PDA

View Full Version : Smart Craft

Chickenlips
06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Why did Mercury come up with the so called Smart Craft motor. As in another post my buddies motor runs for 15 minutes then shuts off. Why have all of these sensors and gadgets that monitor the motor. Are they made to where only smart people can work on them. He has a guy coming out today to check it out. I used to have Mechanics work on my motor, this guy's lable is (MERCURY MARINE CERTIFIED TECHNITIAN) what is this shit. What's the purpose of having all of this high tech stuff, it isn't faster then mine, it doesn't get better fuel mileage then mine & it doesn't even start better then mine. The only good thing that I like about the motor is the closed cooling system, but that isn't new I new a guy that had that 10 or 15 years ago. Just something to talk about. Jim

spectras only
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I had nothing but carbureted boats , until my Mirage . Two brand new 6.2 MX's were installed with smartcraft system 3 yrs ago . Starts like a new car
every time . The smartcraft does monitor 64 functions to save your engine in case of mailfunctions. Being an old school boater , I have full analogue gauges backing up the SC , so I can glance at the instruments once in a while , plus it looks cool to have a quadzillion gauges on the dash :D .
I've also purchased a scanning tool , that I carry on board all the time .
Haven't had any issues with the electronics yet [ 140 hrs on the engines ]
but , at least I can trouble shoot if something will occur in the future .

Chickenlips
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I had nothing but carbureted boats , until my Mirage . Two brand new 6.2 MX's were installed with smartcraft system 3 yrs ago . Starts like a new car
every time . The smartcraft does monitor 64 functions to save your engine in case of mailfunctions. Being an old school boater , I have full analogue gauges backing up the SC , so I can glance at the instruments once in a while , plus it looks cool to have a quadzillion gauges on the dash :D .
I've also purchased a scanning tool , that I carry on board all the time .
Haven't had any issues with the electronics yet [ 140 hrs on the engines ]
but , at least I can trouble shoot if something will occur in the future .
Attila, I see what your saying, but with all of these gadgets in a boat that is some times in vary rough water and bouncing like a rubber ball, something might come losse and most people like my buddy (or me) can't fix it. When his motor is running for that short time, all of the gauges check out fine, so it is something real simple. 140 hours on the motor is great, but I wouldn't even want to guess how many hours I had on the Thunderbutt motor before I decided to rebuild, maybe thousands. I think they are getting too technical. Be sides all of that. how are you doing? You know we are going to have the big Offshore boats @ LOTO in Sept. Come take a look

spectras only
06-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Jim , I'd love to go to LOTO one day. My son just graduated this year so I'll be more flexible with travel times now on . We've been in the states every year [ Grand Canyon last summer] , usual round trip to San Diego [ relatives there] on different routes . Tell your friend to keep an eye on the 90 Amp fuse on the starter . The juice to the computer going through this square fuse block , and the cable connection on the fuse is prone to get loose from bouncing around, causing stalling or inhibiting restart . It's advisable to take this fuse out, snug up the bolt/nut and reinstall .

Chickenlips
06-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Hi Jim , I'd love to go to LOTO one day. My son just graduated this year so I'll be more flexible with travel times now on . We've been in the states every year [ Grand Canyon last summer] , usual round trip to San Diego [ relatives there] on different routes . Tell your friend to keep an eye on the 90 Amp fuse on the starter . The juice to the computer going through this square fuse block , and the cable connection on the fuse is prone to get loose from bouncing around, causing stalling or inhibiting restart . It's advisable to take this fuse out, snug up the bolt/nut and reinstall .
Thanks I'll relay that to him. Jim