engine rpm. The hull weighs in at about 450lbs.

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I'll be in laughlin the 17th, 18th and 19th. I may cruise havasu on Tuesday before I head home.
just messin with ya bro:D
get a gps and your top numbers. i've never seen a water pickup speedo read rite over 70mph unless it had a awesome pick-up and the gauge was high dolla$$$$$. i figured my sj would run 85mph, boat a brand new mid level speedo kit for up to 85mph, and 1st time i went out after the major overhaul of the boat, i could wrap the speedo way past 85mph and it'd start pissin water onto my legs:D i was stoked!! got my nitrous tanks filled, bought a gps with a max setting, had plenty of satelitte signal so i made a full nitrous pass. 80.5mph:mad: damn, speedo was on the peg past 85mph:D even off the nitrous, it'd read 85mph+ while my gps said 75-76mph.

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know that it runs 80's, but I'm not BSing you when I say that it is substancially faster then most of the 70's Chrome Header, nowhere to sit typical Jet boats. Your boys eliminator was F@@ked up if it only ran 63 with a 300 Merc. 225 optimax Bass boats run harder then that. Surely you'll agree.
I have GPS'd my mini daycruiser and it runs 47.6, so i know how humbling gps is.
Surely there's a formula that would get you pretty close on mph given the prop pitch and the engine rpm. The hull weighs in at about 450lbs.
i agree. lots of bling , no zing boats around my neck-o-woods too.its fun sawing em off though, isn't it:D always a ego booster:devil:

pw_Tony
05-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Yea we got my buddy's Merc up to bout 76mph or so now... just had to learn how to drive it... but gps is a bitch, especially when it tells me my Daycruiser wont get past 54mph:mad: :devil:

Coded-Dude
05-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been 88 in an Outboard, and 115 in a V-drive, never hit such speeds in a Jet, but I plan to very soon! :D

widowmaker
05-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Fast Boats???
I have to say, I have heard just about everyone say how fast they stuff is and yet I have to rebuke with a couple of simple facts.
I have a lightweight 1981 Eliminator Daytona 1x4 stringers and no plywood in the transom. two seats and two 15 gallon tanks. Everything possible done to the pump. The boat runs right at 81mph.... This is turning a B impeller 5600rpms. I have raced several boats that claim to have more horsepower and go faster. And I have stomped they guts out.
Not to say that there are not a lot of them out there but my boat is definitely on a diet and for someone to tell me that they have a full weight 18' jet boat with full interior, carpet, steel heads, 600hp,no ride plate, no droop, bla bla bla.........whatever that is going to go 80plus mph. I would like to say they are full of it.
I should start loaning them my lie detector(GPS) and watch them weep

Statue
05-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it is. The truth is, I didn't even take my whacka out last year, the slow fuel guzzling 460 jet is hands down funner to drive. I didn't mean to start an outboard vs. jet debate anyway, I just want to see some jets that actually put up the numbers that people claim. I know my boat isn't the fastest on river, but it's probably in top 10%. However, i have had nothing but problems with my jet. first the engine let go, then I had to replace the wiring harness (it was a spliced tigether mess) and then this last weekend out at havasu the pump locked up. Impellar is apparently into the wear ring. looking at another $1k or so I'm sure.

NUTHIN
05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Fast Boats???
I have to say, I have heard just about everyone say how fast they stuff is and yet I have to rebuke with a couple of simple facts.
I have a lightweight 1981 Eliminator Daytona 1x4 stringers and no plywood in the transom. two seats and two 15 gallon tanks. Everything possible done to the pump. The boat runs right at 81mph.... This is turning a B impeller 5600rpms. I have raced several boats that claim to have more horsepower and go faster. And I have stomped they guts out.
Not to say that there are not a lot of them out there but my boat is definitely on a diet and for someone to tell me that they have a full weight 18' jet boat with full interior, carpet, steel heads, 600hp,no ride plate, no droop, bla bla bla.........whatever that is going to go 80plus mph. I would like to say they are full of it.
WELP I am one of those covered motor, iron headed 750hp, threw trans exhaust 80+ mph liars.

