PDA

View Full Version : Boat research time

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Just sold my wakeboarding boat, caus I got tired of only going 42 MPH.
Looking at different V hulls in the 25' and up range. I am researching quality,
dependabilty and trying to get the most, "bang for my buck" :confused:
Thinking about the Hallett $$$$, Ultra, Lavey, Sleek and the Shockwave.
Any advice and customer service ratings would be helpful!
:)

NashvilleBound
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Ultra....or if you can go new Trident. Whats your price point?

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Of those you mentioned, I don't think you'll find a better boat than the Lavey. Of course, I'm biased, but for a "V" you can't go wrong w/Lavey. :D
Good luck.

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I am looking around 75k to the low 80's
wanting to stay with a so cal builder due to any service issues that might come up.
thanks!

yopengo
06-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Any of these are a great choice. There are a TON of deals on used boats whith good power options. My 02.

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Of those you mentioned, I don't think you'll find a better boat than the Lavey. Of course, I'm biased, but for a "V" you can't go wrong w/Lavey. :D
Good luck.
I like the Lavey 26 Nu Era, I just don't know if I can keep it in my price range.
I was at Ultra on Weds and toured the factory, alot is not included in the "base" price. How are Laveys standard options?
Thanks

burtandnancy2
06-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I've got the cleanest 27 Hallett you've ever seen, only gets used 1 day each odd year at the Hallett Regatta (you can't have it until after June 15, '07. Drop me a line, or give me your address and I'll mail you color pictures (red/white) and specs...

Jyruiz
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I am looking around 75k to the low 80's
wanting to stay with a so cal builder due to any service issues that might come up.
thanks!
I think you are going to have to go used if you plan on sticking with the boat builders you posted in that price range, or maybe a smaller boat from them.

voodoomedman
06-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Go test drive all of them. Customer service will arguably be the best at Ultra, I hear nothing but good things about Lavey as well.
Costwise Hallet and then Lavey are probably the most.
Shockwave you get a very nice boat for probably a little bit less.
Ultra has the looks, the quality and the customer service for a nice price. PM Ultra28 or JohnwithJM with any questions or post them down in their forum.
Anyhow, go visit them all and narrow it down to the models you like in your price range, test drive and negotiate a deal. I love the Ultra's but that's what works for me and my family. I would also not have a problem buying a Lavey or a Shockwave if Ultra didn't exist. Gotta find what works for you.

voodoomedman
06-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I think you are going to have to go used if you plan on sticking with the boat builders you posted in that price range, or maybe a smaller boat from them.
No, the 24 Ultra or the 25 Shockwave should be less than that. Also I could be wrong but the new 26 Ultra should be around the 80 range. Now if you go cat or start going 27 and above then yes your pulling away from that number.

mondorally
06-01-2007, 12:58 PM
New only?
-Justin

Jyruiz
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
No, the 24 Ultra or the 25 Shockwave should be less than that. Also I could be wrong but the new 26 Ultra should be around the 80 range. Now if you go cat or start going 27 and above then yes your pulling away from that number.
He did say "25' and up range" thats why I said what I said. I know the 25' Shockwave will come under $80k, but not with many upgrades since you have to figure tax as well.

voodoomedman
06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I like the Lavey 26 Nu Era, I just don't know if I can keep it in my price range.
I was at Ultra on Weds and toured the factory, alot is not included in the "base" price. How are Laveys standard options?
Thanks
Who were you talking to and what did they say wasn't included? When I bought mine I upgraded 3 things, 496 Mag (which is now standard), drive shower, and put in the super stereo with subs and amps and all that. Everything else was included so unless they changed things. You may want to talk directly to John West. PM Ultra28 or call down and ask for him.
He did say "25' and up range" thats why I said what I said. I know the 25' Shockwave will come under $80k, but not with many upgrades since you have to figure tax as well.
Your right. I always forget and group some 24's in with a 25. For instance I know folks with a 25 Eliminator Eagle XP and the swimstep is built in. Mine is bolt on and every bit as big as the Eliminator. Now the 25 Shockwave does have some crazy freeboard on it.

