PDA

View Full Version : Near death experience, or at least near pain!

nodigg
06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
So like Bill says, we launch out of Windsor for an evening warm up cruise Friday night and check the nav lights first thing. Got a Havi virgin on board so we cruise the channel first and take a run at the Turtle which is PACKED so no stopping there. I motor just on plane around the island and past site 6 till we are a mile or so out in the open water and not in the boating lanes. (I thought) Turn off the motor and pop a top on the first cold one, get the tunes going and take a look around to see maybe two or three boats on the lake. Life is good.
I take a look straight ahead and there are red and green lights heading straight for us about a hundred yards dead ahead. What a mooron I'm thinking, another idiot who likes to run close to other boats instead of giving a wide berth. Still dead nuts on our bow and I start to think I better get underway so he can't spray us. I fire up and idle right, he moves with me. I idle left, he moves left. Now what, this guy wants to REALLY get close. 50 yards, 30 yards! WTF! Everybody screaming on my boat, Bill is about to go overboard. This guy is plowing water and his bow is 10-12feet up in the air and headed right up the middle of my boat! 20 yards! I slam reverse and full throttle and the back of the boat lifts up with a roar and the guy cranks hard to starboard and we catch some spray on our port bow.
Everyone is freaked and relieved, Bill is searching for all the expletives he can find and I motor over to the guy who is stopped dead in the water now. Bill wants me to get close enough for him to jump on board, so he can beat the crap out of him, I ask the captain WTF was he trying to do and he mumbles something under his breath about sorry. Some one on our boat says just get away from him but I am circling like a shark trying to get his numbers while bill is clutching my grab rails ready to jump and swim over if he has to to get to this guy. He keeps his numbers hidden from me by turning inside me till someone on board my boat says it looks like he may be holding a gun. The guy is TOTALLY out of it for whatever reason so I back off and he heads off towards the Landing and flips off his lights I guess so we can't see/follow him?
Anyway, we are all fine and we talked it to death over the weekend. Was he getting head? Did she/he duck under the cabin? Loaded? Drunk? Both? STOOPID? We'll never know but I SURE want to know WTF!?
I LOVE boating at night and have NEVER seen or heard anything likes this but then that's how quickly things can happen. That was CLOSE!

DSW
06-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Good reason to pack heat on this lake!:jawdrop:

Daytona100
06-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Thank god no one was hurt. I like to boat at night also its real peacefull and calm and no idiots at the launch ramps. Well now I know to keep my airhorn on deck just in case this happens to us. You always have to learn something from each experiance wether it be good or bad.

Keith E. Sayre
06-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Years ago, like 20 to be exact--there was a guy with his family sitting on a
pontoon boat at night have a BBQ out in front of Windsor when a boat coming
from the landing keeps coming closer and closer and closer until it goes right over the pontoon. Luckily everyone on the pontoon bailed at the last moment. The guy driving the other boat never saw the pontoon boat lights
because the lights from the city reflecting in the water made them all look
the same. Luckily noone was hurt but that would be scary. Since then I've
always looked extra hard when coming into town from the landing when there's a big reflection all over the water.
Keith Sayre

H20Advantage
06-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Now why does it have to be a GUN??? How about your standard AIRHORN and a SPOTLIGHT?? Less Lethal means that work better for everyone.

Quest4Fun
06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Glad to hear everyone was o.k., other than getting the heart pumping fast!
When we are out at night, especially just floating, we always have the searchlight ready at hand and when we hear a boat coming we'll illuminate our area as a precaution. Never can be too safe.

nodigg
06-02-2007, 09:00 AM
You mean for him?
Well, carrying a gun would only escalate things........
I'm not a hater at heart, if I EVER feel the need to carry a gun on a boat in Havasu it will be time for me to quit boating for good.

DSW
06-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Now why does it have to be a GUN??? How about your standard AIRHORN and a SPOTLIGHT?? Less Lethal means that work better for everyone.
He keeps his numbers hidden from me by turning inside me till someone on board my boat says it looks like he may be holding a gun. The guy is TOTALLY out of it for whatever reason so I back off and he heads off towards the Landing and flips off his lights I guess so we can't see/follow him?
Don't bring a airhorn to a gun fight!:D

DSW
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
You mean for him?
Well, carrying a gun would only escalate things........
I'm not a hater at heart, if I EVER feel the need to carry a gun on a boat in Havasu it will be time for me to quit boating for good.
Bad guys with guns are all over the place these days! Does this mean you won't leave the house? Or quit driving around all together? It's better to protect yourself and your family than be sorry or dead later. Maybe a gun would escalate the situation, but not having one could also.

nodigg
06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Bad guys with guns are all over the place these days! Does this mean you won't leave the house? Or quit driving around all together? It's better to protect yourself and your family than be sorry or dead later. Maybe a gun would escalate the situation, but not having one could also.
Bad guys with guns all over but I'm not one of them. I'm not giving up the lake just yet. I'm not afraid to leave the house or the country for that matter. I just don't feel the paranoia some do I guess. I can protect myself and my family in other ways and choose to do so on a daily basis. Did so the other night on the boat as a matter of fact.
It starts with a mouth, then goes to a fist, then a knife, then a gun, then a bigger gun, then more people join in, the next thing you know, Monica has a cigar where it don't belong.

mark49
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Anything that ole Fred and i can do for you???

Sin Cal
06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Rick glad to hear everyone is OK. I agree I like the lake at night. On Mohave we get into a clove and not on the open lake. That's MOHAVE not that other other lake:D

BajaMike
06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Rick glad to hear everyone is OK. I agree I like the lake at night. On Mohave we get into a clove and not on the open lake. That's MOHAVE not that other other lake:D
Look at Dale rubbing in the Havasu thing.......:D
Rick's boat had one of the best captains around, so his crew made it through that ordeal ok......lots of spaced our boaters wouldn't have even noticed the threat until it was too late.
Glad everyone is ok......yea, and another gun would have just escalated the situation.....lets not make it Tombstone and the OK Coral out there....remember, boating is "recreation".......

mark49
06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I love night boating. getting laid under the stars (Now i hope my wife doesn't find out)
Thus i purchased my newest boat surplus, included 50 cal full autos...
No drunk boater will ruin my sex life

STV_Keith
06-02-2007, 01:17 PM
In Parker, being that it's so narrow, we used to spotlight the side of our boat if someone was getting close so they could see a bigger cross-section and not just the nav lights. If that failed, we'd light them up with the spot for a second to get their attention. That's as far as it ever had to go.