IMPATIENT 1
05-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Fast Boats???
i could get 80 with my full interiored, carpeted, iron headed bbf with 900+hp on the 300hp shot:D i had alot in the pump, and alot of nitrous to do it though, that's why i sold it and got a gullwing;) :D

NUTHIN
05-30-2007, 08:50 PM
more fun having people not believe you! Way more fun! its just not possible for my family boat to achieve them speeds.. ever..:D

Coded-Dude
05-30-2007, 08:53 PM
19'? Thats almost the exact same boat I went 88 in this weekend.
4 seats, full interior, 2.5L Outboard - but my buddy doesn't like riding more tha 2 peeps in it with GPS.
(it hurts his feelings....:devil: )
Anywho, one of the fastest boat I "saw" this weekend(at CFW) was also an Eliminator...........Jet.
ALthough the only people he was racing were other jets, since everybody else("fast boats") was busy racing at RedBluff!
But with 4 people in his ride and the Jet-O-Vator pointing pretty much straight up, he was still embarassing every other jet on the water. A sight to see for sure!

QuickJet
05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
This super clean full interiored Bahner ran 83 mph with a stock pump, Iron heads and a low compression BBC. It now has a droop and a new intake loader and it runs awesome!!
It's for sale too by the way ;)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10278P5270013-med.JPG

76miller
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Check your pm's. 76miller

76miller
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't care how fast any boat goes, if theres a weed whacker on the back of that piece! Those damn things sound like my girlfriends honda civic !

cyclone
05-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Fast Boats???
horsepower is only half the battle with a jet pump. hardware set up and bottom tuning is the other half. You may have all the trick massaging in the world done to you jet but if the water supply isn't adequate then yeah, your boat might not be that fast even if it is a lightweight.
the shape of the keel is key to going fast with a jet...

Saab
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
If you wanna go fast with a jet its lots of time, lots of money, or lots of both. Maybe you dont see any fast jet boats cause you dont go to jet spots on the river. Parker is too chopped up to run. If you wanna run over 80 in two foot chop I wouldnt recomend a jet boat with 4" of freeboard. Maybe if you came down a lil farther south you would see the fast boats. My boat isnt fast by any means, but it's a lot more fun to look at or listen to than a whacker. You cant beat cool I guess.

RiverRacer
05-30-2007, 10:52 PM
You should come down to Lost Lake(30 miles N of Blythe on Hwy 95- Intake Blvd) on July 4th and whip up on all the "wanna race me", "my boat has 800 HP" guys that will be there. Can't wait to see the action. I'll be watching from the bluff as you roll by basking in the warm glow of victory. RR

widowmaker
05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
horsepower is only half the battle with a jet pump. hardware set up and bottom tuning is the other half. You may have all the trick massaging in the world done to you jet but if the water supply isn't adequate then yeah, your boat might not be that fast even if it is a lightweight.
the shape of the keel is key to going fast with a jet...
Well put! On that note my daytona is being worked on as we speak and having a rounded keel installed. I should be able to pick it up next week. I'll be interested to see how it runs with the new bottom. My new motor is also on its way. A zz502 short block, solid roller cam, AFR heads. I'm hoping to be in the 700hp range.
Cyclone, this will probably be close to what you were running when you built your motor. How did your boat perform with that motor?

MudPumper
05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
You arent hanging out in the right spots, lots of 90 and 100+ MPH boats on the lower river.
Fast Boats???
My last boat was a full weight 18, full interior, steel head 485 hp, no ride plate boat that ran 80. All it had was pump work with a loader, droop, and diverter. So yes it can be done, and no, a lot of boats are not capable of it because they don't take the time to play with setup and pump work.

LakesOnly
05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
This boat is a non-tunnel, v-hull boat which has an all iron Ford engine with HP in the mere 500's, a stock internals jet pump with snoot and diverter...not even a shoe or ride plate in this boat and it managed 85+ GPS on more than one occasion.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5657CBBB_04_Pass_1A.jpg
It's all about proper overall setup, lots of test & tune, etc.
LO

HaulinAss
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Fast Boats???
Well I have all that you mentioned.The full interior,the iron heads,the full carpet,the MAYBE if im lucky 600hp,did i mention IF im lucky.It has NO ride plate and NO shoe.Although its a 19ft boat you said 18 so its actually a ft longer and that much more weight.I do have a droop however.Id like to run my boat with your supplied gps and show you how its runs over 80mph no problem in or around a 1/4 mile not a 1/2 mile or a mile run :D .Ill be at CFW Fathers Day weeked so if you are interested in proving your theory and me wrong look me up!
BTW the Boat is for sale as well!
Here is the link with pics so you know what boat to look for ;)
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152146

