PDA

View Full Version : Hull Cleaners

bikerboater
06-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Been useing Slimey Grimey for years and it works great. However the price of it has gotten ridiculous, like almost 30 bucks for the 1lb tub! I read the label and the prime ingrediant appears to be oxalic acid. This is also the main ingrediant in some wood deck cleaners which are at least half the money. Don't want to sound cheap but I dock & like to pull mine out every couple weeks and would rather put the extra money in the gas tank. Anyone else experimented with alternative cleaners?

76miller
06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Lime-a-way works really good, get the bottle that comes with a sprayer on it. Its under $5.00 at Home Depot, or even Rite Aid or Savon On. Spray it on, wait for about 5 minutes,and wipe it off. Dilute it a little bit also.

Konabud
06-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Try RV black streak remover, it's available at Camping World and I think I've even seen it at Walmart. It works great on everything, fiberglass, auto paint, it makes a great bug remover and even takes the diesel exhaust stains off the Dodge. Just spray it on, hit it with a soft brush and rinse well.

bikerboater
06-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I was looking for something you mix with water like the Slimey Grimey. I use it in a bug sprayer, usually takes about a gallon & 1/2 to do the whole bottom. Mon river grows good algae! My hand would fall off with a spray bottle. LOL I'm gonna check back at Lowes. The lime- away may be available in a concentrate. I'll post if I find a bulk product that works.

brwn234
07-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I took my 22zx out on the the potomac near Washington DC for the weekend before the 4th. I put it on the trailer and the whole bottom was brownish/orange. I tried lime-away on the sides. It took it off after 3 or 4 times of letting it sit for a minute. but the bottom is still brown. It would take me forever to do it that way. Any suggestions on somethign I can spray on with a big garden sprayer as somebody suggested above? thanks

bikerboater
07-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I get yellow/brown on mine too. I think it's the minerals in the water plus there's still seepage out of the abandoned coal mines around here. Like I said, Slimey Grimy works like a miracle but it's expensive. I just bought a gallon of deck brightener at Lowes that also has oaxolic acid as the main ingrediant. It's supposed to make 5 gallons mixed with water. Cost 18 bucks vrs 30 for a 1lb tub of Slimey Grimy. Boat is sitting in the water now. I'll post back with the results after I try it.