PDA

View Full Version : Driving a cat vs. V

HPBoats83
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I have grown up with V's my whole life and think I can drive them pretty well. How much different is driving a cat from a V and what do you have to do different? If we were to compare boats, let's say a 25 Daytona and a equivalent size eagle.

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thread-ugly.gif

Jyruiz
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't know, but I was happy with my 26' V this past Memorial weekend.:)

BADBLOWN572
05-31-2007, 10:28 AM
They are very different. The way you take wakes in a cat is different, turning is completely different, and the way that the boat rides is different. I think that driving a cat is easier, you just have to pay more attention because cats are not as forgiving. Just my .02
I personally was very glad that I had a cat this past memorial day. Ran back in rough water at 70mph and never got crazy. Just went over the top of the rough stuff. :)

Lavey29
05-31-2007, 09:10 PM
I agree with BB572. I have owned 2 Daytonas and am now on my first good sized V bottom. Cats are faster typically with the same power but you have to stay alert to varying water conditions. V bottoms will handle the rough water better overall I feel. Cats usually don't need or have tab(s). V bottoms do which extends the length of the boat and allows you to fine tune the ride for the condtions. I came very close to blowing my Daytona over at 95mph some years back. Kited 15' straight vertical in the air and almost went over. 25 and smaller Cats tend to be ass heavy with big block motors. I feel they work way better with outboard power on the smaller cats. I am still learning to drive my V at optimum level in different condtions.

DMOORE
05-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I have also found my cat to be MUCH more sensative to trim than any V I have owned, or driven. It takes awhile to get used to it. Also you will see a big difference between running with the wind or into it. Something most V's don't experiance. In a word, take your time, start off slow and really learn the boat. It took me a couple of months to really get used to the changes.
Darrell.

BajaMike
05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
So, to summarize.....Vs are more forgiving then cats.....and better in rough water? I think it is accepted that an equal size cat will run faster than a V with equal power.
I've never driven a cat, but I know from riding with friends, in small to medium chop, if you can get the cat to speed and start to lift, you can kind of ride over the chop.
But in bigger waves.....like the basin at Mohave in the afternoon, you're in trouble with a cat under about 40 foot.....
:idea:

plaster dave
05-31-2007, 10:10 PM
They are very different. The way you take wakes in a cat is different, turning is completely different, and the way that the boat rides is different. I think that driving a cat is easier, you just have to pay more attention because cats are not as forgiving. Just my .02
I personally was very glad that I had a cat this past memorial day. Ran back in rough water at 70mph and never got crazy. Just went over the top of the rough stuff. :)
I agree with you on this.

dicudmore
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree with you on this.
I 3rd this and did not get passed by a V-bottom of any size or power all weekend. I DID get passed by a 33-Daytona monday in some snotty water and a 32-Skater...pretty sure they were both cats :wink:

dicudmore
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
But in bigger waves.....like the basin at Mohave in the afternoon, you're in trouble with a cat under about 40 foot.....
Dam run next weekend--we'll see how many of the V-bottoms can hang with the cats through the basin. :D

Lavey29
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
So, to summarize.....Vs are more forgiving then cats.....and better in rough water? I think it is accepted that an equal size cat will run faster than a V with equal power.
I've never driven a cat, but I know from riding with friends, in small to medium chop, if you can get the cat to speed and start to lift, you can kind of ride over the chop.
That's a good summary of the differences. I think cats 28' and up would have no problem running through the basin in the afternoon there. Smaller cats would have to run slower.

dicudmore
05-31-2007, 10:49 PM
That's a good summary of the differences. I think cats 28' and up would have no problem running through the basin in the afternoon there. Smaller cats would have to run slower.
well now you just went and took all the fun out of my post :D

Lavey29
05-31-2007, 11:48 PM
well now you just went and took all the fun out of my post :D
You still got wind in your sail,,,jump in and give your opinion...Also, I am sure there are a few V bottoms that could hang with your Cat through that run also... :D

Pheelin Phroggy
06-01-2007, 05:11 AM
28' is probably the number of the day for Mojave's lower basin on a windy day... We run it in our 28' V all the time out there... seem to blow by the smaller V's and Cats in anything 3' and up... and run pretty good with the 28' Cats (they are definately faster with the same power).. Our hull design is a stepped transom, which helps keep us up on top, and handles bitchen in rough water. We were going to go with a Cat, but after really checking into different V hull designs, decided to go with stepped transom. We have been super happy with it, plus I did not want to learn how to drive again. Not bagging on Cats.. it is a handling and comfort preference for us.