HaulinAss
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
This boat is a non-tunnel, v-hull boat which has an all iron Ford engine with HP in the mere 500's, a stock internals jet pump with snoot and diverter...not even a shoe or ride plate in this boat and it managed 85+ GPS on more than one occasion.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5657CBBB_04_Pass_1A.jpg
It's all about proper overall setup, lots of test & tune, etc.
LO
Exactly!
Mountain View eh? I just moved here a few months ago

zudnic
05-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Here is the link with pics so you know what boat to look for ;)
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152146
Nicest in the spam section, posting so I can remember to skype my Dad who wants a jet as well!!!! :idea:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Just curious to see why you called me out??? :confused:
My Kachina ran 85 with a all iron BBC with a cast crank,2 bolt main and all stock internals. Oh and did I mention that the pump was stock:idea:
Funny how the guy I sold it to on here put a stock BBC in it and ran 70! He ran it with a shoe,no diverter, blueprinted bottom and no tunning. That hull weighs around 700-750lbs.
So why call me out?? Please elabotare..........

roostwear
05-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Fast Boats???
I wouldn't try to tell you that. I CAN tell you that an 18' open bow, closed engine, Berk E pump, thru transom family boat does 75 day in, day out. Those damn 80 mph boats are all liars....:D

ck7684
05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Hmmm...my stock 16ft Cobrajet does a GPS'd 70 with 3 people on board. Not sure what it will do with the new engine and rebuilt pump. Higher top end speeds with a prop doesnt surprise me, but from a dead stop, from my experience, will smoke most of 'em quite easily. Add in the responsive handling, the killer sound of a BB, not to mention the "WOW" factor of having a BB in there and it makes for all around way more fun, which is what I've got the boat for anyways!! :D

Fast Freddy
05-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Fast Boats???
my boat weighed in at a hefty 1,800 lbs with its open bow, full weight interior, 1"+ thick hull and 2X6 full length stringers. i had two 20 gallon tanks and my boat has hauled 6 people around at apache lake with 2 full coolers of beer on board. my pump was not set back and i had no droop snoot either. i ran an A-B cut impeller. my engine was only makin a total of 650 hp with the 100 shot of nitrous i used. at the 2001 IHBA world finals of drag boat racing i took 2nd place in the river racer class with a 11.89 @ 86.9 mph. i broke out of the 12 second class and lost for going to fast.
the fact is that some boats are just faster then other boats regardless of how light they are or how much power they are makin or how may mods they have done to their jet. get over it.......

SB
05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Fast Boats???
A B impeller at 5600 is 475 hp. Your 81 mph is not bad.
There are few jet boats (heck, all boats) that really go over 60 mph, very few over 80. The people here are unusual, not to say weird, in that they, go fast, know how to go fast, and will spend all winter working on getting an extra 2-3 mph.
I do about 55 mph. :D

Bahner tunnel
05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Fast Boats???
I have a full interior, bumpin system, covered motor, 50 gallon of gas tank pig 1998 Daytona. It is on it's 3rd trip in the water with zero set up . I top end porpuse with 4 people at El Cap to 82.9 mph on a gps with about a 1/2 tank in it. I had roughlty 900lbs in the seats total, 290lb of being myself.
I would say the boat weights 1800lbs with my iron headed n/a 496 ,34 total timing with black plugs ( a little rich ) on pump gas , single 1150 Dominator. I pull a "B" w/inducer to 6100 rpm. The pump is fresh but the set up is not dailed, top end porpose,possibly wrong loader/ride plate angle. Nice out of the whole to mid pull though. I feel it rides flat unless there is a heavy head wind . Tha last picture is from the river with my brother driving, it is breaking water at the drivers seat and I think he was on it.
I feel I can get it to 85-86 by myself without any passengers onboard. Then I will play with a 200hp plate to try for mid 90's later this season, the motor was built to take the hit.
This mythical 80+ lake boat will be at El Cap this sunday , minus the 3 passengers :D

miketsouth
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Here are two mythical 80+mph jets from the Right Coast.
21 daytona type tunnel....87mph last saturday on 87 octane...slowed to 25% for diagnostic purposes
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/katiejet/pax07may.wmv
it will be at Lake Anna, Va next week, with improvements.
here is another Right Coast mythical 85mph 89 river gas 350 small block...stock bore. Cheyenne type tunnel.
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=585983
it will be at Lake Anna, Va next week with 150 shot, and adjustments and FAKETHISAINTGONNALIKEIT
oh yeah, they are considered slow.

