PDA

View Full Version : I hate HMO Dental Plans!

Tremor Therapy
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I hate HMO Dental plans!
So I cracked a wisdom tooth back in early April (4-6), and made an appointment with my “plan” dentist. A week later (at the earliest appointment), my dentist states that I will need an oral surgeon to remove the tooth, and they fill out and send in the authorization forms. About 10 days later I get the letter in the mail authorizing me to make an appointment with one of the “plan” oral surgeons. So I make the appointment and I have to wait 6 more days.
I go to the “plan” oral surgeons office, and since I am a new patient I have to go through x-rays and an exam for the upcoming surgery. Well the dentist who saw me stated that the tooth would need to be pulled, and that I might as well get all 4 pulled at the same time. So I go ahead and make the appointment, and they told me they would send in the necessary authorization forms. Well the oral surgeon only comes to this office once every 3 weeks, I was out of the office on the first occasion, so I don’t get an appointment to see him until 5-31-07, damn near 6 weeks after my first appointment!
Well they call 5-30-07 insuring that I am familiar with all the precautions prior to oral surgery, don’t eat or drink 12 hours before and etc, and I have already made all the necessary plans to get kids taken care of, a DD so I can get a ride home, etc. I go to the office at 2:00 pm for my appointment, hungry as hell, but prepared to get all 4 teeth pulled.
After waiting 1:15, they call me up to the window, and start apologizing profusely! My original authorization was for a consultation with the Oral Surgeon (the person I saw was a regular dentist), they mis-read the authorization form, and could I please wait around for another “hour or so” so the Oral Surgeon could take a quick look, and then re-schedule an appointment for June 21st? WTF? I ask for a super and her long winded response was really no better than an “oh well.” I call the HMO, get nothing but run-around, and I am pissed!
Suffice to say I have made an appointment with an out of plan Oral Surgeon, and this will all get taken care of next week! I friggin hate HMO’s! :mad:

ratso
06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
One plus in the boat business is that plenty of doctors, lawyers, accountants, contractors, you name it, all want their boats done in a hurry...;) They don't wait long and neither do I....:D