Big Warlock
06-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Go with a 47 foot Outerlimits. No worries about customer service....or anything else for that matter. Turn key as soon as you place it in water. You will not be dissappointed! :)

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Who were you talking to and what did they say wasn't included? When I bought mine I upgraded 3 things, 496 Mag (which is now standard), drive shower, and put in the super stereo with subs and amps and all that. Everything else was included so unless they changed things. You may want to talk directly to John West. PM Ultra28 or call down and ask for him.
Your right. I always forget and group some 24's in with a 25. For instance I know folks with a 25 Eliminator Eagle XP and the swimstep is built in. Mine is bolt on and every bit as big as the Eliminator. Now the 25 Shockwave does have some crazy freeboard on it.
I was talking to one of the younger sales people, John was busy but I did plan on going out and having a talk with him. As far as what is standard and what is extra all i have to go on is the price sheets that I was given last Thurs. Alot of items were upgrades that is why I would like to talk to John. I know the 27'er is out of my price. I am keeping my list to the 24' Ultra, 25' Shockwave, 26' lavey and I probably could only pull a used Hallett in the 24'...any thoughts on Commander?

Jyruiz
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I was talking to one of the younger sales people, John was busy but I did plan on going out and having a talk with him. As far as what is standard and what is extra all i have to go on is the price sheets that I was given last Thurs. Alot of items were upgrades that is why I would like to talk to John. I know the 27'er is out of my price. I am keeping my list to the 24' Ultra, 25' Shockwave, 26' lavey and I probably could only pull a used Hallett in the 24'...any thoughts on Commander?
You wont get people here praising Commander, but you get a lot of boat for the money in my opinion. The only problems I have had with my boat, have been engine related, so that is a Merc issue. I was very confortable in Havi on Memorial weekend doing 45mph (I am not a speed guy) and nothing came loose or fell apart.

warlock 27
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I give ultra 20 thumbs up

voodoomedman
06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah talk to John because like I said my boat came with everything. And they don't charge you to change the seating configurations and stuff like that either. Hallet's are nice but are very old school looking for my tastes and I think you start having to pay to change things up. Lavey will be faster than the Ultra and Shockwave and most would argue that they are rigged nicer although when I crawled through one I wasn't impressed to the point where I would want to pay a premium over the aformentioned. You will probably feel the chop less in the Lavey or Shockwave being a little bigger. The Ultra handles Havasu very well but you will feel a nice bump here and there in the big stuff. Again depends on what you want. Looks aside, if you want more speed then maybe the Lavey, If you want good all around performance, and probably the most interior space out of all them for the family then go Ultra. If you want a ride in one then let me know and if we are in Havasu at the same time I'd be glad to oblige.

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
You wont get people here praising Commander, but you get a lot of boat for the money in my opinion. The only problems I have had with my boat, have been engine related, so that is a Merc issue. I was very confortable in Havi on Memorial weekend doing 45mph (I am not a speed guy) and nothing came loose or fell apart.
Thanks, I don't see alot of positive comments re: Commander here on the forums. But I do understand that every owner has his likes and dislikes.
I would like to stay in the low 80's but I know that I will probably end up higher once i build the boat that Momma and I like. We want to go new caus we want to have her built for us and we want a boat we will love for 10 or more years...yea right! we had our Sanger for almost 5 years..
thanks for the advice!

driverno8
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I love my Commander. Most people hate the owner of Commander and the way the company is run, not the boats they produce. I had a 26' Signature before my deck now. With the HO I did 74mph GPS. Not bad and it's going to come in under your price range. But don't think you'll take it back to Commander. Their customer serive is horrible. But for the money you get a heck of a lot of boat.
Heck my deck new was $74K out the door. Sorry, but that's $30k cheaper then any other comparable deck. Yea, it's got it flaws, but all boats do. They're all hand made.

mondorally
06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
PM sent regarding a certain 27' Schiada for sale:)
-Justin