Bahner tunnel
05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Very nice, care to share any set info to a fellow sled driver?:D

Big Proppa
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
80 - down river 2 people full upholstery 2 half tanks of gas was already rollin pretty good when i nailed it for 6 or 7 seconds. I was happy, wont be trying to push it any harder
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/16Spectra_002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/16Spectra_003.jpg
Thanks to Tom Papp and Dave at DNE of course

pw_Tony
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
80 - down river 2 people full upholstery 2 half tanks of gas was already rollin pretty good when i nailed it for 6 or 7 seconds. I was happy, wont be trying to push it any harder
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/16Spectra_002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/medium/16Spectra_003.jpg
Thanks to Tom Papp and Dave at DNE of course
Is that with the motor down tuned? What kind of pumpwork do you have? No one believes I can get my Spectra up to 70 with a blower and what not that's why I'm askin...

widowmaker
05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
I knew that post would start some sh!t!!! F*&cking great I love to hear all the stories. Keep them coming!!

moneysucker
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Come to power tour. Take your pick who you want to run. My GF will drive if we are only doing 80.

moneysucker
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
I have a full interior, bumpin system, covered motor, 50 gallon of gas tank pig 1998 Daytona. It is on it's 3rd trip in the water with zero set up . I top end porpuse with 4 people at El Cap to 82.9 mph on a gps with about a 1/2 tank in it. I had roughlty 900lbs in the seats total, 290lb of being myself.
I would say the boat weights 1800lbs with my iron headed n/a 496 ,34 total timing with black plugs ( a little rich ) on pump gas , single 1150 Dominator. I pull a "B" w/inducer to 6100 rpm. The pump is fresh but the set up is not dailed, top end porpose,possibly wrong loader/ride plate angle. Nice out of the whole to mid pull though. I feel it rides flat unless there is a heavy head wind . Tha last picture is from the river with my brother driving, it is breaking water at the drivers seat and I think he was on it.
I feel I can get it to 85-86 by myself without any passengers onboard. Then I will play with a 200hp plate to try for mid 90's later this season, the motor was built to take the hit.
This mythical 80+ lake boat will be at El Cap this sunday , minus the 3 passengers :D
I know that is not true because the speed limit on El Cap is 35 mph. We take the radar gun out sometimes to make sure we are all under. That is whare I ran 100 for the first time. I wish my open bow would do a decent speed but the handling of it makes me want to keep it the way it is. 52.5 mph. The guy I bought it from said it did 75 on GPS. I knew he was lying when I bought it, towed it strait from his house to the lake to test and pulled 52.5. We will have to hook up on the lake when yours is done. I hear that them not allowing wake barges has made san V way better but I still need to investigate.

widowmaker
05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm not claiming to have a great setup or a fast boat, but I do know that for what I've got I'm fairly efficient with only 475hp, or 5600rpm on a B impeller.
I did have to laugh to myself the other day at the river when someone who pulled up along side at the river with a 21' Hallett with a jet and a stock zz502 claimed it when 80. That was a good one:D

cyclone
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Well put! On that note my daytona is being worked on as we speak and having a rounded keel installed. I should be able to pick it up next week. I'll be interested to see how it runs with the new bottom. My new motor is also on its way. A zz502 short block, solid roller cam, AFR heads. I'm hoping to be in the 700hp range.
Cyclone, this will probably be close to what you were running when you built your motor. How did your boat perform with that motor?
my old 502 got my Rogers v-bottom to run near 94 mph and change. the pump was set back and blueprinted and the boat was/is a tank. motor made a little over 700hp. your new engine should have you going at least that fast in that tunnel of yours if you can keep the pump loaded at speed.

Bahner tunnel
06-01-2007, 04:57 AM
I know that is not true because the speed limit on El Cap is 35 mph. We take the radar gun out sometimes to make sure we are all under. That is whare I ran 100 for the first time. I wish my open bow would do a decent speed but the handling of it makes me want to keep it the way it is. 52.5 mph. The guy I bought it from said it did 75 on GPS. I knew he was lying when I bought it, towed it strait from his house to the lake to test and pulled 52.5. We will have to hook up on the lake when yours is done. I hear that them not allowing wake barges has made san V way better but I still need to investigate.
San V sucks for anything other than a 27 Shadow with all of the chop and not many straight lengths to hold full throttle very long. The wake board boats turn it into an offshore event the last few times I have been. It is a cool place to chill in the back coves, but suck for driving in. That place will knock your fillings out mid day.
El Cap rangers are pretty cool ( so far ). The first trip to the lake , 3 weeks ago I was messing with jetting and doing a few passes in the back when I saw the tower of the ranger headed my way. I thought crap this may be a ticket. He pulls up and wanted to check out the boat and says" it sounded a little rich when you drove by". Pretty cool for being "the law".:D

