PDA

View Full Version : Torrington bearing question

widowmaker
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm installing my timing gear onto my new camshaft with the torrington bearing. when I get it tight the cam will not turn?????????? This is with the rollmaster timing chain set with the Iwis chain? What am I missing.
When I install the stock timing gear (single roller from gm) it has the correct clearance and turns fine????

GofastRacer
06-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Is the cam gear machined for the bearing????.. Is the bearing properly indexed???

IMPATIENT 1
06-02-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm installing my timing gear onto my new camshaft with the torrington bearing. when I get it tight the cam will not turn?????????? This is with the rollmaster timing chain set with the Iwis chain? What am I missing.
When I install the stock timing gear (single roller from gm) it has the correct clearance and turns fine????
you don't still have the distributor in it do ya? if you do, you may need to loosen it up and let the cam slide forward a hair;) if that's not the prob, i'd say something isn't rite about your new chain and gear set.

widowmaker
06-02-2007, 07:20 AM
you don't still have the distributor in it do ya? if you do, you may need to loosen it up and let the cam slide forward a hair;) if that's not the prob, i'd say something isn't rite about your new chain and gear set.
No the heads aren't even on yet. no lifters either. the very inside part of the torrington bearing ( the part that doesn't move) is hitting against the thrust plate????????? Looks like the wrong part to me.

BDMar
06-02-2007, 07:51 AM
A little more info. Chevy? If so, Mark IV or Gen VI block? Did the bearing come with the timing set or are you adding it?

widowmaker
06-02-2007, 08:10 AM
A little more info. Chevy? If so, Mark IV or Gen VI block? Did the bearing come with the timing set or are you adding it?
Okay here it is it is a brand new zz502 crate motor short block, Gen VI. The bearing has been pressed onto the back of the timing gear. The bearing is what was supplied with the rollmaster timing chain set with iwis chain.

IMPATIENT 1
06-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Okay here it is it is a brand new zz502 crate motor short block, Gen VI. The bearing has been pressed onto the back of the timing gear. The bearing is what was supplied with the rollmaster timing chain set with iwis chain.
wow, i've never seen a bearing have to be pressed on, i don't like that idea at all. i run a cloyes hex-adjust and my bearing just lays in place, no clearence issues. even if the bearing is sticking out to far past the timing gear, it should still turn the cam. is the chain straight all the way down to the crank gear? if it isn't , it'll be hell to turn the mill and you'll get premature chain and gear wear reeealllly quik.

IMPATIENT 1
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
come to think of it, i used alittle moly grease to hold the bearing to the gear while i installed it so it would fall outta place while installing.

IMPATIENT 1
06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
here's a nice affordable chain set by cloyes to run on a roller cam. i've ran them before in previous motors i've built and they don't stretch and i've never had a clearence issue on sbc or bbc with em.i've ran them on mills with over 600lb rated springs without any probs or stretching, plus its only 59 bucks!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&category=33625&viewitem=&item=180113458244

widowmaker
06-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Everything lines up when tightened down. Most of all, and this is a really important part of the setup fits under the stock gen VI timing cover. So most timing chain set ups won't work with a gen VI motor under the stock cover

widowmaker
06-02-2007, 08:45 AM
http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDCS2090/StockLength45450296upBBChevroletProSeriesTimingSet .aspx
here is the info on the timing chain, everything fits just doesn't turn? I must be missing something. I am assuming that I still use the thrust plate??( I know dumb question because it keeps the cam from moving around.)

IMPATIENT 1
06-02-2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDCS2090/StockLength45450296upBBChevroletProSeriesTimingSet .aspx
here is the info on the timing chain, everything fits just doesn't turn? I must be missing something. I am assuming that I still use the thrust plate??( I know dumb question because it keeps the cam from moving around.)
if the oe block had a bolt on thrust plate(my gen 4 has a place for a plate to bolt on but i don't use the plate, just the bearing), i would assume you leave it off to run a t-bearing. might check on that but when i build bbf's with roller cams, i use the factory thrust plate that bolts on and no bearing on the gear since the plate does the job fine by itself. there's also 2 different length cam buttons too, so keep that in mind. the buttons with bearings are longer than the solid type cam buttons most of the time.

widowmaker
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
if the oe block had a bolt on thrust plate(my gen 4 has a place for a plate to bolt on but i don't use the plate, just the bearing), i would assume you leave it off to run a t-bearing. might check on that but when i build bbf's with roller cams, i use the factory thrust plate that bolts on and no bearing on the gear since the plate does the job fine by itself. there's also 2 different length cam buttons too, so keep that in mind. the buttons with bearings are longer than the solid type cam buttons most of the time.
Without the thrust plate the gears do not line up when the bearing presses against the block???

BDMar
06-03-2007, 09:48 AM
It has to have the thrust (retainer) plate on a Gen VI, that is what sets the end play and keeps the cam properly located. Is it the stock cam with the front machined for the thrust plate? I also have never seen a cam gear that has the Torrington bearing press on to the gear.
Start measuromg everything. Make sure you have the right cam gear for the Gen VI cam and thrust plate. It is hard to tell from the picture but it sure looks like a Mark IV Gear. The step on the front of a GenVI is a lot smaller than the Mark IV. I think you may have the wrong cam gear and it is crushing the Torrington bearing against the thrust plate before it is tightening against the cam. The quickest way to check is to measure the diameter of the cam where it goes through the thrust plate and measure the diameter of the cam gear where it would register on the cam. They should be the same diameter. That will tell you at least if it is the correct gear. Then start measuring depths etc.

Cs19
06-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Widow, is your daytona getting bottom work done right now? Boat looks familar.

widowmaker
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Yep, I stopped by on sunday and ended up seeing jeff and chatting for a minute and I saw that your boat was there too, along with that new super lightweight stealth. I can't wait to get it back. Were you there recently?

Cs19
06-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I was there last night. I think Archer is out of town so your deal might be in a holding pattern for a few days.

widowmaker
06-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I know. Probably get it back next week. Did you pick up your boat last night?