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks
I bought mine used, so I couldn't tell you prices for standard options v.s. upgrades, etc. I'm a firm believer in buying used. You may not get the exact gel you want, but the value is much better. The money saved goes to other fun. There are some great deals out there right now. Which ever way you go, I would negotiate hard.
Lavey is in Corona, and the have an engine mech. they refer who is also in Corona - Quality Performance Marine. Great company for service. You can do a search and see the comments on their service. Lots of good referrals, and only one bad (:D). They also use Extreme Trailers who is just down the road in Riverside, so everything you would need for service, etc. is close.

redneckgirl
06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed in any of your choices!!!! I am a little bias but Shockwave gets my vote!!!! :D Go see Bob or Jennifer at Shockwave!!
RNG

Lavey5150
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Lavey..................:D

XtrmWakeborder
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Personally for that price i'd go with the shockwave or ultra. The shockwave looks really big for a 25.

jbtrailerjim
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
My vote goes for Ultra but my opinion is a little biased. I love mine and they were great to deal with through the whole build process. I've only had one problem with my Ultra. It was a Mercury problem and it was under warranty. They fixed it for me right away and even delivered my boat back up here for me. All of the boats on your list are great though IMO. I would own anyone of them.
I'm just curious though since it's been over a few years since I've been boat shopping. How much is the base price on an Ultra 24' Stealth?

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I don't see alot of positive comments re: Commander here on the forums. But I do understand that every owner has his likes and dislikes.
I would like to stay in the low 80's but I know that I will probably end up higher once i build the boat that Momma and I like. We want to go new caus we want to have her built for us and we want a boat we will love for 10 or more years...yea right! we had our Sanger for almost 5 years..
thanks for the advice!
You're really not going to go wrong with any of those that you mentioned and they are more within your price range than some of the other builders. Don't be fooled by anyone, as with everything you get what you pay for.....
If you do end up going new and need help on designing graphics I HIGHLY recommend Rare Koncepts (http://www.rarekoncepts.com) for all of your graphics needs. Russ and his brother are awesome to work with and have done numerours members graphics for their boats including ours. Everything is done via email. Check out some of their work on the link above.....

SummerBreeze
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
HOWARD 25 BULLET

OGShocker
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I love our 27 Dana.

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed in any of your choices!!!! I am a little bias but Shockwave gets my vote!!!! :D Go see Bob or Jennifer at Shockwave!!
RNG
My wife and I took a test ride in the 25' at lake Irvine last month, I was impressed with the ride on a boat filled choppy lake. I spoke with Bob and he seemed like a honest person. Thanks for your comment!

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
My vote goes for Ultra but my opinion is a little biased. I love mine and they were great to deal with through the whole build process. I've only had one problem with my Ultra. It was a Mercury problem and it was under warranty. They fixed it for me right away and even delivered my boat back up here for me. All of the boats on your list are great though IMO. I would own anyone of them.
I'm just curious though since it's been over a few years since I've been boat shopping. How much is the base price on an Ultra 24' Stealth?
The base price for the 24' Stealth was 59,900. that was with a 6.2L MX (320HP) thats the price sheet I was given.

UltraStealth
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
For the money go Shockwave. they have a deal going on right now. $71K loaded with the 496 HO 25 Tremor Cuddy. I think open bow is even cheaper. Basically a motor upgrade for no charge from the 496 MAG to the 496 HO.
I like Ultra too. You might want to check out the new 26 Stealth in the works. Sleek is in your price range as well.

XtrmWakeborder
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Is Howard even in that range though?.....

talbert450r
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a 2007 24' Ultra for sale well within your price range. Check out the link below.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134207

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Going new, no it is not in the $75k-$80k range that he stated OTD. If he wants to push the budget up then yes he can get into a Howard 25.....

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Howard and DCB are both awesome boats, but even used are out of my price range.