W.O.T
06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
San V sucks for anything other than a 27 Shadow with all of the chop and not many straight lengths to hold full throttle very long. The wake board boats turn it into an offshore event the last few times I have been. It is a cool place to chill in the back coves, but suck for driving in. That place will knock your fillings out mid day.
El Cap rangers are pretty cool ( so far ). The first trip to the lake , 3 weeks ago I was messing with jetting and doing a few passes in the back when I saw the tower of the ranger headed my way. I thought crap this may be a ticket. He pulls up and wated to check out the boat and says" it sounded a little rich when you drove by". Pretty cool for being "the law".:D
i agree the el cap lake patrol are way nicer than the san v guys. there is a pretty good stretch in the back of el cap to really run it. san v feels like i might as well be in the bay at times gets really choppy

moneysucker
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
I do like the el cap rangers. we usually hang out in the back and mostly all I get is "You do have baffles right?" I have also heard that Sat there is no water contact at el cap so I may have to change the lake dates to Sat.

Big Proppa
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey PW - no the motor was pumped up - little pump work from Tom papp spinning a double A pump stays loaded real well now. Their is still a ton of stuff I could do to make it faster but i'm happy where it's at.

thatguy
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I've said it here before. 65 feels like 80 on the water. They just never had a speedometer. My first Miller was bad *as. Could have swore it did all of 90. One day they had weekend race at the local lake, with timers. Boy, that 90 turned into 76MPH in front of god and everybody. They aren't really liars, just think it's faster than it really is.
Tommy

vishus
06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
pitch x rpm / gear ratio / 1056 = theoretical speed X slip = actual speed...
26 x 6200 / 1.87(2.5L) / 1056 = 81 X .9 = 73.46
or
26 x 6200 / 1.75(3.0L) / 1056 = 87 X .9 = 78.5
27 x 6200 / 1.87 / 1056 = 84.7 x .9 = 76.3
or
27 x 6200 / 1.75 / 1056 = 90.6 x .9 = 81.5
so the previously mentioned OB would be running somewhere between 73 -78mph depending upon gear ratio (if the prop is HEAVILY cupped +1 for pitch and the speed could be around 76-81 mph).
as with everything in life, prop pitch, rpm and slip may differ dramatically, the only thing close to accurate would be your GPS (and I know mine lies sometime...)
peace...

Dan Lorenze
06-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I'll submit a mythical 80mph Jet..
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/1/88131751.htm
A buddy of mine is looking for a boat and called this guy. The 3 thousand pound Ultra has a stock 454 with FI. What's the stock HP on a 454 crate motor? 350hp? 375? Not 450! He's claiming 80+ MPH being pushed by a stock Dominator......
I say, no way Jose...
More like:
55-60mph :(

clownpuncher
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
It seems like just about everyone on here has 80mph jets? Where are they???
I'm fairly-surely-positive that, after a little timing and leaning out (both in the single carb and in overall cargo weight) with a nice little wind chop, that my 4000 LB'ish boat will do 80 :D
Other than that, it's fully loaded with 4 of us and all I can get is 72;)

LynnsJet
06-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure but maybe it's because all the fast blown jetboats are on the east coast.

QuickJet
06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure but maybe it's because all the fast blown jetboats are on the east coast.
It doesn't take a blower to run 80, 90, or even 100 mph. Well unless you are on the east coast. Gotta do something to make up for the humid, bug infested air. ;)

camoman
06-01-2007, 09:12 PM
WELP I am one of those covered motor, iron headed 750hp, threw trans exhaust 80+ mph liars.
Amen:jawdrop:

NUTHIN
06-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Amen:jawdrop:are ya sayin you agree?...................that im lying:messedup:

Ralph Brunt
06-02-2007, 06:06 PM
here's another myth:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/120221-3-07_065-med.jpg

thatguy
06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, it's mythical for now, but come tuesday it may be for real. Just got the Miller together and started it for the first time a few hours ago. 8 Months in the motor, plumbing, fuel system, and wiring. Started right up. complete rebuild:
'79 Miller
.040 over 454
10:1 compression, KB psistons
Comp .575 248 @ .050
Brodix BB1 aluminum heads
Papp ported TR w/ 660 center squirters
Complete Holley fuel system w/ Earls plumbing
I gotta say, if it goes half as fast as it sounds, it will be 80 and more.
Gotta put the drive coupler on, dump the oil and give it a whirl!
Tommy

