PDA

View Full Version : Reverse in a v-drive?

Revmasta
07-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Purchased a 1967 JE Byers boat. It has no reverse. Wondering if that is the fact for all v-drives or flatbottoms. And if it is difficult to control like that. Have not taken the boat out once yet.
Thanks.

infotraker
07-25-2003, 04:20 AM
Have fun with your boat ! Most vdrives below 21 ft do not have reverse. We paddle around a lot ! Just aim for where you want to go and all is ok. I've been in a 18 1/2 ft. Schiada flat since 1968 with no reverse and still love it althought I've been driving a 77 Sanger Pickle hydro for 2 years. You can install a velvet drive gear box and that will get you reverse but it might be expensive.

flattie
07-25-2003, 04:59 AM
If you reverse a Flat. Odds are you wil sink it

GofastRacer
07-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Flatbottoms=no reverse!.. :rolleyes:

V-Drive Tom
07-25-2003, 08:35 AM
EYEEEE BUCKO,
Get used to it,or go back to a BOW RIDER! :D
Your High Performance V-driven now!
TOM..

07-25-2003, 08:54 AM
I love watching v-drives with reverses...After I get done laughing my ass off I help them recover their boats. :D :D :D

Kurtis500
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
With my limited experience in my daycruiser, when you have reverse in a v-drive it doesnt steer worth a crap either. But its still reverese :D

roostwear
07-25-2003, 11:04 AM
V-Drive Tom:
EYEEEE BUCKO,
Get used to it,or go back to a BOW RIDER! :D
Your High Performance V-driven now!
TOM.. Damn! Tough crowd in here!

Itsahobby
07-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Same here. Best thing it is for is stoping when
around the dock. Kinda like a brake by rubberband. smile_sp
Kurtis500:
With my limited experience in my daycruiser, when you have reverse in a v-drive it doesnt steer worth a crap either. But its still reverese :D

DansBlown73Nordic
07-25-2003, 12:50 PM
When I bought my Schiada I thought great I now have reverse.... eek! Well guess what its not worth even thinking about adding to a Flatty!!!
It never fails if I need to go left it will only go right. The next time I need it the other way and burningm
The brake feature does work very well though. wink

63stevens
07-25-2003, 01:21 PM
I have a turbo 400 in my 63 stevens. Reverse is almost useless. The only thing it is good for is to stop your forward progress when putting it on the trailer or coming up to the beach or something like that. you can't steer it in reverse. it usually goes where it wants to and that is usually to the right. I like having neutral and second gear is great for the 5mph zone. Other than that most of the time it is in 3rd gear all the time or neutral. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/453redrock21-med.bmp

Revmasta
07-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the comments. I don't want to do laps around the river in reverse, just not going to be use to stopping without it. Sure I will get use to it and can't wait to crash. Meet me at the river anyone? :p

Rexone
07-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Once you ram a couple docks you'll get real used to it real quick.. wink
j/k... just be careful at first. :)

v-drive
07-26-2003, 05:16 AM
I only hit one dock. Fortunately it was in my dads boat 40 years ago. It absolutely never leaves you and was not a good day for the boat or myself.... :cool: v-drive

stilettovdrive
07-26-2003, 09:01 AM
V-drive, no reverse??="Get out of my way drive"
Who needs reverse when there are docks( and Ducks) to kill.
The viking

Jrocket
07-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Revmasta:
And if it is difficult to control like that. Have not taken the boat out once yet.
Thanks. Do ya have some pics of the boat so we know what to look out for? :D

stilettovdrive
07-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Yo, jrocket
Actually, due to shipping, my boat has never seen water, My v-drive has'nt arrived yet, so i'm still waiting.F...... anoying.
So a description of my current ride will be my dads Quicksilver dinghy, that i use to go fishing with the kids.
Looks a bit like a white coffin, without the cross and the lid thoug.
Unfortunaleley it's not fast enough to provide "roadkilled dinner" and it has reverse so the docks are safe too.
So if i feel an urge to slaugther something innocent, i will have to use my car, its a bad trade thoug, you get 25 bucks worth of pheasant, and 250 bucks of damage to the car. Not to mention stupid Questins like " Is that bacon "???
"No it's Michelin mxv tyretracks."
And things like "I don't like Grandma"
" Neither do i, She needs more Garlick".
Now, i think we are getting a little too far over in the morbid department, but as long as my v-drive hasn't shown i have no serious updates to the boat, so i will have to write some junk to keep in touch.
I hate shipping.
The viking.

damsam
07-30-2003, 02:26 PM
A reverse is not necessarly a good thing in a flatbottom. It is a good way to sink it or at least fill it with water. My fatbottom has a modified GM 400 Turbo tranny and it works great. The problem is if you hit it too hard in reverse it could cause the rear to squat and the water pours in. Push or paddle, it is a lot safer

dimarcobros
07-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Reverse in a V-Drive is like using the other hand.....you can do it but it doesn't help much. :D :D

stilettovdrive
07-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, i am cured.
I will throw the gearbox in the back of the garage and use direct drive.
If it's not much use anyway, you'd better save the weight, and gain the extra speed.
And Dimarcobros, I highly recommend a big piece of porkliver in stead of the left hand, but for gods sake take it out of the fridge in time.
The viking.

HM
07-31-2003, 09:18 AM
I have a 2speed Powerglide in my flattie, and it has reverse.
Reverse is only good for stopping quick, and backing up without regard to where you go - although it typically pulls back to the right.
I have never even came close to sinking it, but I do have a rather large splash gaurd.
Also, 1st gear with the 2speed makes for ticketless idling - which works nice for places like London Bridge.