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a 2007 24' Ultra for sale well within your price range. Check out the link below.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134207
Nice boat and thanks for the link, we are leaning towards the open bow crawl throughs

rodnjen
06-01-2007, 02:58 PM
If you haven't looked at the Essex 27' Raven, it is a very nice boat and performs well with 496HO power. I might be a little more money but not much and it comes FULLY loaded.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
If you haven't looked at the Essex 27' Raven, it is a very nice boat and performs well with 496HO power. I might be a little more money but not much and it comes FULLY loaded.
Essex builds a solid boat as well. We previously owned two a 21 and a 29...Of course RnJ already knows that... :D

Playinwithfyr
06-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the .02, Essex is going to be out at the Pomona boat show later this week. Shockwave will also be there, John from Ultra gave me a call today and wants to meet next week and he will tour the shop with me.
I have sooo many new friends right now (boat dealers) since I am in the market for a new boat. Should be fun Momma and I are looking forward to a new ride! :) :)

purrfecttremor
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I dont think you can beat shockwave in this price range. :D

beaverretriever
06-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Howard and DCB are both awesome boats, but even used are out of my price range.
Man, this is a beautiful howard. Looks to be in your price range.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/6/87616836.htm
Can't go wrong with any of the boats mentioned. If you buy new, the Ultra is definitely a great boat to check out.

plaster dave
06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Man, this is a beautiful howard. Looks to be in your price range.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/6/87616836.htm
Can't go wrong with any of the boats mentioned. If you buy new, the Ultra is definitely a great boat to check out.
I agree if you like the colors I would jump on this.
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/plcnad/5229948/87616836_1.jpg
YEAR
FUEL GAS
MAKE HOWARD CUSTOM BOATS
LOA 25'4
MODEL Bullet
BEAM 98
PRICE $78,900.00
HORSEPOWER 600
LOCATION Phoenix, AZ
CRUISING SPEED 50
CONTACT NUMBER
(602) 870-8098
MAX SPEED 84
LENGTH FEET 25
FUEL (GALLONS) 60
HULL TYPE FIBERGLASS/COMPOSITE
CATEGORY HIGH PERFORMANCE
ENGINE TYPE SINGLE
DESCRIPTION
2004 HOWARD CUSTOM BOATS Bullet, 25' 4'' Like new garage Queen.Teague 600sc,Teague gears,Imco steering,Dana aluminum throughout.Too many extras to list.This Boat is amazing.Ellis custom trailer.Lowered,5 Centerline wheels,disc brakes,torsion bar susp.Great stereo.Lavosi gauges w/G.P.S.speedo.Dana tabs,Bluewater indicators.Bravo 28" Lab prop.This Boat is set up right.Call for details and more photos.Someone is going to steal this boat.

HavasuHome
06-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree if you like the colors I would jump on this.
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/plcnad/5229948/87616836_1.jpg
YEAR
FUEL GAS
MAKE HOWARD CUSTOM BOATS
LOA 25'4
MODEL Bullet
BEAM 98
PRICE $78,900.00
HORSEPOWER 600
LOCATION Phoenix, AZ
CRUISING SPEED 50
CONTACT NUMBER
(602) 870-8098
MAX SPEED 84
LENGTH FEET 25
FUEL (GALLONS) 60
HULL TYPE FIBERGLASS/COMPOSITE
CATEGORY HIGH PERFORMANCE
ENGINE TYPE SINGLE
DESCRIPTION
2004 HOWARD CUSTOM BOATS Bullet, 25' 4'' Like new garage Queen.Teague 600sc,Teague gears,Imco steering,Dana aluminum throughout.Too many extras to list.This Boat is amazing.Ellis custom trailer.Lowered,5 Centerline wheels,disc brakes,torsion bar susp.Great stereo.Lavosi gauges w/G.P.S.speedo.Dana tabs,Bluewater indicators.Bravo 28" Lab prop.This Boat is set up right.Call for details and more photos.Someone is going to steal this boat.
Cannot get a better boat for that price-New or Used.

River918
06-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Check this one out...I hear it's pretty nice. :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144752

driverno8
06-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Lavey is in Corona, and the have an engine mech. they refer who is also in Corona - Quality Performance Marine. Great company for service. You can do a search and see the comments on their service. Lots of good referrals, and only one bad (:D).
I second Quality Performance. Rob's the only one that's ever touched my boat.

GRUNION
06-02-2007, 05:12 AM
I love our 27 Dana.
I second that. My 27 Dana is the nicest riding v I have been in thats under 30 ft.:D