RiverRacer
06-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Didn't the East Coast sink with Atlantis?????????:skull: :skull:

zudnic
06-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, it's mythical for now, but come tuesday it may be for real.
She gonna look sweet on the water. Supposed to be in Redding today. One Brother needs to be at work Monday, so have to figure how to get him home first................

squirt
06-03-2007, 12:32 AM
It ain't pretty but it is effective and in everyway a lake boat. Last GPS was mid 80's (84.6 on one and 85.4) on another. The load that day was me 185lbs, a pass 265+, an ice chest, anchor, some tools, noodle floaties, paddle, 2 1/2 tanks of gas and some litter:) This is at 5300 on a B+ impeller.
http://www.banderlog.com/playthings/stole%20it%202.JPG

Bahner tunnel
06-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Fast Boats???
Did you pick your boat up minus power from a guy in Rancho San diego area a few years back? It looks very familiar to my buddys older brothers boat, was named "Son of a Bit*h" . If I recall it ran a pretty hot 540 and ran probably in low 90's when I last saw it at the river. Really cool color combo, the gel is flawless, one of the cleanest 19's I have seen in person.

zudnic
06-03-2007, 09:13 AM
It ain't pretty but it is effective and in everyway a lake boat. Last GPS was mid 80's
Still a nice boat. I like being low key with sleeper type machines. If only my tow rig would stay running for more than a day.. :mad:

camoman
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
It ain't pretty but it is effective and in everyway a lake boat. Last GPS was mid 80's (84.6 on one and 85.4) on another. The load that day was me 185lbs, a pass 265+, an ice chest, anchor, some tools, noodle floaties, paddle, 2 1/2 tanks of gas and some litter:) This is at 5300 on a B+ impeller.
Good pic Don:D

camoman
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Well, it's mythical for now, but come tuesday it may be for real. Just got the Miller together and started it for the first time a few hours ago. 8 Months in the motor, plumbing, fuel system, and wiring. Started right up. complete rebuild:
'79 Miller
.040 over 454
10:1 compression, KB psistons
Comp .575 248 @ .050
Brodix BB1 aluminum heads
Papp ported TR w/ 660 center squirters
Complete Holley fuel system w/ Earls plumbing
I gotta say, if it goes half as fast as it sounds, it will be 80 and more.
Gotta put the drive coupler on, dump the oil and give it a whirl!
Tommy
Very very nice boat but with what components you are useing why such a conservative cam:idea:

camoman
06-03-2007, 10:43 AM
are ya sayin you agree?...................that im lying:messedup:
I agree:eek:

thatguy
06-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks camoman,
Yeah, I am already thinking of changing it out. (the cam) I had an Identicle Miller some years back and it ran great w/ a similar cam. I wanted to trick this one out, but still not have a "parts breaker" cam in it. It is basically a pleasure boat after all. The Brodix heads are rectangle, but only 280 cc ports. Common sense says the tunnell ram is bad choice, but it sure looks cool!
The 660's I got on a deal here on the boards w/ the manifold. I defenitly will change them out with some more drivable carbs.
BTW, any suggestions for carbs ?
Will take it out tomorrow and see if it drives at all. hopefully it will be OK for now. I gotta say, this thing sounds like a top fueler!! All the neighbor kids came running to gawk at it. Here are a couple pics w/ it next to my V-Drive.

camoman
06-03-2007, 11:10 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/karnag72/IMG_0602.jpg
Well it's a damn shame that 80+ is a myth for you....cause this is how I roll...... minus the lies :D

STVBOY
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM
pitch x rpm / gear ratio / 1056 = theoretical speed X slip = actual speed...
26 x 6200 / 1.87(2.5L) / 1056 = 81 X .9 = 73.46
or
26 x 6200 / 1.75(3.0L) / 1056 = 87 X .9 = 78.5
27 x 6200 / 1.87 / 1056 = 84.7 x .9 = 76.3
or
27 x 6200 / 1.75 / 1056 = 90.6 x .9 = 81.5
so the previously mentioned OB would be running somewhere between 73 -78mph depending upon gear ratio (if the prop is HEAVILY cupped +1 for pitch and the speed could be around 76-81 mph).
as with everything in life, prop pitch, rpm and slip may differ dramatically, the only thing close to accurate would be your GPS (and I know mine lies sometime...)
peace...
I think you are being a little nice to statue! Sebring hulls are not a very fast hull for him to have 9% slippage is being nice.I would say 70mph is more like it if it is a 2.5 with 1.87 gears. Statue you are forgetting a 75mph jet would probably beat you pretty good from 0-70mph!