BADBLOWN572
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Not necessarily. I have run on Mojave a ton of times. Depending on how the water is going, you will be fine. You really just have to get up on top of it. The nice thing about that lake is that it doesn't turn into a "washing machine" with waves coming from all different directions. It usually stays pretty consistent. Run at a 45-75 degree angle to the waves, if at all possible. Cats do not like running directly into the waves.
We ran back from Willow Beach to Cottonwood Cove on a 2 flag day. I am not going to lie, we beat the shit out of ourselves, but it was a fun run and never got "scarry." I typically ran with my friend's 27' Rayson Craft (same as the 27 Dana) and I could pull him in the big water. I am sure that it was safer in the 27, but faster & smoother in the cat. One thing is for sure though... When in rough water you must DRIVE a cat. You can not just set it and go like you could with a V.

x7734x
06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
One thing is for sure though... When in rough water you must DRIVE a cat. You can not just set it and go like you could with a V.
No doubt about that at all.

40FlatDeck
06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
The only v I have owned was a 16' Glastron so I won't be much help. The rougher the better, my cat dominates it.:D

BADBLOWN572
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM
The only v I have owned was a 16' Glastron so I won't be much help. The rougher the better, my cat dominates it.:D
I am sure! Did I mention that I am in love with your boat? :)

40FlatDeck
06-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I am sure! Did I mention that I am in love with your boat? :)
Thanks! It has been some work but has come together great. We'll be in Havasu Father's Day weekend. Flag me down if you are there and we'll go for a ride.

BADBLOWN572
06-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks! It has been some work but has come together great. We'll be in Havasu Father's Day weekend. Flag me down if you are there and we'll go for a ride.
Not sure if I will be out there that weekend, but if I ever do see you, I will definitely flag you down and say hello! :)

spectras only
06-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Not necessarily. The nice thing about that lake is that it doesn't turn into a "washing machine" with waves coming from all different directions.
You pretty much summed it up what's happening around here where I boat most of the time .
When Reggie and Dave Knight were here last fall , they noted how nasty the water was on their demo day in the 38 staggered Fountain . Some days I just would want to be in my friend's 47 footer , instead of my boat ;)

HPBoats83
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody

sigepmock
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody
We made the jump from a vee to a cat last year and haven't regretted it yet. We boat at Havasu mostly and would get beat up in our vee....the cat runs over the top of it. It took some getting used to driving the cat, the best thing I did was let experienced cat owners drive my boat and explain what, how, and why they were doing the thngs they were doing. I can safely say that in less than a year of owning the boat I feel very comfortable in our boat BUT I still respect it and pay attention just in case.
As far as ride quality...our second weekend out with the new boat we were running 70 across a blown out whitecapped day on Havasu and our 1 and 1/2 year old daughter was sound asleep in the mid cabin. If we still had our vee would probably wouldn't have even gone on the water that day.
Just my $.02,
Chris

Chickenlips
06-01-2007, 05:05 PM
We made the jump from a vee to a cat last year and haven't regretted it yet. We boat at Havasu mostly and would get beat up in our vee....the cat runs over the top of it. It took some getting used to driving the cat, the best thing I did was let experienced cat owners drive my boat and explain what, how, and why they were doing the thngs they were doing. I can safely say that in less than a year of owning the boat I feel very comfortable in our boat BUT I still respect it and pay attention just in case.
As far as ride quality...our second weekend out with the new boat we were running 70 across a blown out whitecapped day on Havasu and our 1 and 1/2 year old daughter was sound asleep in the mid cabin. If we still had our vee would probably wouldn't have even gone on the water that day.
Just my $.02,
Chris
Don't do that with your kids in the boat. I know it's none of my bussiness, but be carfull.