PDA

View Full Version : Real BOat Racing!

Boatcop
06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Louis Vuitton Cup on Vs. this weekend.
America's Cup starts the 23rd.
I worked the Cup Race in '91 in San Diego. Saw it up close and personal while patrolling the course.

clownpuncher
06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I worked the Cup Race in '91 in San Diego. Saw it up close and personal while patrolling the course.
Is that the one when Dennis Conner and crew spanked Australia?
That series of races didn't seem much like racing, more like embarrasing for the Aussies.

burbanite
06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Go NZL92!!!!!!!!!!!

Boa1277
06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I worked that race also, I ran a yacht for Citizen watch company. The CEO was a big supporter of Dennis Connor, I even took a ride on the catamaran, very cool sail boat, the only problem I just really dont like sail boats...It was a great experience for a 24yr old kid...The starts were insane, by far the best part of the race...

boatsnblondes
06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Can not find it on directv..amazing....anyone carrying it stateside??? I love sailing, and have sailed those yachts many times...great fun....and faster than you would ever believe with just the jib....

yopengo
06-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Can not find it on directv..amazing....anyone carrying it stateside??? I love sailing, and have sailed those yachts many times...great fun....and faster than you would ever believe with just the jib....
Direct has it on the VS's channel (old OLN). What a stupid name VS...WTF.:confused: Dam Cantards.

Cheap Thrills
06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
The starts were insane, by far the best part of the race...
Yeah, Because you're still close enough to shore to bail out in case you have thoughts about running into something like This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PpU8MUbHE&mode=related&search=) :D
C.T. :wink:

burbanite
06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
You can also watch and listen online at http://www.americascup.com/en/news/index.php Great computer graphics in real time and live commentary. If you can't watch on Vs then this is pretty damn good.
Real close race today, my team came out on top but not with any margin, the new rules have made the racing even closer, especially the options at the turn buoys.
Coming from a country with a population of around 4 million I am not ashamed to say that I am "one eyed" when it comes to events such as this and back my fellow countrymen 100%. Sometimes though, it seemed to be NZers racing against other NZers because so many were head hunted by other teams, kind of took some of the fun away...

burbanite
06-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Live, now on VS!!!!
Tight start, Luna Rossa wins the Starboard side but the NZ boat has a slight lead. Sailing conditions perfect.

burbanite
06-02-2007, 05:47 AM
NZL92 ahead 22 seconds at the first mark and 35 seconds at the next. Easily covering Luna Rossa.

boatsnblondes
06-02-2007, 08:02 PM
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!! Boat cop...thanks bro for posting this, I woulda missed it....this is one of my favorite sports.....too bad they can't get them things on Havazoo....huh???:D

burbanite
06-02-2007, 08:41 PM
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!! Boat cop...thanks bro for posting this, I woulda missed it....this is one of my favorite sports.....too bad they can't get them things on Havazoo....huh???:D
Tune in again tomorrow. http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/32595/?tf=ACup_ArticleView.tpl

burbanite
06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
5 - 0
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6NZL92.jpg

boatsnblondes
06-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Should be a GREAT race, great rematch, great time. The Kiwi's are spoiling to get back at the Swiss, they will get thier chance.....I think the Italians sailed flawlessly, got the starts, the got the sails up flawlessly, in the end, all things being eqaul, the Kiwi boat is just a DAMN FAST HULL!!!!!! Hope the swiss are taking notice, they will have thier hands full if the boat isn't running on a par with the Kiwi boat....should be great to watch two top notch teams go head to head. I think both boats are equal, and this race will be a shoot out between the two best sailing teams in the world.....CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!:D

burbanite
06-07-2007, 07:43 AM
I think both boats are equal, and this race will be a shoot out between the two best sailing teams in the world.....CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!:D
Can't wait for the "big one". At least now the teams will have a chance to do some more development before going into the final, had the LV Cup dragged on it would have left little chance to improve the NZ boat. The kick to that is that we might see an improvement or you might see a disaster, depending on how the match up works.
Alinghi have been racing against anyone who would go up against them, even NZL92 took them on which surprised me! Having said that it is often the case where the two boats abandon the race part way through, once they have gathered the necessary data they tend to wave off and not show their entire hand.
A mismatch is the worst thing that could happen as was the case during the last AC in New Zealand. The Swiss, (read NZ's "other" boat...;) ), had a much more reliable machine and just drove over the top of the Defenders.
I knew Grant Dalton, the Managing Director of this campaign, (still sails on the boat), when he was on NZ's Whitbread Round The World team, he took me on board that boat when it was in Portsmouth, England and it is something I will never forget. Peter Blake was the skipper and the crew were some of the fittest people I had ever met.
The work that goes on to mount one of these campaigns is phenomenal and they sure know how to spend money....:jawdrop: Makes my form of racing look cheap at $1,000,000/month.