steelcomp
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Fast Boats???
I should start loaning them my lie detector(GPS) and watch them weepFunny.
My Bahner had full carpet, stainless saddle tanks, full 4 seat interior, and a basic 454 +.060, iron heads, flat tappet cam, and an old Weiand TR w/2 800 Holleys. It turned a stock B 6200 at around 96-97 (morning, early spring), and when I put a race prepped B in it, it turned 5500, and went 93.2 in the 1/4 mi. at Ming in late September (very hot). Oh yeah...the headers were black, not chrome. Since then I've fixed a few things, and it's a little quicker, but it still has the tanks and carpet. :D
Top speed means nothing in a race. You beat other boats because you're so light and accelerate quickly, (and probably shut down as quickly) but for what you have, 81 is boring.

camoman
06-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Well put steelcomp quickness is the key. It is hard for someone to beat you if they have to run you down first;)

zudnic
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
All the neighbor kids came running to gawk.
I wanna gawk cept Excursion decided not to charge batteries again! :devil:

Statue
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
stvboy, my fast whacka is not the Sebring, it's my 18' Cole. It is much faster and I doubt that most jets would beat it 0 - 70mph. Again, the key word being "most".

pw_Tony
06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
stvboy, my fast whacka is not the Sebring, it's my 18' Cole. It is much faster and I dought that most jets would beat it 0 - 70mph. Again, the key word being "most".
0-70 getting beat y a wacker? Lol yah right... good luck with that one even against a stock jet going 55mph...

Statue
06-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Whatever.....I'm looking at a run to Laughlin the 17th, 18th and 19th of this month. If you want to meet up for some upper river or Mohave runs, let me know. 951.616.7645

pw_Tony
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Whatever.....I'm looking at a run to Laughlin the 17th, 18th and 19th of this month. If you want to meet up for some upper river or Mohave runs, let me know. 951.616.7645
Hey I live in Laughlin lol! My boat is slow tub but I did get a new toy today.... maybe I'll make it by then! Then again I hate getting beat by wackers lol:D

Statue
06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
What did you get?

pw_Tony
06-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Just got a 18' Sleekcraft. I dunno how fast the hull is but it's shallow, and very flat on the bottom. For the price I'd figure it be fun to build a mythical boat since since my big tub would take ALOT of money to go 80.... But cole's are pretty fast...

QuickJet
06-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks camoman,
. Here are a couple pics w/ it next to my V-Drive.
Which one is faster??
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32166&d=1180897608

pw_Tony
06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
The maroon and blue one?

moparjet
06-04-2007, 06:05 AM
i have a 80mph heavy lay up,full int,carpet,24 gal tanks,and 2 people,no ride plate,droop,with a bastard jacuzzi pump.It is a blown 440 making about 625hp.unless my gps is wrong
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Picture_133_small.JPG

El Prosecutor
06-04-2007, 06:34 AM
That is a great picture, and that girl's expression is priceless :)
I am guessing that might have been her last ride in that boat??

widowmaker
06-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Did you pick your boat up minus power from a guy in Rancho San diego area a few years back? It looks very familiar to my buddys older brothers boat, was named "Son of a Bit*h" . If I recall it ran a pretty hot 540 and ran probably in low 90's when I last saw it at the river. Really cool color combo, the gel is flawless, one of the cleanest 19's I have seen in person.
Exactly, his name was Ray, real cool guy. And yes that is the boat, son of a bi%$h.

widowmaker
06-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Funny.
My Bahner had full carpet, stainless saddle tanks, full 4 seat interior, and a basic 454 +.060, iron heads, flat tappet cam, and an old Weiand TR w/2 800 Holleys. It turned a stock B 6200 at around 96-97 (morning, early spring), and when I put a race prepped B in it, it turned 5500, and went 93.2 in the 1/4 mi. at Ming in late September (very hot). Oh yeah...the headers were black, not chrome. Since then I've fixed a few things, and it's a little quicker, but it still has the tanks and carpet. :D
Top speed means nothing in a race. You beat other boats because you're so light and accelerate quickly, (and probably shut down as quickly) but for what you have, 81 is boring.
I love this thread.

