PDA

View Full Version : Insurance companies

ratso
06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Being in the boat business and having to deal with insurance companies all of the time, I just want to say that if you are unhappy with who you are with, try Progressive... I have dealt with them on numerous claims. Typically they will call me and set up an appointment or let me know a customer is coming in for repairs unless the customer has already contacted me. They are almost always out within a day or two to inspect the damage and 99% of the time cut a check for the repairs right there on the spot. They also have me sign a form saying I agree with the amount and also sign a form as to when I think the repairs will be completed. The agent follows up on the job for the customer too, just to see how things are coming along. I have never had a negative experience with them and I am truly amazed at how professionally they handle business for everyone involved. There are other good companies out there too, but Progressive comes through every time. I won't bash any other companies, most of you know my feelings on one in particular... I'm just saying if you are unhappy or have had bad experiences with who you are with now, at least give Progressive a shot. Around this area at least, they make life a lot more pleasant...

HocusPocus
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
i have used them for years and currently have 3 boats insured with'em. i have never had to file a claim but its nice to hear positive stories about an insurance company.

DirtySquirty
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Had Progressive here in So. California. Progressive took my Premiums for quite sometime with me thinking I had coverage. Looked closer at the exclusions and I was not covered at all with OT Headers or the Horsepower. Carefull with Progressive...

AirtimeLavey
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
I use Western Marine. Never had any claims. Anybody else use them or heard about them?

Trailer Park Casanova
06-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I use Western Marine. Never had any claims. Anybody else use them or heard about them?
They were great with some extended warranty issues. No hassle.
The worst was McGraw who I think may be gone now.
Good post Ratso,, we'll check progressive out.

pw_Tony
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Being in the boat business and having to deal with insurance companies all of the time, I just want to say that if you are unhappy with who you are with, try Progressive... I have dealt with them on numerous claims. Typically they will call me and set up an appointment or let me know a customer is coming in for repairs unless the customer has already contacted me. They are almost always out within a day or two to inspect the damage and 99% of the time cut a check for the repairs right there on the spot. They also have me sign a form saying I agree with the amount and also sign a form as to when I think the repairs will be completed. The agent follows up on the job for the customer too, just to see how things are coming along. I have never had a negative experience with them and I am truly amazed at how professionally they handle business for everyone involved. There are other good companies out there too, but Progressive comes through every time. I won't bash any other companies, most of you know my feelings on one in particular... I'm just saying if you are unhappy or have had bad experiences with who you are with now, at least give Progressive a shot. Around this area at least, they make life a lot more pleasant...
I'm not sure as much with boats... but when it comes to cars I can't think of a shop that actually likes Them. I'm an independent agent in this area and do the same work as the guys in progressive does as you stated. Every time I had to write an estimate on a boat, I just take what the shop wants and give it to them. But when it comes to cars is different. The more money the Appraisers from Progressive can save from cutting cost at a job, they make money. They get a cut from being cheap with Body shops and what not. As for me I don't care about saving money cause I dont make any on the side like Progessive Appraisers do, so I write my estimates for the FULL repair of the vehicle the first time. I dunno maybe Progressive are good when it comes to boats....

SPOCKER
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Its a good thing they dont treat there costomers the same way they treat there D.R.P's... But they do take care of there customers ... if you have any Questions about there D.R.P program feel free to ask ill let you know the in's and out's iff you dont already know

Redding Rat
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Had Progressive for my Harley and had nothing but TROUBLE with them when I had an accident! It took myself with the help of my local Harley dealer about two months to get it right. A couple of months after my claim, my friend had the same problem when he filed a claim on his boat.

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure as much with boats... but when it comes to cars I can't think of a shop that actually likes Them. I'm an independent agent in this area and do the same work as the guys in progressive does as you stated. Every time I had to write an estimate on a boat, I just take what the shop wants and give it to them. But when it comes to cars is different. The more money the Appraisers from Progressive can save from cutting cost at a job, they make money. They get a cut from being cheap with Body shops and what not. As for me I don't care about saving money cause I dont make any on the side like Progessive Appraisers do, so I write my estimates for the FULL repair of the vehicle the first time. I dunno maybe Progressive are good when it comes to boats....
I can't say much about the car end of it. It may be a different story there.;) That is the experience I've had with other companies in the boat business though. One thing I can say, in the boat business there are places that absolutely screw over insurance companies. We had a claim through here (not Progressive) and this guy went for three estimates. Liberator Boats was around the same as our bid which was a little over $3000, but they didn't have time to do it. Another shop up that direction and I won't mention any names because their work sucks and I feel for anybody that gets screwed over by this place, was over $6000!!! The real problem with this place is that they can't shoot gelcoat worth shit, so they use paint... double screwed!!! The job I am referring to is in the Fiberglass Repair section of these forums in the Yellow Gelcoat thread... Anyway, the guy wants to sell this boat so we are trying to sand and buff in the edges of the paint on the starboard side where these jerk offs did the old repairs.http://***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Anyhow, I'm getting off topic here, but shop around when you need work done. Just because they are the most expensive doesn't make them the best.

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Had Progressive for my Harley and had nothing but TROUBLE with them when I had an accident! It took myself with the help of my local Harley dealer about two months to get it right. A couple of months after my claim, my friend had the same problem when he filed a claim on his boat.
Hate to hear that... I guess it kind of goes back to who is handling the claim for you too... I have horror stories about State Farm and a couple of others, but soon as you mention it, someone comes on and tells what a great experience they had with them. Just from personal experience with my business, I can honestly say, it has never taken longer than 4 days for Progressive to handle a claim and put a check in my hand to start a job.;)