PDA

View Full Version : water gear for kids

eman1625
06-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Does anybody have any recomendations as far as water gear for kids/toddlers? Looking for water shoes/vests. We are kind of having a hard time finding stuff for our little one, water shoes mainly.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Bow Tie Omega
06-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I do not know about in Riverside right now, but Costco out here in Avondale/Goodyear is selling the HO neoprene life jackets in sizes for 25 pounds on up out here for $39. These are the nice jackets that normally go for $70-$100. We just were happening to be walking by them, I was going to go to Sports Chalet the next day to buy a neoprene vest for my son and spend twice as much. They also have water shoes. If not, just go to your nearest Sports Chalet, Sportsman Warehouse, Big 5, etc.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Target and Wall Mart and Big 5.
Make sure the kids vests have the crotch strap,, and shoulder colors like yellow or orange are best, and fit snug.
99 cent store has boxes of cheap glow sticks that you can attach to their vests for nite runs.
Essential.
Best 99 cents you ever spent if they go overboard at nite.

Bow Tie Omega
06-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Target and Wall Mart and Big 5.
Make sure the kids vests have the crotch strap,, and shoulder colors like yellow or orange are best, and fit snug.
99 cent store has boxes of cheap glow sticks that you can attach to their vests for nite runs.
Essential.
I went to Walmart yesterday and they did not have squat, unless you wanted an oar, stink bait, treble hooks or 2 lb test. The glow sticks are great. WE used them in the Navy doing SAR during night evolutions, 2 on the rescue swimmer, 2 on the basket or rescue strop, and one on the hoist hook. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for the kids.

OCMerrill
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Essential.
I have never thought of this. Excellent Ross.
We tie these things to the kids at night when were camping in the desert. Hell, our black Lab is even lit green at night so she can be seen as well.
I never once thought about nuke lighting the ski vest for the night runs. You can always find us on the strip at night.
Our kids wear the soft flexable vests from Costco except at the time they were selling Jobe. Same exact thing as HO and very comfortable for them. The last time we were at Costco they had infant vests as well.
Good thing my kids like the vests because they don't get out of them until they are no where near the water.

Bow Tie Omega
06-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I have never thought of this. Excellent Ross.
We tie these things to the kids at night when were camping in the desert. Hell, our black Lab is even lit green at night so she can be seen as well.
I never once thought about nuke lighting the ski vest for the night runs. You can always find us on the strip at night.
Our kids wear the soft flexable vests from Costco except at the time they were selling Jobe. Same exact thing as HO and very comfortable for them. The last time we were at Costco they had infant vests as well.
Good thing my kids like the vests because they don't get out of them until they are no where near the water.
We are the same way, if we are at the river, and unless the kids are in bed, or we are at a resturaunt eating dinner, they have the vests on period, not an option. And since the vests are comfortable, the kids do not mind wearing them.

OCMerrill
06-02-2007, 01:38 PM
We are the same way, if we are at the river, and unless the kids are in bed, or we are at a resturaunt eating dinner, they have the vests on period, not an option. And since the vests are comfortable, the kids do not mind wearing them.
Same as you I figure why chance it. My kids have grown up this way and rarely complain about it.
My daughter was in the process of taking hers off standing on the dock bar at Roadrunner while I was ordering prime rib taco's. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and yelled at her to put it back on. All the drunk peeps clapped. My daughter bowed. It was funny.

Bow Tie Omega
06-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Same as you I figure why chance it. My kids have grown up this way and rarely complain about it.
My daughter was in the process of taking hers off standing on the dock bar at Roadrunner while I was ordering prime rib taco's. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and yelled at her to put it back on. All the drunk peeps clapped. My daughter bowed. It was funny.
LOL!

eman1625
06-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I do not know about in Riverside right now, but Costco out here in Avondale/Goodyear is selling the HO neoprene life jackets in sizes for 25 pounds on up out here for $39. These are the nice jackets that normally go for $70-$100. We just were happening to be walking by them, I was going to go to Sports Chalet the next day to buy a neoprene vest for my son and spend twice as much. They also have water shoes. If not, just go to your nearest Sports Chalet, Sportsman Warehouse, Big 5, etc.
Yeah we went to Sports Chalet today but they didn't carry the smaller water shoes. Did get a vest though. The shoes seem to be the hardest to find.

socaldj1
06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Tige in Corona had a great sale last weekend. They had a great assortment of kids stuff. Prices were great even their everyday price isn't too bad.

ElimJimsOtherHalf
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Bart's water Sports ..... www.bartswatersports.com
Overton's .... www.overtons.com

MBlaster
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
My kids hated the water shoes.
They kept filling with sand and rocks so Mrs.Mblaster went back to bear trap sandals.
Costco for rash guards and lifejackets.

Old school Ultra
06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I was at Sport Chalet last night and they have Kid Crocks and I think they had some kind of Aqua socks...

Twins+one
06-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Does anybody have any recomendations as far as water gear for kids/toddlers? Looking for water shoes/vests. We are kind of having a hard time finding stuff for our little one, water shoes mainly.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Our little ones, use the CROCS as water shoes. They are perfect for the boat. They do not trap any sand and the kids wear them in the water. I think they are $30 a pair. The vests at Costco are the best deal going right now. They have the infant ones and I think the toddler ones are 20-50 pounds for $25. They have all the padding up front and a crotch strap. My kids hate wearing thier vest but when we got these one they did not take them off all day. Hell I would have paid a $100 if I knew that was going to happen. Good luck!

Trailer Park Casanova
06-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I went to Walmart yesterday and they did not have squat, unless you wanted an oar, stink bait, treble hooks or 2 lb test. The glow sticks are great. WE used them in the Navy doing SAR during night evolutions, 2 on the rescue swimmer, 2 on the basket or rescue strop, and one on the hoist hook. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for the kids.
I just bought 4 new Obrien vests at Wall Mart for $29 each, excellent Dock line, new anchor rope, a USCG throw cushion ($7) and the kids all got new river sandals.
Depends on the Wall Mart location.
The Havasu Wall Mart is the best in the chain.
I usually shop big 5, but the big 5 in Simi sucks.