thatguy
06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Camoman,
Well, the purple boat is faster for sure. Duh.:) V-Drive, '73 Eliminator flattie,Mild 427 w/ LS6 solid cam and a torquer. It is nipping at a hundred. Afraid to spin it over 6 grand, even though it is still pulling. cast crank, 2 bolt.
Have had some household chores preventing a lake test w/ the miller. but in the next day or so. Haven't done any pump work yet but I think if I can get the tune close 80 MPH should be obtainable. I believe it has a B impeller. We shall see.

squirt
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
That is a great picture, and that girl's expression is priceless :)
I am guessing that might have been her last ride in that boat??
Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats my daughter 13 then and 15 now, she drove the thing WOT 2 weeks ago at Hogan:eek: . That pic was taken during the walls of water show in Sacramento Ca. We were doing a 5 boat intersecting run aproching each other and she was the navigator, it was her 1st time doing those manuvers as she missed all practices. She asked me if I thought anyone heard her screaming from shore. We lead off the news that night and were featured on the sports cast. It was a kick in the ass:D
http://www.banderlog.com/playthings/wow1.jpg

pw_Tony
06-04-2007, 07:53 PM
That is so bad ass!:D :devil: :devil:

squirt
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah so I didn't completely jack the thread :supp: there are 3 80+ mph jets it that pass. A twin turbo 21' eliminator at 100+, a 19' Ultra at 94+, and mine at the time 82 :D

21TUNL
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
all I get outa this POJ is 60,,, 62 if I push it....hehe
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/data/1982/medium/boat_pics_001.jpg

widowmaker
06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
all I get outa this POJ is 60,,, 62 if I push it....hehe
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/data/1982/medium/boat_pics_001.jpg
Very clean ride!

Sleeper CP
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats my daughter 13 then and 15 now, she drove the thing WOT 2 weeks ago at Hogan:eek: . That pic was taken during the walls of water show in Sacramento Ca. We were doing a 5 boat intersecting run aproching each other and she was the navigator, it was her 1st time doing those manuvers as she missed all practices. She asked me if I thought anyone heard her screaming from shore. We lead off the news that night and were featured on the sports cast. It was a kick in the ass:D
http://www.banderlog.com/playthings/wow1.jpg
That pic is priceless. Looks like a blast. Ever any mishaps doing the show?

camoman
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Well how was the first time out on that fresh build?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Fukkk all this speed talk!!!! Where are all the pics of the ladies on the jets????????

thatguy
06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Camoman,
Can you believe I still haven't gotten it wet? I had to fix 2 needle and seat assemblys, just got through recurving distributor. Just did not like the way it was responding on the trailer. It is much better now.
I used the MSD "red" bushing for 28 total mech. advance. With 2 blue springs it is all in at 36 Degrees at 3400 RPM. Idle at 8 deg.
660's had 74's in primaries, 76's in secondaries. They apparently have been modified for using jets in secondaries. Holley calls for plates = to 72's in secondaries. So, i put 72's in secondaries. Now it idles OK at 900 RPM. Not bad for the TR and those damned 660's! Fairly crisp response.
Anyway, got the new video camara today and in the morning am putting in the drive coupler and heading to the lake for a test. Hope it doesn't sh*t the bed right off the bat!
Tommy

camoman
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Camoman,
Can you believe I still haven't gotten it wet? I had to fix 2 needle and seat assemblys, just got through recurving distributor. Just did not like the way it was responding on the trailer. It is much better now.
I used the MSD "red" bushing for 28 total mech. advance. With 2 blue springs it is all in at 36 Degrees at 3400 RPM. Idle at 8 deg.
660's had 74's in primaries, 76's in secondaries. They apparently have been modified for using jets in secondaries. Holley calls for plates = to 72's in secondaries. So, i put 72's in secondaries. Now it idles OK at 900 RPM. Not bad for the TR and those damned 660's! Fairly crisp response.
Anyway, got the new video camara today and in the morning am putting in the drive coupler and heading to the lake for a test. Hope it doesn't sh*t the bed right off the bat!
Tommy
Cool deal and good luck;)

squirt
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/karnag72/IMG_0602.jpg
Well it's a damn shame that 80+ is a myth for you....cause this is how I roll...... minus the lies :D
Damn dude that boat has come a long ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations you have earned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

topfuel10
06-07-2007, 09:25 PM
IF it would only go 80!http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32509&stc=1&d=1181280258

bordsmnj
06-07-2007, 10:13 PM
i thought the shit would get much thicker than it is.:D 80 LMAO!for a whole quarter mile??? must be one bad whacker.
if you guys aren't gonna slam this guy harder than this for coming to "just jets" and straight calling y'all out i'm gonna hafta buy a v-drive.:)